Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

illcendiary posted:

If $100 is a major deciding factor in your decision, what are you doing buying a tablet in the first place?
Why is it so hard to understand that some people like saving money where they can, even if they could afford to spend more? The difference between a refurb iPad 2 and a new iPad is $150. If the upgrade isn't worth that to them, then why spend the money?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

got dat wmd
Apr 28, 2009
Some software coming out will probably take more advantage of the higher resolution display or the more RAM or any of the other new features. It's futureproofing in these cases. The same could be said of tablets that will be receiving Ice Cream Sandwich and tablets that won't have Ice Cream Sandwich but are less expensive.

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

Damn, this is good coffee.

Install Gentoo posted:

poo poo why not say you're stupid if you don't get a maxed out 3G one?

you are

And it's 4G LTE, thank you very much :hehe:

Edit: Plus the whole thing about comparing two devices not really being the same as comparing two of the same with different storage capacities. I'll conveniently exclude 3G/4G models from this because it adds on an extra cost to the device which I agree might not be worth it.

My Linux Rig
Mar 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!

sethsez posted:

Why is it so hard to understand that some people like saving money where they can, even if they could afford to spend more? The difference between a refurb iPad 2 and a new iPad is $150. If the upgrade isn't worth that to them, then why spend the money?
But the higher res screen and other features are worth it. Like literally the one thing you use the most on a tablet is the screen, which would make browsing the internet, reading a book, or watching a movie that much nicer.

It just boggles my mind that those are the reasons you want to get a tablet, but your scrimping on the most important part for those tasks (the display) just to save a measly hundred bucks.

But fine, if that last hundred is that important to you, then the iPad 2 would still be a good choice for a tablet. It's just the iPad 3 is better choice for just $100 more.

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

got dat wmd posted:

Some software coming out will probably take more advantage of the higher resolution display or the more RAM or any of the other new features. It's futureproofing in these cases. The same could be said of tablets that will be receiving Ice Cream Sandwich and tablets that won't have Ice Cream Sandwich but are less expensive.

You're right, but when we're talking about someone who wants a device to browse the internet and read some books, that's all kind of a moot point. People who are getting a tablet because they want to make the most of it and plan on it being their main computer most of the time should get the absolute best that's available, but if it's going to be used as a couch web browser, what difference does future proofing really make?

The difference with Ice Cream Sandwich tablets is that Honeycomb is terrible, buggy and slow so an update is pretty much required, while the iPad 2 has basically been stable as a rock since launch. It's already a good product. There's no urgent need for an update. It'd be nice, but not necessary for basic functionality at this point.

My Linux Rig
Mar 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!

sethsez posted:

The difference with Ice Cream Sandwich tablets is that Honeycomb is terrible, buggy and slow so an update is pretty much required, while the iPad 2 has basically been stable as a rock since launch. It's already a good product. There's no urgent need for an update. It'd be nice, but not necessary for basic functionality at this point.

But I didn't say throw out your old iPad and get the new one, in fact I remember saying hold on to the old one. Yeah, there isn't an urgent need to get the new one if you already have the iPad 2, but if you don't have one, why not just go for the latest model?

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

My Linux Rig posted:

But I didn't say throw out your old iPad and get the new one, in fact I remember saying hold on to the old one. Yeah, there isn't an urgent need to get the new one if you already have the iPad 2, but if you don't have one, why not just go for the latest model?

This is going in circles.

sethsez posted:

Dodoman
Feb 26, 2009

A moment of laxity
A lifetime of regret
Lipstick Apathy
Android Tablet Thread:No really, buy an iPad

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

Dodoman posted:

Unless you want flash support, expandable storage, 16:9 AR, HDMI out, DLNA, or USB Host support for things like this.

Or the choice of different form factors and price points..

Dodoman
Feb 26, 2009

A moment of laxity
A lifetime of regret
Lipstick Apathy

zer0spunk posted:

Unless you want flash support, expandable storage, 16:9 AR, HDMI out, DLNA, or USB Host support for things like this.

Who needs all that. The iPad just works :smug:.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
People keep saying "it's just $100" but in a $500 device that's 20% and that's nothing to sneeze at.

Buy the features for your needs. A super resolution isn't necessary to check GMail.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Craptacular! posted:

People keep saying "it's just $100" but in a $500 device that's 20% and that's nothing to sneeze at.

Buy the features for your needs. A super resolution isn't necessary to check GMail.

I loved my Nook Color running an ICS ROM. It was super usable, and even my non-technical wife found it good to use, and liked it. There were no usability issues, except the sleep of death bug that only happened if you shut if off with wifi on, but even that took about eight to nine hours to kill the battery. I realize that's sort of a :goonsay: thing, but at $150 you could do a lot worse.

