Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Volcano
Apr 10, 2008

we're leaving the planet
and you can't come

miscellaneous14 posted:

How does a person not realize this is not a reasonable thing to do, when they're a grown adult? :psyduck:

She just has absolutely no concept of boundaries. I'll come in to check my schedule and she'll cry to me about her family for half an hour, then ask me to babysit, fix her home computer and become the lead fundraiser for whatever charity she wants to start that week.

It's a small family-run business so there's no corporate to complain to. Honestly I prefer dealing with her to pushing credit cards and meeting arbitrary quotas and any of the other chain store poo poo.

Robzor McFabulous posted:

I was in a supermarket grabbing a few things yesterday when I saw something I don't think I've seen before. I had my stuff on the belt, waiting my turn, and some guy walks up, dumps a full basket of stuff right on the belt and heads back off up an aisle. Me and the cashier exchange glances, and she starts to run my things through. A couple of people appear behind me, no sign of the guy, and unload their stuff on the belt behind his basket. Once I'd finished paying I just grabbed his basket and dumped it on the belt of the unmanned checkout behind me. gently caress him.

Unfortunately the sort of rear end in a top hat who dumps their stuff on the belt and goes walkabout also seems like the sort to scream at the cashier about that basket being moved when they get back. I don't think she should've started ringing it through or making everyone else wait because yeah, gently caress him, but I just can't see that ending well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe
While no retail spefically, I think it still goes well withing this thread
I have a coworker who i honestly think is almost on the edge of killing everyone in our store.

Let me give you a little backstory. He does his job good, he's a good worker. but he is impossible to work with. Let's call him M.

He's a cook, he's 24 years old. i am 19 years old and he makes 0.05 cent more per hour than me. (he's not very smart he could easily get minumum wage, he now works below minum mage, if he was a decent guy i would have told him that, but he burned his bridges with me)

During my 1st week, he was constantly making fun of me, and in the 2nd week I had enough of him.

(Me :)
M :supaburn:)

:) Are you mad at me because you are ruined your future and are forced to do this job. while this to me is just a part time gig?
:supaburn: What! Who do you think you are. If you said that to me on the street, things would go down very differently.

:) oh are you threathing me?
:supaburn: No, just try to say that me on the street.
(manager comes)
:supaburn: i can no longer work with him fire him!
Manager: no, come on, i won't fire you guys

(i tell the manager the whole story and the manager hears his story out)
:) We don't have to like each other to work with each other. as long as he stops bellitting me, i am fine with it.

(I forgot a few things, this happened last year, but that was the jist of it)

So I was the 1st one who had a fight with him.
Fastworward to august, We had a new hire, it was a really nice australlien guy.

Guess what happened, M had a fight with the australien guy and also threathned him. and he always says this during a fight. Go ahead and tell the managers. the austallien guy was really nice and it was his 1st week. So he didn't go to the manager. a few months later we had a new sous chef. and yesterday he had a fight with him and threathned him. It was prety serious,. but the managers are always away when these things happen. Anyway. it's not only the fights, he talks about the most ridiculous things, about life and dead that he absolutely hates his job. He says i'm a dog for doing something the manager aks me to do. and when they ask him, he does it but gets really pissed. the only reason he isn't getting fired is because he's cheap for the work he does, he makes 8.25 euro's per hour and he should be making 13 euro's.
Does anyone have similar experience on dealing with guys like him?

Big Taint
Oct 19, 2003

Sefal posted:

Does anyone have similar experience on dealing with guys like him?

Yes, and you need to either talk to your supervisors again and make it clear that you really feel threatened by him and maybe fill out an incident report or something to get it on paper that you told them before something happens. If they keep blowing you off, is there a corporate office/HR department that you can talk to about it? Do that.

spixxor
Feb 4, 2009
I'm currently torn between the fact that I work really hard to not be underestimated because I'm a tiny petite female, and I hate being babied and getting the whole "oh let me lift that five pound bag for you" thing, and the fact that this seems to have backfired and I'm now being worked like a pack mule.

I can hold my own and all but loading 25 soaking wet bags of mulch that weigh over half my body weight into a truck by myself is a bit much even for me.

