Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fred is on
Dec 25, 2007

Riders...
IN SPACE!
By the way, requesting thread title change: Game Center CX - His level of suck is just right.

I remembered that line during the Elec Man stage when he fell over and over, all the way back down to the beginning of the stage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pnumoman
Sep 26, 2008

I never get the last word, and it makes me very sad.

Snot Man posted:

By the way, requesting thread title change: Game Center CX - His level of suck is just right.

I remembered that line during the Elec Man stage when he fell over and over, all the way back down to the beginning of the stage.

Oh man, that quote sums up Arino on the show so perfectly. I mean, yeah, it's kinda insulting, but so drat true.

I love my perfect suck level middle aged Japanese comedian retro video game player dude. Do you know the Kacho indeed.

Obeast
Aug 26, 2006
Õ_~ ANIME BABE LOVER 2000 ~_Õ

zari-gani posted:

Keep in mind MM2 was in Season 2 while MM1 was Season 7.
I didn't realize that it was that long between MM1 and MM2. I guess it does make sense that he could tackle MM1. :shobon:

Son Ryo posted:

Like many, many games in the SNES and NES period, MM2 was made much easier when it was brought to America. The American hard mode is the Japanese normal mode.
The only difference between the difficulties in MM2 is how much health the bosses have. Normal mode bosses in the US version have less health whereas the hard mode bosses have the "normal" amount of health.

MM9 and 10 on XBLA/PSN/WiiWare have difficulty levels that change certain things about the stages to make them easier or harder like adding or removing platforms over areas with pits or spikes.

Jimmy Colorado
Apr 16, 2010

shrgnatlas posted:

Yeah, it looks like Arino will need all the support he can get!

Super Scope segment too, what a treat!

I've putzed around here as well as the freshverse site, but is there a solution to the "stream not found" problem some of us have been getting? Not that I already haven't missed the rebroadcast by a day! But I like having the stream on in the background. Thanks!

joek0
Oct 13, 2011
shrgnatlas has said that he had problems with the freshverse stream this week. He says he will fix the stream by the weekend or following week. He had the stream running Thursday morning just for GCCX and a few hours afterward. Also, the GCCX broadcast is on Sundays now.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Is there a good program to convert .mkv files into .avi files such that they retain their subtitles? I'd love my family to see the first Lemmings challenge; we stream videos from my laptop to the PS3, and the converter I usually use choked several times on that file.

SmockJoc
Oct 4, 2004

Obeast posted:

The only difference between the difficulties in MM2 is how much health the bosses have. Normal mode bosses in the US version have less health whereas the hard mode bosses have the "normal" amount of health.

Nope, there's far more differences than that. Normal mode has the enemy item drop rate increased by like 300% or so, resulting in the player obtaining 3 large energy refills in a single corridor. And in hard mode, several enemies have changes in their graphic and behavior when hit for the first time (the stack of cans and the seashell dudes for example).

genredleader
Jan 30, 2012

NBHS posted:

As for the difficulty curve, 1 is significantly more difficult than 2 or 3. That 4-tiered boss rush in the last Wily stage - with no E-cans or healing items at all - is the definition of brutal.

Actually... There IS a healing item you can use during that part. I don't remember if it regenerates everytime you die or if it's a one time only thing, but... Underneath the teleporter that leads to the boss rush, there is a Yashichi. It completely heals you and totally refills your weapons. Arino, in traditional Arino fashion, of course, completely ignored it. :p

quakster
Jul 21, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Hirayuki posted:

Is there a good program to convert .mkv files into .avi files such that they retain their subtitles? I'd love my family to see the first Lemmings challenge; we stream videos from my laptop to the PS3, and the converter I usually use choked several times on that file.
PS3 Media Server worked for me.

Tempura Wizard
Sep 15, 2006

spending all
spending
spending all my time

Son Ryo posted:

Like many, many games in the SNES and NES period, MM2 was made much easier when it was brought to America. The American hard mode is the Japanese normal mode.
There's actually not even a "normal mode" selection in the Japanese version, only one difficulty level is available. And agreed, Megaman is much more difficult than 2.

