Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

I'm running a m0n0wall VM on ESX 4, and it keeps rebooting every ten minutes or so. I think it's a kernel error but it automatically reboots so I don't have time to get a screenshot (still trying). Nothing's changed with the config and the rest of the VM's seem fine. Any ideas?

edit: The error is as follows -

Mar 7 19:22:49 kernel: Rebooting...
Mar 7 19:22:49 kernel: Automatic reboot in 15 seconds - press a key on the console to abort
Mar 7 19:22:49 kernel: Cannot dump. No dump device defined.
Mar 7 19:22:49 kernel: Uptime: 9m53s
Mar 7 19:22:49 kernel: panic: kmem_malloc(4096): kmem_map too small: 25952256 total allocated

The VM has 96MB memory - this has been working fine for almost a year. It shows about 33 megs being used. Also, m0n0wall docs say:

2.5.4. RAM
The stock m0n0wall images will not use more than 64 MB RAM under any circumstance. You can install as much memory as you like, but even with all features enabled and heavy loads, you will not exhaust 64 MB.

Bob Morales fucked around with this message at 15:40 on Mar 7, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ninja Rope
Oct 22, 2005

Wee.
I don't know anything about m0n0wall, but if you were to treat it as a standard FreeBSD box you generally get that error when you run out of a specific type of kernel memory. Is the OS 64 or 32 bits? Do you mind sharing the output of:

sysctl vm.kmem_size_min vm.kmem_size_max vm.kmem_size vm.kmem_size_scale
sysctl hw.physmem hw.usermem hw.realmem
sysctl hw.machine_arch
sysctl hw.pagesize hw.pagesizes hw.availpages

My first guess would be to take kmem_size and kmem_size_max and double them. These changes have to go into /boot/loader.conf.

Cyborganizer
Mar 10, 2004
I am a complete idiot when it comes to home networking, so I apologize for this really elementary question regarding my home network.

I moved into a house that has a GE Smart Connection Center hub and that has cat5 cables coming in from 5 rooms in the house, in addition to all of the other major wiring (analog cable and whatnot). Currently, the cat5's are setup for the phone system and all the cat5's from each room run to a phone module in the connection center (there is not ethernet module or switch in the center). I am using VOIP (ooma) with DECT 6.0 phones so there's no need for the phone jacks. My current "network" is a 6 year old POS wireless router that's connected directly to the cable modem located behind my living room TV. What I'm looking to accomplish is to utilize the cat5's as hardline ethernet lines so I don't have to rely solely on the wireless connection.

Would it be as simple as moving the cable modem to the connection center, connecting the router to the modem and then connecting each individual room's cat5 to the router? Which brings me to another question...since I have 5 rooms that need the connection and the router only has 4 "out" ports, should I consider an ethernet switch? If I use the switch to feed into the connection center, could I then connect the router in one of the other rooms? From my understanding, the optimal order of connection goes modem > router > switch, but then I'd be short one port for the fifth room and I would ideally like to have the router in a different from from the connection center.

Again, I know next to nothing about networking, so any help would be appreciated.

Ninja Rope
Oct 22, 2005

Wee.
I've lived in places with those GE boxes and they want you to pay GE to come in and terminate the ends and install a switch. Instead, I use a cable tester to figure out which cable goes where and crimp the end of all of the cat5 cables that lead to jacks I want to use. If you do that you may have to restore it to the previous configuration before you move out.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
I have never heard of those GE Hubs, is it just a big enclosure with a switch in it?

Cyborganizer
Mar 10, 2004

Inspector_71 posted:

I have never heard of those GE Hubs, is it just a big enclosure with a switch in it?

I guess that's what it is. It has inputs for my landline, intercom system, audio system (speakers in every room), coax inputs and security. There are about 50 CAT5 cables squeezed in there. Apparently my model doesn't have an ethernet switch module, so I'd have to set up my own.

Ninja Rope
Oct 22, 2005

Wee.
I've never had one that fancy. It's a box in the wall where all the cables go, and mine have had a device that acts as a phone and a tv cable splitter. I had one that plugged the ethernet into the phone splitter but it didn't do anything for ethernet (either it didn't work or the ethernet cables shouldn't have been plugged in there). There is a mounting point for what I assume is an ethernet switch and a phone number to call to pay GE to put that switch in too.

InstantInfidel
Jan 9, 2010

BEST :10bux: I EVER SPENT
I just got a v2 E4200, and I've been trying to figure out if I can use a USB hub with it. I know you couldn't with the first version, but I can't find out anything about this one. Anyone tried it and know?

