Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Looper
Mar 1, 2012
Sami is the best CO. :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

Alien Arcana posted:

Blue Moon Campaign in Review
Nice! Putting that in the OP :).

Also I guess Air Ace! is a nice introduction to air units, and also the first easily-cheeseable HQ capture. Even if it isn't Blue Moon ;)

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

Another for Sami

zonar
Jan 4, 2012

That was a BAD business decision!
Sami, although I do think that Max's take on this is more fun.

Is this another path split after here, or is it a map or two with a singular trouser leg?

Walliard
Dec 29, 2010

Oppan Windfall Style

Allan Assiduity posted:

Is this another path split after here, or is it a map or two with a singular trouser leg?

Single-timeline for six missions past this, but there's still a little snag that keeps things dynamic.

Max would be the optimal choice, so I'm going to vote Sami to make Paul suffer the LP interesting.

vv Okay, that's a much better explanation.

Walliard fucked around with this message at 00:53 on Mar 12, 2012

Alien Arcana
Feb 14, 2012

You're related to soup, Admiral.

Allan Assiduity posted:

It's sort of like a pair of trousers where one leg is sewn onto the end of the other one, and it disappears depending on how quickly you get dressed. :science:

Ilanin
May 31, 2009

Smarter than the average Blair.

Alien Arcana posted:

It's sort of like a pair of trousers where one leg is sewn onto the end of the other one, and it disappears depending on how quickly you get dressed. :science:

I find the quality of tailoring in this thread to be disturbingly substandard.

Rorac
Aug 19, 2011

Paul.Power posted:

This battle shall bring us victory!
... Hmm. Whatever.

This amused the hell out of me. Grit just could not give a gently caress.

Also, go for Sami. I think there is in fact special dialogue.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
Sami for everything from now on.

Accursed Walrus
Sep 4, 2011

Do The Mario
Andy, because why not.

SweaterGear
Jan 4, 2010

There's a Monopenguin! :swoon:

Accursed Walrus posted:

Andy, because why not.

You fool, you broke the chain of Sami votes! Now I need to restart the combo.

BrooklynBruiser
Aug 20, 2006

SweaterGear posted:

You fool, you broke the chain of Sami votes! Now I need to restart the combo.

It shall be continued! Sami.

Giovanni_Sinclair
Apr 25, 2009

It was on this day that his greatest enemy defeated, the true lord of darkness arose. His name? MARIO.
Voting for Sami

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

The Plan (or "Where we've been, where we're going and how we're going to get there") Caution: Massive Spoilers

Right then, if you don't want to be spoiled about certain things relating to the endgame, please look away now. Not going to spoiler tag this because it would be a whole post full of black bars, and where's the fun in that?

Where we've been

Okay, have they gone? Okay. Good. First let's talk about all the stuff we've just done. It can be summed up in this handy-dandy flowchart:

"Gosh! What is this mysterious Final Battle of which you speak?" Well, at the risk of stating the obvious, it's last mission of Campaign (most of the time). And it plays out as the player controlling three small allied armies against this one huge army controlled by the main villain of the piece... "Him" (or, well, Sturm. You might have already met him in the AW2 LP).

The three COs you get to use are determined by the paths you take through Campaign. You always have Andy in the centre, but on the left you get Max, Grit or Olaf, depending on your route. Pick Max at Max Strikes!, you get Grit (weirdly). Pick Andy at Max Strikes! and HQ Capture on Olaf's Navy!, you get Max (probably the best option). Rout Olaf's Navy! instead and go through Olaf's Sea Strike, and you get Olaf (probably the worst option).

So far so good. My original plan at this point was to ask you guys which of these you wanted to be our "canon" route, for our choice in The Final Battle. But you know what? I've now got three separate saves, one where Max would show up in The Final Battle, one where Grit would show up, and one where Olaf would show up. So let's have some fun.

Where we're going

Ladies and gentlemen, here is my proposal: four Final Battles.

