Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

mistaya posted:

BBS->KH1->RE:COM->KH2 gives you all the important plot stuff. I'm kind of pissed that Dream Drop is a 3DS game because that's the one handheld I don't have and don't really plan on getting (at least not for a while.) It's fine for something like coded or 358/2, since those aren't really important, but Dream Drop is a plot game. :(
Even if someone were to skip playing 358/2 Days (and I might recommend that, depending on their level of patience), they should still read up on the dialogue and/or journal entries. It gave a lot more weight to Axel and Roxas' relationship which was sorely missing in KH2 even though it was the conclusion to the whole affair.

It was wayyyyy too long and monotonous as a game and I didn't like some of the changes to the battle engine, but I think part of the charm of the story was how you were along for the whole year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.
I think with Days, they could have done more with the fact that you are playing and viewing events as the Organization. As it is, half the cast goes way early on. I know they get the limelight in CoM, but that's beside the point.

I think it would have been a nice feature to have been able to summon the lesser nobodies as support fighters too. I recall reading somewhere that they were planning to at one stage, but scrapped it. Probably to make more room for Ice Cream cutscenes...

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
For a game about the Organization, you learned very little about them and how they worked, and instead got the typical "young protagonist is kept out of the loop by rear end in a top hat leaders" approach. The game should not have been about Roxas, but everyone in the group.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Well you actually learned that it's an entire organization of backstabbers. Literally everyone had some scheme.

Except Demyx.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Level Slide posted:

Kingdom Hearts 2 is still chronologically the latest game in the series isn't it?

Gotcha covered! From earlier in the thread:

Kheldarn posted:

And the Japanese Website for KH added the Chronology for the series:

* Birth By Sleep
* Kingdom Hearts
* 358/2 Days (Spans the last half of KH1, all of CoM, and extends beyond CoM)
* Chain Of Memories
* Kingdom Hearts 2
* Coded
* Dream Drop Distance

mistaya
Oct 18, 2006

Cat of Wealth and Taste

ImpAtom posted:

I don't get why people are acting like the 3DS is a failure. It is selling better than any recent Nintendo system after the price drop. They're putting it on the 3DS because the 3DS is doing really well while the Vita is bombing in Japan.

I don't think it's a failure there's just nothing else on the system I really want to play yet and looking at 3D for any length of times gives me a headache. Yes you can turn the 3D down but that kind of defeats the purpose. Also I was planning on holding out for the version with the second thumbstick built in before I bought it.

That sucks to hear about the Vita, because the screen is really nice on it and the buttons/thumbsticks are actually comfortable to use. (Unlike the PSP, my thumbs hated BBS as much as I loved it.)

Rolling Start
Jan 11, 2012
Has anyone here played the "Final Mix" version of Birth By Sleep? I got a PSP fairly recently and want to play through BBS before the 3DS game comes out.

I know there's a paragraph about all the stuff Final Mix adds in the first post, but is there really enough there to justify paying three times the usual price?

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Rolling Start posted:

Has anyone here played the "Final Mix" version of Birth By Sleep? I got a PSP fairly recently and want to play through BBS before the 3DS game comes out.

I know there's a paragraph about all the stuff Final Mix adds in the first post, but is there really enough there to justify paying three times the usual price?

I played it, and while it is tons of fun, the added content isn't a huge amount. A lot of the new stuff is from the NA release, anyway, so like KH Final Mix, it's not that different from the American release. If you are playing for the first time, play the regular version.

Also I still haven't beaten No Heart :smith: gently caress that guy. I can't find a good strategy online

LemonLimeTime
May 30, 2011

I don't have low self-esteem. I have low esteem for everyone else.

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

Also I still haven't beaten No Heart :smith: gently caress that guy. I can't find a good strategy online

Yeah me neither. I can't even beat Lingering Vanitas with Terra. Friggin impossible. :/

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

mistaya posted:

I don't think it's a failure there's just nothing else on the system I really want to play yet and looking at 3D for any length of times gives me a headache. Yes you can turn the 3D down but that kind of defeats the purpose. Also I was planning on holding out for the version with the second thumbstick built in before I bought it.

That sucks to hear about the Vita, because the screen is really nice on it and the buttons/thumbsticks are actually comfortable to use. (Unlike the PSP, my thumbs hated BBS as much as I loved it.)