While we're nominating thread titles appearently, I really loved this one from the live steam event:
Game Center CX - Extensive Planning, Immediate Failure
(but the title is fine as it is maybe?)

jyrque
Sep 4, 2011

Gravy Boat 2k

Hirayuki posted:

Ditto for PS3 Media Server. Newest version streams pretty much anything to PS3 and if it doesn't, there's transcoded versions available through the media server. Of course, you'll need a network between your PC and PS3 for media server use.

Davzz
Jul 31, 2008
Haven't never played the original MM1 and only the PSP remake, what the heck did half of the pick-ups actually do? At first I thought they were points but the points didn't actually increase and I don't see MM's health increasing or anything.

The game actually looks kind of beta-ish, in a way.

Shingen
Jan 8, 2006

Useless people make for excellent target practice.

Davzz posted:

Haven't never played the original MM1 and only the PSP remake, what the heck did half of the pick-ups actually do? At first I thought they were points but the points didn't actually increase and I don't see MM's health increasing or anything.

The circle thingies added to a bonus counter when you beat the boss of the level.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!

Davzz posted:

Were you perhaps grabbing the ammo pickups? Those only fill up whichever weapon you have equipped. Grabbing them while using the Mega Buster does nothing.

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Much like with everything else in life, the Euros seem to have more sense on how to do things in a fun atmosphere without sucking the soul out of the event.

Davzz posted:

The circles were point balls but they get added up at the end of a level, not as you collect them.

The rest were like any other MM, blue for weapon and yellow for health.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Yeah, Mega Man 1 was actually a pretty rushed and sloppy release. Capcom is lucky it turned into such a gigantic franchise. Every once in a while you get this wildly successful and popular franchise where the first game kind of sucked. Mega Man is that. The degree to which the games were improved from 1 to 2 is just astounding.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Champignon posted:

There's actually not even a "normal mode" selection in the Japanese version, only one difficulty level is available. And agreed, Megaman is much more difficult than 2.

While we're nominating thread titles appearently, I really loved this one from the live steam event:
Game Center CX - Extensive Planning, Immediate Failure
(but the title is fine as it is maybe?)

Which is basically like Top Gear's "ambitious but rubbish" and/or "engineering excellence", thus going back full circle to the title we've got.

serialrobinson
Oct 29, 2011
I haven't been able to stop watching the opening to AD Boogie. For some reason it totally embodies what I imagined Japanese TV in the early 90s to look/sound like. Plus I can't get that song out of my head.

rdbbb
Jul 26, 2011

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

Yeah, Mega Man 1 was actually a pretty rushed and sloppy release. Capcom is lucky it turned into such a gigantic franchise. Every once in a while you get this wildly successful and popular franchise where the first game kind of sucked. Mega Man is that. The degree to which the games were improved from 1 to 2 is just astounding.

Sure, but I wouldn't call it "rushed." How about just "a freshman effort where not everybody knew what they were doing until they blew it all out for the next time."

Huzzah!
Sep 15, 2007

Malnutrition is scarier than any beastie.

rdbbb posted:

Sure, but I wouldn't call it "rushed." How about just "a freshman effort where not everybody knew what they were doing until they blew it all out for the next time."

Yeah, the game really didn't get rushed till Mega Man 3.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Huzzah! posted:

Hey hey hey, you're not allowed to diss the game that gave us the Snake Man theme. :mad:

(edit) oh god drat it. :saddowns:

Ciaphas fucked around with this message at 01:42 on Mar 11, 2012

Jimmy Colorado
Apr 16, 2010

rdbbb posted:

I remember seeing or reading (possibly both: a subtitled interview!) with the Capcom guys responsible for Street Fighter II, how they were surprised that players comboed hits together, as they didn't realize that's how they programmed the hit detection. The programmers considered it a bug.

