Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Joe Mama
May 10, 2008

destructo posted:

I would never do that to mine but drat that is sweet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NinjaTech
Sep 30, 2003

do you have any PANTIES
Well I picked up the Racing Beat springs today. Still waiting on a guy to pick up my project car before I can get the shocks. I'm planning on doing at least one autocross while it's stock before changing the suspension though.

Sten Freak
Sep 10, 2008

Despite all of these shortcomings, the Sten still has a long track record of shooting people right in the face.
College Slice
Is it safe to leave the battery connected when using a float charger (cheap one linked in this thread a few pages back from HF)?

Joe Mama
May 10, 2008

Sten Freak posted:

Is it safe to leave the battery connected when using a float charger (cheap one linked in this thread a few pages back from HF)?

Yep, should be ok. We do it on half of our vehicles at work. If you plan on leaving the car alone for more than a month I'd disconnect it though.

obeyasia
Sep 21, 2004

Grimey Drawer
What's the latest on the next generation MX-5? I keep seeing "under a ton" and a FI 1.3L Skyactiv engine. I suppose it's way too early to hear power output numbers. I really like that Toyota/Subaru GT car, but I don't know if I can give up a convertible top altogether. So I hope Mazda will keep pace with that because it's really easy to want to compare them.

Blaise
Sep 10, 2003
Seriously I've been hearing about the ND for years with ZERO leaks.

oRenj9
Aug 3, 2004

Who loves oRenj soda?!?
College Slice
With Mazda's financial troubles, we might see the ND development pushed back for a while.

dema
Aug 13, 2006

Found this:

http://www.roadandtrack.com/auto-news/future-car-2014-mazda-mx-5

Rendering looks like a Pontiac to me. Meh.

More interested in the Subaru/Toyota at the moment. Though, I'm fine with my NC.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Got the Azenis mounted and alignment done to FM specs.....Wow what a difference, feels like a Miata should now :)

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010
I obtain sexual gratification from observing people being inflicted with violent head injuries

leica posted:

Got the Azenis mounted and alignment done to FM specs.....Wow what a difference, feels like a Miata should now :)

What are the FM specs and how do they change the car? My car is going in for a full alignment in a few days. It is a mk2 on standard suspension with 15" alloys.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
On a stock suspension car...

Front:
As much negative camber as you can get (driver side limited) (ex: -1.2)
0 toe
4-5 degrees of caster

Rear:
-.5 from the figure in the front (ex: if the fronts are at -1.2, do -1.7)
1/32 inch toe in per side

Blaise
Sep 10, 2003
Hi my name is Blaise and I have a problem.

'93 Turbo, '92 Sunburst, and now a '99. I don't even need the '99, but for $500 I couldn't pass it up.

dandaman
Dec 30, 2005

I'm looking for an OEM hardtop for a 1.6 spec Miata, would you fine goons know of any good resources?

I'm in Miami btw. Thanks!!

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010
I obtain sexual gratification from observing people being inflicted with violent head injuries

Phone posted:

Front:
0 toe
4-5 degrees of caster

Rear:

And how will this change how the car feels compared to factory settings?

Lusso
Jul 1, 2003

Blaise posted:

Hi my name is Blaise and I have a problem.

'93 Turbo, '92 Sunburst, and now a '99. I don't even need the '99, but for $500 I couldn't pass it up.

Haha, nice. What kind of shape is it in?

Blaise
Sep 10, 2003
It's from the thread where the guy had his miata hit-n-run. There's a chance it won't align after new control arms, in which case it will be parted out. I'm gonna give it a shot though.

Joe Mama
May 10, 2008

leica posted:

Exactly what I said when I test-drove mine before I bought it. My only other Miata experience was with a stock '91. They might as well be two different cars.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

willie_dee posted:

And how will this change how the car feels compared to factory settings?

The car will turn in much easier, and won't understeer as much. Due to the toe in, it isn't going to be dodgy on the freeway.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Seafoamed the Miata today with a new Seafoam "Spray". It has a long spray straw and a little doohicky that holds it in the throttle body under the intake tube. You hold the rpm's up a bit and let it rip, a lot safer than trying to suck it up through the brake booster line. Worked like a charm and had a nice smoke show :)

Applebees Appetizer fucked around with this message at 14:45 on Mar 14, 2012

Mr.AARP
Apr 20, 2010

I was born after Kurt Cobain died. Now you feel old.

I'm afraid to seafoam my car as my compression test readings on my 1.6 are: 205-210-215-210.

So either I have a metric ton of gunk built up in it or a previous owner shaved the head without telling another previous owner.

In other news, **** the stock header. Took me 5 hours to replace my motor mounts due to having that and a JRM45. It was all worth it though because the MazdaComp mounts are really that good.

Blaise
Sep 10, 2003

Phone posted:

Front:
0 toe
4-5 degrees of caster

Rear:

http://www.flyinmiata.com/tech/alignment.php

Why the difference? Interested because I'm getting ready to take my street miata in for an alignment.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
The front toe in keeps it straighter on the road at the expense of slower turn-in and some increased tire wear. I mean, the Flyin' Miata specs are pretty similar to what I said minus the toe in. Keep in mind that these specs are recommended for stock suspension cars.