Operation Golden Ending: Andy, Max and Eagle. Well, not literally the golden ending. But Max and Eagle are pretty much the best choices you can have for The Final Battle, and Eagle gives you the extra bonus mission after TFB, Rivals!

Operation Nap Patrol Redux: Andy, Grit and Drake. Ah yes, the Wars World Nap Patrol - sadly missing its most vital member due to him not being in this game, but two out of three ain't bad. And Andy apparently hates getting up in the mornings, so he can be an honorary member of the crew. Grit and Drake were also the pair of COs I first used when I beat The Final Battle. It was a rough ride, but I got through it.

Operation Dunderhead: Andy, Olaf and Kanbei. Featuring everyone's favourite trio of idiots. Olaf is kind of infamous in TFB because snow screws over allies just as badly as enemies. But he's a solid all-round CO that I reckon should be able to do something useful, and with a bit of luck I should be able to minimise inconvenience for my allies. Hopefully pairing him with Kanbei will help alleviate the damage. I've never used either of these COs in TFB before, so this'll certainly be an adventure.

Operation Orange Star: Andy, Max and Sami. Sami is another CO who's infamous in Final Battle terms, because of how slow footsoldiers are. Never played through TFB with her, but if I pair her with Max then hopefully that'll help us pull through.

The beauty of this setup? It's going to help us show off every mission with (hopefully) minimal repeats.

How we're going to get there

Well, we've already got three different saves with Max, Grit and Olaf ready to go. But how to go about getting the CO on the right sorted out? Well, here's the rules:

- You get Eagle in The Final Battle if you play as Sami in all four missions of the Green Earth section of Campaign (doesn't include Air Ace! or Sami's Debut!)
- You get Kanbei if you beat the Kanbei missions fast enough to unlock the Sonja missions and play through those, and you don't fulfil the requirements for Eagle.
- You get Drake in The Final Battle if you play as Andy in all four missions of the Green Earth section of Campaign (doesn't include Air Ace! or Sami's Debut!), and you don't fulfil the requirements for Kanbei.
- You get Sami if you fulfil none of the requirements for Eagle, Kanbei or Drake.

* Green Earth is a little like Blue Moon, only instead of being forced to go on one chain or the other, you get to choose your COs randomly. However, each CO gets a different map for each mission (except in one specific case, but even then), so it's worth showing them all off. When we get to Green Earth I'll let you vote on the order we take to do these twelve different missions.

So bearing all that in mind, how is this going to play out for our Final Battle teams? Well:

Operation Dunderhead: On the Olaf save, show Sami's Debut in the thread, get through the Kanbei missions fast and show them in the thread. Show off the Sonja missions, then show off all the Max missions in Green Earth.

Operation Nap Patrol Redux: On the Grit save, cheese through Sami's Debut and Yellow Comet offscreen, failing the speed requirement on at least one of the Kanbei missions. Then show off all the Andy missions in Green Earth.

Operation Golden Ending: On the Max save, cheese through Sami's Debut and Yellow Comet offscreen, failing the speed requirement on at least one of the Kanbei missions. Then show off all the Sami missions in Green Earth, but make a separate save before the last one.

Operation Orange Star: From this separate save, do the final Green Earth mission as either Andy or Max offscreen, thus breaking the Eagle chain.

This way I reckon I should be able to show off pretty much everything with minimal redundancy (granted I'll still have to play through... thirteen? redundant missions offscreen. But most of the time's taken up with writing the posts, so hey).

So... yeah. Hope that checks out okay. Should be all right, unless I get hopelessly stuck trying to get Olaf and/or Sami through The Final Battle...

... I might just go insane by the time I've done all this ;).

Paul.Power fucked around with this message at 02:07 on Mar 12, 2012

Walliard
Dec 29, 2010

Oppan Windfall Style
Nap Patrol Redux (but shouldn't it be Predux?)