I guess I can't have it both ways and shouldn't complain but drat I'm tired.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost

spixxor posted:

I'm currently torn between the fact that I work really hard to not be underestimated because I'm a tiny petite female, and I hate being babied and getting the whole "oh let me lift that five pound bag for you" thing, and the fact that this seems to have backfired and I'm now being worked like a pack mule.

I can hold my own and all but loading 25 soaking wet bags of mulch that weigh over half my body weight into a truck by myself is a bit much even for me.

I guess I can't have it both ways and shouldn't complain but drat I'm tired.

Get thee to Watch and Weight and learn to lift heavy stuff. My wife is a nurse and she used to complain of her back hurting after having to turn and lift heavy patients. I got her into the weight room and she doesn't complain about her back any more, and looks better than ever.

SlaveToTheGrinds
Apr 3, 2010
gently caress yeah 96% on our store review today. Uggh now I can finally relax for a minute. Gem from one of my co workers afterward "We really should keep up on this stuff when he isn't coming in.". NO loving poo poo SHERLOCK. Uggh. In other news husband talked to the boss to back me up on cutting my days down to four or five and this seems like a real possibility. We'll see what happens. Now to find someone to do it that isn't a moron or great at the start and then starts sucking.

Dead Pikachu
Mar 25, 2007

I wish you were real.
I was covering a 15 in Electronics today when a lady asks if she can check out there. She has 4 things of Playdoh, 2 cost 2.99, 2 cost 5.99. She's on the phone, that makes me slightly irritated and then she hands me 4 "$5 off" coupons for board games.

:): Ma'am, these coupons are for board games, and you're only buying Playdoh.
:j: The coupons worked last week for Playdoh. They work on Hasbro products.
:): Well, it says they're only supposed to work on these board games, but I can see if they'll scan in.

I scan one of them and the register gives me the option of which product to use the coupon on. And I choose a whatever Playdoh. It works. I scan the next coupon and then I realize if I scan all of these in I'm going to be giving her money back. Unfortunately two scans too late, it felt fishy so I called my manager. He tells the lady the same thing, but allows her to use the two coupons I already scanned in. Apparently it's our store's policy not to accept coupons that are over the amount of the item...not to mention not even the right product. I feel stupid.

I feel guilty that I let her get away with that much. Surely everyone else has made a mistake like this!

spixxor
Feb 4, 2009
That kind of thing makes me wonder if those couponers actually need the poo poo they buy or if they just get it because they can.

And yeah, I've done that sort o if thing before. My managers don't care at all though, so I figure neither should I.

Robzor McFabulous
Jan 31, 2011

Volcano posted:

Unfortunately the sort of rear end in a top hat who dumps their stuff on the belt and goes walkabout also seems like the sort to scream at the cashier about that basket being moved when they get back. I don't think she should've started ringing it through or making everyone else wait because yeah, gently caress him, but I just can't see that ending well.

Sadly you're likely quite right, I thought the same thing earlier today. But eh, gently caress it, the cashier gave me a grateful look for taking the choice of waiting for him or serving people in front of him out of her hands, that's good enough for me.

Dead Pikachu
Mar 25, 2007

I wish you were real.
My managers won't care either. We're a laid back store, that's why we're losing money! The most I'll have to deal with is the cash office girl shaking her finger at me tomorrow morning.

The lady didn't need the playdoh. She immediately said she didn't want the other two as soon as I told her we couldn't take all the coupons.

copy of a
Mar 13, 2010

by zen death robot
So far my new job is looking a hell of a lot better than P, and today was only my first day. P is supposed to be a "great place to work" (it says so on everything in the breakroom, our note pads, and every little piece of paperwork we get), but I don't see P giving me 35 hours a week, paid time off, pay and a half on holidays and Sundays, and a 10-30% discount on everything in the store.
While in orientation, the assistant manager who was doing the training asked me what my schedule was like for the next few weeks and I told him I didn't know yet. So he goes, "What would it take for you to quit P?" And I straight up told him, I expect more than 30 hours a week and I would definitely quit if you could offer me what P is offering. And he said okay.
:)

Robzor McFabulous
Jan 31, 2011

silversiren posted:

So far my new job is looking a hell of a lot better than P, and today was only my first day. P is supposed to be a "great place to work" (it says so on everything in the breakroom, our note pads, and every little piece of paperwork we get), but I don't see P giving me 35 hours a week, paid time off, pay and a half on holidays and Sundays, and a 10-30% discount on everything in the store.
While in orientation, the assistant manager who was doing the training asked me what my schedule was like for the next few weeks and I told him I didn't know yet. So he goes, "What would it take for you to quit P?" And I straight up told him, I expect more than 30 hours a week and I would definitely quit if you could offer me what P is offering. And he said okay.

Great news! Best of luck at the new place!

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

RETAIL RETAIL LISTEN TO ME BITCH ABOUT RETAIL
:rant:

silversiren posted:

I know you don't know me, but :glomp: from goon to goon. Glad everything's better for you! :D

I kinda got pumped today when I was almost done recovering the store around close and the AMOD comes into the aisle to check how I'm doing and starts blocking the other side of the food aisle for me. Store's empty, so we're bullshitting and she's bitching about not being able to get anything done because one of the full-time AMs and the store manager kept calling her. Apparently it came up that the store manager thinks I'm pretty good at recovery. It was a confidence-booster and made me smile and work a little harder.

I've done pretty much everything an associate (i.e. cashier/stocker) can do, and one of the other cashiers, who's been there 12 times as long as me, hasn't been assigned other things to do as consistently as I have. She's stocked maybe once, but she has yet to recover.

I kinda hope my manager is preparing me for a promotion. Especially since while I was stocking yesterday, I also had a register in case I was needed, and the SLOWEST cashier there was on...yeah. I had to keep running back and forth between the endcaps and the register, and it's the same exact things the MODs have to do. Coincidence?

Probably.

vortmax
Sep 24, 2008

In meteorology, vorticity often refers to a measurement of the spin of horizontally flowing air about a vertical axis.

D34THROW posted:

I had a good day today! Got pulled off register because all 3 of us on register had our thumbs up our asses, and I was pretty much told "Clear these two endcaps, put this poo poo up front with the rest of the summer stuff, put this poo poo in a shopping cart and in L's aisle for her to deal with, then grab these baskets from the back and put them here and then grab the pile of educational crap from the back and put them here."

So I put together two displays, one for pastel-colored plastic woven baskets (keeping color consistent by column as sizes changed from shelf to shelf) and 3 would-be floor displays that my manager had me put on pegs instead. First time ever doing this and I barely know what the crap I'm doing. But I think the teacher-stuff display turned out pretty good. Any suggestions for next time from helpful goons?

Back about 10 years ago when I worked at Hobby Lobby as a cashier (and oh the stories I could tell of that place, if I remembered any of them clearly), I loved being sent to build endcaps. I really had no idea what I was doing the first time, either, but I got really good at it. (Being able to go to the fabric dept. for a good background on it was nice, too.) I think yours look pretty good!

Kerfuffle
Aug 16, 2007

The sky calls to us~

silversiren posted:

:3: Good luck with everything, you deserve it.

CUMGUARD
Nov 22, 2004

Aw, hell no! What's up, dog?

SlaveToTheGrinds posted:

gently caress yeah 96% on our store review today. Uggh now I can finally relax for a minute. Gem from one of my co workers afterward "We really should keep up on this stuff when he isn't coming in.". NO loving poo poo SHERLOCK. Uggh. In other news husband talked to the boss to back me up on cutting my days down to four or five and this seems like a real possibility. We'll see what happens. Now to find someone to do it that isn't a moron or great at the start and then starts sucking.
Thank God!!! You've got to be fuckin firm on this poo poo, once they start to realize that they can't play you like they have been, your life will suddenly get a WHOLE lot easier!!!

silversiren posted:

This is loving AWESOME!!! If anyone in here deserves something like that, it's you. I don't know you and you don't know me, but I'm incredibly happy for you, congratulations!!!

D34THROW posted:

I know you don't know me, but from goon to goon. Glad everything's better for you!

