Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cp91886
Oct 26, 2005
The worst commercial on television is for Lunesta. A green glowing butterfly floats across the screen and back, a lady says "follow the wings" and the website address pops up. That's it.

Why the hell are prescription sleeping pills being advertised like a goddamn teaser trailer for The Dark Knight Rises or something?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Jubs posted:

Any commercial with a baby is so eye rolling. Especially the Capital One commercials with Jimmy Fallon and the baby.

The first one was hilarious, and it was entirely due to that kid's perfect timing. The new ones are the start of yet another run-this-poo poo-into-the-ground commercial mascot run.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

I give the baby a pass because he's basically tried to flat out murder Jimmy Fallon by throwing a fire extinguisher at his head.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

cp91886 posted:

The worst commercial on television is for Lunesta. A green glowing butterfly floats across the screen and back, a lady says "follow the wings" and the website address pops up. That's it.

Why the hell are prescription sleeping pills being advertised like a goddamn teaser trailer for The Dark Knight Rises or something?

It has to do with drug advertising laws. If you say what the drug is for, you have to list all the potential side effects and complications, and no one likes doing that. By now, almost everyone knows what Lunesta is, so they can cut back to ads jsut saying their name and a website, and no need to go into stuff like

"A small number of Lunesta patients experienced a psychotic break. If you have thoughts about murdering your family and raping your post-man, please see your doctor."

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

cp91886 posted:

As long as they don't mention the drug by name, in either VO or in text they don't have to list side effects and/or interaction warnings.

EDIT: drat that was fast son

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

DrBouvenstein posted:

It has to do with drug advertising laws. If you say what the drug is for, you have to list all the potential side effects and complications, and no one likes doing that. By now, almost everyone knows what Lunesta is, so they can cut back to ads jsut saying their name and a website, and no need to go into stuff like

"A small number of Lunesta patients experienced a psychotic break. If you have thoughts about murdering your family and raping your post-man, please see your doctor."

My favorite all-time side effect was for a medicine for restless leg syndrome of all things.

"If you experience any unusual gambling or sexual urges please consult your doctor." :stare:

Obeast
Aug 26, 2006
Õ_~ ANIME BABE LOVER 2000 ~_Õ
I'm sure it's been mentioned before since the ad has been on for a lot longer than it should be, but the one for Vonage with the couple who brought home their newborn baby, and the wife is complaining about their bundled phone bill being so expensive while the guy is thinking that she's talking about the baby as a "bundle" and that she wants to get rid of it before it gets too expensive. I don't know who thinks it's a funny commercial, because it's not and every time I see it, I keep wondering why they still air it. :psyduck:

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

100 Years in Iraq posted:

My favorite all-time side effect was for a medicine for restless leg syndrome of all things.

"If you experience any unusual gambling or sexual urges please consult your doctor." :stare:

Now I kind of want to take that drug.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Seriously that sounds like a great way to kill a weekend.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

DrBouvenstein posted:

Now I kind of want to take that drug.

Trust me if it's anything like my gabapentin abuse, you really won't know it happened until you're thinking about it the next day, and how out of character it was.

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Strength and speed, that's why you're a special agent.

Iron Crowned posted:

Trust me if it's anything like my gabapentin abuse, you really won't know it happened until you're thinking about it the next day, and how out of character it was.

Oh God you talked your rear end off all weekend didn't you? My dad got prescribed that and it was annoying beyond belief.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Basically just a baby in a trenchcoat.

I always like "may cause unusual dreams" for antidepressants (and yes I know that really happens).

I don't know if it's been mentioned or not, but I'm already getting sick of those weird Allstate commercials where they dub the usual announcer's voice over different actors mid-sentence. It's pointless and really weird when they could have accomplished the same thing by using the actors' real voices.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

jojoinnit posted:

Oh God you talked your rear end off all weekend didn't you? My dad got prescribed that and it was annoying beyond belief.

Yeah, if you were unlucky enough to talk to me I did, but it was nice, it shut off my self-consciousness, and I literally gave no fucks.

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

TODAY WAS THE SPECIAL SALE DAY!
Grimey Drawer
Adult Gummy Vitamins (ughhh) that inspire healthy competition: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ULV91ZKxFOY

SolarFire2
Oct 16, 2001

"You're awefully cute, but unfortunately for you, you're made of meat." - Meat And Sarcasm Guy!
Their ads don't appear to be on YouTube, but here in California we have a great anti-smoking ad that basically says, 'People smoking outside are KILLING YOUR BABY.'

I don't even smoke and I find these ads at best annoying and at worst insulting.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

vyst posted:

gently caress this rear end in a top hat trying to push me that gross looking arbys reuben. What a smug jerk

After seeing this commercials dozens of times I just now noticed that he has two different colored eyes.

PIckle Toes
Jan 13, 2012
There is a Charter commercial for high speed with a boy named Timothy that freaks me right out. I can't find it on Youtube.
Timothy looks like he just stepped out of "The Shining" to be addicted to the internet, and all the cats in the neighborhood suddenly go missing.

Bible Ian Black
Jul 16, 2009

I'M THE GUY
WHO SUCKS

PLUS I GOT
DEPRESSION

PIckle Toes posted:

There is a Charter commercial for high speed with a boy named Timothy that freaks me right out. I can't find it on Youtube.
Timothy looks like he just stepped out of "The Shining" to be addicted to the internet, and all the cats in the neighborhood suddenly go missing.

