Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

letsgoflyers81
Aug 7, 2003

C IS FOR COOKIE!

big mean giraffe posted:

Most aftermarket extended batteries lie and rip you off from what I remember, so only buy OEM.

This. Here's a good resource that shows empirically that non-OEM extended batteries don't actually provide the capacity they claim.

http://batteryboss.org/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
Go on Ebay and find the cheapest extended battery with a custom back cover. They are like five-ten bucks shipped from China and I can say from experience that if they are double the physical size of an OEM, they are running twice the cells in parallel and give about twice the run time in real world scenarios. I've done this for six different phones and I've never been less than satisfied. Just sort Buy It Now "price+shipping=lowest first" and go hog wild.

Edit: Alternatively, what I prefer is for ten bucks or so you can get three normal size batteries and a wall charger that will do a batt and the phone at the same time. I did that with an Optimus V and had like three days of juice on me at any given time.

Zero VGS fucked around with this message at 16:59 on Mar 6, 2012

Kifisonfire
Jan 15, 2008

Has anyone with a Desire tried the Runnymede ROM, and if so what's the verdict? I'm more interested in the plethora of audio options and if it's helped in any way. My Desire has always been too quiet even at full volume for me. I'm running ICS at the moment, which is amazing, but the beta has it's setbacks and I would happily switch if it meant I could use my phone as an MP3 player again.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Kifisonfire posted:

Has anyone with a Desire tried the Runnymede ROM, and if so what's the verdict? I'm more interested in the plethora of audio options and if it's helped in any way. My Desire has always been too quiet even at full volume for me. I'm running ICS at the moment, which is amazing, but the beta has it's setbacks and I would happily switch if it meant I could use my phone as an MP3 player again.
Try Volume+.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
So what's the current state of rooting on the Nook Color? Not the new tablet, the original Color. I auto-nooted mine when it first came out, but that is now lacking and I'd assume they've ironed it out quite a bit by now... so what's the story? And how would I go about swapping to the new paradigm?

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Fuzz posted:

So what's the current state of rooting on the Nook Color? Not the new tablet, the original Color. I auto-nooted mine when it first came out, but that is now lacking and I'd assume they've ironed it out quite a bit by now... so what's the story? And how would I go about swapping to the new paradigm?
Look up fattires thread on xda. There's a fantastic CM9 for it that is functional enough to be a daily use tablet. I used mine for a month with it on it and loved it.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy
Yeah there's a guy that started doing nighties on fattire's stuff. I got a nightly, overclocked it to 1200 mhz, and it's had about two weeks of uptime on wifi so far.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
The following instructions apply only to the AT&T-branded, i777 model of the Galaxy S II. The one with the traditional four buttons at the bottom of the phone. If you have the i9100 model (with the big, iPhone style button at the bottom) than your instructions are different and easier.

CM9-ICS on the AT&T GS2 is usable, with drawbacks!

The Drawbacks:
1. Because the kernel is from the i9100, the CPU can not achieve deep sleep. This causes the screen to automatically light up to the lockscreen whenever it tries, which is like once a minute or so. This can be fixed by enforcing that the CPU be active 24/7, even when the screen is off. This means battery performance is not optimal as running some GB ROMs, but it's still very good and you can probably get through a day of moderate usage. I certainly had much worse battery life after updating to the glitched-out suckage of AT&T's one official OTA update.

2. Only the back and home hardware buttons are recognized, and home basically operates like back, meaning that if you're in a web page window you have to hit it a million times to go back until you reach your home page, then quit. This can be relieved by flashing an extra ZIP to enable the Galaxy Nexus style on-screen button panel at the bottom of the screen. Some people consider the hardware buttons usable, but without software you currently can't access the task switcher overlay.

3. You can't mount USB. People have been using wireless to get around this.

So, the real loss is some screen real estate and the retarded look of having two rows of buttons at the bottom of your phone (three if an app includes it's own panel!)

Instructions:
1. Go here and save the nightly with fixes package (first link) and the gapps link further down the page. Then go here and download the CM9 ENABLER link. Save all three .zips to your internal memory card.

