Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rdbbb
Jul 26, 2011

Random Stranger posted:

I just had a realization: we're probably getting a new AD next month. Takahashi has been the AD for a full year and with the staff even longer than that. It's long past time that he moves on to another position or show. So when season sixteen starts next month we're likely going to have a new AD. Takahashi is going to be a tough act to follow...

well, yes, he says as much in the Gradius ep.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow
I showed my brother Game Center CX and he didn't like it at all. His only comment was "I can't watch this! He's so BAD at these games!"

I don't think he got it. :(

abraxas
Apr 6, 2004

"It's a Yuletide!"

Wandering Knitter posted:

I showed my brother Game Center CX and he didn't like it at all. His only comment was "I can't watch this! He's so BAD at these games!"

I have a friend like that. He just gets really aggrevated with Arino and keeps doing this annyoed sighing and cursing at the screen. It's kind of unfortunate because I really enjoy the show a whole lot but it's just not for some people.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

I can't blame him, a lot of the times it's a tad frustrating watching Arino never learn and make some really dumb mistakes. It's great seeing him persevere, but I find myself asking "Really? You really hosed that up right now?" when I watch.

gangnam reference
Dec 26, 2010

shut up idiot shut up idiot shut up idiot shut up idiot

I know my first few times I felt like that as well. Luckily, I had a lot of free time and kept watching, then grew to realize the show was hardly about games and started enjoying it!

joek0
Oct 13, 2011
While we are on the subject of Megaman, did any of you guys watch the raw for Megaman 4. He seems to follow a pattern every time he plays a Megaman game. He does OK during the 8 robot master levels, but starts to have trouble after that. He always forgets that the boss gauntlet is coming during the Wily stages. Lastly, he forgets about Wily having multiple forms.

He plays a new megaman about every 2 years. Megaman 5 will be done around 2013.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I like Arino a lot but sometimes you really do want to scream at the dude.

Seriously, it drives me crazy when he decides the best solution is to tank through the damage. He does it over and over again until he can just barely tank through and then has crap health. I just want to scream at him to DODGE.

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

I was going through some of the earlier episodes I've missed (namely the SMB2/hot springs special) and I can't help but notice there's a lot of cabs Arino finds early on where the joystick and buttons are positioned on the front of the cab and face towards the player. What's up with those and how can that be comfortable to play on for a length of time?

Tyma
Dec 22, 2004

I love Leinster and I couldn't be happier that Jordie Barrett has signed with them on a short term deal.

iastudent posted:

I was going through some of the earlier episodes I've missed (namely the SMB2/hot springs special) and I can't help but notice there's a lot of cabs Arino finds early on where the joystick and buttons are positioned on the front of the cab and face towards the player. What's up with those and how can that be comfortable to play on for a length of time?

Most japanese players hold joysticks in a really weird way (which isn't the way Arino holds them), and while cocktail-style front-facing joysticks aren't the most comfortable, they kind of make sense when you force yourself to hold a 2-direction joystick that way.

I don't know whether cocktail cabionets or the "hold the joystick between two fingers" method came first, but I guess one inspired the other.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Has anyone been able to talk with Atlas about a possibility of stream tonight?

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?

ImpAtom posted:

I like Arino a lot but sometimes you really do want to scream at the dude.

Seriously, it drives me crazy when he decides the best solution is to tank through the damage. He does it over and over again until he can just barely tank through and then has crap health. I just want to scream at him to DODGE.

My favorite thing he ALWAYS does it put down the controller after beating the first form of a boss. If a boss has multiple forms, he will always celebrate, put down the controller, and then suddenly realize, wait, the game's not over!

rdbbb
Jul 26, 2011

I finally made a big update to the episode guide after a long while since there was so much going on, but it's also the final update. I'm happy to have turned anybody on to the show with it, but it definitely wasn't everybody. You can read more here. And you will continue to see me lingering around here, fer sure.

zari-gani
Sep 6, 2004

How much do you want it? ;-*
Thank you for all your hard work and everything you've done for the fandom, Ray. I will miss the updates.

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Much like with everything else in life, the Euros seem to have more sense on how to do things in a fun atmosphere without sucking the soul out of the event.
Happy trails, rdbbb.

Tyma
Dec 22, 2004

I love Leinster and I couldn't be happier that Jordie Barrett has signed with them on a short term deal.

rdbbb posted:

I finally made a big update to the episode guide after a long while since there was so much going on, but it's also the final update. I'm happy to have turned anybody on to the show with it, but it definitely wasn't everybody. You can read more here. And you will continue to see me lingering around here, fer sure.

For what it's worth, your guide was something I found after stumbling upon the early fansubbed episodes, and it was a real eye-opener to realise there was so much content out there, beyond the handful of fansubbed episodes.