I kinda got pumped today when I was almost done recovering the store around close and the AMOD comes into the aisle to check how I'm doing and starts blocking the other side of the food aisle for me. Store's empty, so we're bullshitting and she's bitching about not being able to get anything done because one of the full-time AMs and the store manager kept calling her. Apparently it came up that the store manager thinks I'm pretty good at recovery. It was a confidence-booster and made me smile and work a little harder.

I've done pretty much everything an associate (i.e. cashier/stocker) can do, and one of the other cashiers, who's been there 12 times as long as me, hasn't been assigned other things to do as consistently as I have. She's stocked maybe once, but she has yet to recover.

I kinda hope my manager is preparing me for a promotion. Especially since while I was stocking yesterday, I also had a register in case I was needed, and the SLOWEST cashier there was on...yeah. I had to keep running back and forth between the endcaps and the register, and it's the same exact things the MODs have to do. Coincidence?

Probably.
Well I don't want to dash your hopes here man, but this is sounding awfully similar to what I went through the first year or two at my current job (that I'm leaving.) They make all KINDS of loving promises, put you in the position where you start doing the jobs of other people that make more than you, and let you just think to yourself that a promotion is right around the loving corner. Well, in my case at least, it was just a convenient opportunity to actually get someone in a particular position who knows what the gently caress they are doing and won't gently caress EVERYTHING up constantly, and yet, not have to PAY them for DOING said position.

YMMV.

copy of a
Mar 13, 2010

by zen death robot
Thank you guys. Even coming from internet strangers, the encouragement means a ton.

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

CUMGUARD posted:

Well I don't want to dash your hopes here man, but this is sounding awfully similar to what I went through the first year or two at my current job (that I'm leaving.) They make all KINDS of loving promises, put you in the position where you start doing the jobs of other people that make more than you, and let you just think to yourself that a promotion is right around the loving corner. Well, in my case at least, it was just a convenient opportunity to actually get someone in a particular position who knows what the gently caress they are doing and won't gently caress EVERYTHING up constantly, and yet, not have to PAY them for DOING said position.

YMMV.

I appreciate the honesty, actually. I know I'm optimistic, but hey, if I wasn't, I'd already have taken the alcohol in softlines, soaked the floor with it, and burned the place down.

All employees at associate level, that is, below part-time assistant manager level, get paid the same $7.67 an hour, so I'm not really losing any wages.

This week, my schedule was SM cashiering, TW recovering, and F cashiering, closing TWF. I'd be more than happy to settle into this schedule weekly, taking Sunday or Monday night to stock instead of cashier, because moving around and stocking/recovering is a lot more interesting than "Hi, how you doin' this evening? I'm well, thanks. Alrighty, $X.XX is your total. Out of $Y.YY. And $Z.ZZ is your change. You have a wonderful evening!" Rinse and repeat.

poo poo, I just want to become a jack-of-all-trades, so that if and when I DO leave the company, I have all of it on my resume and it indicates I can do at least 3 different jobs effectively, AM experience or not.

Another crazy customer story. I was checking a guy out tonight when the closing cashier needed help when I realize I saw him with a wife and kid in the health/beauty aisle about 10 minutes ago. Then I hear a thud on the door. I look over and there's his wife crouching down and his son about 4 feet from the door.

The kid runs at the door, hits his head against the "Everything's $1!" sign, and makes the same thud. The mother sits there laughing. The gently caress is wrong with parents? :psyduck:

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

D34THROW posted:

The kid runs at the door, hits his head against the "Everything's $1!" sign, and makes the same thud. The mother sits there laughing. The gently caress is wrong with parents? :psyduck:

You know what? If I had done something that mind-numbingly stupid, my dad probably would've laughed, too.

spixxor
Feb 4, 2009

Neito posted:

You know what? If I had done something that mind-numbingly stupid, my dad probably would've laughed, too.

I would laugh too but I wouldn't let my daughter just carry on doing it repeatedly.

Dead Pikachu
Mar 25, 2007

I wish you were real.
I'm working 24.5 hours next week and the other full timers are working 28 and under. Doesn't full time mean above 32-34 hours? This is the least amount of hours I've gotten since I've been promoted. I hope they start increasing hours or else Kmart is on it's way out sooner rather than later. My coworker that's directly under me is only working 2 days next week and they aren't even full days.

