Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Tunga posted:

What's considered the best tool for dual monitor window management these days? UltraMon/MultiMon? We all run Win 7.

What are you looking for? Windows 7 is pretty great on it's own with 2+ monitors due to Win+<Arrow Key>.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

Sporting displayfusion here. I have to say it fairly impressive and has a host of features that are worth the 30 bucks (Bought a respective license for my home computer AND work).

Yes win+arrow does work, but the extended taskbar is pretty much 1:1 of the native taskbar. You get a start button (which will react to a windows key command if your active on the other monitors), apps, and date/time.

There are also little features that round out the experience. For example, I heavily use the title bar buttons for quick move from screen to screen and the quick extend across the monitors. Add to that I set it up to grab flickr for my backgrounds.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

incoherent posted:

Sporting displayfusion here. I have to say it fairly impressive and has a host of features that are worth the 30 bucks.
Ditto here. I have three monitors and having a separate task bar on each is a huge deal for me. So is having the task bar clock, but that's mostly because I'm lazy. I seriously would have paid the $30 just for the task bar, but the other features can be pretty nice, too.

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

You mean we still have another game to go through?!
Fallen Rib
What I like about Display Fusion is how you can use it to make any windows snap to each other, and make hot keys to resize windows to specific sizes. It helps because I like having Chrome take 3/4 of my screen, and a skype chat or something take up the last quarter.

ppp
Feb 13, 2012

by angerbot

Phone posted:

What are you looking for? Windows 7 is pretty great on it's own with 2+ monitors due to Win+<Arrow Key>.

Winsplit revolution is free and works better than the windows solution imo.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

incoherent posted:

Sporting displayfusion here. I have to say it fairly impressive and has a host of features that are worth the 30 bucks (Bought a respective license for my home computer AND work).
Thanks, I had a look around and found this after some Googling so I am trying it out at home, it seems really nice. I'm not sure my boss will want to buy it for everyone but I'll probably grab two licenses for myself (home+work) and let the rest of my office whine to my boss if they want it.

L33t_Kefka
Jul 16, 2000

My 1337 littl3 magic us3r, put 0n this cr0wn, bitch! H4W H4W! I 0wn j00!!!!

movax posted:

Have no personal experience with it, but the specs look OK to me. IPS panel, excellent. It being 1920x1080 vs. 1920x1200 is your personal preference. You could do a quick price-check to see how low the Dell of comparable size is, I suppose, but I don't think you'll be disappointed with the LG display, especially if you're coming from a TN.

I am actually coming from an old CRT that I love to death but must part with as it is starting to die. Thanks for the feedback, I will ordering it soon.

Another question I have as i went looking at monitors in a brick and mortar store today, is that why is the viewing angle on LCD monitors so bad compared to LCD TVs it seems? I looked at various TVs from various angles and for the most part they looked good, but when going over to the monitors only the IPS monitor looked good from an extreme angle. Why is this?

L33t_Kefka fucked around with this message at 03:11 on Mar 12, 2012

Zhentar
Sep 28, 2003

Brilliant Master Genius
They don't generally make LCD TVs with TN panels. Typically, they are some variety of VA panel, which tend to lie in between TN and IPS for both cost and image quality.

RyceCube
Dec 22, 2003
Can anyone recommend monitor mounts?

Juriko
Jan 28, 2006
Whats your feature list and price range?

RyceCube
Dec 22, 2003
Need two monitors mounted, would like height and swivel adjustments. One 27", one 24".

I have a glass desk so I dont know if I need it wall mounted or could use one that clasps onto my desk?

Tedronai66
Aug 24, 2006
Better to Reign in Hell...

ppp posted:

:stare: this looks like something I'd actually use once my work pc gets upgraded.

twice burned ice
Dec 29, 2008

My stove defies the laws of physics!
Perhaps not the best place to ask this, but is there any way to use an RCA input on a VGA monitor? Perhaps this is a ridiculous thought, but it seems like it might be possible.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

ppp posted:

Seconding this. It's great.

peepsalot
Apr 24, 2007

PEEP THIS...
           BITCH!

I'm a little confused on the difference in Gross and Net weight for a monitor

http://www.viewsonic.com/products/desktop-monitors/lcd/x-series/vx2450wmled.htm posted:

Gross 13.7 lb. (6.2 kg)
Net With Stand 9.9 lb. (4.5 kg)
Net Without Stand 8.9 lb. (4.0 kg)

Does net weight mean just the monitor without power brick and cables?

I'm looking for a very light 23-24" with VESA mount

Strong Female
Jul 27, 2010

I don't think you've been paying attention

peepsalot posted:

I'm looking for a very light 23-24" with VESA mount

Maybe it's the weight of the packaging?