Not an Anthem
Apr 28, 2003

I'm a fucking pain machine and if you even touch my fucking car I WILL FUCKING DESTROY YOU.
Hi. 72 hour newegg sale, kind of want to finally upgrade. Using a stock wrt54gl from.. I'm not even sure, whenever it first came out.

My networking goal is to stream hd movies from my desktop in my bedroom to my laptop in my living room, to be played on a projector. I live in a pretty small/average apartment (chicago, not new york small).

I want to get this: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833122326

NETGEAR WNDR3700-100NAS

I need an N adapter for my laptop and desktop then. I am new to N.. how do I match an adapter to this thing? Any dual band adapter or do I look for 300mpbs+ specifically listed?

text editor
Jan 8, 2007

Not an Anthem posted:

Hi. 72 hour newegg sale, kind of want to finally upgrade. Using a stock wrt54gl from.. I'm not even sure, whenever it first came out.

My networking goal is to stream hd movies from my desktop in my bedroom to my laptop in my living room, to be played on a projector. I live in a pretty small/average apartment (chicago, not new york small).

I want to get this: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833122326

NETGEAR WNDR3700-100NAS

I need an N adapter for my laptop and desktop then. I am new to N.. how do I match an adapter to this thing? Any dual band adapter or do I look for 300mpbs+ specifically listed?

Speaking of things being on sale on newegg, I got and email notifying me that some Intel gigabit desktop NICs are on sale:

EXPI9301CTBLK PCIe x1, 82574L Controller
PWLA8391GT PCI, 82541PI Controller

Intel NICs are the poo poo, in my experience they have been 100% stable, give me the fastest throughput and the lowest speeds.

Also, they are incredibly well supported across operating systems (almost always out of the box, even on Linux, FreeBSD, and OpenBSD)

Pretty much worth the extra $30 for you system (well, 23-25 on sale now)

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
If you want to take a shot at me get in line, line
1 2 3!
Baby, I've had all my shots and I'm fine

Golbez posted:

For a while, I've been getting disconnected when downloading too much too fast. I can hit 1.5MB down for a few seconds, but if it's sustained for more than a minute, I lose connection for about 30 seconds. I was thinking it was my ISP and only happening when my torrents were set too fast, but now it's happening for normal downloads, which makes me think it's my router. It's a WRT54GL flashed with dd-wrt, v24-sp2. I tried restarting it but no change. Is my router hosed, or does anyone know some way to find out what exactly the problem could be? I'm wired in; I haven't had a chance to ask my girlfriend if her connection drops out at the same time.

elite_garbage_man posted:

Try connecting your computer directly to the modem.

A month later and I decided to try (home alone, network not being used).

I unplugged the cable leading from the modem to my router at the modem. I then disconnected the cable leading from my computer to the router at the router, and plugged it into the modem. Nothing happened. After a reboot, still had no connection. Restored original configuration and as you can see I'm online.

Why would this happen, and how do I get around it?

Still having the problem. My WRT54GL is about four years old, the computer's network port is on a five year old motherboard, but while I have plans to replace the computer later this year, I tend to not touch routers until I know they're the weak link in the chain.

Triikan
Feb 23, 2007
Most Loved
Whenever you change the device connected to a cable modem, you must reboot the cable modem. The cable modem is giving a connection to the device based on MAC address, and you can't simply expect it to start sending data to a new mac address without resetting it first.

This applies to hooking up a computer or switching routers.

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
1 2 3!

Triikan posted:

Whenever you change the device connected to a cable modem, you must reboot the cable modem. The cable modem is giving a connection to the device based on MAC address, and you can't simply expect it to start sending data to a new mac address without resetting it first.

This applies to hooking up a computer or switching routers.

There is a reset button on the back. My modem has a battery so I don't want to unhook that and restart it completely. Could that reset it from being able to connect to the larger network?

Edit: Plugged PC into modem, hit the reset button, and I'm online. What's happened so far:

* Started several torrents and large downloads, they peaked at 1700k.
* My connection died a couple of minutes later. So it's not the router, and it's not my computer as other devices have gone down in the past when this has happened. So it's either the modem or the ISP.
* About 60 seconds later, my connection came back.
* It's been running at 1.7MB/sec since. It has not died again.

I've never been so annoyed at my internet working; if it had died again, I'd call Mediacom and complain since I could reproduce it.