Super Mario 3D Land is really really good if you like Mario games at all. Mario Kart 7 is a great version of MK, probably my favorite. If you want to play Zelda again OOT looks amazing (the only time I actually keep the 3D on, and the actual graphics were entirely rehauled, not just changed in resolution like most "HD remakes").

There's a lot more coming out soon but SM3DL was the only thing I played for like 2 weeks when I got the thing.

Squallege
Jan 7, 2006

No greater good, no just cause

Grimey Drawer

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

I played it, and while it is tons of fun, the added content isn't a huge amount. A lot of the new stuff is from the NA release, anyway, so like KH Final Mix, it's not that different from the American release. If you are playing for the first time, play the regular version.

I can only get to the part where he finally feels the need to get out of his chair and do something about me.

LemonLimeTime
May 30, 2011

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Super Mario 3D Land is really really good if you like Mario games at all. Mario Kart 7 is a great version of MK, probably my favorite. If you want to play Zelda again OOT looks amazing (the only time I actually keep the 3D on, and the actual graphics were entirely rehauled, not just changed in resolution like most "HD remakes").

There's a lot more coming out soon but SM3DL was the only thing I played for like 2 weeks when I got the thing.

All I wanted was MegaMan Legends 3, that was the dealbreaker for getting a 3DS. :colbert:

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

LemonLimeTime posted:

Yeah me neither. I can't even beat Lingering Vanitas with Terra. Friggin impossible. :/

I beat Lingering Spirit Vanitas with all three. While it's tough with Terra since he doesn't have a million invincibility frames like the other two, it's really not that hard. I still haven't attempted MF with him, though!

Pro-tip for No Heart: Raging Storm will end the first part extremely quickly with Aqua, and also protect you from the flying keyblades as long as you don't stop moving.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
Got BBS; I'm sort of loving how everything Terra touches becomes a complete disaster area. Gota love a story that more or less begins with the protagonist "Murdering" a Disney princess.

ImpAtom posted:

I don't get why people are acting like the 3DS is a failure. It is selling better than any recent Nintendo system after the price drop. They're putting it on the 3DS because the 3DS is doing really well while the Vita is bombing in Japan.

From a European prospective the fact that I can never (feasibly, I'm not going to buy 3 3DS's just so I can play whatever Megaten game Atlus releases in America and not here) play certain games because I am European is pretty much the biggest mark of failure to me.

Say what you want of Vita's success (or lack there of) but at least if I buy something, I'll bloody well be able to play it regardless of area of residense, something that I honestly think is, the stupidest metric for the personal ability to play a video game (or watch television for that matter), ever.

And to wing it around; it's that sort of poo poo that lead to me not getting RE: CoM. Honestly, I'm bothered when it happens in Tales, that poo poo just infuriated me with RE because it was already out in English.

As it stands, I'm really annoyed that I'll probably not get KH 3D any time soon after it's English launch (especially with the ties to The World Ends With You) but I'm not buying the 3DS for just one game I want to play on it and the games I want for it ether get cancelled or have such a non existent print run that it's not worth it.

ConanThe3rd fucked around with this message at 07:58 on Mar 12, 2012

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

ConanThe3rd posted:

Got BBS; I'm sort of loving how everything Terra touches becomes a complete disaster area. Gota love a story that more or less begins with the protagonist "Murdering" a Disney princess.

"Bring me Snow White's literal heart, in this box." :j:
"Yeah okay." :downs:

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

Guys, guess what I saw the other day? I was passing by the student lounge area in my school and next to a guy was a trash bag containing a paper mâché keyblade. I'm pretty sure it was the one from Agrabah. I should have taken a picture because it was pretty sureal.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

Pesky Splinter posted:

He doesn't even get THAT right and then has the gaul to head back to Queen Grimhilde to go "Yeah, didn't do that, lemme use your mirror".

Chrimeny, he might outdo Lan Hikari in the idiot Olympics.

