Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kenny Rogers
Sep 7, 2007

Chapter One:
When I first saw Sparky, he reminded me of my favorite comb. He was missing a lot of teeth.

Ponies ate my Bagel posted:

On that note is anyone interested in hearing about my stupidly simple storage solution for the DRZ? I managed to add 50+ liters of soft storage to my bike that can be removed in under 30 seconds and adds no mounting weight...It's a really stupidly simple set up.
<-------- Yes, Absolutely.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ponies ate my Bagel
Nov 25, 2006

by T. Finninho

Jabs posted:

<-------- Yes, Absolutely.

You take a camping backpack like so:

It's better if you get one with a frame, I have internal frames and they work fine. I have not tested an external yet, but I think it would do ok too.

Make sure that it has a hip belt that buckles, 2" buckles are preferred. Take nylon webbing and mount it to your passenger peg wing. Pick up an entire plastic buckle and attach it to the nylon webbing, it needs to correspond to the clips on the backpack. It's your call weather you mount the bag on it's face or on it's back - either seems to work, but the orientation of the clips determines how it'll attach.

With your new clips installed you can snap your backpack directly down to your bike seat. Take two bungies and run them through the loops of the bag and fasten it to the tail section. If the bag you get has a strap for across your chest you can also use that, but use bungies too! Your bag is now 75 mph safe and can be detached by unsnapping the buckles and releasing the bungies. It's also a hiking backpack so walking it up a nasty trail is much easier than lugging panniers.

*important poo poo*
Make SURE you take the time to tighten all the backpack straps and trim away any excess hanging strap, or fasten it securely to the top of the bag. Remember to account for travel, don't leave it hanging 5 inches from the rear wheel if you have 10 inches of travel....

Don't get a bag that's to big or stuff is going to be shifting around. A bag with multiple draw strings around it to tighten it up if it's not full is good.

Don't forget to leave yourself enough strap to carry it like a backpack.

Pros:
Light weight super easy to remove without any tools.
Good storage capacity and many many options in bags.
Cheap - I got my bags on clearance at REI for under $100, the buckles and nylon webbing were less than $20.
Lots of bags come with a waterproof cover that can be deployed while attached to the bike.

Cons:
Weak - it's a backpack, if you put it down poo poo's gonna hit the ground.
Not waterproof - unless you get a bag with a cover it's just a backpack.
The mounting hardware can be torn up in a crash. I carry 3' of 2" webbing and a spare buckle.

I'll try and get some pics up tomorrow.

Armyman25
Sep 6, 2005
Could you post a picture of how you have that mounted?

GI Joe jobs
Jun 25, 2005

🎅🤜🤛👷
Motorcycle bowling ball, activate!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rQr8YkzEEWQ&t=50s

I'd want this thing to inflate before I hit the van, which would get complicated fast...

Ponies ate my Bagel
Nov 25, 2006

by T. Finninho

Gullous posted:

Motorcycle bowling ball, activate!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rQr8YkzEEWQ&t=50s

I'd want this thing to inflate before I hit the van, which would get complicated fast...

Two words, ejector seat!:hellyeah:

Dellikose
Oct 10, 2003
I think cagers would try to hit people with this suit so they could have spontaneous games of car soccer.

soy
Jul 7, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Ponies ate my Bagel posted:

I'll try and get some pics up tomorrow.

I actually really want to attempt this with my DRZ tonight as some friends got a campsite and this would be a lot more fun than driving out there in my Prius.

I've got a osprey atmos 50 backpack that looks something like this:

Internal frame, etc.. I go backpacking/camping a lot, I think I would go a lot more if I could incorp motorcycle into the equation.

I'm having a hard time visualizing in my head how this would actually work. Also, what parts I need from REI. I'm always up for an REI shopping trip.

FuzzyWuzzyBear
Sep 8, 2003

Best bros for life:

Yesterday was a good day. 120 miles on the SV (with bonus freshly-scorched kneepuck from parking lot practice) and 30 miles on the cyclocross bike with a group cycle ride that night. Really good weather for New England, around 60-65 degrees.