2. In recovery, backup your poo poo and then wipe data/cache/dalvik and flash the ICS system ROM.

3. Reboot into ICS (if you flash gapps here they won't appear)

4. Once ICS has started, reboot into recovery again.

5. Flash gapps. If you wish for onscreen buttons, flash those too.

6. From the Google shop, download Wake Lock and run it. Select the button for PARTIAL_WAKE_LOCK and then check the box to start a service that will always run the CPU and stop the lockscreen bug.

Anyway, this deal is somewhat temporary, and may only be relevant for hours depending on how accurate various foreign branches of Samsung are with their estimates for ICS with the i9100.

Craptacular! fucked around with this message at 03:34 on Mar 9, 2012

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy
The i777 has no relation to the T-989 right? I thought it was the model number for the skyrocket but apparently not; AT&T has what, three SGS2 variants?

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
Two: the i777 (HSPA, Exynos CPU) and i727 (LTE/Skyrocket, Qualcomm CPU). The T-989 is the T-Mobile version (HSPA, Qualcomm CPU).

Mark Larson
Dec 27, 2003

Interesting...
I thought that the Exynos CPU in the AT&T version was the same as the Exynos CPU in the international version. In fact, I was going to buy an AT&T SGS2 based on that, thinking that it'll get ICS sooner thanks to its compatibility with the international version.

Oh Samsung, crusher of dreams, denier of hopes. :negative:

Kynetx
Jan 8, 2003

Full of ignorant tribalism. Kinda sad.
If they didn't have 5 versions of every product, they wouldn't be Samsung.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

Mark Larson posted:

I thought that the Exynos CPU in the AT&T version was the same as the Exynos CPU in the international version. In fact, I was going to buy an AT&T SGS2 based on that, thinking that it'll get ICS sooner thanks to its compatibility with the international version.

Oh Samsung, crusher of dreams, denier of hopes. :negative:
It is the same CPU, it's the phone modem or whatever you want to call it that is different.

You can flash "hellraised" international ROMs directly if you don't care about placing or receiving voice calls.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Mark Larson posted:

I thought that the Exynos CPU in the AT&T version was the same as the Exynos CPU in the international version.
It probably is the same CPU/SoC, but there's still a difference in some peripherals (even if it's just the hardware buttons) that makes the 9100 kernel not 100% compatible. For example, if there's a sensor or something that's not getting shutdown on suspend and generates spurious interrupts, that would definitely reawaken the device every minute.

The solution is to not run the 9100 kernel, or do a proper kernel port. I don't know what kernel CM9 is using on that device. If it's a source-less kernel from a leaked ICS build, I777 folks are hosed. If it's a ported GB kernel, someone needs to add I777 compatibility for it.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

ExcessBLarg! posted:

The solution is to not run the 9100 kernel, or do a proper kernel port. I don't know what kernel CM9 is using on that device. If it's a source-less kernel from a leaked ICS build, I777 folks are hosed. If it's a ported GB kernel, someone needs to add I777 compatibility for it.

Since I got the phone in late November, ICS came out for the 9100 but voice calls and the softkey buttons didn't work. The word on XDA was always "we can't do anything without kernel source." Once the 9100 update dropped, Samsung would be legally required by GPL to release the kernel's source code and people could get around porting it to the i777.

So then time passed, where everything from the Atrix to discontinued HP tablets started getting ICS but the i777, and the people who bought it thinking they were getting a flagship phone with wide support, had to sit there and watch. People started getting incredibly anxious, and eventually people who don't have any coding skill and/or don't contribute anything started lashing out at the people who do. Accusations like "we need some REAL devs... not just 'Themers' and Devs wannabe" and "This is ridiculous!" caused someone to make a ROM called Baby Pacifier to shut up the critics, and I think that has been developed and is what the CM9 port etc has been built on.

We're still waiting for the 9100 source. Don't expect an official 777 kernel anytime soon since AT&T basically owns the phone (supposed to have been called Attain but handed GS2 branding at the last minute) and hires Samsung to produce it.

I imagine it will be the only "Galaxy S II" to not get ICS, since AT&T seem to have the coldest of cold hearts when it comes to refusing to update perfectly adequate hardware and release new models instead. It's been a lesson in carrier subsidized/controlled variant models that I'm keeping in mind as I look at AT&T's HTC One X and it's necessitated-by-LTE Snapdragon CPU where the rest of the world gets a Tegra 3.