It's like playing your first NES game, and then looking in the Sears catalogue, and realising how much more is out there that you don't have.

I think that reading the site and seeing the scale of GCCX made us pine for more, and that's almost certainly what drove a lot of people to try and rally fansubbers, and spread word of the show, so that we could eventually get to see all the episodes that were catalogued on the site.

A simple list of episode titles doesn't create the same "magic window" effect as the website. I don't know whether people "used" it for it's intended purpose, but the scope and detail of the website definately conveyed the depth and quality of the show, and whether it made people aware of GCCX, or merely heightened the urgency of fansubbing, it definately served a purpose.

Would you have met Arino in 2011 if that site wasn't one of the top hits on Google? Would there have been an SA thread if a few of us had just watched 6 episodes as a curiosity, without realising how much more content was out there, and being teased by descriptions and photos of it?.. I mean, you probably could have written 20 issues of Scoll.vg in that time, but I'm really glad you wrote that website instead ^^;

rdbbb
Jul 26, 2011

Tyma posted:

Would you have met Arino in 2011 if that site wasn't one of the top hits on Google? Would there have been an SA thread if a few of us had just watched 6 episodes as a curiosity, without realising how much more content was out there, and being teased by descriptions and photos of it?.. I mean, you probably could have written 20 issues of Scoll.vg in that time, but I'm really glad you wrote that website instead ^^;

You're not wrong, and I'm probably more grateful for all of that than you are for my stuff. And I know some of the bullet points read otherwise, but PLEASE don't think I'm actually bitter or bummed about anything, because the site is staying up, and I'm still here. Things have just reached a new stage.

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

I've had crunkgames bookmarked ever since I first discovered the show many years ago which was probably thanks to a segment you did on the 1up show. It served me well while watching the raws during the months and months it took for TV-Nihon to sub a new episode. Thanks for all the heard work you put into the guide over the years and I hope you do realise how much you have contributed to the spreading the good word of GCCX.

AggressivelyStupid
Jan 9, 2012

rdbbb posted:

Have you told the guy from here that the show is getting fansubbed? I think his name was Brian.

e: or Ryan. Portly fellow, wearing a hat. Starts at 8:30.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!
Your GCCX guide was my first introduction to the show, and Im sure it's the same for plenty of other people. Im sure some people are gonna whine about you finishing it in your email or something, but what you've done is awesome. I doubt there would be as many fans without your guide to show them the way.

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

Yeah, Crunkgames got me into GCCX as well. I actually read the episode guides a lot before actually finding out there were subbed episodes out there.

rdbbb
Jul 26, 2011

And man, if you guys think your GCCX episode collections are huge, try five years and 47 gigs of nothing but screenshots. :(

Drakkel
May 6, 2007

IT'S LIKE I CAN TOUCH YOU!
Thanks a lot for the episode guide, rdbbb. It's a nice companion to the show, being able to look forward to episodes I wanna see subbed in the future. Best of luck with whatever you're doing next!

Plasquatch
Mar 21, 2007

Yo, PM3:00 desu ka?
That is a shame. The Crunk guide was, and still is, an invaluable resource for finding out which corner segment was in which episode. (I've used it to fill in my own YouTube playlist of the show.) It's also useful for learning what's happened in episodes I haven't seen yet, and in the case of the raw episodes, figuring out exactly what I just watched.

But ultimately, if it's something you're not entirely happy with, and it's eating up time that you feel can be used better, decisions have to be made. I understand your conclusion, and I appreciate all the work you've put into it. I will probably continue to consult the thing at least every other day.

genredleader
Jan 30, 2012
Awwww.. Ray... This is kinda sad but... I can't fault your reasons either. For my part, your guide has been these last couple years and even in its "completed" form will continue to be a valuable resource to me. You have done many people a great service with it. We salute you, Sir, and I'm sure the GCCX staff would too. Take a good long rest, you've earned it. :tipshat:

Jetpack Postman
Jun 30, 2011
Thanks a lot for all your hard work, rdbbb! While your guide wasn't why I got into GCCX, it certainly was a root cause - I don't even think there'd be a topic on these forums if your episode guide didn't inform some of us that this show existed and that certainly counts for a lot. I understand your reasons for stopping, but I think the most important thing to take away is that the time and effort you put into it was certainly very worthwhile. Also, sorry again that I didn't recognize you so I could say hi when Arino came down to LA - oh well, perhaps next time!

Thanks again for all the hard work!

Seith
Sep 28, 2011
Here is a link for all your effort and trouble, Ray. Just my way of saying "thanks" for the work over the years.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=t2mU6USTBRE#t=65s

genredleader
Jan 30, 2012
I think a more appropriate video would be: http://youtu.be/a6WmSIjDg5Y?t=13m13s

At least, this is what was going through my head when I read Ray's letter.

