Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

Blendy posted:

Yeah I'm thinking of just preordering the UK release putting down 2 copies (can you put down for 2?) and splitting the cost of shipping with a friend.

Also what kind of hiccup delays a preorder launch?

Sorry, I wasn't clear. They didn't say that. I said it. They should say it though.

They're just staying completely silent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blendy
Jun 18, 2007

She thinks I'm a haughty!

Well you saying it or them saying it clearly there was a hiccup and I'm really curious as to what can delay a preorder.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

Blendy posted:

Well you saying it or them saying it clearly there was a hiccup and I'm really curious as to what can delay a preorder.

Yeah, I have no idea.

Just let people know what's going on. It takes like, 5 seconds.

Blendy
Jun 18, 2007

Yeah it's stupid and rude. If I didn't want to avoid the Mondo release I'd just say screw it and forget about Invada but I'm sure the Mondo release is going to be way more annoying than this.

Mr. Stepmom
Feb 20, 2004

But all I get is bitter and a nasty little rash
Could be a case of not being sure how many pieces they will be allotted for their direct sales. Labels sometimes barely handle the records they release, and only get 100 copies or so - the rest have already been pre-sold via their distributor/etc.

Blendy
Jun 18, 2007

I mean I assume that's the case, but really that shouldn't be a last minute deal that would delay a preoder.

Mr. Stepmom
Feb 20, 2004

But all I get is bitter and a nasty little rash
You'd think, but the record industry is hilariously disorganized with some absolutely dreadful communication and a lot of links in the chain that can break and cause delays, etc. Especially in this case, where there's multiple labels, printers, etc involved.

I work at a pretty established label, and even we have tremendous trouble getting our poo poo in on time, or even getting enough stock to fufill our teeny webstore business. And as edition sizes continue to shrink, it's something that one must really take care with. I mean, my experience leads me to guess that they will likely press less than 2-3k copies of the Themes From An Imaginary Film record total across all labels, which is probably pretty close to the number of people who will actually buy it.

On the other hand, if it becomes a runaway success, the metal parts are always there to stamp out a few more if it's worth it. The sad truth is that 6 months after a record comes out, it's almost impossible to move copies at full retail, either from the label or secondary market -- that's why everything is 'limited' now. It's either 'sell now or sell never'.

Uh, excuse the derail?

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:
Don't excuse interesting posts.

Latest Invada facebook news:

Invada UK posted:

please be patient.. we wish to make these as perfect as we can.. no one will miss out..

No! More vague! More! :argh:

Blendy
Jun 18, 2007

Dissapointed Owl posted:

Don't excuse interesting posts.

Latest Invada facebook news:

No! More vague! More! :argh:

But HEY no one will miss out...unless you don't follow them on Facebook or Twitter...

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

Blendy posted:

But HEY no one will miss out...unless you don't follow them on Facebook or Twitter...

I'm hoping someone here will keep me updated because I don't use either of those sites.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

CPL593H posted:

I'm hoping someone here will keep me updated because I don't use either of those sites.

That's okay, I'll keep you updated on all the developing twits and faces.

Blendy
Jun 18, 2007

I like how you went with twits instead of tweets and how appropriate it is for the situation with Invada.

On other topics I got this awhile ago and it's soooooo good.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:
^^^ Wait, I think I read an article about that. Wasn't it two girls who love metal and Japanese culture or something? I might be thinking of a completely different thing...

CPL593H posted:

They just posted this:

Invada UK posted:

follow us on twitter for upto the min INVADA news. we will be announcing the DRIVE pre-sale here and on twitter our account is @invadauk

Which, again, tells us jack poo poo.

Ratbones
May 15, 2009
My wife and I have been collecting records for the past year in anticipation of finally having the money on hand to invest in a decent setup. Yesterday we snagged a used Technics SL-d202 at a local record store, along with a preamp and a couple records. I have a quick question though. The strobe light isn't illuminating, and I'm wondering how simple the replacement of the strobe bulb is. There's a 30 day guarantee, and I'm positive we could get our money back if necessary, or get them to repair it, but the shop is an hour's drive away and they're closed on Sundays. I'm pretty handy with electronics, but I don't want to bust up our new toy.

Blendy
Jun 18, 2007

Yeah you're pretty much spot on. The full name of the group is Yamantaka // Sonic Titan. Yamantaka is a Buddhist deity and the singer Ruby Kato is of Japanese ancestry. She might be full Japanese, I'm not sure, but they're based in Canada. The group is also kind of a collective but the driving force on the record are the two girls. The music is insanely good and weird. They chant sutras as lyrics and you just have to hear it..