EDIT: Full disclosure, I did sell both of my Nook Colors, but that wasn't because I didn't like them. My wife has an iPhone, so I figured I'd get her an iPad2 to compliment that, so she didn't have to buy apps twice. And I only used my Nook to watch TV and movies on the train to work, times when I should be doing other things, so I got rid of it to remove the distraction.

Codiusprime
Mar 17, 2006

zer0spunk posted:

Pfft, you should know that any feature worth having in a tablet is already in the iPad. It's not like you'll use any of those features ever.

And if this thread has taught me anything its that different price points don't matter because if you can't buy a 64gig lte iPad 3 your a poor and don't deserve to have electronics.

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

Codiusprime posted:

And if this thread has taught me anything its that different price points don't matter because if you can't buy a 64gig lte iPad 3 your a poor and don't deserve to have electronics.

Finally you guys are talking sense ;)

Codiusprime
Mar 17, 2006

golgo13sf posted:

Finally you guys are talking sense ;)

I know right!! It's only taken us how many threads?!

Kynetx
Jan 8, 2003

Full of ignorant tribalism. Kinda sad.

Codiusprime posted:

This assertion has always made my eyes roll because I don't think I've ever saved a single penny buying Android hardware. When you can get an iPhone at Wal-Mart for 80 bucks on contract, it ceases to be an aspirational purchase.
Anyone showing off Apple devices in order to appear to have money is a moron.

Doghouse
Oct 22, 2004

I was playing Harvest Moon 64 with this kid who lived on my street and my cows were not doing well and I got so raged up and frustrated that my eyes welled up with tears and my friend was like are you crying dude. Are you crying because of the cows. I didn't understand the feeding mechanic.

Jerk McJerkface posted:

I loved my Nook Color running an ICS ROM. It was super usable, and even my non-technical wife found it good to use, and liked it. There were no usability issues, except the sleep of death bug that only happened if you shut if off with wifi on, but even that took about eight to nine hours to kill the battery. I realize that's sort of a :goonsay: thing, but at $150 you could do a lot worse.

EDIT: Full disclosure, I did sell both of my Nook Colors, but that wasn't because I didn't like them. My wife has an iPhone, so I figured I'd get her an iPad2 to compliment that, so she didn't have to buy apps twice. And I only used my Nook to watch TV and movies on the train to work, times when I should be doing other things, so I got rid of it to remove the distraction.

ICS is working for the Nook Color? :psyduck: Can you point me to this?

clockworx
Oct 15, 2005
The Internet Whore made me buy this account

Doghouse posted:

There's a couple of builds on XDA under the Nook Color dev section:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1444943
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1526115

There's still some bugs being worked out, but it's mostly usable.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Doghouse posted:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1444943
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1526115

Edit: :arghfist::mad:

Super-NintendoUser fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Mar 12, 2012

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!

Nut Bunnies posted:

The fact of the matter is that the $500 tablets ARE the basic commuter devices. The ones that aren't are slow, laggy, buggy pieces of junk. And, yes, that includes the Kindle Fire.

My Nook Tablet was $250 and I've been shocked at how it's been rock loving solid without lag, bugs, stutter, and so on. I keep throwing it bigger and bigger jobs (tower defense games, streaming hi-res video, and the worst Android fucker I could think of: PYF Gif threads) and it gives no fucks; I assume this is because it's got enough RAM finally. I think that not enough RAM is the major failure point of Android. My phone already looked bad before I got the Nook but now, jesus, I hate it.

Install Gentoo posted:

Indeed, most people have no use for a tablet that costs more than what they probably paid for their Target sale HDTV or Best Buy laptop special.

Main Paineframe posted:

If you pay less than $500 for a computer, you're going to get an absolute piece of poo poo that was already outdated when it hit the shelves, and I don't see why it should be any different for a tablet.

Haha, what? The HP Minis we've bought were each top of the line at the time of purchase and were less than $500 added together (neither was purchased on sale).

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

I'm sorry, but by no one's definition of "top of the line" will you find an Atom processor.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
Were there better netbooks available at the time?

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

He said "computer" not "netbook"; why yes, the Nook is the top of the line 7" form factor Android-derivative tablet released by a major book retailer. See how that's a little disingenuous?

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

theflyingexecutive posted:

He said "computer" not "netbook"; why yes, the Nook is the top of the line 7" form factor Android-derivative tablet released by a major book retailer. See how that's a little disingenuous?

But that isn't what the quoted post said at all - it said any sub $500 computer is going to be an outdated piece of poo poo which is ridiculous

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Yep, and that true statement includes all netbooks.

