Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.

Ape Agitator posted:

Assassin's Creed (the entire series) really disappointed me in even the concept of having "combat". You're an assassin, not Kratos, so why would you even be swinging maces and stuff instead of disappearing into the shadows.

I remember back when they were doing the AC1 tech demonstration and I'd swear that some commentator or another said you didn't want to get caught in combat because it was deadly but combat in AC is anything but. Most times you can fight until you get bored and there's almost no risk.

I think the AC series would have been far more successful in concept if anything besides 1v1 combat was a death sentence. It would have given the game the necessary tension and thrill that I think it was lacking. When Brotherhood proved to have more of the same, I basically gave up on the series. I had a lot of fun with the series (well, with AC2 and AC:Brotherhood) but I've got no more interest in waiting to press counter yet again. And I don't really care if I get a successful assassination because unless they hard code a mission failure for being seen you can just beat faces.

I agree with everything you say. One of the biggest flaws with the first AC, is that clearly they intended players to run away from fights. Everything in the game is telling you to run, do some crazy parkour getaway to hide. Several problems with this:

Running away from 15 guards isn't as much fun as killing 15 guards.

Running away from 15 guards isn't as quick as killing 15 guards.

Running away from 15 guards isn't as easy as killing 15 guards.

And the biggest nail in the coffin of their design was that there was zero penalty for failure. Rather than thinking "Oh gently caress, 15 guards I had better scram" I would leap into a fight knowing that even if I die, which at the start did happen a few times, then it instantly reloads you at pretty much the same spot so you can just go at it again. You'll only ever fail a big fight once, maybe twice if they have some archers get involved. Even with the reloads it's still quicker, easier, and more fun than running.

I just basically said "gently caress it", and embraced the fact that it was a fun and easy sword-fighting game. Because let's be frank, there are hardly any decent hack/slash/parry sword-fighting games in existence. Demon's Souls and to a lesser extent Skyrim provide some of that good stuff, but the last game that accurately had swords clashing against swords before Assassin's Creed was the original Prince of Persia! It's a genre of games that is criminally under-represented, for the most part any time you are playing a game with a sword in your hand it's just hacking away at baddies without any blocking or parrying. Assassin's Creed didn't deliver what it set out to do, but what it did give me was something that I couldn't get anywhere else. This, this is why I still value even that highly flawed first game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

Parkingtigers posted:

Because let's be frank, there are hardly any decent hack/slash/parry sword-fighting games in existence.

Sid Meier's Pirates :colbert:

Polite Tim
Sep 3, 2007
'insert witty Family Guy/ Futurama/ Simpsons/ Little fucking Britian etc quote here'

Ape Agitator posted:

I remember back when they were doing the AC1 tech demonstration and I'd swear that some commentator or another said you didn't want to get caught in combat because it was deadly but combat in AC is anything but. Most times you can fight until you get bored and there's almost no risk.

I do remember someone saying right at the beginning of the series development, perhaps even after the first ever trailer for AC1 came out, that combat was extremely dangerous and sword strikes would be one or two hit kills (kinda like how combat works in the rainbow six games), but i guess focus groups didn't like it so they changed it.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

It really seems like they originally planned for the games to be more like Ancient Hitman and at some point ended up changing their mind so that it now focuses on effectively super-awesome badasses who slaughter entire armies on foot. I just wish they would fix the combat system and controls to compensate. The entire "high profile/low profile" mechanic makes no sense with how the game is designed now. Unless the mission objective involves "don't get caught," there's no reason to not use high profile, and the high/low profile mechanics are kind of wonky anyway.

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche

loudog999 posted:

Any other jewels from the PS3 generation I should be looking into?

That's easy, you should definitely check out Valkyria Chr

loudog999 posted:

The only games I don't like, and its only because I am horrible at them, are strategy RPGs. So anything like FFT and Disgaea are way off limit.

Oh... oh.

The God of War series is good, and so is Infamous 1+2.

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

I've seen fun you people wouldn't believe.
Tiki torches on fire off the summit of Kilauea.
I watched disco balls glitter in the dark near the Brandenburg Gate.
All those moments will be lost in time, like crowds in rain.

