Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WaffleStomp
May 7, 2007

Vertigo posted:

Thank You. I was was wondering if it was something like a 60/90 minute thing or something more. drat. I loved Sculpin last night when I had it, and was hoping Big Eye would have been a similiar experience (since I can get it)

You might be able to find a case or two if your area gets anything from Bella Vista, who I believe is the only distributor that gets Sculpin cases in. However, the last I checked, cases were going for $90 at the distributor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Who will win the greatest battle of them all?

WaffleStomp posted:

You might be able to find a case or two if your area gets anything from Bella Vista, who I believe is the only distributor that gets Sculpin cases in. However, the last I checked, cases were going for $90 at the distributor.

Is that for 12 bombers, or six packs?

SUPER HASSLER
Jan 31, 2005

running out of space here, and I've still not been to Western CO yet...

WaffleStomp
May 7, 2007

air- posted:

Is that for 12 bombers, or six packs?

Six packs. The price may be cheaper now but I recall it being that much when six pack cases first showed up in Philly.

Paul Proteus
Dec 6, 2007

Zombina says "si hoc legere scis nimium eruditionis habes!"
Drank a Bourbon County Bramble finally with ShaneB and I can't say that I would go out of my way for it again. It wasn't bad at all, it was just super rich and heavy. It was pretty difficult to split the bottle just by two.

It didn't remind me of BCS at all and the fruit was SUPER forward with the first few sips. Then it faded to the back and just left a lingering tartness. It had this rich dark fruit choclatelyness that was really too much by the end of the glass. For the alcohol (13 or 14%?) it was dumb easy to drink though. It pales in comparison to the fresh 2011 BCS.

Then we had a 2008 Arctic Devil Barleywine and a Jolly Pumpkin Biere De Mars Grand Reserve. :smugbert:

Paul Proteus fucked around with this message at 00:04 on Mar 14, 2012

SUPER HASSLER
Jan 31, 2005

Paul Proteus posted:

Drank a Bourbon County Bramble finally with ShaneB

I demand to know if he's like that in real life.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

SUPER HASSLER posted:

I'm actually pretty laid back. I've met a good number of goons that post here. My not giving much of a gently caress doesn't lend itself well to forum posting all the time.

I agree with the assessment of the bramble. It tasted like it was blended with port or something. The fruit got kind of cloying and just stuck in your mouth the whole time.

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe
Looks like I'll be spending St Patty's day in/around Toronto. Any local Canadian brews I need to look out for?

Drank an ommegang abbey ale tonight. You don't need me to tell you it's good stuff. But I can tell you it goes ridiculously well with girl scout cookie thin mints. That hint of mint really brings out a lot of flavor.

Paul Proteus
Dec 6, 2007

SUPER HASSLER posted:

Like what? He does make some snide remarks, but it comes off differently on a message board. He's a cool guy that knows a lot about beer.

I'll be honest, while some of the remarks can be crass, I can't say I don't disagree with the sentiment. As much as I love the beer thread, sometimes the same post over and over again gets a little old. It's the nature of the subject.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

My college's beer bar (in Allentown, PA) opened a tap room in Reading. I've never had the urge to go to that city, but after getting an email from them (I'm still on their email list to remind myself of what I'm missing) about their upcoming events, I kinda want to go there.

quote:

Founders Tap Takeover

Featuring Two Rare Releases!!

Curmudgeons Better Half and KBS

Only One Keg of Curmugeons Better Half To be tapped in this area

Exclusivley at the Liberty Taproom in Reading!!

Thursday March 15th

6pm till 10pm

We will be serving two flights
I don't think I have to tell any of you in the area to go there.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Has anybody ordered beer from http://luekensliquors.com/store/ ?

Tempted to pick up some bottles of Marshall Zhukov's Imperial Stout. $18 shipping for 5 750ml bottles is cheap compared to other sites I've looked at.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Paul Proteus posted:

Like what? He does make some snide remarks, but it comes off differently on a message board. He's a cool guy that knows a lot about beer.

I'll be honest, while some of the remarks can be crass, I can't say I don't disagree with the sentiment. As much as I love the beer thread, sometimes the same post over and over again gets a little old. It's the nature of the subject.

we aren't friends anymore

SUPER HASSLER
Jan 31, 2005

Hohoho. I'm mean 'cos I love (in the beer thread-y kind of way), of course.