Any ideas why this would happen?

Golbez fucked around with this message at 02:42 on Mar 11, 2012

Wheelchair Stunts
Dec 17, 2005
If someone owns their own cable modem, is there a way to modify/replace the firmware my ISP uploads to it with one that with both give me a connection and give me access to native features of the modem like SNMP?

Sikreci
Mar 23, 2006

I've got my router to a point through trying different Tomato builds that now it'll finally keep a wireless connection up without crashing every few hours. Having another minor issue though, my ping times seem pretty wonky. Pinging yahoo.com gives me a minimum of 33ms, a maximum of 531 ms, and an average of 311ms. Pinging yahoo.com from a wired connection to the router gives me a pretty consistent ping of around 28ms, with a maximum of maybe 50ms or so. Pinging Google is pretty much the same story. Pinging 192.168.1.1 from wireless yields consistent <10ms times.

This isn't that big of a deal since I don't use any wireless devices for gaming (yet), but I'd like to know if I should blame the router, or if it's because of, well, this:

(vanfosson-2863 is my router)

wizard sticks
Feb 16, 2005
Hey everyone, have a networking question Re: apple tv and an airport express/switch:

I have an ATV2, an airport express, and a Linksys SD208 switch and I am trying to hard-wire the ATV into the switch so I can stream 720p over the network. Current setup is this:

Modem -> Switch Port#1 -> Switch Port #2 goes to Airport Express which is on wifi -> Switch Port #3 is hardwired to the ATV.

The Airport Express is broadcasting a network that my laptop is on. I have filesharing turned on but the ATV won't find my laptop. If I set up the ATV on Wifi (and not wired into the switch) it finds my laptop and iTunes accounts. Is this because I'm using a switch and not a router? Is there any way to make the switch act as a router-type connection so I can have it on the same network as my laptop?

fagalicious
Jan 15, 2004

WHAT FAG

wizard sticks posted:

Hey everyone, have a networking question Re: apple tv and an airport express/switch:

I have an ATV2, an airport express, and a Linksys SD208 switch and I am trying to hard-wire the ATV into the switch so I can stream 720p over the network. Current setup is this:

Modem -> Switch Port#1 -> Switch Port #2 goes to Airport Express which is on wifi -> Switch Port #3 is hardwired to the ATV.

The Airport Express is broadcasting a network that my laptop is on. I have filesharing turned on but the ATV won't find my laptop. If I set up the ATV on Wifi (and not wired into the switch) it finds my laptop and iTunes accounts. Is this because I'm using a switch and not a router? Is there any way to make the switch act as a router-type connection so I can have it on the same network as my laptop?

Unless you have an all in one modem, you need a router. The airport express only has a single network jack so if you run it as a router, only the wifi clients will be on the same lan, anything else on the switch is getting its own public ip. Get a router instead of a switch.

wizard sticks
Feb 16, 2005

fagalicious posted:

Unless you have an all in one modem, you need a router. The airport express only has a single network jack so if you run it as a router, only the wifi clients will be on the same lan, anything else on the switch is getting its own public ip. Get a router instead of a switch.

Yeah that's what I thought. I have another router but not with me - just wanted to see if it was possible with the switch.

Triikan
Feb 23, 2007
Most Loved

AceSnyp3r posted:

I've got my router to a point through trying different Tomato builds that now it'll finally keep a wireless connection up without crashing every few hours. Having another minor issue though, my ping times seem pretty wonky. Pinging yahoo.com gives me a minimum of 33ms, a maximum of 531 ms, and an average of 311ms. Pinging yahoo.com from a wired connection to the router gives me a pretty consistent ping of around 28ms, with a maximum of maybe 50ms or so. Pinging Google is pretty much the same story. Pinging 192.168.1.1 from wireless yields consistent <10ms times.

This isn't that big of a deal since I don't use any wireless devices for gaming (yet), but I'd like to know if I should blame the router, or if it's because of, well, this:

(vanfosson-2863 is my router)

I'd say its likely you're getting high pings due to the congestion. Try switching to another channel, or move to a 5ghz router.

JumboJetDreams
Jun 3, 2008
I'm forced to use wireless for the next 6 months from the next house over. My wife and I are living in her grandparents guest house which has no cable line, so we get our internet from their house (I'm paying for it). Right now I have a monoprice n router set up at their house with a poorly crafted windsurfer pointing out the window to the closest window of the guest house where I have a WRTGS v3 runnind DDWRT in bridge mode.

