Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EvilMoJoJoJo
Dec 9, 2004

ask me about leaving the cult of black metal and bringing jesus into your life

Job 19:17

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Honestly, I was kind of surprised when it turned out to be Aesop. Not just because he's still so new it is weird to think of him speaking for Agalloch, but because his blog tends to be more dick jokes and straightforward music production discussion. My money was on Don when I read that, because it sounded like a Sculptured sort of thing.

I spoke to Aesop about it over Twitter, and he didn't know he was even being quoted. He was surprised when he saw words from what he thought was a private email appearing on Gawker.

Aesop Dekker posted:

Gawker is sleazy, I had no idea I was contributing and I don't have a publicist.

E: Oh poo poo, new page. Here, have some Addaura, especially recommended for fans of Wolfshirts in the Dorm Room.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vIowowGva6s

EvilMoJoJoJo fucked around with this message at 22:50 on Mar 12, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A TURGID FATSO
Jan 27, 2004

Here's to ya, JACKASS
Does anybody want to photograph and cover the Metal Master's event in West Hollywood, CA at The Keyclub on April 12th for free? David Ellefson, Mike Portoney, Kerry King, Charlie Benante, Frank Bello, Dave Lombardo, plus special guests are going to be there, so if there is any interest then PM me or e-mail me at jonburkan [at] metalblast [dot] net.

Killsion
Feb 16, 2011

Templars Rock.

Misogynist posted:

They have some really great flow between the parts indiscriminately ripped out of Kénôse and the parts indiscriminately ripped out of Seepia, it sounds like it's right out of 2005

You say that as if it is a bad thing. Deathspell Omega and Portal are pretty much the best thing to happen to metal in ages, so anything taking influence from those bands is instantly superior to others. This is especially true when put into the context of the stagnant genre that is death metal.

Killsion fucked around with this message at 04:52 on Mar 13, 2012

The Clit Avoider
Aug 11, 2002

El Profesional

Killsion posted:

You say that as if it is a bad thing. Deathspell Omega and Portal are pretty much the best thing to happen to metal in ages, so anything taking influence from those bands is instantly superior to others. This is especially true when put into the context of the stagnant genre that is death metal.

What complete horseshit.

Ignoring the fact DSO build their modern reputation mimicking Malign, Kvist and a number of other Scandinavian bands in terms of riff progression, pattern and style, and are miles behind Blut Aus Nord when it comes to creating dissonant hatred... Any band that takes influence from them is superior to others?

:lol:

There are countless bands out there who are doing their own thing and have their own sound, which instantly makes them "superior" to any two-bit band who've went out their way to deliberately emulate the sound of another. Especially when it's a crap sound.

Portal are a one trick pony - and it's not a very good trick - technical guitarwork that is completely disjointed, and experimental jazz-inspired drumming buried below a beehive production to leave the viewer feeling disoriented. The compositions are frequently lacking direction, monotonous or just simply flawed. Much of the bands appeal is purely aesthetic. The fact DSO have evolved to encompass this technique too isn't anything to be praised.

Killsion
Feb 16, 2011

Templars Rock.

The Clit Avoider posted:

What complete horseshit.

Ignoring the fact DSO build their modern reputation mimicking Malign, Kvist and a number of other Scandinavian bands in terms of riff progression, pattern and style, and are miles behind Blut Aus Nord when it comes to creating dissonant hatred... Any band that takes influence from them is superior to others?

There are countless bands out there who are doing their own thing and have their own sound, which instantly makes them "superior" to any two-bit band who've went out their way to deliberately emulate the sound of another. Especially when it's a crap sound.

Portal are a one trick pony - and it's not a very good trick - technical guitarwork that is completely disjointed, and experimental jazz-inspired drumming buried below a beehive production to leave the viewer feeling disoriented. The compositions are frequently lacking direction, monotonous or just simply flawed. Much of the bands appeal is purely aesthetic. The fact DSO have evolved to encompass this technique too isn't anything to be praised.

I'm aware Deathspell Omega is influenced by bands like Malign, they even recorded a tribute song of sorts. But they have their own sound. It just seems like you have some irrational hatred for them or something... Blut Aus Nord are phenomenal though. They would easily be the 2nd best black metal band behind Deathspell Omega.

Lunar Aurora is a good band, but I fail to see how their sound isn't taken from other sources, and they certainly aren't as good as Deathspell Omega. I'd put them up there with like Wolves in the Throne Room though.

I'll take Portal's "one-trick" over the one-trick pony that is modern death metal any day of the week. Because at the end of the day the Portal clone #14 is superior to the Spawn of Possession clone #35252351351151 or Cannibal Corpse clone #331246376684312446241. Why you wouldn't think this beyond me, clearly.

The Clit Avoider
Aug 11, 2002

El Profesional

Killsion posted:

I'm aware Deathspell Omega is influenced by bands like Malign, they even recorded a tribute song of sorts. But they have their own sound. It just seems like you have some irrational hatred for them or something... Blut Aus Nord are phenomenal though. They would easily be the 2nd best black metal band behind Deathspell Omega.