I don't know if this is the article you read, and generally I avoid pfork but this is a good introduction and features some of the greatest songs off the record. Queens, which is at the top, is my favorite track.

http://pitchfork.com/features/rising/8752-yamantaka-sonic-titan/

Also their live shows sound AMAZING with such details as ONE OF THE GIRLS DRESSING AS A GIANT DRAGON AND DESTROYING THE SET WHY THE OTHER KILLS HER WITH A GUITAR. I mean just look at those girls, that show has to be crazy.

Anyway I'll stop gushing now but totally go check it out and if you can still find a copy the first like 500 pressing were on white vinyl and it's so beautiful.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

Blendy posted:

Yeah you're pretty much spot on. The full name of the group is Yamantaka // Sonic Titan. Yamantaka is a Buddhist deity and the singer Ruby Kato is of Japanese ancestry. She might be full Japanese, I'm not sure, but they're based in Canada. The group is also kind of a collective but the driving force on the record are the two girls. The music is insanely good and weird. They chant sutras as lyrics and you just have to hear it..

I don't know if this is the article you read, and generally I avoid pfork but this is a good introduction and features some of the greatest songs off the record. Queens, which is at the top, is my favorite track.

Also their live shows sound AMAZING with such details as ONE OF THE GIRLS DRESSING AS A GIANT DRAGON AND DESTROYING THE SET WHY THE OTHER KILLS HER WITH A GUITAR. I mean just look at those girls, that show has to be crazy.

Anyway I'll stop gushing now but totally go check it out and if you can still find a copy the first like 500 pressing were on white vinyl and it's so beautiful.

Listening to their bandcamp page right now. It's really drat good. If I didn't have a vast back catalogue of records I want I'd immediately search out a copy.

Won't miss them if they ever venture into Europe, though.

Also, 'Reverse Crystal // Murder of a Spider' is killer.

e: Off topic, but Bandcamp is one of the greatest things to have happened to music in making it more easily available and easier to support a band directly.

ee: 'Hoshi Neko' is really evocative.

Dissapointed Owl fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Mar 11, 2012

Starsnostars
Jan 17, 2009

The Master of Magnetism

Blendy posted:

Oh wow thank you for this, I'm really liking it. I'm too poor to afford the vinyl right now especially as I imagine the shipping from Canada to the UK isn't that cheap but I think I have to download this album.

Blendy
Jun 18, 2007

Glad to spread the message of YT//ST!

I just looked at psychic handshake's site and the first pressing is sold out and a second pressing will be coming soon so save up some ducketts. Looks like they also did a sale on it for $20 where you got their 12" and a 7" of your choice. Wish I had seen that. Would have bought it for a friend and kept the 7" for myself.

DisappointedOwl Hoshi Neko also has a music video which shows off some of their weird geometric art and other illustrations. You should check it out. http://vimeo.com/36662755

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

Starsnostars posted:

Oh wow thank you for this, I'm really liking it. I'm too poor to afford the vinyl right now especially as I imagine the shipping from Canada to the UK isn't that cheap but I think I have to download this album.

You can always try this: http://rhythmonline.co.uk/entry.php?albumid=190394

Blendy posted:

DisappointedOwl Hoshi Neko also has a music video which shows off some of their weird geometric art and other illustrations. You should check it out. http://vimeo.com/36662755

Thanks, I'll definitely check it out, but as a rule I avoid videos to songs that I haven't listened to enough yet. I hate just having the video play in my head whenever I hear a certain song.

theradiostillsucks
Feb 3, 2006

I am the undisputed king of an infinite amount of nothing, don't correct me when I'm wrong, I'm proud to wear the crown of fools

quote:

Third Man is a pretty terrible company. All they sell is a bunch of over priced hipster novelty bullshit. I'm really suprised that [Third Man Release] isn't getting a regular domestic release on vinyl due to the popularity of the film and how well liked the music was. When any of that poo poo sells out, it's not even to people who want whatever the item is. It's to dipshits on ebay who sell it for at least triple what they paid. Third Man can shove their [Third Man Release] record up their rear end. Honestly, with the way they market things it's probably going to be one of those records that looks really neat and sounds like total poo poo. As much as I hate paying for international shipping, I'll gladly buy the European pressing just so I can avoid participating in that other circlejerk.

I swapped Mondo for Third Man in this post, and it's kind of amazing how well it fit.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

theradiostillsucks posted:

I swapped Mondo for Third Man in this post, and it's kind of amazing how well it fit.