Trouble the Cat
Mar 17, 2009

Pesky Splinter posted:

Except that he had no intention of actually doing it. That was one of the few moments where Terra didn't blindly trust a Disney villain and only because the Queen was very blunt about her intentions. The only dumb thing he did in the Dwarf Woodlands was not realize that she didn't mean Snow White's Heart of Pure Light then going and telling her the truth about not doing it afterward.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Trouble the Cat posted:

Except that he had no intention of actually doing it. That was one of the few moments where Terra didn't blindly trust a Disney villain and only because the Queen was very blunt about her intentions. The only dumb thing he did in the Dwarf Woodlands was not realize that she didn't mean Snow White's Heart of Pure Light then going and telling her the truth about not doing it afterward.

I know it's Terra, but you've got to be pretty dense not to realise that she's asking him to carve her still beating heart from her chest. Even more so when she asks for it to be placed in a convient carrycase. And that still didn't stop him from going anyway. And besides literal heart or not, removing it is never good in the KH universe. Any other character would have said "No way".

Squallege
Jan 7, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Then there's the business with Aurora. That was my first indication that he was just really dumb.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Terra is just flat out the dumbest character in the entire series. BbS is not a bastion of competence, but I guess one out of three main characters who can outwit a goldfish is good enough.

Squallege
Jan 7, 2006

Grimey Drawer
That's why I hope Aqua has more of a role in the future. She's the only good female character that isn't Larxene in the games.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Aqua is probably the smartest character in the series. You can take from that what you will, but it is amusing that the rest of the cast added in the game is dumber than a bag of hammers.

One step forward...

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

I was looking in to buying KH2 Final Mix +. What's going to be my cheapest option to grab it?

Trouble the Cat
Mar 17, 2009
He only went to find Snow White because he hoped she could help him find Xehanort. Also, the thing with Aurora? You all seem to be conveniently forgetting that Maleficent was using her ability to awaken people's darkness to mind control him into removing Aurora's heart.

Edit: Also it occurs to me that with the way he and the others were raised and the way things work in this universe he's probably not used to thinking about people's physical hearts anyway.

Yes, Terra did some dumb things in BBS (and really, if you really want to talk about dumb moments, stop focusing on the early worlds and talk about Neverland, now I will definitely agree that was dumb), but he's a Tragic Hero and naively trusting people he only just met too easily is his Tragic Flaw. You guys are being too hard on Terra.

Also, before anyone mentions Xehanort, just because we knew he was bad news doesn't mean everyone else needed to realize that just by looking at him, no matter how much like a villain he looked. Eraqus is the one who should be blamed for that part. He was the one who sent Terra to find him without telling him he wasn't trustworthy.

Trouble the Cat fucked around with this message at 01:52 on Mar 13, 2012

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

You sayin' I like dubs?!?
Aqua does a way dumber thing then Terra ever did (who has explinations for the few things he actually does bad!) when she get's on Terra's case about "I've seen what you've done on the other worlds!" when all she's seen at that point is Cinderella go on about how awesome Terra is and Maleficent's word she didn't belive at all. Terra was even talking about how he's making great strides in what their Master asked them and she still goes on about how "that's not what the master wants is it!!" and pushed him into "can't trust friends must trust obviously evil man" mode

oh, and about Terras first level Xehanort tells Braig that it was him that did it

gettin mad about kingdom hearts plots, kill me

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.
^^^
Yeah, Aqua wasn't too bright at that time either.

Trouble the Cat posted:

He only went to find Snow White because he hoped she could help him find Xehanort. Also, the thing with Aurora? You all seem to be conveniently forgetting that Maleficent was using her ability to awaken people's darkness to mind control him into removing Aurora's heart.

Yes, Terra did some dumb things in BBS (and really, if you really want to talk about dumb moments, stop focusing on the early worlds and talk about Neverland, now I will definitely agree that was dumb), but he's a Tragic Hero and naively trusting people he only just met too easily is his Tragic Flaw. You guys are being too hard on Terra.

Also, before anyone mentions Xehanort, just because we knew he was bad news doesn't mean everyone else needed to realize that just by looking at him, no matter how much like a villain he looked. Eraqus is the one who should be blamed for that part. He was the one who sent Terra to find him without telling him he wasn't trustworthy.

His lack of brains is enough of a tragic flaw if you ask me :colbert:

I'd forgotten about Maleficent using mind control on him, but he was still like:

:downs: "Hey, I'm looking for a guy. Do you know where he is?"
:witch: "Why, yes. He's at [location]. But I'll only tell you if you do [Insert obviously evil or suspscious thing here] MWHAHAHAHAHA!"
:downs: "Yep. Sure thing!"