Irrational hatred? No, their early sound is derivative, their SMRC sound is derivative and their modern, "dissonant" sound is crap. BAN went through a period of making crap albums too, and Mayhem have that horrific piece of poo poo Ordo Ad Chao (along with most of their other albums).
You're implying that Portal & DSO are "the way forward".

Killsion posted:

Lunar Aurora is a good band, but I fail to see how their sound isn't taken from other sources, and they certainly aren't as good as Deathspell Omega. I'd put them up there with like Wolves in the Throne Room though.

Lunar Aurora are pretty well accepted as one of the bands you can identify instantly if you've heard them before. Due to them, y'know, not being clones. The new album in particular due to their use of Bavarian dialect. WiTTR are not even worthy of comparison. For a start Lunar Aurora were moving in that direction before (dull as ditchwater) Weakling released the album that WiTTR so clearly took influence from.

Killsion posted:

I'll take Portal's "one-trick" over the one-trick pony that is modern death metal any day of the week. Because at the end of the day the Portal clone #14 is superior to the Spawn of Possession clone #35252351351151 or Cannibal Corpse clone #331246376684312446241. Why you wouldn't think this beyond me, clearly.

Easy. I think Portal are poo poo. I also happen to think both Spawn of Possession and Cannibal Corpse are poo poo as well - and I'm puzzled as to why anyone would clone Cannibal Corpse when they themselves are a poor imitation of the bands they cloned?

Killsion
Feb 16, 2011

Templars Rock.

The Clit Avoider posted:

Irrational hatred? No, their early sound is derivative, their SMRC sound is derivative and their modern, "dissonant" sound is crap. BAN went through a period of making crap albums too, and Mayhem have that horrific piece of poo poo Ordo Ad Chao (along with most of their other albums).
You're implying that Portal & DSO are "the way forward".

Lunar Aurora are pretty well accepted as one of the bands you can identify instantly if you've heard them before. Due to them, y'know, not being clones. The new album in particular due to their use of Bavarian dialect. WiTTR are not even worthy of comparison. For a start Lunar Aurora were moving in that direction before (dull as ditchwater) Weakling released the album that WiTTR so clearly took influence from.

Easy. I think Portal are poo poo. I also happen to think both Spawn of Possession and Cannibal Corpse are poo poo as well - and I'm puzzled as to why anyone would clone Cannibal Corpse when they themselves are a poor imitation of the bands they cloned?

Well, simply put, that is because they are in fact "the way forward". Your dislike of their sound just seems to show you are still living in the dark ages. Another example would be how bands taking influence from Neige projects are another means of moving forward. I never quite got the hate for Ordo Ad Chao, I heard it when I was younger but it seemed fine to me, maybe I'll revisit it.

Funny you say that about Lunar Aurora, because you could say the exact same of Deathspell Omega. I don't see why you gotta hate on WitTR, that wasn't a diss by any means when I compared the two.

You got a point about the Cannibal Corpse clone, how about Suffocation clone instead? Everything is a clone of anything in some manner. Nothing is truly unique anymore. Everything has taken something from something else. You seem to think bands like Portal sound bad, I very much disagree. I think Portal are the saviors of death metal, and the atmospheric wave following them is the best thing to happen to death metal since Gorguts. You clearly seem to disagree. It happens. Maybe someday you'll be as bored with metal music as I am.

Weaponized Cum
Aug 31, 2004

This post brought to you by the finest Miami cocaine money can buy ----->
You guys should just listen to the Black Twilight Circle Collective bands and stop arguing over pointless crap, like what band unleashes more 'dissonant hatred'. Seriously.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

Weaponized Cum posted:

You guys should just listen to the bands you like and stop arguing over pointless crap

In my opinion.

The Clit Avoider
Aug 11, 2002

El Profesional

Killsion posted:

Well, simply put, that is because they are in fact "the way forward". Your dislike of their sound just seems to show you are still living in the dark ages.

What you've basically said is "I dislike every other sound barring this, and you dislike it, ergo you're living in darkness". Actually the opposite is true, you are the pig-ignorant one. There's plenty of other sounds making their way through the underground at the moment, in both death and black metal as well as death/black.

Killsion posted:

Another example would be how bands taking influence from Neige projects are another means of moving forward. I never quite got the hate for Ordo Ad Chao, I heard it when I was younger but it seemed fine to me, maybe I'll revisit it.

"Neige projects" - how misguided. Neige influences nothing. He was involved and around bands who embraced a post-punk and depressive rock sound (and were far from the first to do so) and has stayed on that track, gaining attention from people too attentive to his press and too ignorant of his own influences.

Killsion posted:

Funny you say that about Lunar Aurora, because you could say the exact same of Deathspell Omega. I don't see why you gotta hate on WitTR, that wasn't a diss by any means when I compared the two.

