Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

sanchez posted:

I had a coworker who would put both user and computer settings in the same policy and then link it in two different places.
This is why they make alcohol. And guns.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mierdaan
Sep 14, 2004

Pillbug

skipdogg posted:

Don't worry about having too many GPO's. Just name them well so they're easy to organize. I rather have things seperate and NEVER EVER EVER touch DDP. One guy that worked here before me messed up the DDP and managed to lock everyone out of the domain controllers or some poo poo.

Very early in my career, I took a look at what was even set in DDP. Finding nothing important, I unlinked it :downs:

mute
Jul 17, 2004

IT Guy posted:

I could condense the GPOs but I find it more organized to keep certain things separate.

Condensing causes issues when one system needs one thing but not another. I re-did all the policies here and they ballooned from 20 to something close to 180 right now. But now everything is logical and predictable (at least as far as that goes) and I don't have to wonder where something is being set. And I know without having to look it up exactly what's being applied when I use GPRESULT.

And definitely, as others have said, naming is key for your sanity.

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

skipdogg posted:

Don't worry about having too many GPO's. Just name them well so they're easy to organize. I rather have things seperate and NEVER EVER EVER touch DDP. One guy that worked here before me messed up the DDP and managed to lock everyone out of the domain controllers or some poo poo.

Here is a question for the ages: How do you un-gently caress up the default domain policy.

I know its there...wrongly named and has a billion things it should not have. Sometimes I stare into the abyss of the settings.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

Swink posted:

I asked the same question and was told that there is no real issue with having 100 gpos. Apart from the issue of managing them all.

I have about 40 for 150 users.

This argument comes up all the time between me and my boss. I split them up and give them descriptive names. He sees that we have like 15 different GPOs and tells me how it will make everyone's logon times take 10000000 years. I explain to why it doesn't/won't, he doesn't believe me. I'm pretty sure he is still living in the NT era or something, he always rambles about the "olden days".

Mully Clown
Aug 1, 2004

I handle my piss like the great big frilly girls blouse that I am
I don't think you'll have any issues with 22 GPOs. We're just shy of 800 GPOs here and things keep on trucking along. How many could be deleted is another question.

Syano
Jul 13, 2005
In the early days of active directory Microsoft had a best practice of limiting the number of GPOs if at all possible. The reason being is that back in 99/2000/2001 and so on, physical network limitations like WAN bandwidth, cpu speed, RAM and similar could noticeably be affected when a machine had to process through 40 different GPOs on boot up and log in. However in 2012, all those physical limitations have typically so far outrun what GPOs need then really today it makes most sense to be extremely granular with your GPOs, even if it means you end up with hundreds of them.

parasyte
Aug 13, 2003

Nobody wants to die except the suicides. They're no fun.

incoherent posted:

Here is a question for the ages: How do you un-gently caress up the default domain policy.

I know its there...wrongly named and has a billion things it should not have. Sometimes I stare into the abyss of the settings.

Apparently in Server 2003 and newer, there's a command-line utility named DCGPOFix that will recreate either or both of the Default Domain Policy and Default Domain Controllers Policy objects for you.

There's some other utility to do it for Windows 2000 Server but honestly not even God can help you if your newest DCs are running 2000 Server at this point.

IT Guy
Jan 12, 2010

You people drink like you don't want to live!

Syano posted:

In the early days of active directory Microsoft had a best practice of limiting the number of GPOs if at all possible. The reason being is that back in 99/2000/2001 and so on, physical network limitations like WAN bandwidth, cpu speed, RAM and similar could noticeably be affected when a machine had to process through 40 different GPOs on boot up and log in. However in 2012, all those physical limitations have typically so far outrun what GPOs need then really today it makes most sense to be extremely granular with your GPOs, even if it means you end up with hundreds of them.

We're in a rural area where many of our branches are running on 800kbit/60kbit DSL connections usually out past 5kilometers from the CO. These branches also do not have AD servers on site... poo poo gets rough.

Syano
Jul 13, 2005
You're probably just going to have to just play with it until it works for you then. There never really has been a guideline saying 'x amount of GPOs is too much for y bandwidth' and thats really just due to the insane amount of variables in play.

peak debt
Mar 11, 2001
b& :(
Nap Ghost
Still shouldn't be a problem, each GPO is only a couple KB. You can actually look at them physically by going to \\domain\sysvol\domain.fqdn\policies

GPO traffic will be vastly outshadowed by emails, updates and other stuff.