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

twice burned ice posted:

Perhaps not the best place to ask this, but is there any way to use an RCA input on a VGA monitor? Perhaps this is a ridiculous thought, but it seems like it might be possible.
Sure there is. You'll need a converter box, though. Happily, they're quite cheap if you're not looking for anything special. Note that you probably won't get the best picture quality from a $30 box, but even a much more expensive one can only do so much--most RCA sources were meant for low-res TV's, and 640x480 just doesn't look too good on most monitors (unless you're ok with viewing it in a tiny-rear end window).

peepsalot posted:

Yes, you've got it correct. Gross weight is usually what's used as shipping weight, so it will include all the bricks, cables, pamphlets, packaging, etc. Net weight is just the monitor itself, and usually does not include the power-brick and whatnot.

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
Okay, I just got a U3011 but I'm having some issues with the clarity. Specifically, I'm getting some "graininess". For example, a normal explorer window isn't a flat expanse of white, but multiple points of brightness. This is in comparison with my Dell 24wpfl

I'm using Dual Link DVI (based on the cord and OP) and a quick google didn't reveal anything. I ran the self-diagnostics and didn't notice anything. Am I just crazy and just not used to it? Is it an issue with not using Displayport instead? Everything else is fine, except for flat, light colour backgrounds. Is it possible my video card is too poo poo? (using a 4850 or 4870, waiting on the 7850s).

Shadowhand00
Jan 23, 2006

Golden Bear is ever watching; day by day he prowls, and when he hears the tread of lowly Stanfurd red,from his Lair he fiercely growls.
Toilet Rascal

rapeface posted:

Okay, I just got a U3011 but I'm having some issues with the clarity. Specifically, I'm getting some "graininess". For example, a normal explorer window isn't a flat expanse of white, but multiple points of brightness. This is in comparison with my Dell 24wpfl

I'm using Dual Link DVI (based on the cord and OP) and a quick google didn't reveal anything. I ran the self-diagnostics and didn't notice anything. Am I just crazy and just not used to it? Is it an issue with not using Displayport instead? Everything else is fine, except for flat, light colour backgrounds. Is it possible my video card is too poo poo? (using a 4850 or 4870, waiting on the 7850s).

Could it be the screen is so large you're heavily noticing the anti-glare material? (Just a guess).

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Shadowhand00 posted:

Could it be the screen is so large you're heavily noticing the anti-glare material? (Just a guess).

I'm going to guess it's maybe this. Don't stare at expanses of white, I guess.

But it's barely noticeable to me:- maybe you can take a picture so we can possibly identify the issue further?

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
Expanses of white is where the AG coating is most visible on my 3008, so I'm tossing my vote to this as well. "Crystaline" would be how I'd describe it, but a sorta graininess would also work.

Priam
Jun 27, 2004

Gwaihir posted:

Expanses of white is where the AG coating is most visible on my 3008, so I'm tossing my vote to this as well. "Crystaline" would be how I'd describe it, but a sorta graininess would also work.

Yeah that's the glare coating. Someone at LG must really, really love those coatings despite the nonstop complaints.

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007
My Korean 27 inch 1440P IPS monitor arrived today: 0 dead pixels/stuck pixels, no light bleeding, $371 shipped to the US.

Only "downside" is that I didn't get one of the ones that can unofficially support 97hz refresh rate.

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

It looks like the company that makes the Catleap monitors is offering a factory-guaranteed "perfect pixel" version for an extra fee. The Green-Sum seller on ebay is offering this version for an extra $60. It might be worth it if you are on the fence but don't want to chance getting a flawed screen.

Shadowhand00
Jan 23, 2006

Golden Bear is ever watching; day by day he prowls, and when he hears the tread of lowly Stanfurd red,from his Lair he fiercely growls.
Toilet Rascal

Priam posted:

Yeah that's the glare coating. Someone at LG must really, really love those coatings despite the nonstop complaints.

I think its a Dell thing, considering the Korean IPSs and Apple CDs don't come with it.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

Shadowhand00 posted:

I think its a Dell thing, considering the Korean IPSs and Apple CDs don't come with it.
It's a business-class thing: the assumption is that you'll be using it in an office or production studio of some sort, where you very well may not be able to completely control the lighting. Therefore Dell has opted for a heavier AG coating, which solves the problem of glare, at the expense of some color-pop--a feature that's not really a big selling point with businesses. Apple, on the other hand, has an entirely different way of approaching monitors, and apparently it's "Make 'dem colors POP! Who cares that you can see your face in it in almost any lighting condition?" Personally I wish both companies offered more options in that regard (I'd like a Dell Ultrasharp with a lighter AG coating, and an Apple laptop with any AG coating), but such is life.

Vidaeus
Jan 27, 2007

Cats are gonna cat.

rapeface posted:

I just got a U3011 yesterday and I think everyone else here has it right about the anti-glare. However, it is a beautiful display and is HUGE - in a good way. Takes a while to get used to the hugeness. Going from cheapo 19" - 22" TNs for the past 7 years or so to this thing is like being able to see again. I should know as I got my eyes lasered a couple years ago from terrible vision (-4.00 sphere in both eyes for anyone that knows what that means) to better than 20/20.