Apparently the GM was there last week and bitched about people not getting anything done. Well duh, look at the schedule.

edit: it's impossible for me to do my job with such short shifts. It takes me nearly 4 hours to do two aisles of scanning inventory. Not to mention I have to cover people's breaks because there's no one else there to do it.

Dead Pikachu fucked around with this message at 16:34 on Mar 14, 2012

Broken Butterfly
Nov 6, 2010
Well, this week my application to Gamestop goes in. Not only is this the first time I'll be working retail, but my first job ever (seeing as I was one of those lucky assholes who got into college while still in high school and all). Maybe I'll have stories for you soon!

Help me, I'm scared. :(

Rick_Hunter
Jan 5, 2004

My guys are still fighting the hard fight!
(weapons, shields and drones are still online!)

silversiren posted:

Thank you guys. Even coming from internet strangers, the encouragement means a ton.

As my own fortune proves, there's always a light at the end of the tunnel.

modeski
Apr 21, 2005

Deceive, inveigle, obfuscate.

Broken Butterfly posted:

Well, this week my application to Gamestop goes in. Not only is this the first time I'll be working retail, but my first job ever (seeing as I was one of those lucky assholes who got into college while still in high school and all). Maybe I'll have stories for you soon!

Good luck. Remember - only work as hard as your colleagues, you'll gain nothing by being exceptional. Also remember that customers will lie to your face.

spixxor
Feb 4, 2009

Broken Butterfly posted:

Gamestop was my first job too. :) As I recall, it was pretty ok. I don't know if they still do it, but we were allowed to check out games and put aside stuff we wanted to buy, which was neat. I hope they've updated their computers though, the ones at mine were old as gently caress and kind of confusing for a retail newbie.

I ended up quitting after a couple of months though, due to some fuckery with my coworkers and a new manager. We had to call at the beginning of the week to get our schedules and I was told I was off on a day that I was supposed to work, which resulted in a no call no show. Then the manager "couldn't decide" if I was fired and refused to schedule me until he made up his mind. After two weeks of calling daily just to be told "well I don't know yet" I said gently caress it and quit.

I still think the dude that told me I was off lied on purpose because he resented me loving up their little group-there was only two people in the store at any given time and I guess no one wanted to work with the new girl instead of their friends. :( They ended up being robbed and closing not too long afterwards anyway, so gently caress 'em.

Tldr: loving Gamestop.

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

silversiren posted:

I'm late to the party but :woop:

Ygolonac
Nov 26, 2007

pre:
CLUTCH  NIXON

The Hero We Need

modeski posted:

Good luck. Remember - only work as hard as your colleagues, you'll gain nothing by being exceptional. Also remember that customers management cow-orkers random strangers everyone will lie to your face.

CatStacking
Jan 9, 2010

~A Purely Preposterous Pussy~

D34THROW posted:

Oh, God, I can't believe I forgot this.

I was pushing a U-boat of product to shelf today when I smelled dryer sheets. Now, I had to pass by the fabric softener to get to where I was shelving said product, so I wrote it off as a box being open. Let the recovery crew handle it.

Then I smelled it again when an older lady passed me working. Okay, maybe she's got some in her cart. Then I smelled it several more times when I had to run and grab more pegs, and a couple of those times, she wasn't even near her cart.

The smell was literally bad enough to make my head hurt. Jesus gently caress, what do you have to do to smell like that? It's like she stuffed her cooch with dryer sheets or lined her clothes with them or something equally obnoxious.

We have a regular at DollarDrama who often comes in...he's not mentally okay though I have no clue what his deal is. He barely talks and looks like Hagrid from Harry Potter.

He always wears the same ripped/stained clothes and buys ridiculous amounts of bread. Sometimes candy. Never soap. And he really should because he smells like somebody slapped a leper with a colostomy bag. I'm not even exagerating.

When the cashiers see him coming (we've named him UniStink...) we all try to find excuses NOT to be on cash. He honestly smells like...like if a girl went her whole period without changing her pad or something. No cashier can deal with him without visibly gagging. Sometimes he has milk crusties in his beard.