It was a point designed to highlight to you the difference between cloning and influencing. Misogynist's initial view was that Flourishing (who, incidentally, sound awful) were lifting parts wholesale - that isn't being "influenced". And WiTTR are a band who would receive absolutely no attention if they weren't from the USA, in semi-mainstream media and espousing some of the viewpoints they do.

Killsion posted:

You got a point about the Cannibal Corpse clone, how about Suffocation clone instead? Everything is a clone of anything in some manner. Nothing is truly unique anymore. Everything has taken something from something else. You seem to think bands like Portal sound bad, I very much disagree. I think Portal are the saviors of death metal, and the atmospheric wave following them is the best thing to happen to death metal since Gorguts. You clearly seem to disagree. It happens. Maybe someday you'll be as bored with metal music as I am.

Try Morpheus/Morpheus Descends clone.

"Atmospheric wave"? All descent death metal has atmosphere, always has done, before Portal were even a thought at the bottom of a bogan's VB. You're mistaking dissonance for atmosphere - and to be honest, across the genre, Portal's influence is not even noticeable in the current climate, even in Australia most bands doing death/black are doing it in the Canadian style or after Necrovore and Order From Chaos.

I happen to think Gorguts' change in sound to Obscura was one of the worst things they did and spawned a subgenre of shite as well.

Monkeytime
Mar 20, 2010
A friend recommended a band called Hopelorn to me yesterday and they're pretty great. It's basically Swedish d-beat crossed with a fairly traditional black metal sound (Avsky, Sargeist, and Taake came to mind at different times), but it's executed superbly. You can download their album for free at their Bandcamp page.

I also just love the vocals. Can anyone recommend anything similar? I know they're not the first blackened crust band to exist but there is some particular je ne sais quoi about this.

Killsion
Feb 16, 2011

Templars Rock.

The Clit Avoider posted:

What you've basically said is "I dislike every other sound barring this, and you dislike it, ergo you're living in darkness". Actually the opposite is true, you are the pig-ignorant one. There's plenty of other sounds making their way through the underground at the moment, in both death and black metal as well as death/black.

"Neige projects" - how misguided. Neige influences nothing. He was involved and around bands who embraced a post-punk and depressive rock sound (and were far from the first to do so) and has stayed on that track, gaining attention from people too attentive to his press and too ignorant of his own influences.

It was a point designed to highlight to you the difference between cloning and influencing. Misogynist's initial view was that Flourishing (who, incidentally, sound awful) were lifting parts wholesale - that isn't being "influenced". And WiTTR are a band who would receive absolutely no attention if they weren't from the USA, in semi-mainstream media and espousing some of the viewpoints they do.

Try Morpheus/Morpheus Descends clone.

"Atmospheric wave"? All descent death metal has atmosphere, always has done, before Portal were even a thought at the bottom of a bogan's VB. You're mistaking dissonance for atmosphere - and to be honest, across the genre, Portal's influence is not even noticeable in the current climate, even in Australia most bands doing death/black are doing it in the Canadian style or after Necrovore and Order From Chaos.

I happen to think Gorguts' change in sound to Obscura was one of the worst things they did and spawned a subgenre of shite as well.

Please tell me these other sounds then in death metal. Really now. Please tell me. No sarcasm. To me its all just hurf durf tech wanky poo poo that sucks. Random brut00tal growling hurf durf poo poo that sucks, or hurf durf Swedish poo poo that is decent at best. As for black metal, well the atmospheric, post-punk/shoegaze, and orthodox bands would be the only ones worth listening to from my perspective. the rest is just utterly played to hell out and boring.

Like it or not, it is Neige projects like Alcest and Amesoeurs that is opening the minds of a lot of metal fans to some fantastic genres and creating some beautiful music.

Oh please, "all death metal has atmosphere". You sound like some fool saying "all music is emotional" in some emo/screamo discussion.

I think I get it though now... Do you not listen to any 20th century modern classical music? Maybe it'll help you understand.

Monkeytime posted:

A friend recommended a band called Hopelorn to me yesterday and they're pretty great. It's basically Swedish d-beat crossed with a fairly traditional black metal sound (Avsky, Sargeist, and Taake came to mind at different times), but it's executed superbly. You can download their album for free at their Bandcamp page.

I also just love the vocals. Can anyone recommend anything similar? I know they're not the first blackened crust band to exist but there is some particular je ne sais quoi about this.

This is really good by the way. You probably know them but I'd check out Iskra. Most blackened crust isn't nearly this blackened though, ya know?

The Clit Avoider
Aug 11, 2002

El Profesional

Killsion posted:

Please tell me these other sounds then in death metal. Really now. Please tell me. No sarcasm. To me its all just hurf durf tech wanky poo poo that sucks. Random brut00tal growling hurf durf poo poo that sucks, or hurf durf Swedish poo poo that is decent at best. As for black metal, well the atmospheric, post-punk/shoegaze, and orthodox bands would be the only ones worth listening to from my perspective. the rest is just utterly played to hell out and boring.

