Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Codiusprime
Mar 17, 2006

overseerbrian posted:

Check his post history. He's pretty obviously just trolling from YOSPOS.

But usually he can at least claim to be trying to give people good advice (buy an iPad lol) but at this point he is just flat out lying to people who are looking for honest advice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003
Everyone in here is giving that guy bad advice. The only advice he should be getting is "you cannot afford to pay attention, much less buy a tablet at any price. Save your money until you actually have expendable income"

My Linux Rig
Mar 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!

Codiusprime posted:

But usually he can at least claim to be trying to give people good advice (buy an iPad lol) but at this point he is just flat out lying to people who are looking for honest advice.
What, exactly, am I lying about?

golgo13sf posted:

Everyone in here is giving that guy bad advice. The only advice he should be getting is "you cannot afford to pay attention, much less buy a tablet at any price. Save your money until you actually have expendable income"
I thought I said that, or at least something along those lines.

My Linux Rig fucked around with this message at 18:35 on Mar 11, 2012

Codiusprime
Mar 17, 2006

golgo13sf posted:

Maybe just give him some advice on a decent tablet to buy instead if making assumptions about then telling him how to spend his money. I'm sure there is an ask/tell thread around where you can give people money advice when they actually ask for it.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Ok here's sound advice for him then on those lines: "Save a few bucks more and buy a refurbished iPad 2"

E2M2
Mar 2, 2007

Ain't No Thang.
For $300 you could probably get a 2nd hand Acer A500, iPad 2, or Asus Transformer T101.

Dodoman
Feb 26, 2009

A moment of laxity
A lifetime of regret
Lipstick Apathy
Really, don't get a non-ICS tablet.

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x38: FLOPPY_INTERNAL_ERROR

Woot has the Galaxy Tab 10.1 for $350 today.

Also regarding cheap tablets: The amount of time and energy I had to spend to make my Nook Color bearable was just dumb. I just got fed up with relying on 15 year old kids for the software. Plus the performance still left a lot to be desired.

I was glad to finally get rid of it. (Though my Gtab 8.9 isn't near perfect, it is much better than the Nook.)

Toady
Jan 12, 2009

Craptacular! posted:

If this is the case, then why don't people just buy laptops?

Tablets are supposed to represent a move away from complexity-oriented computing. Using an iPad and using a laptop are two entirely different experiences, and not just because of the touch input.

E2M2
Mar 2, 2007

Ain't No Thang.

Kazy posted:

Woot has the Galaxy Tab 10.1 for $350 today.

Also regarding cheap tablets: The amount of time and energy I had to spend to make my Nook Color bearable was just dumb. I just got fed up with relying on 15 year old kids for the software. Plus the performance still left a lot to be desired.

I was glad to finally get rid of it. (Though my Gtab 8.9 isn't near perfect, it is much better than the Nook.)

$335 :science:

TOO SCSI FOR MY CAT
Oct 12, 2008

this is what happens when you take UI design away from engineers and give it to a bunch of hipster art student "designers"

E2M2 posted:

For $300 you could probably get a 2nd hand Acer A500, iPad 2, or Asus Transformer T101.

Sam Vimes Theory of Economic Injustice posted:

Samuel Vimes earned thirty-eight dollars a month as a Captain of the Watch, plus allowances. A really good pair of leather boots, the sort that would last years and years, cost fifty dollars. This was beyond his pocket and the most he could hope for was an affordable pair of boots costing ten dollars, which might with luck last a year or so before he would need to resort to makeshift cardboard insoles so as to prolong the moment of shelling out another ten dollars.

