Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Samurai Sanders posted:

Wow...do you think you guys might be selling it up a little too much? Transcendental, outside of any known frame of reference experiences aren't something I have gotten from any game ever. Are you guys saying you get transcendental experiences from games regularly or that this thing is somehow above and beyond every game you have ever played?

edit: I mean if it is, I apologize, but I've bought lots of downloadable games based on strong, strong, strong recommendations here, and still not gotten much out of them.

I don't think I am selling it up at all and you may have noticed, we seem to have pretty similar taste in games for whatever that's worth.

I wasn't even really expecting much (I honestly got bored with Flower after 15 minutes) and I am seriously blown away by Journey.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheKeeper
Jul 18, 2003

Quantum Shit

Samurai Sanders posted:

Wow...do you think you guys might be selling it up a little too much? Transcendental, outside of any known frame of reference experiences aren't something I have gotten from any game ever. Are you guys saying you get transcendental experiences from games regularly or that this thing is somehow above and beyond every game you have ever played?

edit: I mean if it is, I apologize, but I've bought lots of downloadable games based on strong, strong, strong recommendations here, and still not gotten much out of them.

I don't think we're being over the top in our descriptions and the verbiage therein. Just read some of the reviews I linked in my post. The experience of playing through it was completely and totally unexpected. It does so much with so little.

Have you ever listened to a piece of music, closed your eyes and just let yourself get swept away by it? It's kind of like that.

That being said I now think we're (I'm) doing a disservice to the game. When I played it I had no idea what to expect and was thus very moved by it. I don't know if my reaction would be the same had I read some of the reviews and this thread and went in to it expecting it to be great.

Puddin
Apr 9, 2004
Leave it to Brak

Nierbo posted:

Can someone tell me if tyres wear out on GT5? Like the past few races my zonda seems really skittish and I couldn't find an option to replace the tyres with new ones. I went into the store and tried to buy the same tyres for it but it said they were already installed. Maybe I'm imagining it but it doesn't grip like it used to. I haven't tuned it. Only gave it a paint job. Is there some way to re-tread the tyres or am I just making it up?

They wear in a race but it resets every time you finish. There's no continuous wear that accumulates.

Besides the Zonda slides out as soon as you put any gas down. Its like its on ice.

the_american_dream
Apr 12, 2008

GAHDAMN

Samurai Sanders posted:

Yea I now dont want to get Journey mainly because I know I wont enjoy it a fifth as much as most in this thread

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche
I feel the same, I'd just be overly cynical about it if I got it now.

Thanks for ruining the best game I'll never experience in my life, you jerks. :mad:

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Sega USA gets all dodgy and teasing about Shenmue and Skies of Arcadia as the next possible Dreamcast HD re-releases

Please, Sega. Let me retire my Dreamcast.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Dark Souls for $18

Who knows if even I can resist that price.

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

I tried Dark Souls for like 15 minutes before giving up. As I've gotten older I've started to like easier and easier games and just couldn't stand dying so much.

I'm a bad person.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

spidoman posted:

I tried Dark Souls for like 15 minutes before giving up. As I've gotten older I've started to like easier and easier games and just couldn't stand dying so much.

I'm a bad person.

Dark Souls is one of those games where I enjoy playing it and the style and flow of it is awesome, but I get frustrated and turn the game off and play other things for months at a time. Then I have to work up the urge to get in the mood to play it again, because its not a game that you can play for just 15 minutes and just stop.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend
So is Journey one of those games I should play the first week it's out?

the_american_dream
Apr 12, 2008

GAHDAMN

EC posted:

Depends on how fast you want your life to be changed

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

the_american_dream posted:

Depends on how fast you want your life to be changed
Are you really that emotionally unstable that an hour and a half long video game will change your life?

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend
I was more talking about the multiplayer stuff. I haven't read too much about the game, but I remember reading that there's a neat MP component.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

Crows Turn Off posted:

Are you really that emotionally unstable that an hour and a half long video game will change your life?

I'm not emotionally unstable, but Dark Souls has changed my life. I used to have a 360 that played a variety of games, now I only have a Dark Souls Machine.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer

EC posted:

The multiplayer will likely start to taper off pretty quickly and it adds alot so the sooner the better really.

Alabama Blacksnake
Aug 9, 2005

But it ain't too goddamned beaucoup.
Journey is really good and absolutely worth $15, please don't weigh the purchase of it on a dollars-per-hour value proposition or whatever.

Also, stop reading other people's impressions of the game (until after you've played it), they are almost guaranteed to be ridiculous and overwrought.