General internet usage is fine, but I get random lag spikes in games from what I assume is packet loss. What is the cheapest way for me fix the spikes without just running conduit with ethernet over here (not happening)?

Heresiarch
Oct 6, 2005

Literature is not exhaustible, for the sufficient and simple reason that no single book is. A book is not an isolated being: it is a relationship, an axis of innumerable relationships.

JumboJetDreams posted:

monoprice n router

Any idea if these can run any third-party firmware?

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

JumboJetDreams posted:

I'm forced to use wireless for the next 6 months from the next house over. My wife and I are living in her grandparents guest house which has no cable line, so we get our internet from their house (I'm paying for it). Right now I have a monoprice n router set up at their house with a poorly crafted windsurfer pointing out the window to the closest window of the guest house where I have a WRTGS v3 runnind DDWRT in bridge mode.

General internet usage is fine, but I get random lag spikes in games from what I assume is packet loss. What is the cheapest way for me fix the spikes without just running conduit with ethernet over here (not happening)?

If it's just connection strength you could get or make a better directional antenna. There's dozens of youtube videos on making your own with a can, a colander and a pigtail or some thick paper and aluminum foil for improving an existing antenna. If it's the routers themselves, then you may need better routers. I'd try antennas first and see if that helps, since it's cheaper than purchasing a new router, and if it is related to signal strength, then a new router wouldn't help much to begin with.

JumboJetDreams
Jun 3, 2008

"Heresiarch posted:

Any idea if these can run any third-party firmware?
I don't think so, but I'm pretty sure the stock firmware is modified Tomato.

Rexxed posted:

If it's just connection strength you could get or make a better directional antenna. There's dozens of youtube videos on making your own with a can, a colander and a pigtail or some thick paper and aluminum foil for improving an existing antenna. If it's the routers themselves, then you may need better routers. I'd try antennas first and see if that helps, since it's cheaper than purchasing a new router, and if it is related to signal strength, then a new router wouldn't help much to begin with.

I'll try and add more antennas. Is there a general goon consensus on the best diy line of sight antenna?

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
1 2 3!

Golbez posted:

I've never been so annoyed at my internet working; if it had died again, I'd call Mediacom and complain since I could reproduce it.

Any ideas why this would happen?

Update: Since plugging my router back into the modem, it seemed fine for a couple of days, but now it's fallen back into its pattern of disconnecting me. :sigh:

Vaginal Engineer
Jan 23, 2007

Golbez posted:

Update: Since plugging my router back into the modem, it seemed fine for a couple of days, but now it's fallen back into its pattern of disconnecting me. :sigh:

I had very similar issues a little while ago and it turned out to be a network issue upstream of the ISP. You should definitely contact your ISP immediately, since it's either your modem or a network issue on their end.

Nighthand
Nov 4, 2009

what horror the gas

Looking to hopefully fix some network issues.

Quick version: router's wireless is dropping and seems to require rebooting the router to fix, but the wired connection is unaffected.

My ISP is Charter, my modem is a SB5101 Surfboard, and my router is a Linksys WRT400N with "Firmware: DD-WRT v24-sp2 (08/07/10) std"

Devices that connect wirelessly range from my and my gf's win7 laptops, my landlord's HP wireless printer (in his office that I can't access so I don't know what specifically it is) and occasionally his computer/tablet. The wired connection is used solely for the xbox for gaming and netflix.

Right around the time my landlord asked to tap into our network (and cut some off rent to do so) we started getting intermittent connection drops. The wireless just goes dead, I can't connect to the network at all. If I plug a cable in my laptop can connect just fine, and netflix still works on the xbox.

It sounds from my searching like it's an issue with too many connections at once, but it doesn't strictly happen when everything is on. I've had it disconnect when only my laptop and the printer are on the networked -- other devices being turned off. I'm not running torrents or p2p anything when it happens.

Today my computer's connection is acting significantly slower than normal, including taking long periods of time to load Google (the forums are faster, but still slower than normal.) ((Switching temporarily to the wired connection for the laptop, it's equally slow right now, so that may be unrelated.))

I can't figure out how to get the DD-WRT log working in the router -- I enable it and apply changes, and when the page refreshes it's disabled again. So I don't have logs from the router to peruse.

Edit: Switching temporarily to a direct connection with the modem, removing the router from the system, shows I still have slowdown, so that's a different issue. Also it could be mentioned that the router is fairly new. I only got it for my birthday last September.