Time to sleep.

Crappy Jack posted:

Exactly. AC combat is piss easy.

But I like that, because it makes me feel like a badass who effortlessly parries and kills like ten guards in a row and then vanishes like nothing happens.

I found a way to make the game harder the last time I played it before 2 came out: turn off all of the HUD.

Granted most people will probably just hate this, since combat is basically the same, and it just makes finding things harder. I always played the game as a parkour game that had assassinations between free-running sessions instead of an assassination game with free-running between murders, so this worked for me. This also caused me to get lost explore a lot in the countryside of the Kingdom that I'd otherwise overlook since flag hunting was pointless without trophies.

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Can I buy you a rootbeer?
I still don't get the dislike of AC's combat system. It's so, so easy to fix it yourself - just don't use the counter-move. Ever. It makes the combat a fair bit more tense. Still not really hard, but not the boring counter-fest it would otherwise be. I reserve it for when I am honestly getting destroyed by attackers and need a quick out. Otherwise, it's all about trolling soldiers with thrown javelines and swords, calling in helpers, running around waving a sword on horseback because it's awesome, etc.

It's a game that rewards people willing to make their own fun in a sandbox'y world, of which I am one, I guess.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Shalinor posted:

I still don't get the dislike of AC's combat system. It's so, so easy to fix it yourself - just don't use the counter-move. Ever. It makes the combat a fair bit more tense. Still not really hard, but not the boring counter-fest it would otherwise be. I reserve it for when I am honestly getting destroyed by attackers and need a quick out. Otherwise, it's all about trolling soldiers with thrown javelines and swords, calling in helpers, running around waving a sword on horseback because it's awesome, etc.

It's a game that rewards people willing to make their own fun in a sandbox'y world, of which I am one, I guess.

See, I tried not doing counters and rather than finding it easy and dull I found it slightly annoying and dull.

I admit, in general, that I'm not as much of a person that loves open world games. I tend to not find that much fun in the pure sandbox. his is probably also why I don't like Saint's Row half as much as alot of you tend to.

Urban Achiever
Mar 29, 2005

I don't think the hate towards the combat system is just because of the counter-fest that it typically becomes, but also (as Puddin elaborated on) because it invites you to play the game that is somewhat counter to the whole philosophy of being an assassin. Sure, the solution there is to just stay out of combat and focus on avoidance, but the game stacks that approach against you.

Anyway, it's an interesting dilemma. The combat is genuinely fun (at least it was for me when I last played a few years ago), so there's a draw to it, but it breaks the immersion quite a bit that your 'live by the shadows assassin' can easily fight 10 plus guards with giant pikes simultaneously.

I guess part of me would love a difficulty setting where a frontal assault on any alerted guard is almost certain death, but that would probably put me in the minority.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER

ImpAtom posted:

It really seems like they originally planned for the games to be more like Ancient Hitman and at some point ended up changing their mind so that it now focuses on effectively super-awesome badasses who slaughter entire armies on foot. I just wish they would fix the combat system and controls to compensate. The entire "high profile/low profile" mechanic makes no sense with how the game is designed now. Unless the mission objective involves "don't get caught," there's no reason to not use high profile, and the high/low profile mechanics are kind of wonky anyway.

Oh yeah, the one thing they didn't fix in AC2 was that you still needed to hold down a button in low profile to gently push people out of the way. Um hey, I'm walking slowly, how about by walking slowly I just naturally try not to make that dude drop a box?

It's also ridiculous that you could make a horse move at 4 different speeds, when all you will ever use is walk and gallop. And more of the latter than the former. The idea of blending on a horse to slowly sneak past guards was mental. I'm on a goddamn horse, they are on foot, I think I'll just gallop past and let them shout at my back as I vanish over the horizon in 5 seconds.

As you say, no reason not to use high profile all the time.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Shalinor posted:

I'm of the opinion that it shouldn't be up to the player to "fix" the game in that way, that's all. I can improve my experience in it but I can't look past the fact that they made bad decisions when they were designing it.

