Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Civil posted:

Did later rounds of the Vibrant fix the lag/GPS issues?
To my understanding the software problems with the GSM SGS GPS have never been totally ironed out. I'm not certain about the hardware issues the Vibrant was supposed to have.

Civil posted:

I would have steered people to the 4G just because of that.
But not a Nexus S? By the time the SGS 4G was released, the Nexus S had been selling through Best Buy, even eligible for T-Mo subsidized upgrades, for two months.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Civil
Apr 21, 2003

Do you see this? This means "Have a nice day".

ExcessBLarg! posted:

But not a Nexus S? By the time the SGS 4G was released, the Nexus S had been selling through Best Buy, even eligible for T-Mo subsidized upgrades, for two months.

I never knew what channels it was sold through. But yeah, Nexus phones are better.

b0nes
Sep 11, 2001
I have a weird bug on my Rooted Vibrant. I was running ICS Passion and decided to go back to stock. Last time I went back to stock I encountered the same bug. First Google wouldn't recognize my phone on the market. After fooling around now it is recognized. Now I can download and install Clockworkmod Premium(the key) but you also need to install the free version. At play.google.com it tells me that the free version isn't compatible with my phone, even though the premium version is installed. On my phone I can't find the app to install, only the license key. How will I install Clockwork?

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

b0nes posted:

I have a weird bug on my Rooted Vibrant. I was running ICS Passion and decided to go back to stock. Last time I went back to stock I encountered the same bug. First Google wouldn't recognize my phone on the market. After fooling around now it is recognized. Now I can download and install Clockworkmod Premium(the key) but you also need to install the free version. At play.google.com it tells me that the free version isn't compatible with my phone, even though the premium version is installed. On my phone I can't find the app to install, only the license key. How will I install Clockwork?
What is "Clockworkmod Premium", are you talking about ROM Manager? There's a link to the APK here:
http://www.clockworkmod.com/rommanager

Alternatively you can flash ClockwordMod Recovery manually using adb/fastboot/whatever the easiest way to do it for your phone is.

woodhead
Jan 29, 2008
try harder next time.
So once when I was drunk I accidentally deleted a folder full of pictures on my Galaxy Nexus instead of a single picture. Normally this wouldn't be a huge deal as I could mount the storage and use Recuva or something. GNex can't mount the storage, only PTP or MTP mode as far as I can tell. Is there any way to get the data back?

I'm rooted, GSM version. Thanks!

i like tacos
Mar 26, 2010

Ask me about being a liar who doesn't actually like tacos and is a disagreeable asshole

Fuzz posted:

Yeah, but are you using the Eyeballer builds or the Samiam ones, that was my question... Any thoughts on which is better?

I use Eyeballer's build because Samiam's build doesn't have the hardware acceleration kernel. At least last I check it didn't. Eyeballer's modified build is pretty stable and I haven't had a SoD in a month.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

woodhead posted:

So once when I was drunk I accidentally deleted a folder full of pictures on my Galaxy Nexus instead of a single picture. Normally this wouldn't be a huge deal as I could mount the storage and use Recuva or something. GNex can't mount the storage, only PTP or MTP mode as far as I can tell. Is there any way to get the data back?

I'm rooted, GSM version. Thanks!

Not that I know of, but if you use Dropbox, the newest beta has camera upload, so it'll automatically backup all your pics to your dropbox in case that happens again.

woodhead
Jan 29, 2008
try harder next time.

big mean giraffe posted:

Not that I know of, but if you use Dropbox, the newest beta has camera upload, so it'll automatically backup all your pics to your dropbox in case that happens again.

Hah, yea I even have that set up, but only to update sync wifi and I deleted it prior to coming home and getting back on any wifi. Sweet moves. Same deal with G+.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!
Still running the CM9 nightlies on the Nexus S. I haven't had a reboot, FC or hard lock in weeks. It's really weird having nothing to complain about. Someone stop me before I try booting my old G2x. :v:

900ftjesus
Aug 10, 2003

Maker Of Shoes posted:

Still running the CM9 nightlies on the Nexus S. I haven't had a reboot, FC or hard lock in weeks. It's really weird having nothing to complain about. Someone stop me before I try booting my old G2x. :v:

You want a used Moment instead?

buttchugging adderall
May 7, 2007

COME GET SOME

900ftjesus posted:

Hey the Moment was a really really atrocious phone that I wish I never bought.