Therefore over a period of ten years, he might have paid out a hundred dollars on boots, twice as much as the man who could afford fifty dollars up front ten years before. And he would still have wet feet.

teacup
Dec 20, 2006

= M I L K E R S =
I have a Galaxy Tab 7.0 + (3g/wifi, unlocked) and I'm from Australia. I'll be in Britain for a bit next week and I'm thinking it'll be easier to use it from britain to talk to people back home than my unlocked phone. Thing is I've never used it for communication and I'm not clued in on the apps. Rather than take a shot in the dark and get some poo poo app, what's the current goto if I throw a UK 3g sim for prepaid data into it just in case I can't get wifi? my partner is on an Iphone 4 or a laptop with Skype. I assume Skype is the way to go but you never know!

for what it's worth I'm more concerned with basically being able to call, not that fussed with video, and emailing/facebooking is easy.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

Janin posted:

Terry Pratchett

Yes but a tablet is not a pair of boots and is not going to last you ten years under any circumstances no matter how much you spend

The other options, especially the iPad 2, are still perfectly viable if not nearly as cool as the new iPad

Codiusprime
Mar 17, 2006

dissss posted:

Yes but a tablet is not a pair of boots and is not going to last you ten years under any circumstances no matter how much you spend

The other options, especially the iPad 2, are still perfectly viable if not nearly as cool as the new iPad

Yea, I'm really not seeing how this is so hard. I am currently looking to get my parents a tablet. They have literally no need for a super high Res screen or four cores of any variety. Them spending five hundred+ dollars on a tablet would be a waste of money. They have the money, but they don't want to spend that much.

They will probably end up with an iPad 2 by the way. That or a Transformer with dock. I'm going to take them to BB and let them play with both.

My Linux Rig
Mar 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!

dissss posted:

No, a tablet could last more than 10 years. It's not the tablet that's going to wear out, it's you.

Your interest in a tablet will wane a lot faster with an out of date or cheap tablet then it will with a up to date one that actually delivers on what it promises to do.

Again, if $500 is too much for a tablet, then maybe you should just think for a minute about why you really want a tablet.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

My Linux Rig posted:

Again, if $500 is too much for a tablet, then maybe you should just think for a minute about why you really want a tablet.

Indeed, most people have no use for a tablet that costs more than what they probably paid for their Target sale HDTV or Best Buy laptop special.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

My Linux Rig posted:

No, a tablet could last more than 10 years. It's not the tablet that's going to wear out, it's you.

There is no way any current tablet is going to be of any use that far down the line. Ten years is a long time for tech - go and check how usable a G4 Powerbook is today.

You can expect an iPad 3 to last a year longer than an iPad 2 not any more than that.

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007
I sold my wifi 3 G iPad 1 16GB for $250. That's the going rate here. For the app store, customer service and stability id recommend that. Obviously if you only want android then don't listen.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

dissss posted:

There is no way any current tablet is going to be of any use that far down the line. Ten years is a long time for tech - go and check how usable a G4 Powerbook is today.

You can expect an iPad 3 to last a year longer than an iPad 2 not any more than that.

That may just be restricted to tablets and other non-upgradable items though. I usually get 5-6 years out of gaming computers by buying top of the line tech when there's an evolutionary breakthrough then upgrading the video card mid cycle and skipping at least a full upgrade path if not two over someone who buys mid range every 2-3 years.

My Linux Rig
Mar 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!

dissss posted:

Right, thanks for agreeing with my point.

A cheap tablet may still technically function and continue to function for years, but well, you probably won't be too happy with how it functions when you get it, not to mention a year or two done the line.

This is why I'm saying spend a bit more to get a better tablet: in the end you'll probably keep it longer and get better use out of it.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

My Linux Rig posted:

Right, thanks for agreeing with my point.

A cheap tablet may still technically function and continue to function for years, but well, you probably won't be too happy with how it functions when you get it, not to mention a year or two done the line.

This is why I'm saying spend a bit more to get a better tablet: in the end you'll probably keep it longer and get better use out of it.

Agreed, everyone should pay more for their tablets than they probably did for their actual computers or monitors.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

My Linux Rig posted:

This issue is you are including low end Android 4 tablets and the iPad 2 in the 'you probably won't be too happy with how it functions when you get it, not to mention a year or two done the line' category.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

dissss posted:

The vendor will intentionally make a tablet obsolete by ceasing to produce updates, long before 10 years are up.

Apple devices will probably last longer in this regard than Android, but you are not getting 5 years, let alone 10.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Install Gentoo posted:

Agreed, everyone should pay more for their tablets than they probably did for their actual computers or monitors.

If you pay less than $500 for a computer, you're going to get an absolute piece of poo poo that was already outdated when it hit the shelves, and I don't see why it should be any different for a tablet.