Interesting you're bagging on tech death and praising latter Gorguts and Portal...

Here's a reasonable overview of current death metal trends, just picking bands to showcase: ZOM, Encoffination, Cruciamentum, Venenum. There is also the massive "occult" death/black trend: Sonne Adam, Necros Christos, Embrace of Thorns, Grave Miasma.

The Canadians are pretty much doing their own take on the occult movement as usual: Weapon, Antediluvian (who you'll probably like since they're Portal without all the bullshit and much better) amongst others. You'll probably already know Mitochondrion - don't mistake their main influence as Portal - it's more clearly related to Order From Chaos.

Other stuff: Teitanblood: Abhorer Worship.

Unlike you in black metal, I'd rather listen to post-punk or shoegaze than hear their influences mashed into black metal half-assedly. I don't think the 'gaze trend is that big anyway, it just gets more attention. I personally find the orthodox movement boring as sin since absolutely none of the bands have moved on at all from the early material of Malign, Ofermod and others (Ascension are an exception to this). I'd much rather listen to bands like Reveal, or Negative Plane who're doing absolutely nothing new, but have a manner that captivates.

Killsion posted:

Like it or not, it is Neige projects like Alcest and Amesoeurs that is opening the minds of a lot of metal fans to some fantastic genres and creating some beautiful music.

Joyless, Green Carnation and in France, Celestia and others were already doing that. Why give one man credit for capitalising on metalhead's ignorance of other genres? At the end of the day you're better off listening to the Jesus and Mary Chain, My Bloody Valentine, Spacemen 3 etc anyway.

Killsion posted:

Oh please, "all death metal has atmosphere". You sound like some fool saying "all music is emotional" in some emo/screamo discussion.

I think I get it though now... Do you not listen to any 20th century modern classical music? Maybe it'll help you understand.

I said all decent death metal (without the typo this time). Removing that word changes the complexion of my point completely. Nocturnus on the Key, Demilich on Nespithe, Incantation on Onwards to Golgotha... All these albums have an immediately enthralling atmosphere.

Don't try to presuppose my listening habits either. I'm familiar with modern classical, but would far rather listen to say, Respighi than for example Penderecki (although I do like Threnody).

The Clit Avoider fucked around with this message at 16:49 on Mar 13, 2012

Wyzt
Mar 22, 2007

At the Heart of the Swarm

Killsion posted:

To me its all just hurf durf tech wanky poo poo that sucks. Random brut00tal growling hurf durf poo poo that sucks, or hurf durf Swedish poo poo that is decent at best.

You are right, I much prefer the boring hurf durf buzzing noises of portal. If thats the future of metal I should probably just give up on it now. Only Gorguts album I can stand listening to nowadays is the first one, also, mmmmm Grave Miasma.

Some friends of mine went to a burger place with Necrobutcher from Mayhem a few days ago, hes on vacation I guess, I was stuck at work...From the pictures I saw hes super short, I was not expecting that...dude must be 5'3 or some poo poo.

QQmore
Jan 10, 2010
I have to chime in that Portal was pretty drat amazing in concert. Saw them in concert with Gorguts, who were actually a lot of fun and pretty chill. Could see how much they enjoyed doing the show. In all honesty I'd never heard of either band til the reunion show Gorguts did and was pleasantly surprised.

Anyone hear of An Autumn for Crippled Children?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FUpOl8wWSHQ

Killsion
Feb 16, 2011

Templars Rock.

The Clit Avoider posted:

Interesting you're bagging on tech death and praising latter Gorguts and Portal...

Here's a reasonable overview of current death metal trends, just picking bands to showcase: ZOM, Encoffination, Cruciamentum, Venenum. There is also the massive "occult" death/black trend: Sonne Adam, Necros Christos, Embrace of Thorns, Grave Miasma.

The Canadians are pretty much doing their own take on the occult movement as usual: Weapon, Antediluvian (who you'll probably like since they're Portal without all the bullshit and much better) amongst others. You'll probably already know Mitochondrion - don't mistake their main influence as Portal - it's more clearly related to Order From Chaos.

Other stuff: Teitanblood: Abhorer Worship.

Unlike you in black metal, I'd rather listen to post-punk or shoegaze than hear their influences mashed into black metal half-assedly. I don't think the 'gaze trend is that big anyway, it just gets more attention. I personally find the orthodox movement boring as sin since absolutely none of the bands have moved on at all from the early material of Malign, Ofermod and others (Ascension are an exception to this). I'd much rather listen to bands like Reveal, or Negative Plane who're doing absolutely nothing new, but have a manner that captivates.

Joyless, Green Carnation and in France, Celestia and others were already doing that. Why give one man credit for capitalising on metalhead's ignorance of other genres? At the end of the day you're better off listening to the Jesus and Mary Chain, My Bloody Valentine, Spacemen 3 etc anyway.