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003
Netbooks are the worst answer to a problem in the history of computing.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

golgo13sf posted:

I think Chromebooks will be taking that crown soon, or at least be the jester of that debacle.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with a modern E-350 or E-450 netbook, they're perfectly fast enough for pretty much any type of non-gaming usage and even have surpsingly good battery life.

Go and check out the netbook megathread in SH/SC and you'll see plenty of goons who are perfectly satisfied with netbooks.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007

I guess you win this argument! :stare:

Spatule
Mar 18, 2003

golgo13sf posted:

Netbooks are awesome if you travel for example. Light, compact, good battery life, good enough for most basic tasks, and also dirt cheap. What's not to love exactly ?

Codiusprime
Mar 17, 2006

Spatule posted:

Netbooks are awesome if you travel for example. Light, compact, good battery life, good enough for most basic tasks, and also dirt cheap. What's not to love exactly ?

It isn't a quad core i7 with dual GPUs so why would you bother?

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Dodoman posted:

Android Tablet Thread: Your Purchasing Priorities are Different Than Mine

I have to say I'm warming up to the Transformer Prime. Speaking personally I'm glad I got a Xoom a long time ago, tried it out, and then returned it and decided to wait out the initial rush. My friend who got a Galaxy tab doesn't really use it; it's been sitting on his desk for the last week not having been touched once. They're extremely neat devices, still not sure if I need one though. I think for me the next bump up in resolution will probably seal the deal.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Scaramouche posted:

Android Tablet Thread: Your Purchasing Priorities are Different Than Mine

I have to say I'm warming up to the Transformer Prime. Speaking personally I'm glad I got a Xoom a long time ago, tried it out, and then returned it and decided to wait out the initial rush. My friend who got a Galaxy tab doesn't really use it; it's been sitting on his desk for the last week not having been touched once. They're extremely neat devices, still not sure if I need one though. I think for me the next bump up in resolution will probably seal the deal.
I can tell you if you need a tablet or not: you don't. No one does, except people who develop apps for them.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Splizwarf posted:

My Nook Tablet was $250 and I've been shocked at how it's been rock loving solid without lag, bugs, stutter, and so on. I keep throwing it bigger and bigger jobs (tower defense games, streaming hi-res video, and the worst Android fucker I could think of: PYF Gif threads) and it gives no fucks; I assume this is because it's got enough RAM finally. I think that not enough RAM is the major failure point of Android. My phone already looked bad before I got the Nook but now, jesus, I hate it.

Is there a working ICS ROM for the Nook Tablet?

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Endless Mike posted:

I can tell you if you need a tablet or not: you don't. No one does, except people who develop apps for them.
You don't need a television either, but a lot of people sure seem to like them. :)

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Star War Sex Butt posted:

You don't need a television either, but a lot of people sure seem to like them. :)
I didn't say they weren't cool to have! But it's easy to determine whether you need one or not.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007

Jerk McJerkface posted:

No ICS yet. It has a locked bootloader so it took a month or two for the XDA/Modaco/etc guys to get into it but there's apparently a CM9 closed beta going at the moment and a CM7 port. I think the guys that might otherwise do a vanilla ICS are all involved in the CM9 project instead. I'm waiting for a CM9 that they think is good enough for the general public before I bother; given how hosed my phone's been for the last year, I wouldn't trade the solidity of my Nook for anything.

It's rooted and running Go Launcher so it's a reasonable Android experience (as opposed to the B&N version). My only gripe is that B&N for whatever reason disabled the ability to change keyboards, and I'm too lazy to use the workaround.

I have faith that ICS/CM9 will come, as far as I understand it the building blocks have all been found and devs like it, it's just a matter of waiting while they work. Which is okay because like I said, solid. The only thing I wish for is a bluetooth keyboard, although I think if I bothered to get Thumb Keyboard or Hacker's working, I might not care. Three months in and it's the most satisfying device I have ever owned, in 30 years of being a nerd.

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

And, of course as always, kill Hitler.

Endless Mike posted:

I just want a tablet to replace my laptop. I have a desktop PC for gaming or whatever, but when I'm at home 75% of my time is spent laying on my bed with my laptop on my stomach. I also tend to bring my laptop to my friend's house if we are just going to be hanging out watching TV or whatever. It'd be nice to have a small 7" tablet I could replace my laptop with. All I use my laptop for anyways is web browsing and playing Facebook Texas HoldEm.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
Have any retailers started preorders on the Asus Transformer Prime Infinity TF700t yet?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

clockworx
Oct 15, 2005
The Internet Whore made me buy this account

Jerk McJerkface posted:

The one described here sounds pretty functional - roughly on par with the NC build. (also there's a video review)

http://liliputing.com/2012/03/nook-tablet-gets-android-4-0-unofficially-with-cyanogenmod-9-alpha.html