Huzzah! posted:

This is clever. I like this.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

joek0 posted:

shrgnatlas has said that he had problems with the freshverse stream this week. He says he will fix the stream by the weekend or following week. He had the stream running Thursday morning just for GCCX and a few hours afterward. Also, the GCCX broadcast is on Sundays now.

shrgnatlas, or someone else that could answer this for me. Are we going to have the rebroadcast on the stream this weekend?

When you say the broadcast is on Sunday midnight at EST, does that mean at Sunday, 11:59 PM EST, we should get ready for the rebroadcast? (because you could take it to also mean 12:01 AM on sunday 'morning')

joek0
Oct 13, 2011

Ineffiable posted:

shrgnatlas, or someone else that could answer this for me. Are we going to have the rebroadcast on the stream this weekend?

When you say the broadcast is on Sunday midnight at EST, does that mean at Sunday, 11:59 PM EST, we should get ready for the rebroadcast? (because you could take it to also mean 12:01 AM on sunday 'morning')

After checking the stream, the stream is still down. shrgnatlas is still working on fixing the stream. He was reminding us that the rebroadcast starts on Sundays instead of Saturdays from before. atlas also said that the rebroadcast may or may no be put up this weekend. The stream needs to be fixed first.

Keyboard Kid
Sep 12, 2006

If you stay here too long, you'll end up frying your brain. Yes, you will. No, you will...not. Yesno, you will won't.
I can't tell if he's being serious or making a Rush joke here, but MM3 actually was rushed, and it shows. It's buggy, has many odd design choices, has extreme lag issues (try playing the first 10 seconds of Top Man's stage), and there's of course the fact that it has... one line of dialogue (there's no intro) despite them trying to do something with Protoman. The music's great though.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

PS3 Media Server worked wonderfully. Thanks so much for pointing me in the right direction!

Wendell
May 11, 2003

What odd design choices? What bugs? What NES game doesn't suffer from slowdown at times? Megaman 3 was not rushed (good Rush joke though), it was given a proper development cycle after the team built Megaman 2 in their spare time to prove it was viable.

ReWinter
Nov 23, 2008

Perpetually Perturbed

Wendell posted:

What odd design choices? What bugs? What NES game doesn't suffer from slowdown at times? Megaman 3 was not rushed (good Rush joke though), it was given a proper development cycle after the team built Megaman 2 in their spare time to prove it was viable.

Keiji Inafune posted:

"I knew that if we had more time to polish it, we could do a lot of things better, make it a better game, but the company said that we needed to release it. The whole environment behind what went into the production of the game is what I least favored. Numbers one and two – I really wanted to make the games; I was so excited about them. Number three – it just turned very different."

That's Inafune in a 2007 interview in Nintendo Power, at least according to Wikipedia. The joke works on multiple levels!

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

My joke detection ineptitude aside I'll still thump anyone who calls 3 a bad game. :colbert:

Keyboard Kid
Sep 12, 2006

If you stay here too long, you'll end up frying your brain. Yes, you will. No, you will...not. Yesno, you will won't.
Mega Man 3 is an excellent game (easily one of the best in the NES series), but if you don't think it was rushed then you should probably take a closer look.

Wendell
May 11, 2003

Keyboard Kid posted:

Mega Man 3 is an excellent game (easily one of the best in the NES series), but if you don't think it was rushed then you should probably take a closer look.

What odd design choices? What bugs? I asked because I want to know.

NBHS
Mar 2, 2012

"I'm here for you. To make children smile, to make profits rise, I am the subservient of the network.

"... did we get all that on tape?"

Wendell posted:

What odd design choices? What bugs? I asked because I want to know.

Some of the weakness-loops don't make much sense. Snake Man takes 4x damage (1/7th total HP) from... His own weapon, and the Needle Cannon. But Needle Cannon implies having beaten Gemini Man, which implies having beaten... Snake Man.

Admittedly, 2 wasn't much better (Metal Blade is, was, and always will be the most obscenely broken Mega Man weapon), but the loops weren't nearly as tangled. There's some oddness around Crash-Flash-Quick Men, but that was likely to give ol' Speedy there extra weakness since Flash Stopper can't actually kill him outright.