Also works with Warner Brothers' Flaming Lips releases.

i am a bee
Apr 17, 2006
bees, bees, bees, just lookin' for a good time
I got a couple of good car-boot sale finds for a total of £11.40. Still by Joy Division and the Blue Monday 12". Still looked in pretty good condition, but the 3rd and 4th sides are pretty skippy in places, but I was more interested in the studio stuff anyway. I also picked up a big box of records for £5 mainly because I wanted the box, but there was a couple of okay synth-pop 12" in there and a copy on Now That's What I Call Music 3 my partner wants to keep. I'm kind of sadled with a bunch of Cliff Richard, Country and Western and Herb Alpert now though :(

cosmicjim
Mar 23, 2010
VISIT THE STICKIED GOON HOLIDAY CHARITY DRIVE THREAD IN GBS.

Goons are changing the way children get an education in Haiti.

Edit - Oops, no they aren't. They donated to doobie instead.
Raising prices is always a terrible way to make up for lower than hoped for sales. I see it everyday in the cafeteria at the factory I work at. They raise prices and less people eat there, so they raise prices to make up for lost sales, and the cycle seems to keep repeating. It's cheaper for me to eat fast food than the work cafeteria, and I don't mean ordering from the dollar menu:(

I see new records the same way. I buy maybe 1 or 2 NEW records a year because I don't want to pay 20$ for a new record. If they were closer to 10$, I'd probably buy 25-50 a year. And the prices probably scare lots of people away from getting into it in the first place.
Does this sound accurate, or am I just whining about records being too high?

theradiostillsucks
Feb 3, 2006

I am the undisputed king of an infinite amount of nothing, don't correct me when I'm wrong, I'm proud to wear the crown of fools

cosmicjim posted:

Raising prices is always a terrible way to make up for lower than hoped for sales. I see it everyday in the cafeteria at the factory I work at. They raise prices and less people eat there, so they raise prices to make up for lost sales, and the cycle seems to keep repeating. It's cheaper for me to eat fast food than the work cafeteria, and I don't mean ordering from the dollar menu:(

I see new records the same way. I buy maybe 1 or 2 NEW records a year because I don't want to pay 20$ for a new record. If they were closer to 10$, I'd probably buy 25-50 a year. And the prices probably scare lots of people away from getting into it in the first place.
Does this sound accurate, or am I just whining about records being too high?

I agree completely. I have a hard time justifying $25 reissues when they're more than likely :effort: jobs meant to cash in on "the resurgence of vinyl," or whatever the recycled articles that newspapers and websites have warmed over and trotted out on an almost yearly basis for the past 5-10 years are calling it. I wouldn't even mind if labels went the SST route, where it's worth tracking down originals if you're a die-hard fan for inserts and such, but almost that entire catalog (or at least what's still generating sales/what people still care about; i.e., Black Flag and not Henry Kaiser) is in print and very cheap for whoever wants it and doesn't have to have an original pressing.

As much as I love Neil Young, the reissues of his catalog have been the poster children for how not to go about a reissue campaign. They reissued a few of his early records last year that were the exact same issue as the last reissue, only marked up wholesale in such a way that they're about $10 more expensive at retail than the last time around. Record Store Day has only further stressed this lovely trend with lovely releases that cost way too much money wholesale and retail and more often than not leave unassuming stores littered with dead stock that was overhyped before its release.

Stunt_enby
Feb 6, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
There is a single exception to the 20 dollar rule, and that is that Exmilitary costs that much and is worth more than 20 dollars to have on vinyl.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

theradiostillsucks posted:

I don't totally agree with this. Most of their limited edition stuff is readily available on black vinyl at normal retail price(and they do sell the limited pressings they are normal price). I do hate the cult built around price gouging the colored vinyl stuff on ebay, but I'm not a completist and I don't care about that stuff. I just want to listen to the music. And beyond that, I've only ever had a problem with one of their records in terms of sound quality and they were very apologetic about it. I also don't find their prices to be unreasonable. They charge 15-20 dollars for an LP and 6 bucks for a 7". That's the going rate for these things in most cases.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

Refused releasing limited albums for RSD is the icing on the corporate music fest cake

weirdojace
Sep 4, 2007
They Might Be Giants are getting their back catalog released on vinyl, finally. The first four to get pressed are Factory Showroom, John Henry, Flood, and Apollo 18.

The label, Asbestos Records, already has Factory Showroom up for pre-order, and it ships in April. This is also the first time John Henry and Factory Showrrom have seen vinyl releases. (Flood is already pretty easy to find if you look around, and Apollo 18 was released in a very limited quantity in Europe.)

I'm a big TMBG fan so I'm very pumped about these!

I Might Be Adam
Jun 12, 2007

Skip the Waves, Syncopate
Forwards Backwards

weirdojace posted:

They Might Be Giants are getting their back catalog released on vinyl, finally. The first four to get pressed are Factory Showroom, John Henry, Flood, and Apollo 18.

