Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kuai
May 25, 2004
I've been having troubles with twitch.tv and own3d.tv starting today. I cannot interact with the player at all. I assume its some anti ad-block technology :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
Is there a way to make a portable firefox installation and a normal installation run at the same time? I want to make a separate firefox profile for my wife because she keeps loving up my bookmarks and settings because she's confused by my extensions like noscript and ABP. I want to make her her own profile which she can use so that she doesn't have to worry about messing things up in my browser, and so she can manage her own bookmarks separately.

I thought I could achieve this by just making an installation of portable firefox on my system drive and making a shortcut on the desktop for her to use, but if you have either the regular or portable version of FF open, clicking on the shortcut for either just launches another window of the one that was already open. I'd like to be able to leave my own window minimized with any tabs I had open still in there and still have her be able to launch her copy. Is there any way to do this? She doesn't want to use Chrome or IE or Opera.

kapinga
Oct 12, 2005

I am not a number

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

Is there a way to make a portable firefox installation and a normal installation run at the same time? I want to make a separate firefox profile for my wife because she keeps loving up my bookmarks and settings because she's confused by my extensions like noscript and ABP. I want to make her her own profile which she can use so that she doesn't have to worry about messing things up in my browser, and so she can manage her own bookmarks separately.

I thought I could achieve this by just making an installation of portable firefox on my system drive and making a shortcut on the desktop for her to use, but if you have either the regular or portable version of FF open, clicking on the shortcut for either just launches another window of the one that was already open. I'd like to be able to leave my own window minimized with any tabs I had open still in there and still have her be able to launch her copy. Is there any way to do this? She doesn't want to use Chrome or IE or Opera.

Add the "-no-remote" argument to the shortcut/command that you're calling to run your wife's profile:
http://kb.mozillazine.org/Opening_a_new_instance_of_Firefox_with_another_profile

No need for a second install at all!

kapinga fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Mar 7, 2012

Busy Bee
Jul 13, 2004
Two questions:

1) I know there's an extension to be able to just have the bookmark icons on my toolbars instead of the image + title of the bookmark. Does anyone know that extension that does this?

2) I have two monitors and when I open youtube and maximize the screen on one monitor, my cursor disappears constantly in Firefox. Anyone know if there's an extension for this?

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Cursor vanishing is just Flash being terrible.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

kapinga posted:

Add the "-no-remote" argument to the shortcut/command that you're calling to run your wife's profile:
http://kb.mozillazine.org/Opening_a_new_instance_of_Firefox_with_another_profile

No need for a second install at all!

This is perfect,thanks!

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
So I've almost finally made the leap from Chrome to Firefox, but I was wondering if there's any extensions that people would recommend that I go for just to make things all nice and lovely?

Obviously the first extensions I installed was AdBlock, but there's a few other things I added to Chrome which I'd like to do in Firefox so I was hoping for the goon concensus for each one.

Mouse gestures - I couldn't live without these! I used them all the time in Opera and when I moved to Chrome I was at a loss until I installed them.

Quick posts to Twitter/Facebook - I see loads of cool extensions for fully-fledged social media clients, but all I really want is a little icon to click on in-line with the address bar to bring up a tiny popup for tweetin'/facebookin' a link to the page I'm currently on (preferably with the option to delete the link if I just want to post something without opening the website).

Being unable to close pinned tabs - I can't remember whether or not Opera could do this, but drat it'd be useful. I find myself closing stuff I want permanently open all the time!

If anyone can recommend good extensions for those, or anything else you think I'll find useful, that'd be awesome! :)

Dice Dice Baby
Aug 30, 2004
I like "faggots"

pseudorandom name posted:

Cursor vanishing is just Flash being terrible.

I keep getting this from time to time. Goddamn flash is a pox upon mankind

Question Mark Mound posted:

If anyone can recommend good extensions for those, or anything else you think I'll find useful, that'd be awesome! :)

Adblock Plus - it's a given
https://www.mousegestures.org - my favorite mouse gestures extension (install the nightly)

A piece of advice that was useful to me: mind your extensions. Really only get what you need. Extensions are awesome but getting carried away and having a profile filled to the brim with extensions, especially some that are only used from time to time, can slow down your browser all the time.