Anybody else here have an epic 4g touch? Trying to find the best ROM to currently run.

Kynetx
Jan 8, 2003

Full of ignorant tribalism. Kinda sad.

Stumpalitious posted:

Hey the Moment was a really really atrocious phone that I wish I never bought.

Anybody else here have an epic 4g touch? Trying to find the best ROM to currently run.

IME the best ROM is the official Sprint ROM with the shitware removed via Titanium Backup. The factory builds have all been pretty good to me.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
Being a bit behind the times, I'm still rocking an Evo 4G.

I'm running CM7 right now...is there anything better I should switch to? Don't get my upgrade discount until July...and will that even work for the GNex? I remember old Nexuses not qualifying for upgrades, but has that changed?

i like tacos
Mar 26, 2010

Ask me about being a liar who doesn't actually like tacos and is a disagreeable asshole

Maker Of Shoes posted:

Are you having awful battery life? I'm getting this really horrible battery life with my Nexus S. I have all the settings turned to the lowest so I don't know why it's just destroying my battery life.

vote_no
Nov 22, 2005

The rush is on.
I've found on my Galaxy Nexus that the cm9 nightlies have poor battery life compared to stock 4.0.4, which to be fair was noticeably better than 4.0.3 and 4.0.2. Still worth it, though.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

i like tacos posted:

Are you having awful battery life? I'm getting this really horrible battery life with my Nexus S. I have all the settings turned to the lowest so I don't know why it's just destroying my battery life.

Use better battery stats and find out what's causing a partial wakelock. You also have a lot of awake and screen on time. If it's a 4G, at least on mine, I had to disable the dial pad touch tones and ui sounds and lock screen sounds in settings, for some reason they create a wakelock.

thisdude23
Jul 10, 2001

So take me back, back to better days
Cause this time between is wasting me away

DrBouvenstein posted:

Being a bit behind the times, I'm still rocking an Evo 4G.

I'm running CM7 right now...is there anything better I should switch to? Don't get my upgrade discount until July...and will that even work for the GNex? I remember old Nexuses not qualifying for upgrades, but has that changed?

This is where I stand too. I currently use MIUI but wanted to know if anything out there was more updated.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

vote_no posted:

I've found on my Galaxy Nexus that the cm9 nightlies have poor battery life compared to stock 4.0.4, which to be fair was noticeably better than 4.0.3 and 4.0.2. Still worth it, though.

Yeah, I've noticed that too. I'm thinking of going back to stock 4.0.4 and waiting for a stable RC of CM9. How is AOKP? I hear that's pretty good. Honestly, I really don't want to screw with my phone much, but I want the notification toggle widgets. There's no way to get that with a stock/unrooted GSM GNex, right?

Alucard
Mar 11, 2002
Pillbug

thisdude23 posted:

This is where I stand too. I currently use MIUI but wanted to know if anything out there was more updated.
I'm still rocking Fresh Evo 4.3.3, it has been a much better experience for me (had trouble with Skype and GTalk video using the various iterations of CM7) but I also have ADWLauncher EX so the included launcher in CM7 isn't much of a bonus to me. Most of the tweaks that CM7 allows aren't much of a bonus either considering I use Tasker for all my context-specific stuff.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

Jerk McJerkface posted:

Yeah, I've noticed that too. I'm thinking of going back to stock 4.0.4 and waiting for a stable RC of CM9. How is AOKP? I hear that's pretty good. Honestly, I really don't want to screw with my phone much, but I want the notification toggle widgets. There's no way to get that with a stock/unrooted GSM GNex, right?
I do it with Widgetsoid

There's an option to force it to the top, but it will fight other things like downloads that want to be on top and spaz out.

Codiusprime
Mar 17, 2006

Jerk McJerkface posted:

I think you can get an app called widgetsoid to do something similar but when it came down to it for me it was easier to just install a custom rom.

Efb

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Codiusprime posted:

I think you can get an app called widgetsoid to do something similar but when it came down to it for me it was easier to just install a custom rom.

Efb

Does Widgetsoid requite root? Looks like it doesn't. I may just flash back to stock and leave my phone alone.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

Jerk McJerkface posted:

Does Widgetsoid requite root? Looks like it doesn't. I may just flash back to stock and leave my phone alone.

There are certain extra things it can do with root, but to get it in the bar you just have to turn on the service, which it will help you do.