I want the dad to come in an just scream "TIMOTHY, SHUT THE gently caress UP" except it's supposed to be in the kid's head so I shall go wanting.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

PIckle Toes posted:

"It's not my bedroom. It's my headquarters."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fv19awMHks0

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

I think the SNL Chantix commercial sums this up nicely.

I had a friend on Chantix who told his girlfriend he needed to leave because he was getting super angry about something stupid and didn't know what he was going to do.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
So, MiO furries.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GCV4xUz9Ke8

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
MiO commercials in general are awful.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w-46gnKMMVo

I saw this earlier today.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Sash! posted:

Haribo made my curious how a gummy bear company could afford commercials. Evidently they have over two billion euros a year in revenue and are accused of using Jewish slave labor during the war.

Who knew there was that much money in gummy bears

Haribo Gummy Bears are awesome. Also, the ones in Europe taste differently than the US ones. They have a chewier, less sugary flavor. I have to smuggle as many as I can when I go to Germany.

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames
Haribo bears are best eaten after being in a fridge for about a half hour

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
I will also chime in and say that Haribo Gold Bears are a superior gummy bear to any and all other brands. I normally pick a bag of them up for a buck at a gas station; they're infinitely more affordable than any of the 5-6-7 dollar candy that movie theaters try to sell you.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Getting tired of the car commercial where the guy goes to sleep with "Mr Sandman" playing, and then cuts to some racetrack with crappy 80s music playing.

Tardcore
Jan 24, 2011

Not cool enough for the Spider-man club.

Rirse posted:

Getting tired of the car commercial where the guy goes to sleep with "Mr Sandman" playing, and then cuts to some racetrack with crappy 80s music playing.

The worst part was that the original airing played Mr.Sandman the entire run of the commercial.

VVVVV:I swear one version had the song play the entire time.:VVVV

Tardcore fucked around with this message at 06:37 on Mar 12, 2012

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

Tardcore posted:

The worst part was that the original airing played Mr.Sandman the entire run of the commercial.
The original airing was a Super Bowl commercial, it cut to Motley Crue when he turned on the engine.

I'm actually really annoyed by the recuts, because in its original format it had a decent gag -- dude busted out of his stereotypical dream and went and got his wife, which was nice. Now it's the much less clever "hey look a car and bikini girls" poo poo with no subversion.

Robnoxious
Feb 17, 2004

vyst posted:

Haribo Gummy Bears are awesome. Also, the ones in Europe taste differently than the US ones. They have a chewier, less sugary flavor. I have to smuggle as many as I can when I go to Germany.
gently caress Haribo bears. It's all about Haribo cherry coke bottle gummies.

squarerandom
Mar 24, 2007

Obviously you're not a golfer.
Guinness St. Patricks commercial. Every loving break I hear those stupid bagpipes and see the guy check out another guy bending over.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer
Speaking of Super Bowl commercials:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cpi2IAec9Ho

No, Fiat, gently caress you.

There is no way that car is equatable to that girl in any way. This is the only commercial on TV right now that gets me angry but I won't turn it because that woman is ridiculously hot.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

I was oddly impressed with the Abarth when I saw one in person.

However, if you have a passenger you don't have enough cargo space for a pizza. Seems like an oversight for an Italian car maker.

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~

Gonz posted:

I will also chime in and say that Haribo Gold Bears are a superior gummy bear to any and all other brands. I normally pick a bag of them up for a buck at a gas station; they're infinitely more affordable than any of the 5-6-7 dollar candy that movie theaters try to sell you.

Movie theater profit margins are all in the concessions, that's why everything is so ridiculously expensive when the exact same thing in a store is a quarter of the price.

Diondepp
Oct 10, 2011

SolarFire2 posted:

Their ads don't appear to be on YouTube, but here in California we have a great anti-smoking ad that basically says, 'People smoking outside are KILLING YOUR BABY.'

I don't even smoke and I find these ads at best annoying and at worst insulting.

Yes, you are an evil person for smoking in the comfort of your home when your neighbor might have an infant princess trying to sleep with the window open-
you're ruining the future of society just as your grandparents did to your mom, and look how messed up you are

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

MindlessHavok posted:

There is no way that car is equatable to that girl in any way. This is the only commercial on TV right now that gets me angry but I won't turn it because that woman is ridiculously hot.

I swear both Fiats I've seen advertised in the US look like the retarded love child of a Neon and a Beetle, and I own a Neon.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Okay the original Mio Energy Drink squirt thing wasn't bad and not worth mentioning here. But they have two new ads where it shows CGI furries talking while drinking this poo poo.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

Rirse posted:

Okay the original Mio Energy Drink squirt thing wasn't bad and not worth mentioning here. But they have two new ads where it shows CGI furries talking while drinking this poo poo.

No, the ads show CGI anthropomorphic animals talking while drinking that poo poo. A furry is someone who watches that commercial and :fap:

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Robnoxious posted:

gently caress Haribo bears. It's all about Haribo cherry coke bottle gummies.

This dude? This dude knows what the gently caress is up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Rirse posted:

The thing that confuses me about those commercials is that the animals are all hanging out in a bar type setting but they're drinking water with Mio drink mix.