Also, "7850s" as in plural? How much are they worth for two? I bought a 7970 to power the Dell, haven't really had much chance to put it through its paces yet, but I tried Mass Effect 3 on 2560x1600 with everything on and it was buttery smooth with everything on max.

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
Arcane Velocity was like.
ME3 is silly undemanding. If you had turned off VSync and the internal frame limiter, it was probably running at over 200 FPS even at full resolution with driver-forced 4x MSAA.

Vidaeus
Jan 27, 2007

Cats are gonna cat.

Factory Factory posted:

ME3 is silly undemanding. If you had turned off VSync and the internal frame limiter, it was probably running at over 200 FPS even at full resolution with driver-forced 4x MSAA.

What can I try for a good workout? I had to turn a bunch of stuff off for Witcher 2 on my old 5870 at 1920x1200. Also Skyrim I suppose, had to turn a bunch of stuff down on that for it to run 30fps+ all the time. Didn't have much time to muck around with it yesterday. Modern Warfare 3 ran pretty nice previously so it can't be too demanding.

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
Arcane Velocity was like.
Metro 2033, Battlefield 3, Witcher 2 is actually a pretty good stress test, Shogun 2, Batman: Arkham City in DX11 mode.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
Crysis 2 with the DX11 patch still makes my 580 angry. It's about the only thing that gets it up to ~70 with the fan blowing noticeably loud.

Would be worse on an AMD card since the tessellation implementation has a serious Nvidia bias (though they might have cleared this up in the 79xx series?)

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

I find it a bit ironic seeing as ATI spearheaded tesselation hardware on GPUs with TRUFORM, a long forgotten and little-used feature

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT
I've got a couple of questions about the U2412M (which I'm extremely pleased with, so thanks for the recommendations):

1. Are there any obvious tweaks I should make to the out of the box settings? I'm mostly just flipping between the presets at the moment because really I know poo poo all about colours and monitors etc. I'm probably not going to splash out on one of the full on calibration kits with a colorimeter, and I'm not sure whether I should go with the ones that involve you eyeballing stuff and changing settings, as they seem to rely on personal perception, and I don't think I'm a very good judge of that sort of thing. I found colour profiles on the disc that came with it, but I'm not sure what I'm meant to do with them.

2. On the subject of the presets: are these good are they just a bit of a gimmick? I've been using the Text setting for studying and I like that it dims things a bit, and pretty much the Standard setting for everything else. I tried the Game one but it basically just seems super-bright, although it does look nice. Why is the Movie one so blue looking, is this how films are meant to look? And what's the "Multimedia" one meant to be used for?

Either way, it looks great so none of these things is really an issue, just curiosity mainly.

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
Yeah, I think you guys are right about the anti-glare. Crystaline is definitely a word a I'd use to describe the effect. I only really notice it while browsing SA or something, which is a small price to pay for 30" of pixels.

I originally thought of 6950s in crossfire since dual memory cards was recommended as better performance per price than a single GPU. Since the 7850s basically replace the 6950s except with better power consumption I figure I'd get them.

Filthee Fingas
Jan 5, 2004
It's great being left handed..you can jerk off and still keep the mouse on the right side of the keyboard

Shmoogy posted:

My Korean 27 inch 1440P IPS monitor arrived today: 0 dead pixels/stuck pixels, no light bleeding, $371 shipped to the US.

Only "downside" is that I didn't get one of the ones that can unofficially support 97hz refresh rate.

Yeah those appear to be possible with the Feb builds. All the March builds appear to be (at least what I've read) only able to do 60. I opted for the Crossover. No real reviews yet on it but the adjustable height/pivot looked good. If it does manage to get over 60, I'll see it as a bonus. Fact remains: 1440p IPS monitor for just over 400 US is amazing.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

rapeface posted:

I originally thought of 6950s in crossfire since dual memory cards was recommended as better performance per price than a single GPU. Since the 7850s basically replace the 6950s except with better power consumption I figure I'd get them.
Just remember that you'll only ever get single-card performance on any windowed app/game, including fullscreen-windowed modes (as are popular for MMOs and the like). Not saying 2x7850's is a bad idea, just make sure that it's best for your usage patterns.

Fatal
Jul 29, 2004

I'm gunna kill you BITCH!!!

DrDork posted:

Just remember that you'll only ever get single-card performance on any windowed app/game, including fullscreen-windowed modes (as are popular for MMOs and the like). Not saying 2x7850's is a bad idea, just make sure that it's best for your usage patterns.

Not to mention microstutter. That's why I went for one 7970 for my ZR30W (coming tomorrow!) but I can't say that I have experience with CF/SLI, just that I've read a bunch of complaints.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

DrDork posted:

I wasn't aware of this, where can I read about it?

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
Yeah, I didn't see any of that anywhere. CrossFire/SLI is rather confusing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

Shmoogy posted:

Where did you order?