Tricky, but not overly challenging.

Agent Interrobang
Mar 27, 2010

sugar & spice & psychoactive mushrooms

Walliard posted:

Oh my god, he JUST SAID he is doing all four versions. There is no vote!

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Walliard posted:

I don't think he's putting this to a vote, rather showing all the possibilities and routes ahead of showing off every freaking branch in this campaign.

Eeevil
Oct 28, 2010

Well obviously he didn't see it, or he'd be wearing a hardhat :colbert:

Walliard posted:

I don't think it's up for vote, is it? Sounds like he's doing all four.

edit: well, those three posts were redundant.

Alien Arcana
Feb 14, 2012

You're related to soup, Admiral.
Wow. That is... that is a very wonderful kind of crazy.

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

Yeah, the plan is to do all four, so this isn't a vote. I guess it might be subject to change if I end up going "you know what this is just absurd" at some point, but that's plans for you.

Walliard
Dec 29, 2010

Oppan Windfall Style
Gaah, whoops, I need to pay closer attention. I guess I assumed there'd be no point bringing it up now if it were a fixed plan?

Look, reading is hard and I'm just really anxious to find out what an airport is.

Walliard fucked around with this message at 02:32 on Mar 12, 2012

Turncoat Mommy
Oct 3, 2010

I believe in you.
Glad that you came up with a plan that is real enough to consider, if I recall you were discussing having to bring in multiple people to show everything off before you made this thread. Doing a good job with this LP, rooting for you and those brave APC drivers.

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Maybe you're weighing the moral pros and cons but let me assure you that OH MY GOD
SHOOT ME IN THE GODDAMNED FACE
WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR?!
Do you really want to write to Orange Star, Blue Moon, and Yellow Comet families that their significant male others died in "Operation Dunderhead" or "Operation Nap Patrol II"? I'm pretty sure that's worse than "Operation Bunnyhop".

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
You're completely crazy, you know that?

Four Final Battles? Beautiful. :golfclap:

Unknown Quantity
Sep 2, 2011

!
Steven? Steven?!
STEEEEEEVEEEEEEEN!
This is a very nice compromise that allows for everyone to get what they want out of the Final Battle. I was certain you could get Sonja for the Final Battle, though. Maybe I was just mistook it for the condition to unlock her in War Room. Either way I'm looking forward to this.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST

Unknown Quantity posted:

This is a very nice compromise that allows for everyone to get what they want out of the Final Battle. I was certain you could get Sonja for the Final Battle, though. Maybe I was just mistook it for the condition to unlock her in War Room. Either way I'm looking forward to this.

Given that she spends the final battle as a prisoner, no you never get to use her in Campaign.

DTaeKim
Aug 16, 2009

Your spoiler tag is broken. Also, Paul.Power, if you need help with your project, I could help if you want.

i81icu812
Dec 5, 2006
As a very slight bonus to make up for Olaf being otherwise crappy in the final battle, he does get the most stuff pre-deployed at the start. More free meteor fodder!

MR. J
Nov 22, 2011

Chuck and Fuck
Dunderhead's going to be awesome. Olaf the dysfunctional teammate.

Rorac
Aug 19, 2011

quote:

Should be all right, unless I get hopelessly stuck trying to get Olaf and/or Sami through The Final Battle...

I actually found Sami pretty useful there. It takes a while, but if you get a bunch of mechs and t-copters going (by a lot I mean like 5 but 7-8 is ideal), you can just do a massive t-copter charge and wreck the opponent via capturing stuff.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

I'll go with Sami as well.

I never had a chance to play the original Advance Wars, so this is rather interesting to see how different it is from the later games.