The only things I want that I don't get from stock are a vertically scrolling drawer and swipe up/down actions on the desktop. Apex launcher solves both of these, but homescreen scrolling is really jerky. I imagine that can be fixed since the default launcher and Nova launcher are always smooth. Once it's fixed I can switch and be happy.

Codiusprime
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor rear end in a top hat posted:

There are certain extra things it can do with root, but to get it in the bar you just have to turn on the service, which it will help you do.

The only things I want that I don't get from stock are a vertically scrolling drawer and swipe up/down actions on the desktop. Apex launcher solves both of these, but homescreen scrolling is really jerky. I imagine that can be fixed since the default launcher and Nova launcher are always smooth. Once it's fixed I can switch and be happy.

Glad I'm not the only one that noticed Apex was super janky when it came to swiping through the homescreens. Lag is not something I'm accustomed to on this phone so it was jarring.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Doctor rear end in a top hat posted:

I may go back to stock ROM then, if battery life is better than CM9. The CM9 life is wierd. The battery will last all night, but then in the day it will go down 15% an hour with light usage.

Like just now, last night my phone at at 53% battery, I went to bed with out plugging it in, and then woke up eight hours later, it was at 40%. This morning, from 6am-9am it went from 40% to 11%.

It's been plugged in for an hour, and it's back up to 60%. I'm not using a Samsung battery, I'm using an aftermarket one, maybe that's the issue. I have the sammy battery here, let me put it back in.

Super-NintendoUser fucked around with this message at 16:01 on Mar 13, 2012

FACKER
Jan 2, 2005

Codiusprime posted:

Glad I'm not the only one that noticed Apex was super janky when it came to swiping through the homescreens. Lag is not something I'm accustomed to on this phone so it was jarring.

After I updated my ROM one time, mine also became super janky on the homescreens. It took me a little bit to discover that it was because the setting for scrolling wallpaper was set to always, including live wallpapers, instead of only static image wallpapers like it always was in the past. Check that you didnt have a live wallpaper that scrolled when switching homescreens.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

i like tacos posted:

Battery life is pretty good. A solid 24 hours with about 4ish hours of screen on time. Also, your signal looks awful.

Civil
Apr 21, 2003

Do you see this? This means "Have a nice day".
Too bad there's no working android option for the playbook. It's the new touchpad, now that RIM has figured out that no one wants it. 64GB version for $200.

http://slickdeals.net/permadeal/70766/ebay.com-64gb-blackberry-playbook-7-wifi-tablet

e: nm, sold out, but they keep popping up on fire sale every week or two.

thebushcommander
Apr 16, 2004
HAY
GUYS
MAKE
ME A
FUNNY,
I'M TOO
STUPID
TO DO
IT BY
MYSELF
So my GSM GNex arrived today. I guess the first thing I should do is root eh? Couple questions, since it's been awhile.

I don't really plan on installing a custom rom any time soon, until there are some good stable ones. I was going to use the Galaxy Nexus Toolkit for 1 button unlock/root etc. There are some apps I might like to install that require root.

Does this mess with the stock rom at all? I realize that after installing CWM I won't be able to go through the official OTA upgrade process and will need to manually update, which isn't a problem.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

900ftjesus posted:

You haven't set it on fire or shot it yet? :stare:

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

thebushcommander posted:

I don't really plan on installing a custom rom any time soon, until there are some good stable ones. I was going to use the Galaxy Nexus Toolkit for 1 button unlock/root etc. There are some apps I might like to install that require root.

Does this mess with the stock rom at all? I realize that after installing CWM I won't be able to go through the official OTA upgrade process and will need to manually update, which isn't a problem.
If you just root it then you'll have the stock ROM with root and you can carry on like that. There's no requirement to flash an aftermarktet ROM.

Having said that, most of the GNex ROMs are pretty much as stable as stock since they are generally 99% the same as stock anyway. AOKP has hard reset on me very occasionally (once every couple of weeks or so) but people have reported that on stock too.

Tunga fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Mar 13, 2012

thebushcommander
Apr 16, 2004
HAY
GUYS
MAKE
ME A
FUNNY,
I'M TOO
STUPID
TO DO
IT BY
MYSELF

Tunga posted:

If you just root it then you'll have the stock ROM with root and you can carry on like that. There's no requirement to flash an aftermarktet ROM.