My Linux Rig
Mar 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!

dissss posted:

This issue is you are including low end Android 4 tablets and the iPad 2 in the 'you probably won't be too happy with how it functions when you get it, not to mention a year or two done the line' category.
Yeah, I am. Do you really think someone is going to be very satisfied with their iPad 2 now compared to the iPad 3 when they only save $100?

They should just spend the extra money to get the high res display and everything else. The low amount of savings isn't worth it to buy an iPad 2 now. However, if someone already has an iPad 2, they should probably hold on to it for a while.

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

I'm not understanding why most of this matters for a device a person is buying almost exclusively for web browsing and reading. Those are things that generally work just fine out of the box these days, unlike the days of the Coby Kyros and other assorted crap. They're not the best, but they'll do those basic tasks just fine.

This is like reading one of those computer forums where people insist you need an i7 and 32 gigs of RAM to run Office and play WoW. Right down to the ridiculous future-proofing claims.

My Linux Rig posted:

Yeah, I am. Do you really think someone is going to be very satisfied with their iPad 2 now compared to the iPad 3 when they only save $100?

Most people were not only perfectly happy with the iPad 2 a month ago, they were ecstatic about it. If someone doesn't want to spend the extra $100 (whether or not they can afford it... just because someone can afford something doesn't mean they automatically have to buy it), what's the problem? It's a perfectly fine tablet that does web browsing, book reading and casual gaming (you know, the things that started this whole discussion) just fine.

sethsez fucked around with this message at 01:10 on Mar 12, 2012

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007

sethsez posted:

I'm not understanding why most of this matters for a device a person is buying almost exclusively for web browsing and reading. Those are things that generally work just fine out of the box these days, unlike the days of the Coby Kyros and other assorted crap. They're not the best, but they'll do those basic tasks just fine.

This is like reading one of those computer forums where people insist you need an i7 and 32 gigs of RAM to run Office and play WoW. Right down to the ridiculous future-proofing claims.
You're forgetting newer OS updates that creep in and slowly make older devices run a bit slower. You and I might be smart enough to research and avoid updating, but most people aren't like us.

dundun
Oct 29, 2005
H E R B

Main Paineframe posted:

If you pay less than $500 for a computer, you're going to get an absolute piece of poo poo that was already outdated when it hit the shelves, and I don't see why it should be any different for a tablet.

I picked up an almost new non-refurbished HP DV7 (LED 17 inch display) with 6 gigs of ram, quad core cpu, dre beats audio and ATI graphics for 425 on ebay. I don't see it being outdated anytime soon.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

My Linux Rig posted:

Yes, many people will be.

To be honest you sound like one of those ridiculous camera gear whores like you get on certain other boards - oh noes my 5DII is useless now the 5DIII is out.

Dr. Video Games 0050 posted:

You're forgetting newer OS updates that creep in and slowly make older devices run a bit slower. You and I might be smart enough to research and avoid updating, but most people aren't like us.

That's an Apple thing anyway - I don't think I've run into a single update that has made performance slower over on Android*

* Yes I'm aware some manufacturers botched the updates of their skinned devices, that's another issue entirely.

dissss fucked around with this message at 01:15 on Mar 12, 2012

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

Dr. Video Games 0050 posted:

Let's be honest, most Android devices aren't in any danger of getting updates in the far future that'll slow the tablets down to unreasonable levels. They're lucky to get two updates before being abandoned. The idea that a lower-end Android device is going to be getting consistent updates enough for that to be an issue is basically a fairy tale at this point.

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax

sethsez posted:

This is those forums. The new twist is how it's all packaged with a creepy paternalistic streak so that not only are they telling you that you can't afford a real computer, but that you should spend your money on better things if you can't afford a real computer.

Frankly, if a dude has $600 to spend on a tablet and they haven't given $600 to charity that year, I think they're better off donating.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Main Paineframe posted:

So according to you, the computers most people buy are already outdated? Look how stupid that is.

http://blog.laptopmag.com/average-windows-laptop-costs-456-down-14-percent-in-24-months

Desktop systems are even cheaper.

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

dissss posted:

Yes, many people will be.

