Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Crotch Bat posted:

It really never gets old.

Also if I'm reading chat right sig just got 49:32 on the 70 star run. :toot:

It was old when it started, and no he didn't.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere

Crotch Bat posted:

It really never gets old.

It was actually the first time I found it legitimately funny, probably the last as well.

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Much like with everything else in life, the Euros seem to have more sense on how to do things in a fun atmosphere without sucking the soul out of the event.

Liku posted:

It was old when it started, and no he didn't.

Well,

bye.

furry drum circle
Aug 7, 2007

Dear... God...

Baram posted:

Speaking of peaches__ he's playing through Eltale Monsters right now which is the Japanese version of what most of us would know as Quest 64. He says he's playing to see what kind of differences there are between the two versions. The game was released in the U.S. first and seems to have been spruced up a little for the Japanese release.

e: of course he goes to eat right when after i post this.

Here's what I wrote for KirkQ regarding the differences:

http://pastebin.com/TG3RR6Ew

The changes are really huge and make for a totally different gameplay and speedrun experience. I would go so far as to say it could potentially call for a scrap of the "Water to 19, Earth to 36, Max out water+earth" and opt for a total reroute. There's also many implications for a sub-10 hour Low% run :holy:

edit: vvvvvvvvvvvvv this is an amazing idea and I'll let you know for sure when it's happening (it will happen)

furry drum circle fucked around with this message at 03:20 on Mar 14, 2012

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

"I stood there, wondering why the puck was getting bigger...

and then it hit me."

furry drum circle posted:

There's also many implications for a sub-10 hour Low% run :holy:

If you do this again I'm totally down for the late-night "commentary"* shift like last time.

*Basically not talking about the game and laughing like an idiot for hours.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

You better email/pm me so I can be there for the glorious undertaking.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

Do different games fall in and out of popularity with speedrunners? I ask because it seems like a majority of the posts in this thread are about Mario 64 and Ocarina of Time.

Also, speedrun-analysis has crept into my brain and I can't turn it off (please send help aaaa). A few weeks ago, I finally started Twilight Princess, and I notice here and there I have little thoughts like "hmm yes, in a speedrun I would want to glitch onto this ledge instead of slowly climbing up normally". The best part: I've never attempted to speedrun a game, not even informally :v:

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀
If a new glitch is discovered for a game, then it generally becomes popular for a little while. SMW appears to have gotten more popular since the orb glitch was found.

As for speedrunning Twilight Princess, I would recommend watching a run when you're finished the game. Compare your notes to what happens. You'll be surprised.

I think this is the most recent:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=egqhy_AHcpY

Keyboard Kid
Sep 12, 2006

If you stay here too long, you'll end up frying your brain. Yes, you will. No, you will...not. Yesno, you will won't.
Mario 64/OoT are also popular for speedrunning because... they're popular games. They also have a ton of elements that make them very speedrun-worthy (Mario 64 especially). Having a large community already playing the game also makes it very accessible. Most of the tricks/routes are well documented, you can pretty much hop in an IRC channel to ask anything, and there's always people around to race. A lot of people (as this thread might show) get into the games simply from watching others play what's popular.

Since the speedrunning community (at least, the English one) is fairly small, yes, some games drift in an out of popularity fairly often.

BeanBandit
Mar 15, 2001

Beanbandit?
Son of a bitch!
I've been watching a lot of speedruns lately and really enjoying them. It's not something I'd normally be interested in, but it's strangely addictive. The charity events that SDA does are a lot of fun to watch. JMan's run of Metroid is probably my favorite so far, mostly because of the crazy Mother Brain fight at the end and the crowd reactions.

I think I could be competitive in a few older NES games like Ninja Gaiden and Battletoads, even though I'm sure competition is more intense with games like that. I might polish off my NES, install a new 72-pin connector, and do some practicing.

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

the next big speedrun game is Booty Hunt it's an indie platformer with a few pretty inventive glitches and gameplay elements. Current any% record is 2:36 done by the creator himself (Lil'Mini) but more and more people are picking it up and optimizing it. Look out for it in the future

Lord Chumley
May 14, 2007

Embrace your destiny.

Keyboard Kid posted:

Mario 64/OoT are also popular for speedrunning because... they're popular games. They also have a ton of elements that make them very speedrun-worthy (Mario 64 especially).

They both also use the same engine.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Lutha Mahtin posted:

Do different games fall in and out of popularity with speedrunners? I ask because it seems like a majority of the posts in this thread are about Mario 64 and Ocarina of Time.