I would take dryer sheet lady in an instant over UniStink.

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

cuntvalet posted:

We have a regular at DollarDrama who often comes in...he's not mentally okay though I have no clue what his deal is. He barely talks and looks like Hagrid from Harry Potter.

He always wears the same ripped/stained clothes and buys ridiculous amounts of bread. Sometimes candy. Never soap. And he really should because he smells like somebody slapped a leper with a colostomy bag. I'm not even exagerating.

When the cashiers see him coming (we've named him UniStink...) we all try to find excuses NOT to be on cash. He honestly smells like...like if a girl went her whole period without changing her pad or something. No cashier can deal with him without visibly gagging. Sometimes he has milk crusties in his beard.

I would take dryer sheet lady in an instant over UniStink.

Oh, I've mentioned our UniStink kind of guy, the big fat guy with bottle glasses and a bucket hat. He smells like stale BO and booze, and thankfully that's about the worse we get. Thank God I can hold my breath for most of the 2 minutes at most a transaction with him lasts. I read so many stinky customer stories on here and I know my day is just coming...

He's nice enough, just needs to swap maybe 3 out of the 6 bottles of mouthwash he buys a week in exchange for some Mean Green, Brillo pads, and deodorant.

CatStacking
Jan 9, 2010

~A Purely Preposterous Pussy~

D34THROW posted:

Oh, I've mentioned our UniStink kind of guy, the big fat guy with bottle glasses and a bucket hat. He smells like stale BO and booze, and thankfully that's about the worse we get. Thank God I can hold my breath for most of the 2 minutes at most a transaction with him lasts. I read so many stinky customer stories on here and I know my day is just coming...

He's nice enough, just needs to swap maybe 3 out of the 6 bottles of mouthwash he buys a week in exchange for some Mean Green, Brillo pads, and deodorant.

We've actually had customers in line comment on UniStink when he leaves, asking us, "Did that man just poo poo himself?"

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

cuntvalet posted:

We've actually had customers in line comment on UniStink when he leaves, asking us, "Did that man just poo poo himself?"

Okay, you win.

I covered every shift I was called in for during the Christmas rush and now I always get called first when someone calls in sick. Today, the 2-6 cashier calls in sick. So my manager calls me.

Bear in mind, this is at 11:30. I slept like poo poo last night and finally fell asleep around 7 AM. I tell him this.

Then he says my shift tonight is canceled because he has to cut hours. Am I paranoid in thinking this was retaliatory? Our DM is on his rear end about cutting hours, but I had 20 hours this week, which is exactly right for part-time.

Should've just taken the extra shift. Never mind that I'd only have 5 hours of sleep tops, then ride a bike to work during the lunchtime rush hour, then handle cash when I'm tired as gently caress.

Last time I did that, 2 guys on one shift handed me a $20 and I literally saw it as a $10, input it as a $10, put it in the $10 slot, and gave them back his change on a $10, only to have him say I was wrong, me doubt him, call my manager over, get a no-sale, and see a $20 jammed in the drat $10 slot.

Only 3 months and I'm twice as ranty as I was last Thanksgiving.

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

D34THROW posted:

Okay, you win.

I covered every shift I was called in for during the Christmas rush and now I always get called first when someone calls in sick. Today, the 2-6 cashier calls in sick. So my manager calls me.

Bear in mind, this is at 11:30. I slept like poo poo last night and finally fell asleep around 7 AM. I tell him this.

Then he says my shift tonight is canceled because he has to cut hours. Am I paranoid in thinking this was retaliatory? Our DM is on his rear end about cutting hours, but I had 20 hours this week, which is exactly right for part-time.

Should've just taken the extra shift. Never mind that I'd only have 5 hours of sleep tops, then ride a bike to work during the lunchtime rush hour, then handle cash when I'm tired as gently caress.

Last time I did that, 2 guys on one shift handed me a $20 and I literally saw it as a $10, input it as a $10, put it in the $10 slot, and gave them back his change on a $10, only to have him say I was wrong, me doubt him, call my manager over, get a no-sale, and see a $20 jammed in the drat $10 slot.