Ponies ate my Bagel
Nov 25, 2006

by T. Finninho

soy posted:

I actually really want to attempt this with my DRZ tonight as some friends got a campsite and this would be a lot more fun than driving out there in my Prius.

I've got a osprey atmos 50 backpack that looks something like this:

Internal frame, etc.. I go backpacking/camping a lot, I think I would go a lot more if I could incorp motorcycle into the equation.

I'm having a hard time visualizing in my head how this would actually work. Also, what parts I need from REI. I'm always up for an REI shopping trip.

You need nylon webbing and plastic buckles the same size/type as whats on your bag. Alternatively you can buy 2 sets of buckles and change what is on your bag if it has some stupid custom buckle.

Attach it to your passenger peg wing.

Does that make more sense? I'll try to get pics of mine up tonight, I'm just slammed right now.

GanjamonII
Mar 24, 2001
I do something similar with my backpack. Basically just strap it to the back seat. I don't have extra straps and buckles, the pack has a waist strap which I just put around the tail section of the bike. The strap and buckle will get dirty if that matters to you. I then use a couple of bungie cords to secure the pack completely.

I don't have an internal frame in my pack and I don't really think it is essential though it probably helps it keep its shape better.

In this config I've tested it to extended 80+ cruising and some peaks of 120+ without any problems. It stays very secure. The only thing to watch out for is what Ponies mentioned about loose straps.

sigtrap
Apr 14, 2002

MOIST

FuzzyWuzzyBear posted:

Best bros for life:

Is that a LeMond?

FuzzyWuzzyBear
Sep 8, 2003

sigtrap posted:

Is that a LeMond?

2001 Lemond Poprad in Reynolds 853 steel. :allears:

redscare
Aug 14, 2003
We've reached peak MotoJournal

http://blip.tv/motojournal/extreme-258-km-h-sur-la-glace-vive-match-porsche-gt3-rs-face-a-yamaha-yzf-1000-r1-6012378

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Dang. :stare:

Wonder what happened at Arjeplog this winter. Or how these things work. Various teams from both TV, newspapers and magazines have done bits up there.

makka-setan
Jan 21, 2004

Happy camping.

Ola posted:

Wonder what happened at Arjeplog this winter. Or how these things work. Various teams from both TV, newspapers and magazines have done bits up there.

They do a lot of winter condition testing up there. Well maintained testing racing circuits all winter long. And the winter is long.

Bixington
Feb 27, 2011

made me feel all nippley inside my tittychest
Time to get a cape.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

What's with the current ice racing trend?

Top Gear goes on the ice with a Ferrari and a Bentley, Chris Harris hoons about in an Audi on the very same frozen lake and now Motojournal goes completely bonkers with spiked tires and everything.

Not that I'm complaining, mind. ice racing is awesome.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Ice racers, you say?

Pvt. Public
Sep 9, 2004

I am become Death, the Destroyer of Worlds.

It is telling me the episode is no longer available. :(

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker

Pvt. Public posted:

It is telling me the episode is no longer available. :(

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OX_weIUwd_o

edit: I can never seem to get automatic hd quality working... Oh well. Do it manual.

Sir Cornelius
Oct 30, 2011

Sagebrush posted:

Ice racers, you say?

I tried to imagine 50 ways to terminally hurt yourself on that thing. I stopped at 98.

Pvt. Public
Sep 9, 2004

I am become Death, the Destroyer of Worlds.
:neckbeard: MotoJournal best journal.

Pretty Cool Name
Jan 8, 2010

wat

Ice speedway is pretty awesome.

sigtrap
Apr 14, 2002

MOIST

FuzzyWuzzyBear posted:

2001 Lemond Poprad in Reynolds 853 steel. :allears:

:hfive:

(BigSky SLT)

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker
Yes, I finally found a 'make faded plastics look good again' that I lost. Whoo!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S59fh-6Saaw

Nuevo
May 23, 2006

:eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop:
Fun Shoe

KARMA! posted:

Hahahhhahaha!

Not only is this useful as poo poo, this guy is pretty goddamn hilarious. "Don't be disgusting like me."