Edison Carter
Mar 26, 2010
There's something I've been curious about for a while now. Maybe it was just "the other guys" and their translation, but I definitely got the impression in the earlier seasons that they just thought the show was over more than once, only for it to return for another season. Was it just basically a bad translation about the season being over? Or did the show really get saved/picked-up over and over again out of nowhere early on?

makere
Jan 14, 2012

Edison Carter posted:

Or did the show really get saved/picked-up over and over again out of nowhere early on?

This. Well mostly they had no clue whether the show will continue or not at couple seasons end.

GidgetNomates
May 6, 2010

I love this hobby:
stealing your mother's diary

Edison Carter posted:

There's something I've been curious about for a while now. Maybe it was just "the other guys" and their translation, but I definitely got the impression in the earlier seasons that they just thought the show was over more than once, only for it to return for another season. Was it just basically a bad translation about the season being over? Or did the show really get saved/picked-up over and over again out of nowhere early on?

I don't actually know I'm just guessing, but I saw it as a King of the Hill type situation where they always thought they were going to be cancelled so they planned accordingly, then it turned out they were coming back.

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

I understand why you're quitting the guide, Ray, nut don't sell yourself short. You definitely are the number 1 reason GCCX is as popular as it is in the west, and you'll always be the grandaddy of GCCX fandom!

GidgetNomates
May 6, 2010

I love this hobby:
stealing your mother's diary
Yeah, I stumbled upon GCCX on youtube when looking for Roommania #203 vids, but without your site I wouldn't have actually known what I was looking at and I wouldn't have ended up seeing more of the show. Thanks for all your hard work, buddy. It was worth it.

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

I have no idea who rdbbb is other than that nerd who cosplayed when he met Arino, but if he's responsible for this thread happening and me watching stuff, then well, good job, brah.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

cronox2
Jul 24, 2010

woah, you look
REALLY pissed off...
Ray, you should use the new extra time to turn Alex Fraioli into the internet celebrity he deserves to be. That part where he was just DJ'ing sound drops this week on the podcast was killing me at work trying to hold back the laughter.

Davzz
Jul 31, 2008
Can someone tell me why Bomberman and the enemies in Lode Runner use the same sprite? Was Hudson Soft like a really low budget company back in the past or something?

Dizzybone
Nov 24, 2007

Davzz posted:

Can someone tell me why Bomberman and the enemies in Lode Runner use the same sprite? Was Hudson Soft like a really low budget company back in the past or something?

I think it's because Hudson incorporated Lode Runner into the Bomberman storyline. At the end of Bomberman he becomes "Runner", and I assumed the Bomberman enemies were other robots sent to get him back/take him out for escaping his life of robot servitude.

Bocc Kob
Oct 26, 2010
It's all a massive conspiracy. :aaaaa:

Erwin Tuwonwon
Oct 30, 2011

Davzz posted:

Well, you see, at the end of Bomberman, said man "becomes Runner," and then the enemies are him and--yeah, it's just reused sprites. The story made no sense to me anyway, as Lode Runner predates Bomberman by quite a bit. Reusing sprites and sounds was extremely common back then, but it wasn't always so blatantly obvious. Sometimes it was more so.
Edit:

Dizzybone posted:

I think it's because Hudson incorporated Lode Runner into the Bomberman storyline. At the end of Bomberman he becomes "Runner", and I assumed the Bomberman enemies were other robots sent to get him back/take him out for escaping his life of robot servitude.

Ah, that was it! From Wiki: "The NES and Game Boy versions begin with "Bomberman" (the eponymous character of the game) growing bored of making bombs in an underground factory of the Bungeling Empire. After hearing a rumor that robots reaching the surface become human, he decides to escape. When he does, he transforms and becomes known as the "Runner." [here comes the best part] This storyline was discontinued (outside of possibly Act Zero)."

That makes it have a cool "run from the dystopia" sounding plot.

Erwin Tuwonwon fucked around with this message at 17:54 on Mar 14, 2012

zari-gani
Sep 6, 2004

How much do you want it? ;-*
I have Championship Lode Runner and it's practically impossible for me to get through even a single stage. It's incredible how Arino figured out the very first stage all by himself (though he did have a lot of practice with regular Lode Runner).

Yesterday I got another Famicom puzzle-action game he challenged -- Tower of Babel. Again, I'm struggling with the very first stage... Arino's brain is truly made for puzzles. Maybe because he's so patient.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Primoman
Jan 23, 2012

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Anyone have the record for the fastest completion time Arino spent on a game?

I'm wondering if there's ever been an occasion off-screen where he ends up breezing through a game at a surprising rate, only to have the manager or so forth intervene by saying his level of suck was off.

Also, having recently watched the Street Fighter II episode, I humbly request a gif or two of Arino imitating Dhalsim's yoga dance.