Honey Im Homme
Sep 3, 2009

Anyone know if using %logonserver% in folder redirection is going to break anything? Think I can clear up a few gpos across a couple of our sites with this.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Honey Im Homme posted:

Anyone know if using %logonserver% in folder redirection is going to break anything? Think I can clear up a few gpos across a couple of our sites with this.

I wouldn't do it.

Better question.. why would you redirect folders to a domain controller?

Honey Im Homme
Sep 3, 2009

Multiple sites with dc's on each site, simplifies AD instead of having multiple site specific policies.

Just redirecting start menu's and desktops btw.

Honey Im Homme fucked around with this message at 23:26 on Mar 14, 2012

IT Guy
Jan 12, 2010

Honey Im Homme posted:

Multiple sites with dc's on each site, simplifies AD instead of having multiple site specific policies.

Just redirecting start menu's and desktops btw.

Don't the sites have file servers?

mute
Jul 17, 2004

Honey Im Homme posted:

I think you can probably do this, with caveats (users must only authenticate to one DC, or you must have DFS sync on all the DCs, which sort of eliminates the gains from multiple sites)

Non-answer: Unless you're hurting for $$$ for a Windows license, I'd at the very least virtualize onto ESXi free and have 1 DC and 1 FS per site.

Separation is good.

Cpt.Wacky
Apr 17, 2005

mute posted:

Condensing causes issues when one system needs one thing but not another. I re-did all the policies here and they ballooned from 20 to something close to 180 right now. But now everything is logical and predictable (at least as far as that goes) and I don't have to wonder where something is being set. And I know without having to look it up exactly what's being applied when I use GPRESULT.

And definitely, as others have said, naming is key for your sanity.

I'm just getting started with group policy. Could you or anyone else go into more detail about naming and organizing the policies? Do you have separate policies for everything like deploying printers, redirecting folders, mapping drives, remote desktop/admin, firewall exceptions, etc?

Syano
Jul 13, 2005

Cpt.Wacky posted:

I'm just getting started with group policy. Could you or anyone else go into more detail about naming and organizing the policies? Do you have separate policies for everything like deploying printers, redirecting folders, mapping drives, remote desktop/admin, firewall exceptions, etc?

I'll tell you what I do and you can see if that helps you any: I make a separate policy for every 'thing' I want to do where each 'thing' may have several actual actions associated with it. For instance, I have a policy called 'billing department folder redirection'. This policy of course has several settings within it that redirect their folders to a fileserver. I try not to get more granular than that because I don't want to have to search through a thousand policies to find what I am looking for. I want to stay that granular though so if I need to disable this policy for troubleshooting or what not I can easily do so without affecting any other settings. Feel free to be as descriptive with your policy names as you can. It can only help.

IT Guy
Jan 12, 2010

Cpt.Wacky posted:

I typically separate these.

My naming convention right now is:
Policy Name (User/Computer)

This allows the policy to still be listed alphabetically but you still know whether it is per machine or per user (or both).

Don't touch the two default policies (Default Domain(Controller) Policy)

I have a main policy that dumb little poo poo goes into called the "Global Domain Policy" and these are policies that apply to all users and computers. I also have a "Global Domain Preferences" for global user/computer preferences. Everything else I separate. I have separate policies for Firewall, Internet Explorer, Drive Maps, Printer Deployment, WSUS Local, WSUS Remote, WSUS Servers, and one for each piece of software that needs exceptions.

On that last note. gently caress software that only installs in the user profile as a local admin.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Syano posted:

You're probably just going to have to just play with it until it works for you then. There never really has been a guideline saying 'x amount of GPOs is too much for y bandwidth' and thats really just due to the insane amount of variables in play.
Also a $200 proliant n40l solves you problem.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
Does anyone have recommendations for how to best do Mapped Drives using only group policy? In the past, we have used logon scripts, and placed a common "net use * /delete" script to delete any mapped drives before mapping other drives. This way, if we changed a map for a user, it would delete the old drive and update the new one.

Is there a way I can do this using only Group Policy on 2008 R2 domains?