Having said that, most of the GNex ROMs are pretty much as stable as stock since they are generally 99% the same as stock anyway. AOKP has hard reset on me very occasionally (once every couple of weeks or so) but people have reported that on stock too.

What are the advantages of, say, AOKP if it's 99% stock anyway? Wouldn't those be more for a VZW GNex for things like wifi tethering or is there some value to GSM owners as well?

I'm going to root it anyway just so I can get it out of the way before I install anything on the phone or get it setup the way I want. I learned that lesson with the Nexus One.

Also just in case a get one with that Samsung off build that doesn't get OTA google updates so I can install those when they release would be nice.

thebushcommander fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Mar 13, 2012

Ciabatta
Aug 20, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

thebushcommander posted:

What are the advantages of, say, AOKP if it's 99% stock anyway? Wouldn't those be more for a VZW GNex for things like wifi tethering or is there some value to GSM owners as well?

Lots more options for things like the notification bar, pulldown toggles, customizable softkeys, lockscreen options/shortcuts, etc. I wouldn't say it is 99% stock, it's more like stock + lots of options. In terms of visuals and themes, it is just like stock.

Vin BioEthanol
Jan 18, 2002

by Ralp

Ciabatta posted:

Lots more options for things like the notification bar, pulldown toggles, customizable softkeys, lockscreen options/shortcuts, etc. I wouldn't say it is 99% stock, it's more like stock + lots of options. In terms of visuals and themes, it is just like stock.

Some stuff even cooler than CM. I can't remember it all, I'm back on cm7 now. The dev of my phone's ics rom is kinda switching back and forth between a release using aokp and another using cm9 parts.

AOKP has pink pony brony poo poo in it though. :argh:

Codiusprime
Mar 17, 2006
I found the latest release of AOKP to be less than stellar. Not sure if it was just me or what but I'm running RC0 CM9 and it's very nice so far.

Edit: Looks like it's actually just another nightly, seems it was labeled RC0 by mistake. Still running well though.

Codiusprime fucked around with this message at 19:15 on Mar 13, 2012

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

i like tacos posted:

Ive been running the latest stable CM9 alpha (ie not nightlies) and my battery life is still 36 hours or so with moderate use.

Only complaint I have is that there's no lock screen customization yet and my call blocking app seems crash happy.

Codiusprime
Mar 17, 2006

IRQ posted:

Ive been running the latest stable CM9 alpha (ie not nightlies) and my battery life is still 36 hours or so with moderate use.

Only complaint I have is that there's no lock screen customization yet and my call blocking app seems crash happy.

I wasn't aware that the Alpha was released, I thought it was all nightlys. Mind pointing me in the direction of the Alpha?

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Codiusprime posted:

I wasn't aware that the Alpha was released, I thought it was all nightlys. Mind pointing me in the direction of the Alpha?

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1403247

At least they say it's basically an alpha, with XDA who really knows. It's been perfectly fine for me anyway.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Codiusprime posted:

Edit: Looks like it's actually just another nightly, seems it was labeled RC0 by mistake. Still running well though.
RCO is the version that's appended by default to CM9 builds, in absence of NIGHTLY, SNAPSHOT, or another designator. Has nothing to do with an actual RC0. :)

IRQ posted:

At least they say it's basically an alpha, with XDA who really knows.
CM device maintainers are generally releasing CM9 "alpha" or "beta" builds as appropriate, but they're essentially the same thing as a nightly. The difference is that a device-maintainer build is usually tested and vetted to some degree (as opposed to a random nightly build), and may contain not-yet-commited, device-specific bug fixes.

Also burnsra is cool, he's the CM NS4G device maintainer so builds posted by him should be thought of as having greater legitimacy than your typical xda kang.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

i like tacos
Mar 26, 2010

Maker Of Shoes posted:

Battery life is pretty good. A solid 24 hours with about 4ish hours of screen on time. Also, your signal looks awful.

Yeah doesn't help that my class is in the basement of the school. I thought that was fine as long as you had data turned off and were connected to wifi. Is there something I can do short of airplane mode?

big mean giraffe posted:

Use better battery stats and find out what's causing a partial wakelock. You also have a lot of awake and screen on time. If it's a 4G, at least on mine, I had to disable the dial pad touch tones and ui sounds and lock screen sounds in settings, for some reason they create a wakelock.

Alright I'll try doing that. Thanks!