Nighthand fucked around with this message at 14:12 on Mar 14, 2012

RagingBoner
Jan 10, 2006

Real Wood Pencil
My home network is 3 PCs all running Windows 7. This is going to sound really lazy, but is there any way to force one of the computers on the network to open a browser and start loading a page from one of my other computers? Some sort of simple inter-network messenger would be ok too, something I could just netsend a url with, and copy and paste that url into the living room computer's browser. Basically I need to pre-buffer movies, my internet connection in the verdant hills of Arkansas is pretty slow.

UndyingShadow
May 15, 2006
You're looking ESPECIALLY shadowy this evening, Sir

RagingBoner posted:

My home network is 3 PCs all running Windows 7. This is going to sound really lazy, but is there any way to force one of the computers on the network to open a browser and start loading a page from one of my other computers? Some sort of simple inter-network messenger would be ok too, something I could just netsend a url with, and copy and paste that url into the living room computer's browser. Basically I need to pre-buffer movies, my internet connection in the verdant hills of Arkansas is pretty slow.

Try Remote Desktop?

UndyingShadow
May 15, 2006
You're looking ESPECIALLY shadowy this evening, Sir

Nighthand posted:

Looking to hopefully fix some network issues.

Quick version: router's wireless is dropping and seems to require rebooting the router to fix, but the wired connection is unaffected.

My ISP is Charter, my modem is a SB5101 Surfboard, and my router is a Linksys WRT400N with "Firmware: DD-WRT v24-sp2 (08/07/10) std"

Devices that connect wirelessly range from my and my gf's win7 laptops, my landlord's HP wireless printer (in his office that I can't access so I don't know what specifically it is) and occasionally his computer/tablet. The wired connection is used solely for the xbox for gaming and netflix.

Right around the time my landlord asked to tap into our network (and cut some off rent to do so) we started getting intermittent connection drops. The wireless just goes dead, I can't connect to the network at all. If I plug a cable in my laptop can connect just fine, and netflix still works on the xbox.

It sounds from my searching like it's an issue with too many connections at once, but it doesn't strictly happen when everything is on. I've had it disconnect when only my laptop and the printer are on the networked -- other devices being turned off. I'm not running torrents or p2p anything when it happens.

Today my computer's connection is acting significantly slower than normal, including taking long periods of time to load Google (the forums are faster, but still slower than normal.) ((Switching temporarily to the wired connection for the laptop, it's equally slow right now, so that may be unrelated.))

I can't figure out how to get the DD-WRT log working in the router -- I enable it and apply changes, and when the page refreshes it's disabled again. So I don't have logs from the router to peruse.

Edit: Switching temporarily to a direct connection with the modem, removing the router from the system, shows I still have slowdown, so that's a different issue. Also it could be mentioned that the router is fairly new. I only got it for my birthday last September.

Try setting your wireless mode to either G-Only or N-Only. I don't know why, but this seems to fix an inordinate amount of problems.

NOTinuyasha
Oct 17, 2006

The Great Twist

Nighthand posted:

The last properly functioning DD-WRT build for the WRT400N is this one right here, it's a bit newer and might solve some issues, but it also might break it completely.

Hiyoshi
Jun 27, 2003

The jig is up!

RagingBoner posted:

You could probably write a script to do that and then use PsExec from the Sysinternals suite to execute the script remotely. You can find the suite here: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb842062

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

This isn't really a home networking question per se, but hopefully it's close enough.

I have latency problems. I live in a ~70 unit apartment building (the network is courtesy of the landlord) and always blamed it on internal network congestion. But I'm here in the middle of the day and things are still lovely. I ran a trace route to Google, and lo and behold:

Brown Dog Networking is the network/ISP for the building. Would it be completely unreasonable to ask them to get their poo poo in order so that I can get a decent ping? Am I reading the trace route wrong? It looks like things get lovely as soon as they have to deal with their machines.

Nighthand
Nov 4, 2009

what horror the gas

UndyingShadow posted:

Try setting your wireless mode to either G-Only or N-Only. I don't know why, but this seems to fix an inordinate amount of problems.
Thanks, giving this a shot to see how it works. So far so good after a few hours, but the true test is if it lasts more than a day or two without dropping.

NOTinuyasha posted:

The last properly functioning DD-WRT build for the WRT400N is this one right here, it's a bit newer and might solve some issues, but it also might break it completely.
If the above doesn't work, I'll see about this.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Boxman posted:

This isn't really a home networking question per se, but hopefully it's close enough.