Hiyoshi
Jun 27, 2003

The jig is up!

Gyshall posted:

Does anyone have recommendations for how to best do Mapped Drives using only group policy? In the past, we have used logon scripts, and placed a common "net use * /delete" script to delete any mapped drives before mapping other drives. This way, if we changed a map for a user, it would delete the old drive and update the new one.

Is there a way I can do this using only Group Policy on 2008 R2 domains?

You could use the Drive Maps policy under User Configuration\Preferences\Windows Settings.

IT Guy
Jan 12, 2010

Hiyoshi posted:

You could use the Drive Maps policy under User Configuration\Preferences\Windows Settings.

What he ^ said.

Use the "Update" action and it will delete any mapping they already had for that drive letter and update it to the new one.

Edit: You can also use item-level targeting for each mapping if you have any that overlap. For example, each of our branches has an F:\ drive to their local site file server. I only need one GPO with all the drive mappings and just use item level targeting using security groups.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Is there any way to push a 32-bit ODBC connection to a 64-bit Windows machine through group policy? Or hell, even a login script? When I use group policy to create the connection, this one lovely old 32-bit app we have can't see it at all. I have to launch the 32-bit version of the ODBC editor and create the connection by hand.

Kerpal
Jul 20, 2003

Well that's weird.

peak debt posted:

Still shouldn't be a problem, each GPO is only a couple KB. You can actually look at them physically by going to \\domain\sysvol\domain.fqdn\policies

GPO traffic will be vastly outshadowed by emails, updates and other stuff.

When you say GPO are you referring to each individual folder with the long GUID? I've noticed that since I have administrative templates setup, the folders are actually pretty bloated. The ADM folder alone is 4.5 MB and it definitely adds up with 39 policies. I wonder if it affects policy processing speed at all, but it still seems negligible.

Does anyone know if you can only enable administrative templates in the policies where you need them?

parasyte
Aug 13, 2003

Kerpal posted:

When you say GPO are you referring to each individual folder with the long GUID? I've noticed that since I have administrative templates setup, the folders are actually pretty bloated. The ADM folder alone is 4.5 MB and it definitely adds up with 39 policies. I wonder if it affects policy processing speed at all, but it still seems negligible.

Does anyone know if you can only enable administrative templates in the policies where you need them?

There's a policy apparently in Computer>Administrative Templates>System>Group Policy that is named "Always use local ADM files for Group Policy Object Editor" that will keep affected machines from copying the ADM files into the GPO folder. According to the book I'm reading it does not work on XP, though it is supposed to, so it only functions on Windows Server 2003. Found a blog post on it with a commenter that says the policy may change some things in unusual ways as a result.

Probably the best thing if you're concerned would be to use Vista, 7, or Server 2008 or Server 2008R2 as your GPO editing station and perhaps remove and recreate any already affected GPOs.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Someone in this thread recommended Moskowitz's book and I can confirm it rules. He devotes a chunk of space to talking about ADM bloat. The TLDR boils down to a couple things...

1) As parasyte said, if you use a Win 7 or Server 2008/R2 box to create and edit GPO's, you will use ADMX files rather than ADM and they are only a couple KB vs multiple megabytes. I'm not sure how to undo the bloat if it's already there... maybe copy the old GPO (using a Win 7 management station), link it everywhere the old one is and then delete the old one?

2) If your vendor (or you if you made them yourself) offers ADMX files, use those instead of the ADM files. It will avoid copying them around all over the place and wasting space.

Disclaimer: I'm just parroting what I read, working through the book right now. But the dude appears to know what he is talking about.

Briantist
Dec 5, 2003

The Professor does not approve of your post.
Lipstick Apathy
I'm having a problem with software installation via GPO that I can't nail down. The software in question is NSClient++ (Nagios monitoring agent for Windows). It already comes as an MSI.

The MSI installs just fine via the GPO. The MSI updates an existing older version of the software just fine via GPO.

The problem occurs when I manually uninstall the software. What I've seen in the past on other software deployments is that in this case, the software will just be reinstalled on the next reboot.

What's happening here is that the reinstall is attempted but quickly fails. There are no error messages in the event log, the application doesn't show up in Programs in control panel, the files and service are not created. For all intents and purposes, the install didn't happen, EXCEPT that it does show up in the MSI cleanup tool. It doesn't show up in there after the manual reinstall was done, only after a reboot when it attempts to reinstall it.