I said all decent death metal (without the typo this time). Removing that word changes the complexion of my point completely. Nocturnus on the Key, Demilich on Nespithe, Incantation on Onwards to Golgotha... All these albums have an immediately enthralling atmosphere.

Don't try to presuppose my listening habits either. I'm familiar with modern classical, but would far rather listen to say, Respighi than for example Penderecki (although I do like Threnody).

Simply put because Gorguts and Portal don't sound like tech death bands. Is it that difficult of a concept to understand? They sound nothing like conventional tech death.

Looking through your examples, none of them are particularly fresh... just old school stuff, and a death/doom band... How is this fresh? Cruciamentum is the only good band I just heard, Venenum was ok too though and Encoffination gets a pass as death/doom in that Disembowelment style is pretty rare I guess.

I actually just listened to Antediluvian a few days ago, really good, mostly because they sound like Portal with some Incantation thrown in. Also I'd refer to Weapon as orthodox, same with Negative Plane and Teitanblood. Which reminds me, why do people call Negative Plane black metal? It sounds exactly like Possessed...

Joyless is the only band there I'll give you. Celestia? Great band, but they never really implemented any of it. Green Carnation? poo poo is just bad. Those bands are great, but you sound like some nugaze hater or something. New bands can sound like old bands you know, hell, you seem to love bands that do that, so why is it an issue here? Further, when put into the context of black metal, you get some gorgeous music. This is one of the reasons black metal is such a wonderful genre, how easily it flows in to other genres, and can be used as an influence in nearly anything. Blackened shoegaze, post-punk, crust, sludge, death, krautrock, etc etc etc.

If you enjoy modern classical then why can't you see how wonderful all of this is? It is gorgeous.

Wyzt posted:

You are right, I much prefer the boring hurf durf buzzing noises of portal. If thats the future of metal I should probably just give up on it now. Only Gorguts album I can stand listening to nowadays is the first one, also, mmmmm Grave Miasma.

Maybe you should. Portal seems to be too complicated and deep for you if all you think of it is as buzzing noises.

Killsion fucked around with this message at 17:46 on Mar 13, 2012

Monkeytime
Mar 20, 2010

QQmore posted:

Anyone hear of An Autumn for Crippled Children?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FUpOl8wWSHQ

I liked both their albums quite a bit, but beware to those who hate depressive black metal. My love for them and my love for bands like Sunny Day Real Estate or Mineral comes from the same place, I think.

Monkeytime
Mar 20, 2010

Killsion posted:

Portal seems to be too complicated and deep for you if all you think of it is as buzzing noises.

Either you're trolling or you totally missed his point about being dismissive. Or maybe tech death is too complicated and deep for you if all you think of it is as "hurf durf."

Not the biggest tech death fan in the world but come on man.

e: sorry about the doublepost

Xombie
May 22, 2004

Soul Thrashing Black Sorcery

MooselanderII posted:

I saw the Iced Earth/Symphony X North American tour last night. It was awesome. Looks like Russel Allen lost about 20 pounds and gained a bunch of muscle mass. He was amazing.

Also, I like Stu Block a lot more than I ever did Barlow.

Saw them on Wednesday, Iced Earth blew me away. Stu Block was a great choice, and honestly was way too talented for Into Eternity.

Killsion
Feb 16, 2011

Templars Rock.
I take it you guys hate Dodecahedron too? On first listen they didn't do much for me but I'm digging it more on each listen.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vspWVrMy8CE 4:35 hits like a truck.

Also the new Sigh is definitely album of the year material.

Killsion fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Mar 13, 2012

RHTITE
Dec 26, 2008
Guys, arguing about the aesthetics of music is not the same as arguing about the quality of music. It's the same thing as arguing that a house sucks because the exterior is painted red instead of blue, even if it's been standing for 300 years and keeps you warm in the winter. Talk about the excellent foundation and those efficient windows!

Also, Deathspell Omega are like early Marduk in that they are awesome at the flash and the bang, but when you really sit down and seriously listen to the music, you should see that it isn't that good. They've come close at times, but it's still entirely forgettable. Portal studied all the technique of Immolation, but only has approximately 1/24th the songwriting talent. They are definitely one of the worst offenders of the style over substance thing. Plus the singer wears a fuckin box on his head. That ain't Death Metal, man.

RE: Tech Death: Try this experiment. If the "Tech Death" band you're listening to has songs that either don't contain any, or aren't based around actual riffs, it's very very likely that they do, in fact, fuckin suck. Try it. You'll see that I'm right, or end up confirming that you have bad taste in Death metal and need repairs. Don't worry, it's easily fixed

Go listen to Demoncy's new record.

Killsion
Feb 16, 2011

Templars Rock.