Only 3 months and I'm twice as ranty as I was last Thanksgiving.

"I slept like crap" is not really a good excuse (especially considering most managers don't consider simultaneous swine flu, food poisoning and dysentery a valid excuse), so always have something handy like "I've got an appointment with the eye doctor/dentist/college advisor/etc." so there's a direct conflict and not just "I don't feel like it." This way if he does this retaliatory bullshit you can call him out for being the petty dick that he is.

CUMGUARD
Nov 22, 2004

greazeball posted:

"I slept like crap" is not really a good excuse (especially considering most managers don't consider simultaneous swine flu, food poisoning and dysentery a valid excuse), so always have something handy like "I've got an appointment with the eye doctor/dentist/college advisor/etc." so there's a direct conflict and not just "I don't feel like it." This way if he does this retaliatory bullshit you can call him out for being the petty dick that he is.
Agreed. In a perfect world, you wouldn't have to make up lies to justify why you aren't coming in on your day off/coming in hours early, with only about 90 minutes notice. But this isn't the perfect world. This is RETAIL. Whether or not that shift getting cut was actually retaliatory and not just a coincidence, i couldn't begin to tell you. At MY work, despite how horrible a lot of things about that are, that poo poo would not go down. They might try to make you come in, and they might try to guilt you when you say no, but if you stand firm, that's the end of it. On the other hand, based on some of the stories in this thread (and its parents) this being a petty retaliatory measure against something you were perfectly justified in doing is NOT out of the realm of possibility. This will all depend on the workplace though, so no one will be able to tell you what's going on better than you can sniff things out for yourself, but I'd stay on my toes if I were you, just in case. (This is obviously directed at D34THROW, not you, but I wanted to quote you instead because I agree with you!)

Broken Butterfly
Nov 6, 2010

modeski posted:

Good luck. Remember - only work as hard as your colleagues, you'll gain nothing by being exceptional.

Noted. It helps that I actually want to work in this place because I've been shopping there exclusively for 5+ years to the point that I recognize all the employees and they smile when I come in.

After lurking in this thread for so long I'm approaching it with a mindset of "I will do the job they are paying me to do, but gently caress it, they aren't worth me going above and beyond unless they don't treat me like poo poo."

Ygolonac posted:

Good luck. Remember - only work as hard as your colleagues, you'll gain nothing by being exceptional. Also remember that customers management co-workers random strangers everyone will lie to your face.

I bet it's just nerves but this made me snicker. :)

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

greazeball posted:

I do agree that in retrospect, "I slept like crap" is a bad excuse. Should have come up with something better, but I'm bad at on-the-spot poo poo like that. I can also see the other side of the coin, where he was cutting my shift anyway and was just giving me a chance to come in and make the same $31 today.

Then again, you can make up any bullshit excuse with this guy as long as you're not already at work and he's like "Whatever." I haven't exactly mentioned the fact that my manager always sounds...deadpan and emotionless unless he's extremely happy or extremely angry.

The one and only time I called in sick, I had felt like crap for two days prior and woke up that day, 3 hours before my shift, only to spend the next 2 hunched over a toilet. I called him and told him and he was just like "Eh, it's going around. Not a biggie." Bugs me being one of the only cashiers that will come in when they're sick as a dog simply so someone doesn't have to cover my shift. (We keep a bottle of sanitizer and possibly alcohol at each register, so I just use the hell out of it on those days.

Having a manager like that is a double-edged sword, I guess.

CUMGUARD
Nov 22, 2004

D34THROW posted:

I do agree that in retrospect, "I slept like crap" is a bad excuse. Should have come up with something better, but I'm bad at on-the-spot poo poo like that. I can also see the other side of the coin, where he was cutting my shift anyway and was just giving me a chance to come in and make the same $31 today.

Then again, you can make up any bullshit excuse with this guy as long as you're not already at work and he's like "Whatever." I haven't exactly mentioned the fact that my manager always sounds...deadpan and emotionless unless he's extremely happy or extremely angry.