Removing that entry from the tool does NOT allow it to be successfully reinstalled via GPO.

I am at a loss.

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

Docjowles posted:

Is there any way to push a 32-bit ODBC connection to a 64-bit Windows machine through group policy? Or hell, even a login script? When I use group policy to create the connection, this one lovely old 32-bit app we have can't see it at all. I have to launch the 32-bit version of the ODBC editor and create the connection by hand.

I also need to know this.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Briantist posted:

I am at a loss.

Try turning on verbose logging for the installer service. Can be done via registry edit or group policy. This has helped me in the past finding problems with Java's abortion of an installer :mad: KB article.

Briantist
Dec 5, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

Docjowles posted:

Try turning on verbose logging for the installer service. Can be done via registry edit or group policy. This has helped me in the past finding problems with Java's abortion of an installer :mad: KB article.
Actually, I forgot to mention it, but I did this, and no log file was created. I checked the value of the %temp% variable for both my user (it shouldn't be here) and for the system environment variable (C:\Windows\Temp). I even started by clearing those directories so that I could more easily see a new file.

I've done this on two different servers now, and no log was created during the installation via GPO; even starting from scratch where there was no installation and uninstallation (that is, the install via GPO was successful, and still no log).

I also started a command prompt as the computer account using psexec -s cmd and ran the installer with msiexec (this time, specifying logging options via command line). This was successful for some reason. The log was created and showed no problems, the install worked well.

Briantist
Dec 5, 2003

Lipstick Apathy
Okay I figured out what the problem was with logging. The KB articles say that you can use a value of "*" but it turns out that doesn't work! Setting it to "voicewarmup" does though. This is the result of one of my failed reinstallations:

quote:

=== Verbose logging started: 3/26/2012 15:03:29 Build type: SHIP UNICODE 5.00.7601.00 Calling process: C:\Windows\system32\svchost.exe ===
MSI (c) (28:E4) [15:03:29:453]: User policy value 'DisableRollback' is 0
MSI (c) (28:E4) [15:03:29:453]: Machine policy value 'DisableRollback' is 0
MSI (c) (28:E4) [15:03:29:515]: Note: 1: 1402 2: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Installer\Rollback\Scripts 3: 2
MSI (c) (28:E4) [15:03:29:531]: Executing op: Header(Signature=1397708873,Version=500,Timestamp=1081574870,LangId=1033,Platform=589824,ScriptType=3,ScriptMajorVersion=21,ScriptMinorVersion=4,ScriptAttributes=0)
MSI (c) (28:E4) [15:03:29:531]: Executing op: ProductInfo(ProductKey={76AAFD9B-9388-45D8-B464-217A69EDE358},ProductName=NSClient++ (x64),PackageName=NSClient++-0.3.9-x64.msi,Language=1033,Version=196617,Assignment=1,ObsoleteArg=0,ProductIcon=nsclient.exe,,PackageCode={0DA4D155-5ACC-4D01-AE99-6380B8F8785C},,,InstanceType=0,LUASetting=0,RemoteURTInstalls=0,ProductDeploymentFlags=3)
MSI (c) (28:E4) [15:03:29:531]: Executing op: DialogInfo(Type=0,Argument=1033)
MSI (c) (28:E4) [15:03:29:531]: Executing op: DialogInfo(Type=1,Argument=NSClient++ (x64))
MSI (c) (28:E4) [15:03:29:531]: Executing op: RollbackInfo(,RollbackAction=Rollback,RollbackDescription=Rolling back action:,RollbackTemplate=[1],CleanupAction=RollbackCleanup,CleanupDescription=Removing backup files,CleanupTemplate=File: [1])
MSI (c) (28:E4) [15:03:29:531]: Executing op: ActionStart(Name=CreateShortcuts,Description=Creating shortcuts,Template=Shortcut: [1])
MSI (c) (28:E4) [15:03:29:562]: Executing op: IconCreate(Icon=nsclient.exe,Data=BinaryData)
MSI (c) (28:E4) [15:03:29:640]: Executing op: IconCreate(Icon=nstray.exe,Data=BinaryData)
MSI (c) (28:E4) [15:03:29:640]: Executing op: IconCreate(Icon=doc.ico,Data=BinaryData)
MSI (c) (28:E4) [15:03:29:640]: Executing op: ActionStart(Name=PublishFeatures,Description=Publishing Product Features,Template=Feature: [1])
MSI (c) (28:E4) [15:03:29:640]: Executing op: FeaturePublish(Feature=Documentation,Parent=ProductFeature,Absent=0,)
MSI (c) (28:E4) [15:03:29:671]: Executing op: FeaturePublish(Feature=Plugins,Parent=ProductFeature,Absent=0,)
MSI (c) (28:E4) [15:03:29:671]: Executing op: FeaturePublish(Feature=ServiceRegistration,Parent=ProductFeature,Absent=0,)
MSI (c) (28:E4) [15:03:29:671]: Executing op: FeaturePublish(Feature=MainProgram,Parent=ProductFeature,Absent=0,)
MSI (c) (28:E4) [15:03:29:671]: Executing op: FeaturePublish(Feature=ProductFeature,,Absent=0,)
MSI (c) (28:E4) [15:03:29:671]: Executing op: FeaturePublish(Feature=FireWallException,Parent=ProductFeature,Absent=0,)
MSI (c) (28:E4) [15:03:29:671]: Executing op: FeaturePublish(Feature=CheckPlugins,Parent=Plugins,Absent=0,)
MSI (c) (28:E4) [15:03:29:671]: Executing op: FeaturePublish(Feature=NRPEPlugins,Parent=Plugins,Absent=0,)
MSI (c) (28:E4) [15:03:29:671]: Executing op: FeaturePublish(Feature=NSCPlugins,Parent=Plugins,Absent=0,)
MSI (c) (28:E4) [15:03:29:671]: Executing op: FeaturePublish(Feature=NSCAPlugin,Parent=Plugins,Absent=0,)
MSI (c) (28:E4) [15:03:29:671]: Executing op: FeaturePublish(Feature=SampleScripts,Parent=Plugins,Absent=0,)
MSI (c) (28:E4) [15:03:29:671]: Executing op: ActionStart(Name=PublishProduct,Description=Publishing product information,)
MSI (c) (28:E4) [15:03:29:671]: Executing op: CleanupConfigData()
MSI (c) (28:E4) [15:03:29:687]: Note: 1: 1402 2: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Installer\UserData\S-1-5-18\Products\B9DFAA6788398D544B4612A796DE3E85\Patches 3: 2
MSI (c) (28:E4) [15:03:29:687]: Executing op: ProductPublish(PackageKey={0DA4D155-5ACC-4D01-AE99-6380B8F8785C})
MSI (c) (28:E4) [15:03:29:687]: Note: 1: 1402 2: UNKNOWN\Installer\Products\B9DFAA6788398D544B4612A796DE3E85 3: 2
MSI (c) (28:E4) [15:03:29:687]: Note: 1: 1402 2: UNKNOWN\Installer\Products\B9DFAA6788398D544B4612A796DE3E85 3: 2
MSI (c) (28:E4) [15:03:29:687]: Executing op: UpgradeCodePublish(UpgradeCode={0B36E3B7-0042-452D-B376-57E0C07ADDAA})
MSI (c) (28:E4) [15:03:29:703]: Executing op: SourceListPublish(,,,,NumberOfDisks=1)
MSI (c) (28:E4) [15:03:29:703]: Note: 1: 1402 2: UNKNOWN\Installer\Products\B9DFAA6788398D544B4612A796DE3E85\SourceList 3: 2
MSI (c) (28:E4) [15:03:29:703]: Executing op: ProductPublishClient(,,)
MSI (c) (28:E4) [15:03:29:703]: Executing op: End(Checksum=0,ProgressTotalHDWord=0,ProgressTotalLDWord=0)
MSI (c) (28:E4) [15:03:29:812]: Note: 1: 2318 2:
MSI (c) (28:E4) [15:03:29:812]: DoAdvertiseScript is returning: 0
=== Verbose logging stopped: 3/26/2012 15:03:29 ===
Unfortunately I don't really understand what's going on here. Any help is appreciated.

Wicaeed
Feb 8, 2005
Does anyone have tips on creating a WMI query for a GPO that I want deployed on only physical machines?