However none of that changes the fact that AC is one of my favorite game series ever.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

The AC games are one of my favorite series and I like the combat, but after playing Arkham City no melee combat system can ever fully satisfy me again

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

I just dusted off Infamous 2 for the first time since launch, mainly to try out the new Move controls. My first thought: Why weren't these the standard at launch, anyway? It works great. Circle-strafing while headshotting has never been easier.

Looks like they expanded the UGC support somewhat, too. More options, plus people can now use boss-size enemies. They never added support for Nix and Kuo to be added to missions though, did they?

Considering getting that Festival Of Blood standalone thing. It has its own UGC server and content, right?

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER

Urban Achiever posted:

I don't think the hate towards the combat system is just because of the counter-fest that it typically becomes, but also (as Puddin elaborated on) because it invites you to play the game that is somewhat counter to the whole philosophy of being an assassin. Sure, the solution there is to just stay out of combat and focus on avoidance, but the game stacks that approach against you.

Anyway, it's an interesting dilemma. The combat is genuinely fun (at least it was for me when I last played a few years ago), so there's a draw to it, but it breaks the immersion quite a bit that your 'live by the shadows assassin' can easily fight 10 plus guards with giant pikes simultaneously.

I guess part of me would love a difficulty setting where a frontal assault on any alerted guard is almost certain death, but that would probably put me in the minority.

Oh I would have loved that. Honestly, the only thing the game needed to fix the combat would have been to make it that your health bar didn't recharge until you were out of sight of pursuers. Bam, game fixed right there (repetition issues aside).

With that, sure you could do a bit of fighting but the guards get a few hits in now and then. Seeing the health whittle down with no way for it to start regenerating would really make you feel at at some point you need to get the hell out of there. As it stands, I can just concentrate on blocking and see the bar go up quicker than they can knock it down.

Oh, and being grabbed and thrown by the guards should have done damage too. As it is right now, being thrown is just a way to avoid attacks for a few seconds so it actually gives you a chance to heal up rather than being a penalty.

Urban Achiever
Mar 29, 2005

Parkingtigers posted:

Oh I would have loved that. Honestly, the only thing the game needed to fix the combat would have been to make it that your health bar didn't recharge until you were out of sight of pursuers. Bam, game fixed right there (repetition issues aside).
I'd dig that. At least make it a 'hard core' option. Those are all the rage with the kids nowadays, aren't they?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

quote:

but it breaks the immersion quite a bit that your 'live by the shadows assassin' can easily fight 10 plus guards with giant pikes simultaneously.

Ezio really isn't a "live by the shadows assassin", though. Maybe Altair, but not Ezio.

Urban Achiever
Mar 29, 2005

Valid point. Now if only they had changed the name of the game to, 'Berserker's Creed'.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Aphrodite posted:

Ezio really isn't a "live by the shadows assassin", though. Maybe Altair, but not Ezio.
Yeah, this is how I felt about the change of tone in the series. Altair seemed to operate more secretly in the shadows. Ezio is a pretty well-known public figure and almost seems to openly challenge his enemies. Any notion of stealth in AC2 seems kind of laughable. He does a real poor job of being kept in the shadows I'd say.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I don't mind it being combat heavy but if you're going to make it combat heavy the combat really needs to be good. Even not countering just tends to make it tedious and repetitive. It certainly doesn't help coming off Arkham City directly to Assassin's Creed:R. It's like going from a perfectly cooked steak to a cheap burger.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

ImpAtom posted:

I don't mind it being combat heavy but if you're going to make it combat heavy the combat really needs to be good. Even not countering just tends to make it tedious and repetitive. It certainly doesn't help coming off Arkham City directly to Assassin's Creed:R. It's like going from a perfectly cooked steak to a cheap burger.
Recently I got introduced to a concept that is behind a lot of problems I have with games: complexity without difficulty. It really is a bad combination, and one I feel like we are seeing more and more of these days.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

I'M FEELING JIMMY
AC2 introduced smoke grenades. Why are you guys doing so much fighting? I'll admit it's tedious when the game forces it, but how often is it that you can't just push someone or throw a grenade and then run away?