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home
Tab Mix Plus can protect tabs, and let you spergingly tweak them to your heart's consent
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/tab-mix-plus

I haven't used gestures in years but looks like FireGestures is still the popular choice
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/firegestures/

For sharing I use Firefox Share straight from Mozilla Labs
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/firefox-share-alpha/

If you like the page advancing from Opera try Space Next
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/space-next/

For privacy/security check out Beef Taco
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/beef-taco-targeted-advertising/
and
HTTPS Everywhere
https://www.eff.org/https-everywhere

If you have an Android device, FoxToPhone can send links/text to it like Chrome does
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/foxtophone/

Chilled Milk fucked around with this message at 12:56 on Mar 8, 2012

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
^^^ Great list of extensions, thanks! :)
Isn't Firefox Share the one that'll bookmark every link you share? Plus I think I gave it a quick go yesterday and it didn't let me remove a link from a tweet if I felt like changing the URL or just posting a tweet without a link. Not a huge deal, I guess.

Dice Dice Baby posted:

I keep getting this from time to time. Goddamn flash is a pox upon mankind

Adblock Plus - it's a given
https://www.mousegestures.org - my favorite mouse gestures extension (install the nightly)

A piece of advice that was useful to me: mind your extensions. Really only get what you need. Extensions are awesome but getting carried away and having a profile filled to the brim with extensions, especially some that are only used from time to time, can slow down your browser all the time.
Yeah I don't really plan on having much, I just fancy having adblock, mouse gestures and quick tweet/facebook as my necessary ones. Anything else will be purely optional depending on how handy I find it vs how much it slows stuff down.

edit: Oh, one more thing I noticed that I couldn't find built-in. Being able to auto-complete forms on websites asking for my name/address was awesome in Opera and Chrome.

Question Mark Mound fucked around with this message at 12:58 on Mar 8, 2012

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home

^^^ Great list of extensions, thanks! :)
Isn't Firefox Share the one that'll bookmark every link you share? Plus I think I gave it a quick go yesterday and it didn't let me remove a link from a tweet if I felt like changing the URL or just posting a tweet without a link. Not a huge deal, I guess.

Yeah I don't really plan on having much, I just fancy having adblock, mouse gestures and quick tweet/facebook as my necessary ones. Anything else will be purely optional depending on how handy I find it vs how much it slows stuff down.

edit: Oh, one more thing I noticed that I couldn't find built-in. Being able to auto-complete forms on websites asking for my name/address was awesome in Opera and Chrome.
Yeah Share has some quirks, just none that ever bothered me from finding a replacement, since it's lightweight and generally works well enough.

Autofill forms:
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/autofill-forms/

Automatic backup/recovery of form text:
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/lazarus-form-recovery/

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla

The Milkman posted:

Yeah Share has some quirks, just none that ever bothered me from finding a replacement, since it's lightweight and generally works well enough.

Autofill forms:
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/autofill-forms/

Automatic backup/recovery of form text:
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/lazarus-form-recovery/
Those look like they should do the trick, thanks!

I might just go with Share and try to get used to it.

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef
Here's some of what I'm running:

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla

Toast Museum posted:

• Imgur Uploader - "upload image," "upload screenshot," and "upload partial screenshot" context menu items
YES! The imgur thing is something I'll use a lot. Thanks!

Valtis
Sep 21, 2009
You should also consider NoScript; it's a plugin that increases you browser safety by blocking any javascript you haven't explicitly allowed and by adding XSS and clickjacking protection.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
If you want to customize the look of the browser a bit, I really love Stratiform. You can add transparency to all of the bars on top, customize the look of buttons and tabs, make the Firefox button smaller and different colors, and more.