In other news, tonight at the local brewery I had a bourbon barrel aged honey black IPA. Wasn't bad. The whole time I thought "Man 20 years ago there woulda been nothing but Coors here..."

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Funky Bottoms is a land man

Y-Hat posted:

Founders Tap Takeover

yeah, a local spot is having one of these next Friday, complete with CBS, so i expect it will be one of their busier nights of the year.

thanks for the ATL-related advice, guys, but lunch coincided with Montgomery, AL, so we stopped at Vine and Filet, instead. not an amazing selection by beer geek standards, but apparently great by AL standards (although the singles case was pathetic). would've been stoked if i still needed FBS, because they had loving cases of it, but instead went with a tasty BLT. the girlfriend picked up some GD Hades, which wasn't bad, but had an odd sort of sweetness that kept me from loving it. good lord i use "but" way too much.

BoredByThis
Jul 13, 2001

Watch out! I'll attract you too!

Paul Proteus posted:

Drank a Bourbon County Bramble finally with ShaneB and I can't say that I would go out of my way for it again. It wasn't bad at all, it was just super rich and heavy. It was pretty difficult to split the bottle just by two.

How could that have been remedied? Hmmmm?

Paul Proteus posted:

Then we had a 2008 Arctic Devil Barleywine and a Jolly Pumpkin Biere De Mars Grand Reserve. :smugbert:

No, really, I wasn't interested in this at all...

Though I've been seriously cutting back on my intake, I did open a 2009 BCS a couple of weeks back. I didn't take notes though, but I do remember it being very good. I'm interested in seeing if the 2007 is still as hot as it was last year.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

BoredByThis posted:

How could that have been remedied? Hmmmm?

No, really, I wasn't interested in this at all...

It was kind of a spontaneous thing, sorry bro. :(

I have more BDMGR, and the Midnight Sun was basically liquid caramel. At least it was carbonated.

CalvinDooglas
Dec 5, 2002

Watch For Fleeing Immigrants
Knocking on wood right now... but I have an interview at Allagash next week to be their new tour guide!

BoredByThis
Jul 13, 2001

Watch out! I'll attract you too!

ShaneB posted:

It was kind of a spontaneous thing, sorry bro. :(

I have more BDMGR, and the Midnight Sun was basically liquid caramel. At least it was carbonated.

Not a problem. I might have to have my man card revoked for this, but I went to see Bring it On the Musical last night and it was was really entertaining.

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

I'll be in Anaheim this weekend for the Bruery Reserve Club event. Are there any bottle shops in the Anaheim/Orange/Tustin area that could supplement the selection at Bruery Provisions?

Paul Proteus
Dec 6, 2007

ShaneB posted:

we aren't friends anymore

Sorry, bro, let me buy you a GUINNESS to cheer you up.

@Bored - We are trying to do something bigger soon, like Shane said this was fairly spontaneous.

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

I have a pretty fucking good palate, passed BJCP and level 2 cicerone which is more than half of you dudes can say, so I don't give a hoot anymore about this toxic community.

SUPER HASSLER posted:

http://i.imgur.com/kSCoT.jpg
running out of space here, and I've still not been to Western CO yet...

I appreciate what you're doing, but gently caress do I find this tacky and annoying.

Barrel Aged BORIS is a pretty drat solid beer. I had the 2011 version and was completely shocked at how mellow it already was. The flavor is heavy on oak and vanilla though it's very light on the bourbon which only shows through as it warms up and blends well with a raisin flavor. I really enjoyed how mellow this was in the very best way possible, everything was well balanced. I recommend it.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Midorka posted:

I appreciate what you're doing, but gently caress do I find this tacky and annoying.

Barrel Aged BORIS is a pretty drat solid beer. I had the 2011 version and was completely shocked at how mellow it already was. The flavor is heavy on oak and vanilla though it's very light on the bourbon which only shows through as it warms up and blends well with a raisin flavor. I really enjoyed how mellow this was in the very best way possible, everything was well balanced. I recommend it.

I'm not disagreeing simply to disagree with you, but I find the regular BORIS both better and cheaper. I also know for a fact that that beer sits in barrels for basically no time at all, so it's more or less a moneymaking thing for them where they can call it BA and crank the price up like $4.

Tastebuds tho.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

ShaneB posted:

I'm not disagreeing simply to disagree with you, but I find the regular BORIS both better and cheaper. I also know for a fact that that beer sits in barrels for basically no time at all, so it's more or less a moneymaking thing for them where they can call it BA and crank the price up like $4.