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Samurai Sanders posted:

Recently I got introduced to a concept that is behind a lot of problems I have with games: complexity without difficulty. It really is a bad combination, and one I feel like we are seeing more and more of these days.
I hadn't heard that concept before but I like the idea. I just started playing AC:R and it's like okay, I can make a hundred different kinds of bombs in addition to poisoning, using a gun, throwing coins, tossing assassin recruits, etc. etc. Or I could just stab guys in the throat and be done in five seconds.

Palleon
Aug 11, 2003

I've got a hot deal on a bridge to the Pegasus Galaxy!
Grimey Drawer

SpacePig posted:

AC2 introduced smoke grenades. Why are you guys doing so much fighting? I'll admit it's tedious when the game forces it, but how often is it that you can't just push someone or throw a grenade and then run away?

Because it takes less effort and time to stab 5 guys with chain kills than it does to throw a smoke bomb and find a hiding place.

Urban Achiever
Mar 29, 2005

Samurai Sanders posted:

complexity without difficulty.
That's a great saying. I think what I hate the most about that is the artificial learning curve that comes with complex controls. I hate taking a break from a game for a few months and then trying to pick it up only to be stumped because I can't remember which arcane button combination is necessary to pull off some necessary move.

I actually went through this exact thing with AC2 (coincidentally). I joined the game in Venice after putting it down for a few months due to work. I was immediately stuck because I couldn't figure out how to make a certain type of jump that's different from the regular type of jump to get out of some alley that I was in. It took a REALLY long time to just get my bearings and feel like I was in the game again.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
My trick to making AC2 combat fun was to use bare-handed disarms whenever possible. This meant I got to use a large variety of weapons (and a larger variety of kill/counter animations) and some of the more obscure parts of the combat system, like the polearm sweep move or the ability to hurl heavy weapons at enemies to one-shot them.

Nothing in any of the games was as satisfying as throwing a claymore through the ribcage of one of those assholes on a horse in Brotherhood as he charges at you.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER

Sindai posted:

My trick to making AC2 combat fun was to use bare-handed disarms whenever possible.

Oh god yes, I had forgotten how awesome these are. Nothing was more satisfying than standing there unarmed, inviting some arsehole to have a go, then taking their weapon and beating them to death with it.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

Teslavi posted:

That fight was most certainly not designed for armor-piercing rounds. AP rounds aren't even really an ammo type, since the main point of the magazine case is to use your enemy knowledge to effectively exploit weaknesses and/or inflict status ailments. Armor-piercing rounds are just an "I win" button that works for pretty much everything.

Basic strategy for those enemies is to concentrate fire on a single piece of their armor, break it off, then just attack through that opening. Bonus shots also work incredibly well if you decide to focus on launching. The trickiest part of that fight specifically is killing one quickly enough before you get overwhelmed. If you're crafty enough you can lure them into hitting each other.

Wait, you can target specific pieces of armor? Is that what that weird reticle when you hit R3 [or whatever it is] does? Son of a bitch. That would've made a bunch of things a lot easier.

e. Yeah I know, "read the manual/tutorial, idiot"

Code Jockey fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Mar 12, 2012

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Code Jockey posted:

Wait, you can target specific pieces of armor?

Your shots will damage whatever piece of armor is in your direct line of fire, unless you're jumping, and then you'll hit all pieces of armor equally.

Kenshirou
Jan 6, 2007

j.HP, c.Mp xx Flash Kick
For some reason I kept reading AC as Armored Core and was wondering what people were talking about. Is the AC5 demo supposed to be out this week?

I just ordered Tales and Yakuza, two games I totally forgot were coming out this week. Hoping that Yakuza isn't as bad as some people say, but as long as I can run around beating poo poo up I don't really care.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free
^^ Haha yeah I do the AC == Armored Core thing too :v: Also gently caress yes Yakuza [don't even care how bad it is/might be]

Dominic White posted:

Your shots will damage whatever piece of armor is in your direct line of fire, unless you're jumping, and then you'll hit all pieces of armor equally.

Oh okay that's what I thought. Yeah, that I knew.

[loving fat guys and their tiny shoulder plates that absorb everything t:mad:]

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Can I buy you a rootbeer?