Turd Eater
May 11, 2003

Kuai posted:

I've been having troubles with twitch.tv and own3d.tv starting today. I cannot interact with the player at all. I assume its some anti ad-block technology :smith:

I had to tick these check boxes for those streams to work again.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
Well this is annoying. I shut off my work PC that I was playing about with Firefox in and came home, now it can't sync with my bookmarks and stuff unless I get a key from my work PC - logging into my Sync account with my username/password isn't enough?

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!
Anyone noticed a trend lately where firefox is NOT removing cookies like it's supposed to?

Specifically, when I closed FF (and there was that 10 second period where it's busy still running in the background) and reopened it, it kept all my logins. About a week or two ago I'd have to relogin to everything as usual. No changes have been made to the cookie settings or security, it just happened on its own, and it's slightly odd that everything is staying logged in.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

AutoPager, QuickTranslator, Lazarus Form Recovery are three excellent addons I haven't seen mentioned, they each do pretty much what they say (too lazy to link them, sorry, just right click Google them).

Security nerds will also love RequestPolicy.

neamp
Jun 24, 2003
Is it just me or is Firefox using way too much CPU resources now while idling?
Just having the SA forums open with a few tabs in the background now uses up 3% of my processor. I thought it might be Javascript running in the background somewhere but disabling it does not change anything.
The resources used vary with the website that's open, but worst I have found yet was a page with just one big image and a menu bar (high res scanned book) where it used a constant 8% just sitting there, me not even touching it.
I just now tested opening the same page in IE, Chrome and Firefox (not at the same time), just letting it sit there for a few minutes doing nothing. The average CPU load for IE and Chrome was < 0.10%, Firefox meanwhile sat at 6.1%. What the hell?
On a desktop that might not mean much beside a slightly warmer room and higher electricity bill, but hope you are not running a laptop from the battery, I guess.

Fangs404
Dec 20, 2004

I time bomb.

neamp posted:

Is it just me or is Firefox using way too much CPU resources now while idling?
Just having the SA forums open with a few tabs in the background now uses up 3% of my processor. I thought it might be Javascript running in the background somewhere but disabling it does not change anything.
The resources used vary with the website that's open, but worst I have found yet was a page with just one big image and a menu bar (high res scanned book) where it used a constant 8% just sitting there, me not even touching it.
I just now tested opening the same page in IE, Chrome and Firefox (not at the same time), just letting it sit there for a few minutes doing nothing. The average CPU load for IE and Chrome was < 0.10%, Firefox meanwhile sat at 6.1%. What the hell?
On a desktop that might not mean much beside a slightly warmer room and higher electricity bill, but hope you are not running a laptop from the battery, I guess.

I have 5 tabs open (2 of which are Gmail and Facebook which constantly have JS stuff running), and I'm seeing 0% with it jumping up to 1% or 2% every 5 or 10 seconds. That can't seriously affect battery life or an electricity bill or CPU temperature, though. I think you're over-analyzing it.

dwazegek
Feb 11, 2005

WE CAN USE THIS :byodood:

Mister Roboto posted:

Anyone noticed a trend lately where firefox is NOT removing cookies like it's supposed to?

Specifically, when I closed FF (and there was that 10 second period where it's busy still running in the background) and reopened it, it kept all my logins. About a week or two ago I'd have to relogin to everything as usual. No changes have been made to the cookie settings or security, it just happened on its own, and it's slightly odd that everything is staying logged in.

If you're talking about session cookies, then yes. Occasionally firefox gets into a state where its process doesn't exit after all windows have been closed, so if I reopen it, it resumes the session I had, and all session cookies are preserved. Killing the process once fixes it.

It is pretty rare though, it's only happened to me once or twice. Because I can't reproduce it, I haven't been able to narrow it down to a plugin or extension.

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!

dwazegek posted:

If you're talking about session cookies, then yes. Occasionally firefox gets into a state where its process doesn't exit after all windows have been closed, so if I reopen it, it resumes the session I had, and all session cookies are preserved. Killing the process once fixes it.

It is pretty rare though, it's only happened to me once or twice. Because I can't reproduce it, I haven't been able to narrow it down to a plugin or extension.

It's like that, yes, except that the session cookies are NEVER erased.

Before, they used to be.