RHTITE posted:

Also, Deathspell Omega are like early Marduk in that they are awesome at the flash and the bang, but when you really sit down and seriously listen to the music, you should see that it isn't that good. They've come close at times, but it's still entirely forgettable. Portal studied all the technique of Immolation, but only has approximately 1/24th the songwriting talent. They are definitely one of the worst offenders of the style over substance thing. Plus the singer wears a fuckin box on his head. That ain't Death Metal, man.

RE: Tech Death: Try this experiment. If the "Tech Death" band you're listening to has songs that either don't contain any, or aren't based around actual riffs, it's very very likely that they do, in fact, fuckin suck. Try it. You'll see that I'm right, or end up confirming that you have bad taste in Death metal and need repairs. Don't worry, it's easily fixed

Go listen to Demoncy's new record.

I guess I'll just have to agree to disagree. Clearly you guys don't hear what I am hearing and neither of us is going to budge.

Your tech death comment is pretty accurate though, that sums up pretty much all your typical hurf durf tech death of today.

Also Immolation haven't released a good album since 2000.

EDIT: And of what I have heard that Demoncy seems pretty average at best...

Killsion fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Mar 13, 2012

goatse.cx haver
Oct 17, 2010

precious metals
Super bummed out that I couldn't get one of those Dodecahedron double vinyls, thanks for reminding me, jerk. :colbert:

Monkeytime
Mar 20, 2010

Killsion posted:

I take it you guys hate Dodecahedron too? On first listen they didn't do much for me but I'm digging it more on each listen.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vspWVrMy8CE 4:35 hits like a truck.

Also the new Sigh is definitely album of the year material.

How have I never heard of Dodecahedron? That track is great.

I, like many here, got really excited about the new Sigh but it's just not holding up to repeated listens. It's the same feeling I had with the Mars Volta-- you hear all of this amazing stuff the first time, but there are few subtleties to be appreciated over repeated listens. I will say this, though-- I'm going to have to add Shinichi Ichikawa to my short list (J. Mascis, Doug Martsch, Matt Johnsen (Dawnbringer)) of guys that I can listen to wank on guitar all day.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.
Not to redirect the discussion about musical quality and derivation in a humiliatingly incorrect direction, but I've been on a nostalgic early-Gothenburg kick lately and I'm looking for things in the vein of In Flames's Lunar Strain, Dark Tranquillity's Skydancer, and At the Gates's Terminal Spirit Disease. Basically, stuff laden with midrange and reverb, and banking on textured tremolo-picking rather than the derivative pedal-point Slaughter of the Soul rhythm guitars that took over the entire genre a couple of years later. Do not recommend anything that sounds like any major Gothenburg album released after 1995.

Bonus points for gay acoustic guitar interludes and violins.

The Clit Avoider
Aug 11, 2002

El Profesional
I know you're already familiar with Eucharist, A Canorous Quintet, Gates of Ishtar etc, so I'll skip the obvious.

Eh, try early material from The Elysian Fields (plenty of gay interludes and additional keyboards for you too!), Ceremonial Oath, definitely Embracing, Eternal Autumn, Fatal Embrace, Gardenian, Miscreant, Sacrilege (not really unknown at all, but hardly anyone mentions them these days), Thirdmoon, Withered Beauty. The Moaning are possibly worth a visit. Same for A Mind Confused.

And since gothenburg is the topic at hand I'm not missing the opportunity to link the only song on youtube with the words "suicide silence" worth listening to.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
For all the bleating about Portal there is surprisingly little effort to explain why they're supposed to be good other than "you just don't get it, they're really good".

I tried listening to Portal when the thread here was all buzzing about Outré and I thought it was a terribly boring album with a really bad production job.

Of course, people also hyped up Lykathea Aflame who are another terrible band.

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

hello bonjour, en francais we call the bread man l'homme de pain, because pain means bread and we're going to see a lot of pain this year and every nyrfan is looking forward to it and hey tony, can you wait until after my postgame interview to get on your phone? i thought you quit twitter...

Misogynist posted:

Basically, stuff laden with midrange and reverb, and banking on textured tremolo-picking rather than the derivative pedal-point Slaughter of the Soul rhythm guitars that took over the entire genre a couple of years later.

I think you'd like a lot of the black/death metal that was sort of in the periphery of the Gothenburg scene. The obvious/prominent one that you've likely heard is Dissection. My personal favorite is Unanimated, and the textured tremolo picking laden with midrange and reverb is available in large doses from Sacramentum. Thulcandra are a modern clone of these bands.

Decameron border on what you might not like with SOTS, but their one album is fairly varied throughout, so it's worth a listen, as is their 1991 demo. Dawn feature the vocalist from In Flames' Subterranean and their output was more on the black metal side early on, but also a bit different in their later years. There's also Swordmaster, who are kind of a B-rate band who gained infamy because their guitarist's brother was the frontman of Dissection.

I'd guess at least a few of these are what Mr. Avoider referred to as "the obvious". Speaking of Eucharist, if you haven't heard their demo (not the rehearsal), it's at least as good as their full-lengths and free to download from their website.