Ape Agitator
Feb 19, 2004

Soylent Green is Monkeys
College Slice

Harlock posted:

Dark Souls for $18

Well, it's been proven definitively that I can't.

Thanks for the heads up!

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

axleblaze posted:

The multiplayer will likely start to taper off pretty quickly and it adds alot so the sooner the better really.
Hm...this is the first concrete reason I have heard to consider buying it at this price. Still dunno if I will do it, but it's something.

Alabama Blacksnake posted:

Journey is really good and absolutely worth $15, please don't weigh the purchase of it on a dollars-per-hour value proposition or whatever.

Also, stop reading other people's impressions of the game (until after you've played it), they are almost guaranteed to be ridiculous and overwrought.
How are we supposed to not read other people's overwrought impressions if they are in a general thread like this one?

the truth
Dec 16, 2007

Samurai Sanders posted:

Hm...this is the first concrete reason I have heard to consider buying it at this price. Still dunno if I will do it, but it's something.

At this point, the amount of time you have spent questioning the purchase is worth more than the $15 the game costs. poo poo or get off the pot.

Harlock posted:

Dark Souls for $18

That's a great price, but I probably won't get to play it for about a year and a half so I may as well hold off and buy it new so the devs get the support, not some company I already know is lovely.

MrBuddyLee
Aug 24, 2004
IN DEBUT, I SPEW!!!
Journey is lovely, guys. It's a good deal at $7.50, and an ok one at $15, so please gameshare it with someone.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

the truth posted:

At this point, the amount of time you have spent questioning the purchase is worth more than the $15 the game costs. poo poo or get off the pot.
Yeah...you're right. If I'm thinking about it this much I guess it means that I will break down and buy it eventually. I'll try it but I'm not expecting a life-changing experience or anything.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

Wow we have a pissing-in-a-cup quality game on our hands people. Quit your jobs, kill your family, and go play Journey, apparently.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

ChetReckless
Sep 16, 2009

That is precisely the thing to do, Avatar.
I really don't know why people get so offended when other people find a game sincerely emotionally affecting. Is there just a natural reaction where there are those who feel its their duty to counteract the hype machine? Alternatively, why do people get so offended when other people don't want to buy the game sight-unseen even if its not their 'type' of game? It's entirely possible, even reasonable, for some people not to like Journey. Not really talking about anyone specifically here, but across the internet as a whole with this stuff. Even the value discussion can get a little silly, as it is so dependent on personal situation. (For example, I share my life and TV time with my girlfriend and son, so most games take me at least a couple of weeks to finish, if not more. I'm far from rich but I make enough money that $15 is something I really don't have to think too long and hard about on an infrequent basis. So Journey is pretty much right in my sweet spot. Yours? Maybe not.)

I played through Journey and thought it was fantastic -- one of the most purely enjoyable gaming sessions I've had in a while, actually. No crying, but a definitely sense of satisfaction. But that said, I can think of a few people I know who would hate it at any price. It is a beautiful game, visually, and the story it tells is simple and sparingly told (in a good way). It's also the most satisfying (public) co-op experience I've had, even without direct communication -- or maybe because of the lack of direct communication. If that sounds like something that you would like and $15 doesn't break the bank, I'd say you should probably play it.

edit: Also, the soundtrack is pretty great and fits the game perfectly.

ChetReckless fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Mar 14, 2012

JGTheSpy
Jul 31, 2002
Excuse me, but if I could have a moment of your time, I'd like to explain why you're not actually enjoying that game that you're enjoying. You see, I am in fact an expert. At games. I know, it's impressive.
It cost me $10 to park at the Natural History Museum and another $8 to go inside last weekend. Journey was way more fun than that entire museum (ok maybe not the dinosaurs) and $3 cheaper to boot. What a dumb loving conversation.

Agrias120
Jun 27, 2002

I will burn my dread.

JGTheSpy posted:

It cost me $10 to park at the Natural History Museum and another $8 to go inside last weekend. Journey was way more fun than that entire museum (ok maybe not the dinosaurs) and $3 cheaper to boot. What a dumb loving conversation.

You should go to the one in DC bro, it is pretty sweet. If I could remote play Journey via my Vita while at the museum, it would probably be the poo poo.

JGTheSpy
Jul 31, 2002
Excuse me, but if I could have a moment of your time, I'd like to explain why you're not actually enjoying that game that you're enjoying. You see, I am in fact an expert. At games. I know, it's impressive.

Agrias120 posted:

You should go to the one in DC bro, it is pretty sweet. If I could remote play Journey via my Vita while at the museum, it would probably be the poo poo.