Though there is one thing bugging me. Most characters color schemes relate either to their faction, or to their histories with the various factions (Grit wearing the orange jacket while his clothing is russian-based, Sonia's red uniform in the original version) but Nell is wearing purple for no reason at all. I mean, yes, Sami and Max are wearing non-orange clothing, but it fits with their way of playing, Max being the tough-guy brute force, and Sami wearing guerilla-warfare style clothing (or at least the concept of what the clothing would look like) but Nell... is wearing a purple uniform. Is purple a lucky color? The only other time purple shows up is as the secondary color of Adder's uniform, and I hope to god they aren't implying that Nell is some sort of Black Hole mole because of a character who... probably doesn't even exist yet.

RocketDarkness
Jun 3, 2008
Votin' Sami so that she and Eagle can spend enough time fighting each other to get their A-rank Support. Err....wait a minute...

Teledahn
May 14, 2009

What is that bear doing there?

Paul.Power is a shining stalwart figure of LP completionists.

Also possibly insane and grandiose. Not a drawback.

More arrows please!

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Purple's an almost-artificial color, referring to her artificial luck, maybe?

I got nothin'.

Eeevil
Oct 28, 2010

Well obviously he didn't see it, or he'd be wearing a hardhat :colbert:
Purple is the color of royalty and she's higher ranked than everyone else.

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

Teledahn posted:

Paul.Power is a shining stalwart figure of LP completionists.

Also possibly insane and grandiose. Not a drawback.

More arrows please!
Hehe, thanks I guess ;).

I dunno, in some ways this is an easier ride than AW2 HC because the individual missions are so much shorter (granted this also means much stricter Speed criteria, but hey, clouds, silver linings). Longest things so far have been the Field Training updates, given their triple-decker nature (had to edit the final one down to avoid > 50,000 character syndrome). Of course, this might make the culture shock even deeper when I get to The Final Battle x4.

Going to be pretty busy the next couple of days, though, so it'll be a little while before the next update. I'll leave the poll open for now (in hindsight I probably closed some of the other polls earlier than I actually needed to).

DTaeKim posted:

Also, Paul.Power, if you need help with your project, I could help if you want.
I should be okay for now, but if this gets harder to keep up with later on I'll bear the offer in mind, thanks.

On the subject of uniform colours - yeah, I'll admit that's an odd one. I'm guessing the logic behind blue Max and green Sami is the same as the Fire Emblem blue-red-green triangle - only in AW it's red/orange protagonist, blue and green sidekicks rather than blue protagonist, red and green sidekicks. Which, given that the players' units are blue in FE and red in AW, makes sense. Sami's green camo is also (relatively) sensible for a military uniform, which I guess fits in with her (relatively) serious nature.

As for purple Nell... yeah it is kind of odd, not complaining too much though given it's my favourite colour. I guess royalty could work? Especially if you continue the Fire Emblem comparison.

DarthXaos
Oct 27, 2010
Voting for Sami

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Paul.Power posted:

On the subject of uniform colours - yeah, I'll admit that's an odd one. I'm guessing the logic behind blue Max and green Sami is the same as the Fire Emblem blue-red-green triangle - only in AW it's red/orange protagonist, blue and green sidekicks rather than blue protagonist, red and green sidekicks. Which, given that the players' units are blue in FE and red in AW, makes sense. Sami's green camo is also (relatively) sensible for a military uniform, which I guess fits in with her (relatively) serious nature.

Like I said, Samis and Maxs (and Drake, now that I think about it) uniforms don't fit their faction color, but they do fit their chosen fighting styles. Though I didn't know about the Fire Emblem color scheme triangle, which is rather neat. Though I don't recall Fire Emblem royalty using purple that much.

Walliard
Dec 29, 2010

Oppan Windfall Style
Only 4 of the 11 COs in this game have nationally-colored uniforms. We're overthinking this.

vv Correct.

Walliard fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Mar 12, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

Walliard posted:

Only 4 of the 11 COs in this game have nationally-colored uniforms. We're overthinking this.

Let's see, that would be:

Andy
Olaf
Kanbei
and HIM

Right?

• Locked thread