The one and only time I called in sick, I had felt like crap for two days prior and woke up that day, 3 hours before my shift, only to spend the next 2 hunched over a toilet. I called him and told him and he was just like "Eh, it's going around. Not a biggie." Bugs me being one of the only cashiers that will come in when they're sick as a dog simply so someone doesn't have to cover my shift. (We keep a bottle of sanitizer and possibly alcohol at each register, so I just use the hell out of it on those days.

Having a manager like that is a double-edged sword, I guess.
In that case, I'd say you're probably not being hosed around. Again, this is just a guess, you're the one who actually knows these people and interacts with them on the daily, but if they were that cool with you calling off, I highly doubt they'd gently caress you like this. On the other hand, the possibility you mentioned, where the shift was getting cut either way and he was just trying to help you out by giving you other hours, that same thought actually occurred to me, but then I thought to myself, "if that were the case, then he probably would have told him. something like 'look i know you're not scheduled to come in right now, but x cashier just called off and we really need someone. also, your shift tonight is cut so if you want any hours today, this is it.'"

Up front. Right there, putting it all out there for you to make your decision. That's how I would THINK it should go. Again, this isn't the land of common sense and logic, this is RETAIL.

Psyker
Jun 21, 2004

[Binge and] Purge the xenos!
After 9 years in retail (and that's not including 3 years at a supermarket prior) I believe I'm starting to hit the wall.

The problem with retail isn't the corporate structuring, the subtle and blatant attempts at brainwashing to distract from oversights, or the neutral wording in documents to hide that they are really stingy, awful companies to work for - It's the lack of feeling fulfilled.

As anyone in this thread knows, there's a few things with retail that are somewhat universal:
  • Hours fluctuate. My store is open early to late, and I'm expected to be available throughout (and beyond).
  • "We pay 15% more wages than our competition does" is a very clever way of saying that our new hires are going to make ~$10/hour to start as opposed to $9/hour. Which is still horrible.
  • Individual stores have no micro-control over their store. Corporate decides. Stores are deluded into believing they have a modicum of control.
  • Everyone is replaceable. I cannot count how many friends I've seen hired, and quit/fired for arbitrary policy breaches or inability to deal with the tedium.

Aside from my immediate financial needs, I just cannot find any reason to stick with the company that I work for anymore. I'm happy they never adopted a Best Buy-esque "metrics or die" philosophy, but the decisions and outright inefficiencies in structure makes common sense rebel.

In the past year, I've sent emails (from my personal email) to various higher members of the company in various departments suggestions to improve the company at minimal costs. I've received responses, and hilariously the IT branch seem to be the most realistic about my suggestions.

Recently I was in one of my manager's log-ins on the store PC's (with permission), and found I could dig into the actual system folders (which normal associates are restricted off of). My findings? Our Vista-running PC's with first gen i5 processors have 512mb's of memory - half of Vista's requirements (sidenote: Vista? Come on). Most controllable gripes in day to day as a supervisor comes from the fact that our systems are "slow," "freeze," or "crash." They do. So I took it upon myself to see that to upgrade the PC's in the company (rough guess at amount of total PC's) would run the company about $1.5 Million. For a company that pulled several billion in profits last year with minimal new store openings, it seemed like a no brainer. The director of IT responded to my email with (paraphrasing) "Trust me, we know. We tried for 5 years to get upgraded units in stores, succeeded, and found after they placed the order that someone higher had lowered memory deliberately."

Why would any company, for a minimal investment, not want to increase productivity and decrease employee aggravation?

tl;dr - Retail is an unrewarding chore a of a job.

copy of a
Mar 13, 2010

by zen death robot
I had more fun today in my 8 hrs at TW than I have in my almost two years at P. I also got free coffee from the Starbucks next door, just for working at TW! I love this job!

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

silversiren posted:

I had more fun today in my 8 hrs at TW than I have in my almost two years at P. I also got free coffee from the Starbucks next door, just for working at TW! I love this job!

In fairness, paying actual money for the swill that comes out of Starbucks would have been deeply unjust.

But congratulations on finally having a job you can enjoy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CUMGUARD
Nov 22, 2004

silversiren posted:

TW doesn't stand for Totally Wicked, does it? I can't remember if you actually posted the name of the place in here. If it does stand for that and you don't want to post publicly, pm me please, I have some questions!