To be honest you sound like one of those ridiculous camera gear whores like you get on certain other boards - oh noes my 5DII is useless now the 5DIII is out.

This is pretty much it, yes. People with more money than sense who think that if you can't afford to (or don't want to) buy the absolute best thing available then you should just go back to your cardboard box in the alley. Nevermind that the next step down was, in fact, the latest and greatest only a little while ago and was serving people just fine. And nevermind that a good chunk of the cost of the latest and greatest might be for features that the person buying won't actually use.

It's like the idea of compromise and budgeting just don't matter in the face of new consumer products!

The new iPad is great. The best tablet currently available. The iPad 2 is also great, if not as great, and still does 95% of what the new one does. The Kindle Fire and Nook Tablet are good, not great, but for the price "good but not great" is a reasonable proposition for a lot of people.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Install Gentoo posted:

So according to you, the computers most people buy are already outdated? Look how stupid that is.

http://blog.laptopmag.com/average-windows-laptop-costs-456-down-14-percent-in-24-months

Desktop systems are even cheaper.

I don't see anything wrong with saying that loads and loads of people buy the absolute cheapest laptop on the market, no matter how lovely they might be. Computers are an absolute necessity in first-world countries, and that means that the tens of millions of poor people in the US need a computer, even if it's the cheapest shitbox available.

Tablets, on the other hand, aren't really so important that you need to buy one no matter what even if you can only afford the cheapest Coby Kyro paperweights.

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax

Main Paineframe posted:

I don't see anything wrong with saying that loads and loads of people buy the absolute cheapest laptop on the market, no matter how lovely they might be. Computers are an absolute necessity in first-world countries, and that means that the tens of millions of poor people in the US need a computer, even if it's the cheapest shitbox available.

Tablets, on the other hand, aren't really so important that you need to buy one no matter what even if you can only afford the cheapest Coby Kyro paperweights.

So, what kind of electronics do you own?

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Main Paineframe posted:

So you're not getting it that if people don't want to pay a full $500 for a laptop, they also probably don't won't to pay a full $500 for a tablet that is less useful.

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

Main Paineframe posted:

The point is that there are viable options between the Coby Kyros and the new iPad, but some people are intent on pretending it's got to be one or the other.

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

Damn, this is good coffee.

sethsez posted:

This is pretty much it, yes. People with more money than sense who think that if you can't afford to (or don't want to) buy the absolute best thing available then you should just go back to your cardboard box in the alley. Nevermind that the next step down was, in fact, the latest and greatest only a little while ago and was serving people just fine. And nevermind that a good chunk of the cost of the latest and greatest might be for features that the person buying won't actually use.

It's like the idea of compromise and budgeting just don't matter in the face of new consumer products!

The new iPad is great. The best tablet currently available. The iPad 2 is also great, if not as great, and still does 95% of what the new one does. The Kindle Fire and Nook Tablet are good, not great, but for the price "good but not great" is a reasonable proposition for a lot of people.

There is, however, a difference in how these prices scale. As far as I can tell, the difference between a 5D Mark II and III (now, not at the time of their release) is about $1300 on Amazon. I can see that making a difference. Telling someone to buy an iPad 2 ($399 new, $349 refurb that most people aren't aware of ) is pretty dumb when the difference is a measly $100. If $100 is a major deciding factor in your decision, what are you doing buying a tablet in the first place?

Toady
Jan 12, 2009

dissss posted:

I have to agree with including those devices in that category. To use the new iPad as an example, the jump in screen resolution is a drastic increase in readability that is worth the extra $100. Six months from now, you'd be staring longingly and wishing you'd gotten on board.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

illcendiary posted:

There is, however, a difference in how these prices scale. As far as I can tell, the difference between a 5D Mark II and III (now, not at the time of their release) is about $1300 on Amazon. I can see that making a difference. Telling someone to buy an iPad 2 ($399 new, $349 refurb that most people aren't aware of ) is pretty dumb when the difference is a measly $100. If $100 is a major deciding factor in your decision, what are you doing buying a tablet in the first place?

Do you really not understand how stupid this sounds? Like really?

poo poo why not say you're stupid if you don't get a maxed out 3G one?