I haven't changed any extensions or plugins lately.

I'm gonna delete/reinstall and see what happens.

neamp
Jun 24, 2003

Fangs404 posted:

I have 5 tabs open (2 of which are Gmail and Facebook which constantly have JS stuff running), and I'm seeing 0% with it jumping up to 1% or 2% every 5 or 10 seconds. That can't seriously affect battery life or an electricity bill or CPU temperature, though. I think you're over-analyzing it.

I don't know, I just tried it again on a laptop, new Profile in Firefox only one tab open with the offending site. Left it open a few minutes, average (60 seconds) CPU load was 7,4%, not spikes every few seconds but constant load. Max CPU frequency was also staying up close to 50%.
For comparison, Chrome settled at <0.10% average CPU usage, frequency also remained down at 31%.
IE did a lot worse than when I tried it on my desktop though, also using up a constant 3%, which wasn't enough to significantly step up the CPU frequency though, which stayed at 33% max.
It has nothing to do with Javascript, disabling it gets the same results, I think it might have to do with the number and size of images on a page. On a very large page without images I tried just now, even with 10 other tabs on in the background FF uses only half a percent of CPU capacity, but if I switch to some other tab with images it immediately goes up to a few percent and stays there.
I know I'm :spergin: here a bit, but it annoys me, because I feel Firefox used to be a whole lot less CPU hungry and Chrome shows how much better you can do.

gently caress, I just tried the forum's smiley page and it pretty much maxes out a core and makes Firefox totally unresponsive, if you right-click the page the menu is VERY laggy.
Meanwhile Chrome stays perfectly responsive. IE performs even better than Chrome here, using just 3% of the CPU and being totally lag-free.
Goddamnit, Firefox, what happend? You used to be cool...

midnightclimax
Dec 3, 2011

by XyloJW
Is it possible to zoom the whole page (including embedded video players) like in Opera or Chrome?

Firefox has lots of nice addons, but I never figured that one out. (Something in the preferences maybe?)

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Ctrl+ and Ctrl-

midnightclimax
Dec 3, 2011

by XyloJW

Ctrl+ and Ctrl-

Nope. Text gets bigger, youtube embed stays the same.

Dice Dice Baby
Aug 30, 2004
I like "faggots"

Ctrl+ and Ctrl-

or Ctrl + MouseWheel

Scrolling up zooms in, scrolling down zooms out

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

Ctrl+ and Ctrl-

Or ctrl + wheelup or wheeldown

Edit: :argh:

Also, go to view -> zoom -> uncheck "zoom text only"

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Bring up the full menu bar if it isn't there already, and uncheck View -> Zoom -> Zoom Text Only.

midnightclimax
Dec 3, 2011

by XyloJW

Bring up the full menu bar if it isn't there already, and uncheck View -> Zoom -> Zoom Text Only.

Wow. Yeah, that was it. Thanks a ton!

(Is that enabled per default? That sucks.)

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home

neamp posted:

I don't know, I just tried it again on a laptop, new Profile in Firefox only one tab open with the offending site. Left it open a few minutes, average (60 seconds) CPU load was 7,4%, not spikes every few seconds but constant load. Max CPU frequency was also staying up close to 50%.
For comparison, Chrome settled at <0.10% average CPU usage, frequency also remained down at 31%.
IE did a lot worse than when I tried it on my desktop though, also using up a constant 3%, which wasn't enough to significantly step up the CPU frequency though, which stayed at 33% max.
It has nothing to do with Javascript, disabling it gets the same results, I think it might have to do with the number and size of images on a page. On a very large page without images I tried just now, even with 10 other tabs on in the background FF uses only half a percent of CPU capacity, but if I switch to some other tab with images it immediately goes up to a few percent and stays there.
I know I'm :spergin: here a bit, but it annoys me, because I feel Firefox used to be a whole lot less CPU hungry and Chrome shows how much better you can do.

gently caress, I just tried the forum's smiley page and it pretty much maxes out a core and makes Firefox totally unresponsive, if you right-click the page the menu is VERY laggy.
Meanwhile Chrome stays perfectly responsive. IE performs even better than Chrome here, using just 3% of the CPU and being totally lag-free.
Goddamnit, Firefox, what happend? You used to be cool...