Tastebuds tho.

Any idea if BORIS Royale spent more time in barrels than their BA BORIS?

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

I have a pretty fucking good palate, passed BJCP and level 2 cicerone which is more than half of you dudes can say, so I don't give a hoot anymore about this toxic community.

ShaneB posted:

Tastebuds tho.

I agree original BORIS is better, I simply was impressed with how mellow the bourbon and oak was though as some barrel aged beers simply become too heavy on oak or bourbon. I guess that makes sense though as you said it spends little time in a barrel. I wouldn't buy it again, but I definitely enjoyed it. Speaking of BORIS, there's two versions at my shop one has the 2008 GABF medal around the neck, the other has an updated one to add 2011. Are there any differences in the newer version compared to the ones that have been shipping or is it still the same old BORIS.

Edit: Wanted to add I actually enjoyed BORIS more than DORIS as well, since we're talking BORIS now.

Munkaboo
Aug 5, 2002

If you know the words, you can join in too
He's bigger! faster! stronger too!
He's the newest member of the Jags O-Line crew!

funkybottoms posted:

yeah, a local spot is having one of these next Friday, complete with CBS, so i expect it will be one of their busier nights of the year.

thanks for the ATL-related advice, guys, but lunch coincided with Montgomery, AL, so we stopped at Vine and Filet, instead. not an amazing selection by beer geek standards, but apparently great by AL standards (although the singles case was pathetic). would've been stoked if i still needed FBS, because they had loving cases of it, but instead went with a tasty BLT. the girlfriend picked up some GD Hades, which wasn't bad, but had an odd sort of sweetness that kept me from loving it. good lord i use "but" way too much.

where

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Kraven Moorhed posted:

Holy gently caress. Thank you so much for this recommendation. Not only was the food fantastic (best we've had all week) but the bottle selection is pretty amazing. La Folie is $11 here, and there's a bunch of Sucaba/Abacus just sitting around and waiting to be bought. The lack of taps disappointed me at first, but they let you pick any "big beer" out of the cooler for $12 is crazy as hell. A 750 of Duchess de Bourgogne with dinner for $12? Wow.

Gah, sounds like they've upped their beer game since the last time I was there, because they did not have New Belgium or anything like Duchesse.

cryme
Apr 9, 2004

by zen death robot
Well, New Belgium only recently entered the MD market. But it's everywhere now.

Paul Proteus
Dec 6, 2007

Midorka posted:

I agree original BORIS is better, I simply was impressed with how mellow the bourbon and oak was though as some barrel aged beers simply become too heavy on oak or bourbon. I guess that makes sense though as you said it spends little time in a barrel. I wouldn't buy it again, but I definitely enjoyed it. Speaking of BORIS, there's two versions at my shop one has the 2008 GABF medal around the neck, the other has an updated one to add 2011. Are there any differences in the newer version compared to the ones that have been shipping or is it still the same old BORIS.

Edit: Wanted to add I actually enjoyed BORIS more than DORIS as well, since we're talking BORIS now.

They released an anniversary version in Chicago with a blue cap and a neck hanger(not sure if this is the one you were talking about). I'd say it was a worse beer but cost more money than the regular.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Paul Proteus posted:

They released an anniversary version in Chicago with a blue cap and a neck hanger(not sure if this is the one you were talking about). I'd say it was a worse beer but cost more money than the regular.

I didn't love the bottle I had, either. It used a different grain bill with euro malts for fanciness.

cyberpunksurvivor
Dec 29, 2011

I am opposed to homosexuality for political reasons
I had a Hangar 18 Orange Wheat beer yesterday at the cafe. I don't know if it was the orange wedge I squeezed into it, but it went flat real quick. Tasted as bad as Blue Moon and Shock Top.

Kudosx
Jun 6, 2006

it's raining zerglings!

Paul Proteus posted:

Yeah, the one with the blue cap is called BORIS 100, and was brewed with different malts. I agree that regular BORIS is the better than both BORIS 100 and BA BORIS.

I do enjoy light barrel aging though, some places over do it way too much and it's hard to taste the actual beer through all the bourbon taste (for me, anyway)

crazyfish
Sep 19, 2002

Kudosx posted:

Yeah, the one with the blue cap is called BORIS 100, and was brewed with different malts. I agree that regular BORIS is the better than both BORIS 100 and BA BORIS.