Also, speedrun-analysis has crept into my brain and I can't turn it off (please send help aaaa). A few weeks ago, I finally started Twilight Princess, and I notice here and there I have little thoughts like "hmm yes, in a speedrun I would want to glitch onto this ledge instead of slowly climbing up normally". The best part: I've never attempted to speedrun a game, not even informally :v:

Super Mario 64 is generally a good way to show off, because some of the tricks require a lot of skill, plus the endurance needed to pull off for a 70 star or 120 star single segment.

Also, everyone and their mother has generally played SM64 or OoT and can understand most of what's going on.

Long story short, generally the more glitches the game has, or the more people have played it, it'll tend to be more popular.

(as an example, I bet 80% of the people watching Peaches__ run have played Quest 64 or Blast Corps.)

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

BeanBandit posted:

I've been watching a lot of speedruns lately and really enjoying them. It's not something I'd normally be interested in, but it's strangely addictive. The charity events that SDA does are a lot of fun to watch. JMan's run of Metroid is probably my favorite so far, mostly because of the crazy Mother Brain fight at the end and the crowd reactions.

I think I could be competitive in a few older NES games like Ninja Gaiden and Battletoads, even though I'm sure competition is more intense with games like that. I might polish off my NES, install a new 72-pin connector, and do some practicing.

Jman's awesome, he's currently practicing Startropics to run during the summer event.

Vakal
May 11, 2008
My current favorite speed runnner to watch live is Mecha Richter playing SotN.

Mainly because every session ends with in a meltdown where he vows to never loving play the game again.

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Much like with everything else in life, the Euros seem to have more sense on how to do things in a fun atmosphere without sucking the soul out of the event.
Do they have a list or at least a rough guess of what's being run for SGDQ?

take_it_slow
Jul 7, 2011

The Shaman of Cum posted:

the next big speedrun game is Booty Hunt it's an indie platformer with a few pretty inventive glitches and gameplay elements. Current any% record is 2:36 done by the creator himself (Lil'Mini) but more and more people are picking it up and optimizing it. Look out for it in the future

Can you link to a video of the run or to the game itself, because I can't find any info on google.

PKJC
May 7, 2009
Here's the speedrun.

Looks like a bit of quick fun, might try it out later.

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

ya'll should check out jiano http://www.twitch.tv/sunjiano he's tied with the mega man 10 world record and should claim it as his own soon. sometimes it can get a little wacky but what the heck give it a go

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Anyone else who uses firefox with adblock plus notice that ads are getting through again on twitch?

Also where the fundoc at? I saw you in Cygfer's(sp?} chat the other night. You spoiled us with daily CV3 attempts for that two week period or so.

Peaches did a any% of blastcorps playing with his feet last night... Hes probably better with his feet than I am with my hands.

Violen
Jul 25, 2009

ohoho~

katkillad2 posted:

Anyone else who uses firefox with adblock plus notice that ads are getting through again on twitch?

Also where the fundoc at? I saw you in Cygfer's(sp?} chat the other night. You spoiled us with daily CV3 attempts for that two week period or so.

Peaches did a any% of blastcorps playing with his feet last night... Hes probably better with his feet than I am with my hands.

Nero has demolished the 1:47:00 barrier for SM64.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RUqWOKkVRGU

evilalien
Jul 29, 2005

Knowledge is born from Curiosity.

katkillad2 posted:

Try a different filter subscription. I switched to EasyList after I started getting twitch ads again and that fixed it.

HoldYourFire
Oct 16, 2006

What's the time? It's DEFCON 1!

evilalien posted:

Try a different filter subscription. I switched to EasyList after I started getting twitch ads again and that fixed it.

I don't mean to dig up this discussion again but if you block ads on Twitch aren't you taking money away from the streamer?

evilalien
Jul 29, 2005

Knowledge is born from Curiosity.

HoldYourFire posted:

I don't mean to dig up this discussion again but if you block ads on Twitch aren't you taking money away from the streamer?

Yes, that's why I open up another instance of whatever I am watching with adblock off and leave it muted whenever I watch something on twitch. I donate to my favorite streamers too when I can.