And I must point out, he only wanted to use the Mirror to find Xehanort, and that the Queen explicitly states that "[She] wants [Snow White's] life", even if Terra does say he won't let that happen, he still goes off to find her, and doesn't comment at all about this woman who's basically asked him to murder someone..

And yeah, his part in Neverland is pretty dumb.

LemonLimeTime
May 30, 2011

Mr E posted:

I was looking in to buying KH2 Final Mix +. What's going to be my cheapest option to grab it?

Me too, I'm thinking of possibly modding my PS2 soon or whatever I'd need to make it work on an american PS2. (Swap Magic right?) Also does Swap Magic apply to PSone games as well?

Squallege
Jan 7, 2006

Grimey Drawer

LemonLimeTime posted:

Me too, I'm thinking of possibly modding my PS2 soon or whatever I'd need to make it work on an american PS2. (Swap Magic right?) Also does Swap Magic apply to PSone games as well?

Back when I had Swap Magic I don't think it played PSone games.

Reive
May 21, 2009

Finally got around to finishing Aqua's story in BBS, now how exactly do I get the final story?

Also was I supposed to keep the character saves separate? The trinity archive thing is only showing data for Aqua.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Reive posted:

Finally got around to finishing Aqua's story in BBS, now how exactly do I get the final story?

Also was I supposed to keep the character saves separate? The trinity archive thing is only showing data for Aqua.
Ugh, i hate to tell you, but yeah. You need to save the clear data for each character, then start a new game in a new slot. If you're playing Proud, you need to collect all the Xehanort Reports (12, 4 per character) then the final chapter opens up.

If you're playing on normal, you might as well just watch the final chapter on Youtube because you'd go insane trying to 100% each save slot.

JazzFlight fucked around with this message at 03:30 on Mar 13, 2012

Reive
May 21, 2009

JazzFlight posted:

Ugh, i hate to tell you, but yeah. You need to save the clear data for each character, then start a new game in a new slot. If you're playing Proud, you need to collect all the Xehanort Reports (12, 4 per character) then the final chapter opens up.

If you're playing on normal, you might as well just watch the final chapter on Youtube because you'd go insane trying to 100% each save slot.

Oh yeah I mean I did keep them separate but it just seems weird that the archive thing was only showing my recently loaded save's data.

Anyway yeah I was on proud, so is there any easy way to see which reports I still need?

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Reive posted:

Oh yeah I mean I did keep them separate but it just seems weird that the archive thing was only showing my recently loaded save's data.

Anyway yeah I was on proud, so is there any easy way to see which reports I still need?

you have clear data files from each story, right?

Open each one, go to the journal, check out Secret Reports. If it isn't starreddoesn't have a mickey icon, you're missing one!

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

You sayin' I like dubs?!?
you probably missed the one Terra gets for beating one of the early arena fights

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Reive posted:

It should show all the reports you have obtained in the Trinity Archive. You're probably missing the one for beating one of the Mirage Arena matches (can't remember which one) with Terra.

LemonLimeTime
May 30, 2011

It's pretty bollocks that they make you have to play through all the Command Board games just so you can unlock the final level 30 Arena battle. gently caress that noise.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

LemonLimeTime posted:

It's pretty bollocks that they make you have to play through all the Command Board games just so you can unlock the final level 30 Arena battle. gently caress that noise.

yeah man, gently caress getting all that free CP

EDIT: I usually play each board in Command Board twice, once in the normal game to try and pick up the rare commands, and once in the arena for completion.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

You get things for the command board. Plus, it's essentially monopoly; who hates monopoly? At least they don't force you to play that goddawful rhythm minigame for it. Ice cream beat, I believe? I hate that game.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Manatee Cannon posted:

Plus, it's essentially monopoly; who hates monopoly?

Everybody who has ever played it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Squallege
Jan 7, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Manatee Cannon posted:

You get things for the command board. Plus, it's essentially monopoly; who hates monopoly? At least they don't force you to play that goddawful rhythm minigame for it. Ice cream beat, I believe? I hate that game.

I don't know who thought that stupid Ice Cream bullshit was a good idea but I hope they don't do it again.