Long story short, 3 breaks down into two distinct loops: Top-Shadow-Spark-Magnet-Hard loop and Snake-Gemini-Needle loop. And Snake Man continues to be an outright bastard.

Davzz
Jul 31, 2008
The only bug I remember in Megaman 3 is Top Spin draining energy rapidly sometimes, I can't remember the exact details, I believe it's if you try to use it while you're under invincibility frames or something.

But who uses Top Spin anyway right?

(It's kind of an underrated weapon. I mean, I find more use for Top Spin than Search Snake)

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!
Another odd design choice in Mega Man 3 was the way the Wily stages were. The Wily levels were fairly short, and there are pretty much constant powerups in those levels. In Wily 4 an enemy made of scrap metal that throws junk blocks at you appears for the first time. This is in spite of the fact that it would have made sense to put that enemy in the trash chute sections of Spark Man's stage.

edit: A minor nitpick but during the Yellow Devil fight in that game he has an attack where he breaks into bouncing columns. The hitbox for his standing form appears before the last column gets into position meaning you can take damage despite not visually appearing to touch anything.

quakster
Jul 21, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
MM3 definitely has a full circle. Top > Shadow > Snake > Gemini > Needle > Spark > Magnet > Hard

Some weapons are kinda Metal Blade-y in that they work on multiple bosses.

The lovely Wily levels were due to the game getting rushed.

quakster fucked around with this message at 07:22 on Mar 11, 2012

NBHS
Mar 2, 2012

"I'm here for you. To make children smile, to make profits rise, I am the subservient of the network.

"... did we get all that on tape?"

quakster posted:

MM3 definitely has a full circle. Top > Shadow > Snake > Gemini > Needle > Spark > Magnet > Hard

Some weapons are kinda Metal Blade-y in that they work on multiple bosses.

The lovely Wily levels were due to the game getting rushed.

Snake man only takes 2 damage (1/14th total HP) from Shadow Blades. They're a bit easier to land on him due to aiming, but Snakes and Needles are both twice as effective. Same with Spark Man; Needles only do 2 damage while Spark and Shadow each do 4. The loops as I posed them had each weapon in the cycle doing 4-7 damage.

Also, Magnet Man and Top Man are the only robot masters to take 2 damage from Mega Buster shots, making them the logical in-points. But they're on the same loop. The fact that Arino survived 28 hits on Snake Man is kinda impressive.

Data can be found here: http://www.mmhp.net/GameHints/MM3-Data.html

Fulla Lizards!
Sep 12, 2004

Mega Man 3 also has a bunch of weird unused stuff. For instance, a couple of songs are longer than what you would normally hear in game, but they get cut off early. There's some more info here.

13/f/cali posted:

edit: A minor nitpick but during the Yellow Devil fight in that game he has an attack where he breaks into bouncing columns. The hitbox for his standing form appears before the last column gets into position meaning you can take damage despite not visually appearing to touch anything.

Holy crap, somehow I never realized this was happening! I always thought it was because the columns had bad hitboxes like MM2 Wily Machine's shots.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

I just had a realization: we're probably getting a new AD next month. Takahashi has been the AD for a full year and with the staff even longer than that. It's long past time that he moves on to another position or show. So when season sixteen starts next month we're likely going to have a new AD. Takahashi is going to be a tough act to follow...

Bocc Kob
Oct 26, 2010
Every boss is weak against the Mega Buster, weapon of men. :c00lbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scrublord Prime
Nov 27, 2007

NBHS posted:

The fact that Arino survived 28 hits on Snake Man is kinda impressive.

Snakeman has a really simple easy to dodge pattern though. All it takes to avoid him is get to the middle pillar -> jump over him as he approaches -> get back on pillar while mashing shoot. Besides when you are learning his pattern you're more likely to take damage by trying to kill him faster because 28 shots in a braindead pattern is pretty boring.

While we're on the subject of Megaman 3, here's the ultimate :spergin: post about it that covers everything the game did right, wrong, and when Capcom was being completely lazy. Also he beat the game with minimal weapon usage and without taking damage unless necessary.