Sadi
Jan 18, 2005
SC - Where there are more rednecks than people
Ive found what appears to me to be a pretty good deal on a miata being sold in my local SCCA. 95M with 48k miles, good roof and brand new looking interior. Asking price is 4.8k. Anything to look out for? Watching the market around here 94-95s go for around 3-3.5k with 100k+ miles.

Sadi fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Mar 14, 2012

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Maintenance. Find out when the timing belt and waterpump was replaced, also BUY THE poo poo OUT OF THAT CAR.

Sadi
Jan 18, 2005
Welp, situation changed a little bit. Turns out its a salvage title. On the other hand, he showed photos of the damage and they looked like a sub 5mph rear end impact. I also know the owner of the shop and people who worked at the shop where it was bought, repaired, and sold to the guy who is selling it now. They all say its super clean and have no idea how it was totaled. That makes me nervous on two fronts. One, how could the damage be so light and it be salvage titled, and two how hard would it be to get insured.
Here's a pic of the bumper before repair.
http://i44.tinypic.com/204mxs.png

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
Some places instantly salvage-title a car when it is stolen. A Carfax or something might turn up the reason why.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Insurance companies also love to prematurely assign hilariously low values to Miatas (especially the M-editions), seeing them at first glance as equivalent to a 20-year-old 323. My '99 had about $2k of damage on it and they wanted to total it at first. My sister-in-law's '95M has been wrecked a few times and every time the shop had to go to bat to ensure they didn't try to total it out.

Blaise
Sep 10, 2003
Either way it's not worth $4800 then...

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Maybe, maybe not. If the car's actual condition backs up the low miles and a solid repair / repaint, I wouldn't let it impact the value too much...since a lot of people would try to argue that a non-salvage 95M with that low miles would be worth closer to $6k.

Normal Person
Oct 14, 2011

IOwnCalculus posted:

Maybe, maybe not. If the car's actual condition backs up the low miles and a solid repair / repaint, I wouldn't let it impact the value too much...since a lot of people would try to argue that a non-salvage 95M with that low miles would be worth closer to $6k.

Eh, it certainly reduces the value quite a bit... Insurance carriers don't like to insure them, titles are sometimes more difficult to transfer, etc.

I'd definitely avoid a salvage title Miata unless it was an absolutely stellar deal. This is not.

meltie
Nov 9, 2003

Not a sodding fridge.
drat, my NA's overheating.

• I've replaced the shonky rad fan and checked that it comes on at the right temperature
  • I've used some radiator flush, and replaced the coolant with freshly mixed Mobil stuff
  • I've replaced the rad cap

The gauge is still reading 'hot' after tooling up and down the dual carriageway.

Time for a new radiator? The coolant in there *is* fairly horribly orange again after a few weeks...

Is there any appreciable difference between OEM or aftermarket when it comes to standard radiators?

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Thermostat? I'd try that first. And I don't know of Mobil making any sort of coolant...If it's orange that means there's probably just rust sitting in your cooling passages. Happened to me with a junkyard block that I could never flush out after 100 times running water through it.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
How many miles? When was the waterpump last replaced? Radiator? Coolant?

Blaise
Sep 10, 2003
My neighbor asked me today: "Is this another fixer upper?"

Yep. She hates everything I own (with wheels, anyway).

Not what your rear suspension should look like. Upper control arm is unbelievably bent, lower is tweaked, strut is Fd, and the spindle/lower CA bolt is so bent I can't separate the two. I also can't get the sway bar off the lower control arm :argh:

I have faith that a lot of this will clean up.

Ordered a new alternator, two control arms, and a rear shock for $152 shipped on ebay! :dance: Now I get to put it together, pay for an alignment, and hope it it's not Fd...

Blaise fucked around with this message at 03:51 on Mar 15, 2012

Normal Person
Oct 14, 2011

Blaise posted:

:words:

Looks like the rear mount for the upper is tweaked.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

IOwnCalculus posted:

I sold my 95m for 10k with more miles than that. I was gonna say it's a steal before the rebuilt title. It's kind of a shame because it ruins the car, if it was a regular Miata it wouldn't be a big deal.

I would say if you just want to drive it, make a lower offer. If you're looking for a 95m to baby and worry about keep looking.

Sadi
Jan 18, 2005

leica posted:

I sold my 95m for 10k with more miles than that. I was gonna say it's a steal before the rebuilt title. It's kind of a shame because it ruins the car, if it was a regular Miata it wouldn't be a big deal.

I would say if you just want to drive it, make a lower offer. If you're looking for a 95m to baby and worry about keep looking.
Yeah, that's about where I'm at.I'm going to look at it and make an offer if it all checks out. I drive cars till they drop so resale price isn't a big deal to me. It'll eventually be a toy car any way, dd until I get out of grad school though.

Blaise
Sep 10, 2003
Amazing what a little rubbing compound can do..

Before:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v89/meblaise/6f63334d.jpg

After:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v89/meblaise/6b765619.jpg

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

Holy crap that cleaned up nicely.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lusso
Jul 1, 2003

Yeah it did. That's awesome.