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

ya'll should check out jiano http://www.twitch.tv/sunjiano he's tied with the mega man 10 world record and should claim it as his own soon. sometimes it can get a little wacky but what the heck give it a go

He did it everyone, he did it and now he has the record

usedpizza
Jan 1, 2009

Give it up for the champ

He did it everyone, he did it and now he has the record

Yeah jiano owns been watching for weeks. He put the run on youtube if you wanna see http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IueHt_Dhg4A

HKR
Jan 13, 2006

there is no universe where duke nukem would not be a trans ally

HoldYourFire posted:

All of that money goes to justin/twitch.

Ads that preempt the live content without any warning to the streamer are extremely annoying because they're gonna keep going on while you're forced to watch a 30 second ad that you can't mute, is 1200x louder and you miss a lot of action.

Susat
May 31, 2011

Taking it easy, being green

HKR posted:

Ads that preempt the live content without any warning to the streamer are extremely annoying because they're gonna keep going on while you're forced to watch a 30 second ad that you can't mute, is 1200x louder and you miss a lot of action.

So if they're a twitch partner, does that mean they're playing Ads to remain a partner?

usedpizza
Jan 1, 2009

Give it up for the champ

HKR posted:

What? The streamer definitely gets paid for showing ads.

pokecapn
Oct 17, 2003

yeah, galo sengen

Glass Eater posted:

What? The streamer definitely gets paid for showing ads.

Only if they're a partner. Otherwise they don't have control over when ads show up and don't get paid for it.

ChibiSoma
Apr 13, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
After a certain point of waiting to see a speed run/RTA/TAS of a game you like, you start thinking maybe you should just do it yourself, since it doesn't look like anyone else is going to. And then you replay those games and go 'ohhh. No, I can't do this at all, can I?'

One day, there will be absurd speed runs of the three Etrian Odyssey games somewhere, I hope. Because I am laughably not skilled enough to be even thinking of attempting them myself.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

ChibiSoma posted:

After a certain point of waiting to see a speed run/RTA/TAS of a game you like, you start thinking maybe you should just do it yourself, since it doesn't look like anyone else is going to. And then you replay those games and go 'ohhh. No, I can't do this at all, can I?'

I keep planning a speedrun of System Shock and never actually doing it.

I'm pretty sure I have the skills, I just need the time. And to actually finish my mapping program so I can plan a good route.

It's kind of disheartening to know that it'll never be accepted by SDA, too. :smith:

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

and then it hit me."

Romscout is marathoning 30 Mega Man games on his stream. He's currently playing MM2 on the Game Boy, and his stream title says that he's playing MMZero 1-4, Rockman World 1-5, Xtreme 1+2 today: http://www.twitch.tv/romscout

Flops
Mar 28, 2010

Look at all these lovely posts!

Dr. Stab posted:

I think this is the most recent:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=egqhy_AHcpY

Does it make me a bad person if I want to use the trick at the beginning of this video to start the game? Because it looks like he cut out a full hour of tutorials.

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer

ToxicFrog posted:

I keep planning a speedrun of System Shock and never actually doing it.

I'm pretty sure I have the skills, I just need the time. And to actually finish my mapping program so I can plan a good route.

It's kind of disheartening to know that it'll never be accepted by SDA, too. :smith:
why wouldn't it get accepted?

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

HoldYourFire posted:

The only person I watch who is a partner is trihex and if I was going to give him money i'd donate it directly.

I don't like ads, i'd probably stop using the website before I would tolerate an ad playing every time i switch rooms, everytime the stream drops, or with partners spamming ads every 7-10 minutes. I think trihex does do it best though, playing a bunch of ads in a row at the very end of his stream and lets people know beforehand that he is doing it.

Honestly i think it's the poorest form of advertising and a waste of my time. Twitch should block people who use adblock software if they have a problem with it.

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

and then it hit me."

Shadow Ninja 64 posted:

Romscout is marathoning 30 Mega Man games on his stream. He's currently playing MM2 on the Game Boy, and his stream title says that he's playing MMZero 1-4, Rockman World 1-5, Xtreme 1+2 today: http://www.twitch.tv/romscout

Romscout just started the MMZ portion of his marathon.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Shadow Ninja 64 posted:

Romscout just started the MMZ portion of his marathon.

After watching the failed LP by that lovely poster who uploaded them at postage stamp size it's nice to see someone playing this at a viewable resolution.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

fleshweasel posted:

why wouldn't it get accepted?

PC game.

e: actually, I'm a dumb

Doc Hawkins fucked around with this message at 00:36 on Mar 17, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

... is SDA not the site that has a Deus Ex and Morrowind speedrun on it? Is that some other site I'm thinking of?

• Locked thread