Craptacular! fucked around with this message at 08:24 on Mar 9, 2012

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Craptacular! posted:

Since I got the phone in late November, ICS came out for the 9100 but voice calls and the softkey buttons didn't work. The word on XDA was always "we can't do anything without kernel source."
Aha, the leaked kernel problem.

Yes, there's an irony here. Late-release GB devices on the "front lines" for ICS updates are amusingly behind older devices in CM9 support. The reason is that older kernels (and blobs, and other parts) can be used as the basis for CM9, but some effort is required to make do with legacy interfaces. Where devices are known to not be getting official ICS , developers aren't holding back and porting support themselves. But for devices that are getting official updates, particularly ones with leaked builds, developers are holding back to see what comes and to avoid a porting effort that would eventually be abandoned.

datajosh
May 3, 2002

I had the realization these aren't my problem!
I know this is almost off topic but god I hate XDA. People there are doing a great job of making the few real developers for the Epic Touch want to stop. I wish there was a development community that more like here - pay :10bux: to get in, get banned when you do something stupid and get permabanned when you don't learn.

zzyzx
Mar 2, 2004

I've got a Captivate running stock 2.2 that I'd like to root and install CM7 on, but most of the root guides I've found are years old and the link I found to a SuperOneClick app was dead. What'd be the easiest way to root it?

Edit: nm, found it. This space reserved for when I blow up my phone.

Edit2: Wow, this is much snappier. Should've done this a while ago.

zzyzx fucked around with this message at 18:00 on Mar 10, 2012

Web Jew.0
May 13, 2009
AOKP just released their fourth stable build (Mikestone 4). They "paid special attention to this release, really trying to make it bug free." which I'm didn't realize wasn't a priority with Milestone 3.

You can toggle navbar on and off in Power Controls now - back/home/menu are also in the power controls. The change is pretty instant and ive used it a few times for reading apps. The ROMs got lots of other handy features if you haven't tried it out yet: search button, notification toggles, smart dialer, faster autorotate, weather widget in notification shade, and lots of lockscreen customization options.

ProjektorBoy
Jun 18, 2002

I FUCK LINEN IN MY SPARE TIME!
Grimey Drawer

datajosh posted:

I wish there was a development community that more like here - pay :10bux: to get in, get banned when you do something stupid and get permabanned when you don't learn.

You could really attract rockstar devs if something like half of that :10bux: went into a pool that was distributed amongst people who create and maintain ROMs. With a promise of something like once-a-month updates and bugfixes in order for the dev to be eligible for the money.

Vin BioEthanol
Jan 18, 2002

by Ralp
Not interested in e-reader functions at all, is the nook color still the king of really cheap tablets ($135 refurbed) with the biggest ongoing development? How are things headed for the nook tablet? Not near as far along from what I can tell reading a bit on xda. My daughter and wife both have NCs and I have cm7 and cm9 cards for them that we use sometimes everything works pretty good, just slow from sd.

My brother just texted me that he happily dished out $120 for a Sylvania 7" Windows CE Netbook and he's now **considering** taking it back cause it wasn't quite what he expected. I almost cried.

I'm asking in the rooted thread because at that price-point it's going to surely have to be something in need of some rooting and flashing to get current. I also really want to see what cm7 or cm9 is like running from internal nand on a NC if I can talk him into that. The ones we have are a bit slow running off a class 4 sandisk.

Vin BioEthanol fucked around with this message at 18:14 on Mar 10, 2012

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Zero VGS posted:

Yeah there's a guy that started doing nighties on fattire's stuff. I got a nightly, overclocked it to 1200 mhz, and it's had about two weeks of uptime on wifi so far.

Do you have a link to this? I'm in residency, not a tech guru, and do not have the time or energy to learn the ins and outs of Linux and compiling my own build, and this is a completely loving alien concept to XDA people who call me a Luddite and tell me to figure it out on my own because they don't give handouts.