I have latency problems. I live in a ~70 unit apartment building (the network is courtesy of the landlord) and always blamed it on internal network congestion. But I'm here in the middle of the day and things are still lovely. I ran a trace route to Google, and lo and behold:

Brown Dog Networking is the network/ISP for the building. Would it be completely unreasonable to ask them to get their poo poo in order so that I can get a decent ping? Am I reading the trace route wrong? It looks like things get lovely as soon as they have to deal with their machines.

It's between the router at hop 2 and brown dog networks router at hop 3. So, it may not be on their end exactly, it could be the external interface on the router at hop 2, or the incoming interface on the router at hop 3, or the physical lines in between. You should try to find out which NAT router is hop 2, it's using the 10.x private network range while the router at hop 1 (I'm assuming this is yours) is using 192.168.x. It may be that there's not enough bandwidth for the whole building for the connection between routers 2 and 3, which would support what your landlord is saying, but if that's the case then it might be time to get more bandwidth.

To sum up, there's not enough information to definitively say that it is their fault, but there is enough evidence to show where the problem is.

Ragingsheep
Nov 7, 2009
Currently I'm running a bridged modem connected to my WNDR3700. Is it possible for me to be able to access the modem configuration page from the LAN?

Ninja Rope
Oct 22, 2005

Wee.
Your ping to the 12th hop look fine, so it's likely the browndognetworks routers are forwarding traffic acceptably but are under high CPU load and are slow to respond to direct pings. This is normal because pings to the device are treated as lower priority than routed traffic. Have you tested for packet loss?

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

Rexxed posted:

To sum up, there's not enough information to definitively say that it is their fault, but there is enough evidence to show where the problem is.

Hm. Thanks for the explanation. Wish I could do more with it, but what can you do. :shobon:

Ninja Rope posted:

Your ping to the 12th hop look fine, so it's likely the browndognetworks routers are forwarding traffic acceptably but are under high CPU load and are slow to respond to direct pings. This is normal because pings to the device are treated as lower priority than routed traffic. Have you tested for packet loss?

Just used dslreports.com ping test (is that ok? I literally just googled for a packet loss test), and its reporting no loss.

Nighthand
Nov 4, 2009

what horror the gas

Nighthand posted:

Thanks, giving this a shot to see how it works. So far so good after a few hours, but the true test is if it lasts more than a day or two without dropping.
If the above doesn't work, I'll see about this.

Setting ti G-only didn't prevent a crash a few minutes ago, so seems that didn't work. At the time my comp was idle with AIM and firefox open, my GF's was placing an order at gamestop, and I was signed into xbox live but playing offline. Doesn't seem like too huge a load.

Alpha Mayo
Jan 15, 2007
hi how are you?
there was this racist piece of shit in your av so I fixed it
you're welcome
pay it forward~

Boxman posted:

Try pinging 209.40.238.33 from a different Internet connection (or external website that lets you ping IPs, I think dslreports will do that) at the same time the issue is occurring on your side. If those pings are fine while yours are bad, the issue is not on their side but lack of bandwidth/congestion or a faulty line or even ethernet cable between your apartment's router & their router.
Also, you can truly rule out the connection between your router and theirs by running a ping test like this in separate windows simultaneously:
ping -t 192.168.1.1
ping -t 10.10.121.1
ping -t 209.40.238.33

When the issue is occuring, look for the first one with messed up pings. Tracert can be misleading sometimes, even if it said the 2nd hop is OK it is possible the issue didn't present itself at the time it was being pinged.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Wheelchair Stunts posted:

If someone owns their own cable modem, is there a way to modify/replace the firmware my ISP uploads to it with one that with both give me a connection and give me access to native features of the modem like SNMP?

Maybe. Some modems are hacked to poo poo, most others are untouched. Mind you that most of these "debug" firmwares are intended for use in uncapping or spoofing a cable connection, so look in to the legalities in your jurisdiction, but as long as you're not using them to do things you shouldn't it's generally fine.

It sounds like your modem is owned by you but sold by the cable company and has their tweaked firmware on it. First I'd see if there's any public info on the plain OEM firmware and if you can do anything with that, otherwise you'll probably have to start poking around darker areas of the internet to pursue it further.

I know the Moto SB5100 was popular in that scene during the DOCSIS 2 days, maybe there's something comparable in the DOCSIS 3 world.