Zodijackylite fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Mar 14, 2012

Killsion
Feb 16, 2011

Templars Rock.

MrBling posted:

For all the bleating about Portal there is surprisingly little effort to explain why they're supposed to be good other than "you just don't get it, they're really good".

I tried listening to Portal when the thread here was all buzzing about Outré and I thought it was a terribly boring album with a really bad production job.

Of course, people also hyped up Lykathea Aflame who are another terrible band.

I'll never understand complaints about "bad production" when it is perfectly listenable. This http://youtu.be/rDMhPwtQVYQ is bad production. Notice how everything is completely cut out and you can hear absolutely nothing but the drums? That is bad. Complaining about bad production is like saying "this sounds like noise" when it isn't even close to noise. Which humorously enough is a complaint most people use about metal.

If you want to call Portal boring, you are more than welcome to. As said, I see them as the way forward, and the atmosphere their music creates is grotesque and beautiful. More metal should follow them, maybe it'd become listenable again.

The Clit Avoider
Aug 11, 2002

El Profesional

Zodijackylite posted:

I'd guess at least a few of these are what Mr. Avoider referred to as "the obvious".

All of them are :cool:

Clicking the link to more posts from me in this thread will show up posts linking all those bands + others in that style if anyone like them incidentally.

RHTITE
Dec 26, 2008

Killsion posted:

I'll never understand complaints about "bad production" when it is perfectly listenable. This http://youtu.be/rDMhPwtQVYQ is bad production. Notice how everything is completely cut out and you can hear absolutely nothing but the drums? That is bad. Complaining about bad production is like saying "this sounds like noise" when it isn't even close to noise. Which humorously enough is a complaint most people use about metal.

If you want to call Portal boring, you are more than welcome to. As said, I see them as the way forward, and the atmosphere their music creates is grotesque and beautiful. More metal should follow them, maybe it'd become listenable again.

Production means more than just sound quality. Also, you're still not actually explaining what makes bands like Portal the future. Grotesque and beautiful atmosphere? What does that even mean? That poo poo is nothing more than what you'd read in ad print for magazines. WHY is Portal the future?

The Clit Avoider
Aug 11, 2002

El Profesional
I gave up arguing with him because it's plain as day that he's only looking at surface aesthetics rather than anything underneath - for example Negative Plane as death metal? You might hear Beyond the Gates if you don't really listen. Otherwise Mercyful Fate, Mortuary Drape, Martyrium, early Death SS, and the proggy elements of Paul Chain really hit home, alongside Ved Buens Ende, and even Bethlehem, old Celtic Frost and Mayhem at times. The guitar alone has some touches of Morbid Angel and early Nocturnus, and the compositions themselves owe more to organ baroque pieces than anything else, but they are undeniably a black metal band.

There's probably more prog rock than death metal about them.

Killsion
Feb 16, 2011

Templars Rock.

RHTITE posted:

Production means more than just sound quality. Also, you're still not actually explaining what makes bands like Portal the future. Grotesque and beautiful atmosphere? What does that even mean? That poo poo is nothing more than what you'd read in ad print for magazines. WHY is Portal the future?

Because they are pretty much the only worthwhile innovative death metal band any more, not counting bands influenced by them or by Deathspell Omega of course. Mr. Avoider seems to love the old school and the bands which revive it, which is nice and all, but hasn't metal moved beyond this yet? Metal needs to move forward, to change its sound. Not rehash the same bloody thing over and over again like it has been doing.

So when I see a new trend actually doing new things, it is pleasing to my ears most of the time. Mr. Avoider seems to hate Neige and would rather listen to The Jesus and Mary Chain, which is fine and all, I love Psychocandy myself, but I still like Neige's take on it, since it is actually something different in this context and well, who doesn't like Audrey's vocals?

I'm rambling though, you guys hate Deathspell Omega, and Portal, I get it. It is unfortunate that you do, you are welcome to like what you like, but so am I.

The Clit Avoider posted:

I gave up arguing with him because it's plain as day that he's only looking at surface aesthetics rather than anything underneath - for example Negative Plane as death metal? You might hear Beyond the Gates if you don't really listen. Otherwise Mercyful Fate, Mortuary Drape, Martyrium, early Death SS, and the proggy elements of Paul Chain really hit home, alongside Ved Buens Ende, and even Bethlehem, old Celtic Frost and Mayhem at times. The guitar alone has some touches of Morbid Angel and early Nocturnus, and the compositions themselves owe more to organ baroque pieces than anything else, but they are undeniably a black metal band.

There's probably more prog rock than death metal about them.

I don't see how you came to that conclusion... looks more like the evidence cited points to them being a death metal band... Death metal guitar, with proggy flourishes... also I'd say it is more like Seven Churches than anything...

I mean, just listen... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A6FZBIZ0Xbs http://youtu.be/6qGFTnLnIgw?t=1m34s

The Clit Avoider
Aug 11, 2002

El Profesional
And later in that very same song...