HNasty
Jul 17, 2005

Video games are for children. Dr. Who, Sherlock and Community need to be canceled. Firefly sucked.

Everything you like is bad, everything I like is good and cool. I've had sex. I've stuck my big rod into a babe and it was good. There's proof I've had sex, where's yours ?

KARMA! posted:

Subscribed, this guy owns.

Also this just arrived in the mail :)

Showa 3 way adjustable forks form a Monster S4R that are direct bolt on replacements for the ones on my GT1000. :) $400 on ebay.

Captain Pike
Jul 29, 2003

KARMA! posted:

Regarding the paint:

1. Where exactly was he using it and why?
2. Was he calling the paint "Black Matte"?

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

race tires on road are a great idea, ask me!

I was out and about and chatting to a few oldschool fellas that I chat to at the pub today and one of them invited me back to his shed to check out his bikes. This is just one of the sheds these guys have between them and it's 4 of this particular fellows bikes - he has 3 more. Anyway, got some pictures of the bikes and of me in two of them, christ they're nice.

Got to start the blue and red one (all of them are kickstart) and actually managed to do it! Was pretty happy with myself for being able to do it, never kickstarted a real bike before (the shitbox dirtbikes we have don't really count, and they have a push start anyway).

I couldn't believe how much more vibration they have just sitting there compared to my ZZR250. I also can't believe how complicated it is to prep them to start :O

All Triumph 750cc's I believe, although with different compression rates.

e: all of these are hand rebuilt from scratch basically (and mint).

gently caress it's nice to sit on them :O Massive grin when I first fired them up. :D :D

Shimrod fucked around with this message at 11:11 on Mar 10, 2012

Sir Cornelius
Oct 30, 2011

KARMA! posted:

True, but if you don't want to go all redneck, this works really well:

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.
Man those Triumphs are gorgeous, thanks for sharing, Shimrod

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

race tires on road are a great idea, ask me!

Snowdens Secret posted:

Man those Triumphs are gorgeous, thanks for sharing, Shimrod

More than happy to - I'll try and get a video of them if I remember next time I'm over there if the owner doesn't mind.

I wish my Camera Phone was better, there is literally no flaws on any of those bikes - perfect paint, perfect chrome, everything.

There was also a Triumph America there that's 5 or 6 years old but I forgot to get a picture of it.

xd
Sep 28, 2001

glorifying my tragic destiny..

Captain Pike posted:

Regarding the paint:

1. Where exactly was he using it and why?
2. Was he calling the paint "Black Matte"?

He was using a heat gun which is like a hairdryer on steroids. Coincidentally, Harbor Freight is having some kind of tent sale this weekend and I got one for $9.99

edit: sorry, my reading comprehension sucks. I think the paint was just to clean it up a little after the heat gun.

xd fucked around with this message at 18:10 on Mar 10, 2012

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

xd posted:

He was using a heat gun

if you'd bothered to listen, he is clearly using a "hot pistol" :colbert:

Sir Cornelius
Oct 30, 2011

Sagebrush posted:

if you'd bothered to listen, he is clearly using a "hot pistol" :colbert:

A hot pistol would have provided a lot more speed-holes, jerk.

soy
Jul 7, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
So that DRZ kitting worked out pretty well. Took this earlier this afternoon after camping, up in Malibu area around Point Magu.

xd
Sep 28, 2001

glorifying my tragic destiny..
Welcome to 1989!

Rear cowl doubles as seat rest :cool:

xd fucked around with this message at 03:07 on Mar 11, 2012

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
I just saw an older Buell (99 Cyclone M2) on craigslist today. Seeing these images reminds me that they really got a lot better near the end.

This one also had a bunch of chrome and I'm pretty sure open pipes (for that harley sound)

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

soy posted:

So that DRZ kitting worked out pretty well. Took this earlier this afternoon after camping, up in Malibu area around Point Magu.

Where exactly did you camp in malibu?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

soy
Jul 7, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
leo carillo state beach, its nice there but i like point magu campground better as you can hear the waves