I just want to use this thing to put all my textbooks on and interface with our hospital computer system (which works on honeycomb or froyo) so I can more efficiently do my drat work. Bonus if the battery lasts as long or longer, and the whole thing is zippy since all my books are pdfs and ezpdf, while nice, is horrible when it's slow.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy
For price point, NC is easily the best bet. It's obviously heavily subsidized for the hardware that's in it because they're expecting to sell books. I have an NC with the fattire nightly CM9 and it runs extremely well. You can full-time a 1200mhz overclock on it with no issues. Just keep in mind that bluetooth is a little wonky since it was never supposed to be used in the first place. It's integrated into the WiFi chip but apparently doesn't have a proper antenna. So using it with any mouse gives a half-second delay on movements, and you'd have to experiment with pairing a headset if you ever wanted to use VoiP. But for surfing the web and watching Youtubes, it's a great piece of equipment with great build quality and battery life.

If you want to spend a little more, the HP Touchpads were actually made with the intent of being tablets and have much better hardware and extras. Everyone here says the CM9 builds are great. I see one on Ebay for $180 and I'd say thee extra fifty would go a long way.

Experto Crede
Aug 19, 2008

Keep on Truckin'

Wagonburner posted:

Not interested in e-reader functions at all, is the nook color still the king of really cheap tablets ($135 refurbed) with the biggest ongoing development? How are things headed for the nook tablet? Not near as far along from what I can tell reading a bit on xda. My daughter and wife both have NCs and I have cm7 and cm9 cards for them that we use sometimes everything works pretty good, just slow from sd.

My brother just texted me that he happily dished out $120 for a Sylvania 7" Windows CE Netbook and he's now **considering** taking it back cause it wasn't quite what he expected. I almost cried.

I'm asking in the rooted thread because at that price-point it's going to surely have to be something in need of some rooting and flashing to get current. I also really want to see what cm7 or cm9 is like running from internal nand on a NC if I can talk him into that. The ones we have are a bit slow running off a class 4 sandisk.

I'm presuming you're in the US, so I don't know how easily available they are there, but I cannot recommend the Advent Vega enough.

Stock, it has a crappy 2.2 build, but an incredible dev community. Basically had the first unofficial honeycomb port with graphics acceleration and such. And now it has an ICS ROM, totally AOSP, in development since December, with every feature working, only a few bugs that need squashing.

Specs wise, it has a 10 inch capacitive screen, Tegra 2 at 1.2GHz, 512mb RAM, front camera, USB port with host support, HDMI, Bluetooth.

Mine cost me about £120, so getting one for about $150-$200 wouldn't be out of the question.

Drunken Lullabies
Aug 1, 2006

by Debbie Metallica
I'm getting the message

"Enabling RSD protocol Support
Battery is too low to flash"

On my droid X2, is it bricked? I can't seem to boot it into recovery or anything.

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

Drunken Lullabies posted:

I'm getting the message

"Enabling RSD protocol Support
Battery is too low to flash"

On my droid X2, is it bricked? I can't seem to boot it into recovery or anything.

Your battery is too low. Can you charge it somehow?

edit: wait, are you trying to flash something using RSD Lite, or is it just giving you this message on a normal boot?

Drunken Lullabies
Aug 1, 2006

by Debbie Metallica
It gives me that on a normal boot.

Kynetx
Jan 8, 2003

Full of ignorant tribalism. Kinda sad.

Wagonburner posted:

Where do you live where you can buy a Win CE device and actually take it back?

Vin BioEthanol
Jan 18, 2002

by Ralp

Experto Crede posted:

I cannot recommend the Advent Vega enough.

Mine cost me about £120, so getting one for about $150-$200 wouldn't be out of the question.

This sounds real good from the specs, lots better than a NC, just doesn't seem to have the community that the nc does or maybe I just only ever look here and xda.

Kynetx posted:

Where do you live where you can buy a Win CE device and actually take it back?

It was from Sears. Im looking online now and it was the previous model sylvania netbook to his I was looking at specs of earlier today. It was ce. This one is "embedded compact 7" which I'm finding out is just the new name for ce.

Vin BioEthanol fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Mar 10, 2012

Experto Crede
Aug 19, 2008

Keep on Truckin'

Wagonburner posted:

This sounds real good from the specs, lots better than a NC, just doesn't seem to have the community that the nc does or maybe I just only ever look here and xda.

It was from Sears. Im looking online now and it was the previous model sylvania netbook to his I was looking at specs of earlier today. It was ce. This one is "embedded compact 7" which I'm finding out is just the new name for ce.