Listen to their new album, listen to albums and songs as whole bodies. Stop just picking up on tones and listen to actual compositions. I mean if you listen to that entire song and still think it's primarily death metal then it's easy to see why you see thing the way you do - you have broken ears.

Killsion
Feb 16, 2011

Templars Rock.

The Clit Avoider posted:

And later in that very same song...

Listen to their new album, listen to albums and songs as whole bodies. Stop just picking up on tones and listen to actual compositions. I mean if you listen to that entire song and still think it's primarily death metal then it's easy to see why you see thing the way you do - you have broken ears.

One black metal riff played for roughly a minute in a roughly seven minute long song...

I haven't listened to the new album, too much on my plate still, but it does seem more blackened than their first album.

Morbid Florist
Oct 22, 2002

and most importantly, I am free in all the ways that you are not.

Killsion posted:

Because they are pretty much the only worthwhile innovative death metal band any more, not counting bands influenced by them or by Deathspell Omega of course. Mr. Avoider seems to love the old school and the bands which revive it, which is nice and all, but hasn't metal moved beyond this yet? Metal needs to move forward, to change its sound. Not rehash the same bloody thing over and over again like it has been doing.

So when I see a new trend actually doing new things, it is pleasing to my ears most of the time. Mr. Avoider seems to hate Neige and would rather listen to The Jesus and Mary Chain, which is fine and all, I love Psychocandy myself, but I still like Neige's take on it, since it is actually something different in this context and well, who doesn't like Audrey's vocals?

I'm rambling though, you guys hate Deathspell Omega, and Portal, I get it. It is unfortunate that you do, you are welcome to like what you like, but so am I.

I don't see how you came to that conclusion... looks more like the evidence cited points to them being a death metal band... Death metal guitar, with proggy flourishes... also I'd say it is more like Seven Churches than anything...

I mean, just listen... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A6FZBIZ0Xbs http://youtu.be/6qGFTnLnIgw?t=1m34s

Metal doesn't NEED to do poo poo. Clearly millions of people enjoy the way it's been. Is it getting stale? Sure, all forms of music get boring decades later. But changing for the sake of changing is pathetic.

I get the impression you care way more about separating yourself from "old timers" just because it's old. But if the old poo poo wasn't good you wouldn't have people still listening to it, kids wouldn't still be turned on by it.

Listen to what you want but don't think for a second your opinion extends beyond your nose. It seems like the only thing on your musical agenda is being different from anyone over 30.

And Alcest is the most boring, laughable "black metal" band EVER. They're as black metal as a girlscout troop meeting.

QQmore
Jan 10, 2010
It's not exactly that the old is 'bad', but there does seem to be a massive kneejerk reaction to anything non-orthodox (not exactly the orthodoxy in BM but that which is standard). Hell, metal was once new so obviously someone had to try and new spin on it. Doing the same is nothing but being a cover or worship band. Not that there's anything wrong with that. I certainly appreciate and try listening to the old school when I can.

QQmore fucked around with this message at 19:41 on Mar 14, 2012

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
you can still play, say oldschool death metal while being an original band.

Some people just seem to equate originality with jamming illconceived inspirations from various genres into their black.

I quite frankly don't really see the need to listen to black metal that incorporates prog rock for instance. For one thing because the black metal bands as a whole all tend to do it really poorly and secondly I would much rather just listen to the actual progressive rock bands on the basis that they can actually do it right.

If I'm listening to black metal I want to listen to black metal.

Killsion
Feb 16, 2011

Templars Rock.

Morbid Florist posted:

Metal doesn't NEED to do poo poo. Clearly millions of people enjoy the way it's been. Is it getting stale? Sure, all forms of music get boring decades later. But changing for the sake of changing is pathetic.

I get the impression you care way more about separating yourself from "old timers" just because it's old. But if the old poo poo wasn't good you wouldn't have people still listening to it, kids wouldn't still be turned on by it.

Listen to what you want but don't think for a second your opinion extends beyond your nose. It seems like the only thing on your musical agenda is being different from anyone over 30.

And Alcest is the most boring, laughable "black metal" band EVER. They're as black metal as a girlscout troop meeting.

Because if lots of people like something that means it is good, right? Wait a minute... that sounds familiar...

I don't care about separating myself, I said I don't mind the old school stuff after all. But given the choice of, say that new Demoncy album mentioned earlier, or Dodecahedron, you bet your rear end I'll pick Dodecahedron.

Also your remarks against Alcest just shows that you are a purist, dictating what is and is not tr00 kvlt black metal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

I like Alcest quite a bit, but I mean if the guy thinks they're boring or that they're not black metal enough for his tastes, he's entitled to his opinion.

At worst maybe he's letting annoyance at people calling Alcest black metal instead of black metal influenced post rock color his opinion. That's not something I personally give a flying gently caress about either way but, you know, whatever. That's his prerogative.

Hulk Krogan fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Mar 14, 2012