The label, Asbestos Records, already has Factory Showroom up for pre-order, and it ships in April. This is also the first time John Henry and Factory Showrrom have seen vinyl releases. (Flood is already pretty easy to find if you look around, and Apollo 18 was released in a very limited quantity in Europe.)

I'm a big TMBG fan so I'm very pumped about these!

Hah, I used to be a huge TMBG nerd but I guess I kinda "grew out of it". Plus, their later material has been pretty so so. I think I just might get a copy of John Henry and Apollo 18 though. Those were good records.

Ron Burgundy
Dec 24, 2005
This burrito is delicious, but it is filling.

Can anyone identify this album, or at least know what country it's from. There is no english, or even western glyphs on the front/back/label apart from what is seen here "Only Tonight", the stereo designation and the catalog number CS 6036.

http://members.iinet.net.au/~bbaddt5/Track6.mp3

A masked URL would just not take for some reason. Go BBcode :thumbsup:

Ron Burgundy fucked around with this message at 17:11 on Mar 12, 2012

milk teeth
Oct 13, 2009

i am a bee posted:

I got a couple of good car-boot sale finds for a total of £11.40. Still by Joy Division and the Blue Monday 12". Still looked in pretty good condition...

I've heard Englanders were pretty resistant to tech change back when. And there's been several waves of excellent music from there (british invasion, british folk, new wave, etc)
So is England a digger's* paradise? Small Faces / Nick Drake / Joy Division albums for all? or is it the same as over here - everybody hoarding they momma's Pink Floyd albums for the retirement fund?

* boring, white

also, throw the Herb Alpert, etc albums into the trash & never look back

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

Ron Burgundy posted:

Can anyone identify this album, or at least know what country it's from. There is no english, or even western glyphs on the front/back/label apart from what is seen here "Only Tonight", the stereo designation and the catalog number CS 6036.

What in the name of god... How do I know this song? Was this used in a movie or something? Not even, "I know a song that sounds like this" but really just I know this exact song.

:psyduck: wah?

Blendy
Jun 18, 2007

Ron Burgundy posted:

Pretty sure it's from China. Maybe Taiwan but I'm thinking it's mainland China. The text is all Chinese and the audio sounds pretty much like Chinese to me. I only know Japanese though so I'm not 100% sure.

i am a bee
Apr 17, 2006
bees, bees, bees, just lookin' for a good time

milk teeth posted:

I've heard Englanders were pretty resistant to tech change back when. And there's been several waves of excellent music from there (british invasion, british folk, new wave, etc)
So is England a digger's* paradise? Small Faces / Nick Drake / Joy Division albums for all? or is it the same as over here - everybody hoarding they momma's Pink Floyd albums for the retirement fund?

* boring, white

also, throw the Herb Alpert, etc albums into the trash & never look back

I'm in Scotland, but sadly, not really.

Just because there's been some great British music doesn't mean there's many British people with great music taste, and those that do seem to generally know what they have is worth something or worth keeping. The area I'm in seems to mean there's a LOT of corny Country and Western which can be wearying to dig through.

I gave the crap to a charity shop, but there was quite a sweet love letter from the mid-eighties hidden away in a Pet Shop Boys sleeve :3

i am a bee fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Mar 12, 2012

Wilbur Swain
Sep 13, 2007

These are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others.

Blendy posted:

Pretty sure it's from China. Maybe Taiwan but I'm thinking it's mainland China. The text is all Chinese and the audio sounds pretty much like Chinese to me. I only know Japanese though so I'm not 100% sure.

Why would it be from mainland China and not Taiwan? Mainland China was vehemently opposed to Western culture until recently, whereas Taiwan was the opposite. I would say it's way more likely to be Taiwanese, with a lesser possibility that it's from Hong Kong.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:
First three albums by The Shins for 35 bucks at PopMarket.

10% off with the discount code 'FACEBOOK10'.

Cpt. Spring Types
Feb 19, 2004

Wait, what?

Dissapointed Owl posted:

First three albums by The Shins for 35 bucks at PopMarket.

10% off with the discount code 'FACEBOOK10'.

Oh sweet, thanks for posting that. Been wanting to grab those for a while, and that's a pretty sweet deal.

I Might Be Adam
Jun 12, 2007

Skip the Waves, Syncopate
Forwards Backwards

Cool. Just picked up that Shins package. My wife is going to be happy.

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Picked up that Shins thing, awesome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flubber nuts
Oct 5, 2005

Pretty bummed I'm gonna miss out on that Shins deal, instead I wasted my money on this stuff. My brain, it dances.

Only registered members can see post attachments!