It's a bit dead on xda, yeah, but on tabletroms and modaco, it's thriving!

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy
I've already rooted and put ICS on two Vibrants for friends. Another friend asked me and I'm like sure no problem. Several hours and soft-bricks later I'm going out of my mind, and stumble on a post that informs me that I'm in fact working on a "T-959V" (Galaxy S 4G) not a "T-959" (Vibrant). They are both Tmobile phones and virtually identical except for apparently the backplate. Thanks a lot Samsung. What the hell is even the difference between these, faster 4G support on one? Does the GS 4G even have a snappy codename?

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Zero VGS posted:

I've already rooted and put ICS on two Vibrants for friends. Another friend asked me and I'm like sure no problem. Several hours and soft-bricks later I'm going out of my mind, and stumble on a post that informs me that I'm in fact working on a "T-959V" (Galaxy S 4G) not a "T-959" (Vibrant). They are both Tmobile phones and virtually identical except for apparently the backplate. Thanks a lot Samsung. What the hell is even the difference between these, faster 4G support on one? Does the GS 4G even have a snappy codename?

The 4G has HSPA+ (obviously) and working GPS. It might also have a camera flash, I can't remember.

WeaselWeaz
Apr 11, 2004

Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Biscuits and Gravy.

Zero VGS posted:

Different resolutions and memory. A lot of Samsung phones look alike, so always look at the model number before you start flashing a phone.

ProjektorBoy
Jun 18, 2002

I FUCK LINEN IN MY SPARE TIME!
Grimey Drawer

Drunken Lullabies posted:

It gives me that on a normal boot.

That screen means it's booting to the bootloader because something got corrupted. Your only hope is to grab RSD Lite (5.6 is the newest version) and the newest SBF file for your X. It will wipe everything not stored on the MicroSD card, but it will get you going again.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Zero VGS posted:

Great, now link me to your NC CM9 nightly build!

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy
http://lmgtfy.com/?q=NC+CM9+nightly+build

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Yeah, but are you using the Eyeballer builds or the Samiam ones, that was my question... Any thoughts on which is better?

Mark Larson
Dec 27, 2003

Interesting...

XDA is here :negative:

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Zero VGS posted:

What the hell is even the difference between these, faster 4G support on one?
The Vibrant is HSPA only, which at one time was considered "just 3G" in T-Mobile's marketing tactics (not sure exactly what they think of it now), whereas the Galaxy S 4G is HSPA+, which T-Mobile was definitely pimping as 4G.

I've never seen a Galaxy S 4G, so I can't say what the exact differences are. However, I believe that, like the Epic, it uses a newer revision of Hummingbird/S5PV210 SoC that's not supported by the Linux MTD OneNAND driver that's used by the Nexus S and has since been adopted for all the other SGSI devices in CM7/CM9. That's not fatal to CM7/CM9 support, but it makes it a lot more difficult to implement. For example, it's one of the main reasons why the Epic didn't get official CM support until quite some time after the other SGS devices.

Again, it's easy to go "lol Samsung" here but there's actually a sound reason for the change. Once T-Mobile adopted the policy that "4G-speeds is 4G", they needed more "4G" phones to sell to compete with the other providers. Unfortunately both the Vibrant and the Nexus S (admittedly, which T-Mobile never sold) don't support "4G" so they needed new hardware. Turns out Samsung could deliver a slight revision on the Vibrant by using a revised SoC with HSPA+ support (and a newer/faster/cheaper but not backwards-compatible flash chip), so they did.

The real question is, what idiot would buy an SGS 4G at a time when the Vibrant update fiasco was in full-swing and the Nexus S had been on the market for two months? Purchasing a Vibrant at release is excusable, the Samsung problem wasn't as well known and the NS hadn't been announced yet. But the SGS 4G was only purchased by ignorant suckers (sorry for your friend), which is the other reason why it has poor CM7/CM9 support--no developer has one.

ExcessBLarg! fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Mar 11, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Civil
Apr 21, 2003

Do you see this? This means "Have a nice day".
Did later rounds of the Vibrant fix the lag/GPS issues? I would have steered people to the 4G just because of that. I owned a Vibrant for a while, and followed the dev community for a while after selling it, and it seemed that at least the GPS never was fixed.