My experience has been the opposite, with Chrome absorbing any and all resources it could and Firefox being relatively tame. Just a single animated gif in Chrome would kick the laptop fans on and scrolling becomes a herculean task.

Of course if you want the slimmest browser Opera is over yonder.

Selavi
Jan 1, 2010
Is there a way to change the icon for bookmarks of RSS feeds? I have a few feeds in my toolbar and would like if it showed the site icon.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

Mouse gestures - I couldn't live without these! I used them all the time in Opera and when I moved to Chrome I was at a loss until I installed them.

I personally use All-in-One Gestures. I too am a lover of simple gestures. gently caress going all the way to toolbar or having to aim the mouse at a context menu.
However, another seemingly unrelated reason I recommend this addon is because it fixes a personal point about non-IE browser I absolutely hate.
Click the middle mouse button, get that round marker that lets you scroll by moving the mouse (I use this often). Now, how do you cancel it? Do you click? That's no good, because now you have to worry what's under the cursor. Do you mouse wheel? By default that just scrolls some more.
Installing All-in-One Gestures magically fixes this, and if you notch the mousewheel one, it removes the scrolling point, without moving the page, just like it does in IE. It drives me nuts to use a browser that works any other way.

Being unable to close pinned tabs - I can't remember whether or not Opera could do this, but drat it'd be useful. I find myself closing stuff I want permanently open all the time!

Anything you want to do with tabs? Always get Tax Mix Plus. I'm pretty sure you can do what you want with it, and no doubt a lot more.

HalloKitty fucked around with this message at 11:49 on Mar 13, 2012

astral
Apr 26, 2004

HalloKitty posted:

However, another seemingly unrelated reason I recommend this addon is because it fixes a personal point about non-IE browser I absolutely hate.
Click the middle mouse button, get that round marker that lets you scroll by moving the mouse (I use this often). Now, how do you cancel it? Do you click? That's no good, because now you have to worry what's under the cursor. Do you mouse wheel? By default that just scrolls some more.
Installing All-in-One Gestures magically fixes this, and if you notch the mousewheel one, it removes the scrolling point, without moving the page, just like it does in IE. It drives me nuts to use a browser that works any other way.

I just click the middle mouse button again, which causes no problems whatsoever.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

astral posted:

I just click the middle mouse button again, which causes no problems whatsoever.

I could swear I tried this at one time, but maybe I was just used to ending scrolling with a flick of the wheel so much that that's what I wanted. Either way, it's not really important to most, and I understand the complaint looks pretty ridiculous

HalloKitty fucked around with this message at 12:47 on Mar 13, 2012

astral
Apr 26, 2004

HalloKitty posted:

I could swear I tried this at one time, but maybe I was just used to ending scrolling with a flick of the wheel so much that that's what I wanted. Either way, it's not really important to most, and I understand the complaint looks pretty ridiculous

Aw, it doesn't look ridiculous. Everyone's got their own preferences for browsing; I'm just happy to see that someone else uses autoscroll. From the bugs that occasionally do plague it in various Firefox builds, like certain page elements not scrolling at the same rate/time as others, I was afraid it was a dying thing. :)

Dice Dice Baby
Aug 30, 2004
I like "faggots"

HalloKitty posted:

Does AIO gestures support wheel gestures? (i.e. holding RMB and scolling switches tabs)

I love MOuse Gestures Redox but the developer's always threatening to abandon it :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Dice Dice Baby posted:

Does AIO gestures support wheel gestures? (i.e. holding RMB and scolling switches tabs)

It can do scrolling through tabs this way, or scrolling through page history, depending on what you want. I also often use the mousewheel scrolling on the tab bar, just toss my mouse to the top of the screen and roll the wheel to rummage through, although I think Tab Mix Plus can probably do that too.

HalloKitty fucked around with this message at 13:40 on Mar 13, 2012