Yeah I loved that place to death when I was a kid. I'm a couple thousand miles too far away now :(

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Well, I finished it. Just the fact that I DID finish it means it's my favorite "experience" type game I have ever played. I got emotionally invested in what was happening and wanted to see it through, and for a few moments here and there I forgot about all the other things I needed to do today. I don't know if I am sold on the genre as a whole, and I don't think I would replay it, but I'm glad I played it once.

As for the price, it's kind of like the five dollar milkshake thing in Pulp Fiction. I've Vincent Vega trying to reconcile the fact that I really enjoyed that with the fact that I have an immediate bad reaction to the price.

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Mar 14, 2012

Baggot
Sep 9, 2009

Hail to the King, baby.

I am happy to hear you liked it. :)

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

As for "genre", I completely agree. Much more and it will be as stale as yet-another-military-themed-shooter-4!.

Part of why Journey stands out and is great is because of the novelty.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Samurai Sanders posted:

Well, I finished it. Just the fact that I DID finish it means it's my favorite "experience" type game I have ever played. I got emotionally invested in what was happening and wanted to see it through, and for a few moments here and there I forgot about all the other things I needed to do today. I don't know if I am sold on the genre as a whole, and I don't think I would replay it, but I'm glad I played it once.

As for the price, it's kind of like the five dollar milkshake thing in Pulp Fiction. I've Vincent Vega trying to reconcile the fact that I really enjoyed that with the fact that I have an immediate bad reaction to the price.

Motherfucking SMUGFACE pointed right at ya!

:)

Glad you enjoyed it.

Tamagod Sushi
Oct 26, 2009

One Bad Muthapaca

Samurai Sanders posted:

:haw: See, that wasn't too bad huh?

What I really enjoy about Journey is that it's a game that understands the experience genre and is so lovingly crafted and fine tuned that there's always a emotional response at the end from the player. It's because of it's simple, top down design with one goal in mind that it becomes intensely focused, and because of that it gains that sense of wonder that can only be found in other games like Flower, Shadow of the Colossus and Limbo.

I've played it three times and enjoyed it all, but really what I find fascinating about it is that introspective about how yourself plays games.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Interestingly, I just last night finished a game that is kind of a hybrid between experience games and, for a lack of a better term, gamey games: El Shaddai. The polish of that game is nothing like Journey's, but I think I'm going to remember it more just because while Journey is beautiful, El Shaddai is beautiful and WEIRD, and because later on it had some significant challenge to the jumping puzzles and combat and those things tend to stick in my head.

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 22:12 on Mar 14, 2012

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

I really liked El Shaddai but after beating it I had absolutely no urge to pick that game up again. It was really bizarre and worth playing just to see how abstract everything got though.

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

Anyone know of any good PSN games for $5 or less?

the_american_dream
Apr 12, 2008

GAHDAMN

Crows Turn Off posted:

~jokes~

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
The jumping puzzles in El-Shaddai were somewhat undermined though by the fact that while you cast a shadow on the world so you know where you are going to land, the world doesn't shadow ITSELF, a platform that is higher than the one you are on that you need to jump to might actually be partially covering the platform you are on, so when you jump up to it you just hit your head on it and fall. Yeah, it has some polish problems.

the_american_dream
Apr 12, 2008

GAHDAMN

Samurai Sanders posted:

Oh wow maybe I should try it after all...

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Samurai Sanders posted:

Interestingly, I just last night finished a game that is kind of a hybrid between experience games and, for a lack of a better term, gamey games: El Shaddai. The polish of that game is nothing like Journey's, but I think I'm going to remember it more just because while Journey is beautiful, El Shaddai is beautiful and WEIRD, and because later on it had some significant challenge to the jumping puzzles and combat and those things tend to stick in my head.

I got this for christmas and i want to finish it but I found the gameplay really dull. Love the style though.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

NESguerilla posted:

I got this for christmas and i want to finish it but I found the gameplay really dull. Love the style though.
I definitely wouldn't have bought it for full price, I waited for it to go down to $20. It was definitely worth that for me. Just repeatedly running pass Lucifer talking to God on his cellphone (and in a bizarrely familiar way, especially in Japanese where that's really significant) is something I don't think I will forget.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

Well they did used be all buddy-buddy, but then they had a Fall-ing out :v:

Puns aside I'm pleased to hear that El Shaddai acutally came toghether as a fun game, the demo was visually cool and mildly entertaining. I'll probably snag that from the bargain bin in the future.

• Locked thread