Sindai posted:

Nothing in any of the games was as satisfying as throwing a claymore through the ribcage of one of those assholes on a horse in Brotherhood as he charges at you.
This, right here.

If you weren't carrying the Spada as your heavy weapon, and beginning every single combat by throwing it into the skull of the nearest officer - you just weren't playing Assassin's Creed 2: Brotherhood.

... and then you sauntered over, grabbed it, and threw it into the next guy. Or you took out the spear user first, then threw THAT into the nearest guard. Etc. When bored, find the nearest spear / grab your Spada, and huck it down a busy street. See how far you can get a clean throw without spearing a civilian.

Discount Viscount
Jul 9, 2010

FIND THE FISH!

Krad posted:

That's easy, you should definitely check out Valkyria Chr

Oh... oh.

The God of War series is good, and so is Infamous 1+2.

I'd still recomnend that he check out the Valkyria Chronicles demo at least. I've not played much of any tactics game before but that demo convinced me to get it.

Still need to PLAY it (and Advance Wars and the two console Fire Emblem games that I still have in the plastic) but am looking forward to that day.

Seriously check out some demos. And if After Burner Climax goes on sale for 5 bucks again it's totally worth it.

Honey Badger
Jan 5, 2012

^^^ Like this, but its your mouth, and shit comes out of it.

"edit: Oh neat, babby's first avatar. Kind of a convoluted metaphor but eh..."

No, shit is actually extruding out of your mouth, and your'e a pathetic dick, shut the fuck up.
Do I need to play through Uncharted before I try Uncharted 2? I've heard the first one has not aged well at all, but I figure if I play it first I might not notice. Then again if it totally sucks now and I don't need to play it to understand whats going on in the sequel, I'd probably just skip it.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

Honey Badger posted:

Do I need to play through Uncharted before I try Uncharted 2? I've heard the first one has not aged well at all, but I figure if I play it first I might not notice. Then again if it totally sucks now and I don't need to play it to understand whats going on in the sequel, I'd probably just skip it.

You can play Uncharted 2 first, but you'll be missing out on a lot of the impact of seeing familiar faces and understanding character relationships. The mechanics are much more solid in 2, so you'll never want to go back and play 1 after you do; personally, I say if you have easy access to 1, it can only help to play it first and then play 2, because it definitely enhances the experience (and the experience is the main reason to even play in the first place), but it won't kill you if you just jump right into 2.

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH

Code Jockey posted:

Wait, you can target specific pieces of armor? Is that what that weird reticle when you hit R3 [or whatever it is] does? Son of a bitch. That would've made a bunch of things a lot easier.

Wait, there's something that pops up when you press R3? That's not in the manual or tutorial.

Time to go back to the old standby of "hit every button, always".

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

Honey Badger posted:

Just play it, don't be a baby.

Electromax
May 6, 2007

Honey Badger posted:

Just replayed it after 2 and 3 and it was still great. People are so harsh nowadays, a 2007 PS3 game "hasn't aged well" maybe compared to UC2, not to compared to pretty much any game before the current generation. It's lovely unless you expect it to be better than its sequels. The gunplay and traversal isn't for everyone, but that's true of the other 2 games as well.

robot roll call
Mar 7, 2006

dance dance dance dance dance to the radio

Honey Badger posted:

I would say play it. It still looks good and has a great presentation. The combat got a little tedious for me in some parts and the game takes a weird turn later on that I didn't really enjoy, but overall it was worth the playthrough. Plus it takes like 8 or 10 hours tops. If anything, it will make Uncharted 2 even better when you get to it.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
Isn't there a double pack for uncharted or was that another game I'm thinking of both. Uncharted 1 was good, Uncharted 2 was awesome.

Ignore the ones who said Uncharted 1 didn't age well. It still looks good for a ps3 game. While the combat is nothing to write about, the climbing is still drat fun :colbert:

Uncharted 2 had just more great set pieces compared to one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spalec
Apr 16, 2010
The first Uncharted has some very irritating difficultly spikes here and there, don't be scared to change the difficulty if you keep getting killed at the same checkpoint.

1 is nowhere near the quality of 2 and 3 but it`s still awesome.

• Locked thread