For some reason Google isn't helping much right now.

I know you can get the machine manufacturer with a WMI query such as
code:
select * from Win32_ComputerSystem 
but I can't quite figure out how to EXCLUDE results with a WMI query, it's easier to include a result...

coffee edit:

Had my morning coffee and figured it out :)

Proper syntax to filter is
code:
select * from Win32_ComputerSystem WHERE Not Model LIKE "VMware Virtual Platform"

Wicaeed fucked around with this message at 14:39 on Mar 30, 2012

IT Guy
Jan 12, 2010

So what the gently caress? Does Mac OS X 10.6 not support NTLMv2?

Anyone have problems with SMB shares with Windows Server 2008 R2 file server? My Mac OS X 10.6 machines can't authenticate.

madsushi
Apr 19, 2009

Baller.
#essereFerrari

IT Guy posted:

Anyone have problems with SMB shares with Windows Server 2008 R2 file server? My Mac OS X 10.6 machines can't authenticate.

Correct, no SMB2 support in 10.6. Should still work though, falling back to SMB, just like Windows XP would. Is the time on your Mac and the time on the 2008r2 server 5 minutes apart or more?

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Edit: I think I misinterpreted what the author was saying. He randomly has a big warning about Roaming Profile caching in the middle of the Folder Redirection chapter. I figured it applied to both but it seems he really did only mean Roaming Profiles.

I need some protips on Folder Redirection. I had it working, but reading through my new group policy book, the author states that as a best practice the share hosting the redirected folders should have caching disabled. I had it enabled, so I went ahead and flipped it off.

All hell immediately broke loose with laptop users. Couldn't access their documents, IE bookmarks went missing, they'd even get permission errors browsing to the share (wut). Unless they were in the office on a wired connection when their PC booted, their profile was just basically empty.

Spending quality time on Google, I get a shitload of conflicting info on this. Some pages say caching must be disabled because Folder Redirection has its own internal cache and they stomp on each other. Other pages say it can and should be left on. Based on my experience, it sure seems to be necessary unless you live in a wonderful world where you only have desktop users who never leave the office. I had caching on for a few months, then turned it off, maybe that hosed things up and it would have been fine if I had it off from day 1?

So, which is it?

Docjowles fucked around with this message at 00:00 on Apr 3, 2012

Cpt.Wacky
Apr 17, 2005
My memory could be hazy since it's been a few weeks since I looked at it, but I think with Windows 7 clients you want it on, and older clients you want it off.

parasyte
Aug 13, 2003

Docjowles posted:

Edit: I think I misinterpreted what the author was saying. He randomly has a big warning about Roaming Profile caching in the middle of the Folder Redirection chapter. I figured it applied to both but it seems he really did only mean Roaming Profiles.

This is basically it. Roaming profile shares should not (in the RFC meaning, I think) have offline caching enabled and must not have auto-caching enabled as there can be times when the caching will interfere with the roaming profiles synchronization. If you don't have users who will pin files manually it's probably not a big deal but it is safer to have the roaming profile share never allow offline caching.

Redirected folders on the other hand must allow caching as the OS will automatically cache all redirected folders.

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

IT Guy posted:

By default, 2008 R2 disables NTLMv1 authentication, and will only talk to NTLMv2 or better clients. You can change this at the group policy or local security policy level, and reboot for the change to take effect.

There is also a registry setting for it, but other policy changes could overwrite that, so GPO is better in this case.

There are also third party tools for OSX that add support for SMB2 (DAVE, I think)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IT Guy
Jan 12, 2010

EoRaptor posted:

By default, 2008 R2 disables NTLMv1 authentication, and will only talk to NTLMv2 or better clients. You can change this at the group policy or local security policy level, and reboot for the change to take effect.

There is also a registry setting for it, but other policy changes could overwrite that, so GPO is better in this case.

There are also third party tools for OSX that add support for SMB2 (DAVE, I think)

I changed the NTLM authentication down to LM + NTLM with NTLMv2 if negotiated. I guess I'll find out tomorrow if the Macs can connect.

Edit: I assume Lion will use NTLMv2, right? I don't plan on keeping my NTLM authentication so low for a long time.

IT Guy fucked around with this message at 04:18 on Apr 3, 2012

• Locked thread