I do enjoy light barrel aging though, some places over do it way too much and it's hard to taste the actual beer through all the bourbon taste (for me, anyway)

Boulevard BBQ was definitely like this for me though I was a fan of Sixth Glass. Very disappointed.

Jack Skeleton
Dec 7, 2006

cyberpunksurvivor posted:

I had a Hangar 18 Orange Wheat beer yesterday at the cafe. I don't know if it was the orange wedge I squeezed into it, but it went flat real quick. Tasted as bad as Blue Moon and Shock Top.

I had a bomber of their Columbus IPA yesterday and I have to say, it wasn't that great. I enjoy their barrel roll beers and the Double IPA was good. But man was I let down by the Columbus IPA. Also felt it got flat real fast.

Then again, I feel the same way towards Arrogant Bastard. I love the double bastard but the regular version is one I don't even touch.

PoopShipDestroyer
Jan 13, 2006

I think he's ready for a chair
I managed to snag a bottle of Sculpin IPA from the local bar that carries beers that don't get distributed to my area. I'm hoping it's not too old, but I can't translate what I'm assuming is this bullshit date code:

6C122

Anyone know?

Kudosx
Jun 6, 2006

it's raining zerglings!

Jack Skeleton posted:

I had a bomber of their Columbus IPA yesterday and I have to say, it wasn't that great. I enjoy their barrel roll beers and the Double IPA was good. But man was I let down by the Columbus IPA. Also felt it got flat real fast.

I was really disappointed when I read your post at first because I thought you were talking about Columbus Brewing Company's IPA. I then remembered that Columbus is also a type of hops!

Columbus Brewing Company makes a great IPA, by the way.

James Bont
Apr 20, 2007
do you expect me to talk?

bartolimu posted:

I'll be in Anaheim this weekend for the Bruery Reserve Club event. Are there any bottle shops in the Anaheim/Orange/Tustin area that could supplement the selection at Bruery Provisions?
Haven't bothered to go yet but I've had a few recommendations for this place, Hollingshead Deli. They're supposed to be pretty good.

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

RiggenBlaque posted:

I managed to snag a bottle of Sculpin IPA from the local bar that carries beers that don't get distributed to my area. I'm hoping it's not too old, but I can't translate what I'm assuming is this bullshit date code:

6C122

Anyone know?

That reads as fresh before 06/18/(1)2, on their six-month freshness cycle that's not super old, bottled on 1/18/12 and should still be plenty delicious, if not optimal. The upper part is batch number coding for quality control purposes.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

RiggenBlaque posted:

6C122

Anyone know?

That first 6 in the first set of numbers is an "S," it's Sculpin Batch 122 (i.e. SC122), the second date is a "drink by" date coded as 06-18-12. Ballast Point works off of a 6 month date freshness cycle, so it's a little under 2 months from bottling. It seems about average for how fresh we get stuff here that comes from say, Victory or any other East Coast brewery.

In San Diego news, Hess Brewing, a "nanobrewery" that operates out of a tiny, garage like space, is moving to North Park and starting a canning operation. We're going to have two canned craft beer places after Pizza Port opens its cannery next year. Also, about 4 new breweries opened this month. You would think you'd hit market saturation at some point.

Angry Grimace fucked around with this message at 23:38 on Mar 14, 2012

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Funky Bottoms is a land man

Munkaboo posted:

where

oh, at the Vine and File- wait, you mean the Founders thing, huh? Capital Alehouse Innsbrook, which generally has the best selection of the three area locations

quote:

Friday, March 23, 2012 6:00pm until 9:00pm

Founders All Star Night!

We have all the coveted Founders beers for your enjoyment!
Trust us, this is not a night to be missed.

The All Star lineup is as follows:
Founders KBS
Founders Blushing Monk
Founders Backwoods Bastard
Founders Imperial Stout
Founders Double Trouble
Aaaand….
Founders CBS tasters!

Call ahead and make reservations while they are available!
These beers will go quickly so be here for your share!

i have not called about reservations, nor do i know how that works for a place that's tapping beer. now that i'm home and know my schedule, i plan on finding that information out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

quantegy
May 18, 2002

James Bont posted:

Haven't bothered to go yet but I've had a few recommendations for this place, Hollingshead Deli. They're supposed to be pretty good.

I've been in there once, they seem to have nice selection. But - they're only open Mon-Fri.