Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Azure_Horizon posted:

That's the only thing P3 and 4 have over P2 is the gameplay. Everything else, though? A different level entirely.

Sure, but the majority of the time spent in P2 is pretty poorly done dungeon crawling. It's enough that I would consider 3 and especially 4 better games overall.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene

WrightOfWay posted:

Sure, but the majority of the time spent in P2 is pretty poorly done dungeon crawling. It's enough that I would consider 3 and especially 4 better games overall.

I guess it depends on what you value more in a game. The plot drove me to play more in P2, whereas it was the other way around in P3/P4. But the gameplay, although strong, wasn't enough to keep me from being bored in the later games at times.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Yeah I hear the story in P2 is amazing but I really did not like the gameplay and gave up halfway. I'd like to go back to it sometime but I found the battles super boring, in P3 and P4 I always looked forward to the combat and fusing new guys.

Edit: Ironically I did enjoy Strange Journey even with the grindy nature and minimal story

THE AWESOME GHOST fucked around with this message at 08:37 on Mar 14, 2012

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.
I really love pretty much every Persona game except for the original. :shobon: I think 4 is my favorite but it's a really hard decision. I'd probably go 4 > 2 > 3 if you put a gun to my head. Pun unintended.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Azure_Horizon posted:

That's the only thing P3 and 4 have over P2 is the gameplay.

Which is important because P2's gameplay makes it practically unplayable. As much as I love P2's characters and story, I honestly cannot ever summon up any enthusiasm to care since the gameplay is just so terrible.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
P2's gameplay is fine, if a little grindy. I was in it more for the cast/story/music, but I still found myself pretty compelled to min/max poo poo which I always take away as a good thing to have in any JRPG. I felt pretty happy about being able to create an essential perpetual dungeon crawling team since by balancing negotiations and battling you could grind for experience and cards forever. I wish more JRPGs had regenerating SP like P2.

Persona 1 is the game where no amount of good story can save itself from its obnoxious gameplay. Even "better" when that story is buried under a legendary horrific localization.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

I found P2's story gimmick based around rumors to be really interesting, like using them to change elements of the world to your benefit and seeing where the game went with it regarding the narrative. Going from IS and EP to Persona 3 was kind of a letdown.

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008

Nate RFB posted:

Persona 1 is the game where no amount of good story can save itself from its obnoxious gameplay. Even "better" when that story is buried under a legendary horrific localization.

Well, the localization was fixed in the remake (although Mark still dances crazy), and the combat system is hilariously easy to break into pieces and trivialize if it bothers you. :colbert: P1 Best P.

Also, it's really starting to bug me that there's been no news on the Soul Hackers translation since September last year. Every once in a while i check the site again, hoping for some kind of update. I really want to play Soul Hackers in English, basically! :sigh:

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
My favorite part of the first Persona is when you get charm bullets.

What's a persona again? Shoot the enemies with the love guns!!

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

WrightOfWay posted:

Would you please list the Persona game that don't involve tons of poorly done dungeon crawling?

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

Fa la lanky down dilly, motherfuckers.
Those where the gameplay does not boil down to "spam your most powerful spell/fusion" since the first level, and most importantly, those without Demon Negotiation?

MarsDragon
Apr 27, 2010

"You've all learned something very important here: there are things in this world you just can't change!"
That's all of them, dude.

I've never found Persona 2 that bad for gameplay. A lot of people seem to play it like they have to get every Persona, and you really don't. Pact with the most annoying enemies in the dungeon, farm a bunch of Free Tarot, and you should easily have enough. That and learning to use Estoma.

The loading times on P2PIS are pretty shameful, though. Rest of the game is worth it.

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

Fa la lanky down dilly, motherfuckers.
Then I missed the negotiation part of P3 and P4. And no, Social Linking is not even close to the chore that is Demon Negotiation. Similarly, P3 and P4's encounters tend to be more threatening, and call for a bit more finesse than merely spamming your strongest spell. Especially in P4, where it leave you dry on the fourth floor of a 11 floors dungeons.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
Disagree about the threatening aspect (although screw some of the stupid bathhouse bad luck fights!) but that's up to personal skill more than anything. It's really unfair to compare anything to P3/P4 since they were made in a generation where quickly resolvable combat is fairly important (whether it be through difficulty or user interface improvements).

Persona 2 just feels so clunky to play and I was really surprised that they didn't go much further to improving the overall speed of combat.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

Battles are threatening in the PS2 versions of P3 because your allies are all brain dead so it's basically left up to your hero to spam his strongest spell/fusion spell to get rid of enemies as quick as possible.

e: I mean, you can like whatever you want, but let's not pretend that the Persona series has ever been about the careful management of resources. And that's ok, because when Atlus tries to do resource management we get horrific levels of bullshit like in Raidou versus The Soulless Army.

TurnipFritter fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Mar 14, 2012

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
What we really need is a Persona game that uses the Press Turn system.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
Eh, I found the P3 allies to be surprisingly competent except in some extreme situations (MARIN KARIN :argh:). In fact, they seemed a whole lot more potent than the P4 cast (when under player control), though that might just be me imagining things.

Megalixir
Nov 10, 2007

Vanillaware ltd.
I don't have a favourite because I'm not 12 years old. It always fades the rest of the available options on a personal perspective, causing the matter of discussion to turn into "but it has this" and "but it doesn't have this". That flowchart summed it up nicely.

U NO WUT IM SAIYAN
Jan 26, 2003

by angerbeet

Megalixir posted:

I don't have a favourite because I'm not 12 years old. It always fades the rest of the available options on a personal perspective, causing the matter of discussion to turn into "but it has this" and "but it doesn't have this". That flowchart summed it up nicely.

If yain't with us, you're against us :clint: *argues on internet about video games*

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

Nate RFB posted:

Or any SMT that uses the press turn system. None of the battle systems they released after that have been as rewarding as taking a boss' entire turn

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Nate RFB posted:

So "Devil Survivor as a standard MegaTen game", give or take? I mean, it's not what was in Nocturne or DDS, but it's at least closer than what Persona usually has.

KataraniSword fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Mar 14, 2012

Catalina
May 20, 2008

I've played a lot of PSX rpg's in my time, many with horrible, horrible combat (Koudelka! :argh:) so when I tried P2IS Portable, I found the gameplay about average/bearable. It wasn't the gameplay that made me put it down and wander away to other games, it was the :japan:-ishness of it. I realize that's deeply ironic when you consider that I love Persona 3 and Persona 4, but from the way people talk about P2 it seems it turns really deep and thought-provoking. I was kind of expecting that from the get-go and got blindsided by the beginning tone. Persona 3 starts with good gameplay and average storyline/characters, and Persona 4 starts with good characters and above average gameplay. P2ISP is just kind of...average characters, average gameplay, interesting premise that hints things might get better. From what I've heard about it, it's worth picking up again to see how the story evolves, because it seems like it'll have a good payoff, but...eh...it's on my shelf for "whenever I get a PSP that has full function of all the buttons."

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
P2 has such a great cast, but it definitely requires the full IS+EP experience start to finish to really have it all come into perspective. What I liked most about IS particularly is that the entire plot (indeed, the entire conflict) is deeply personal to the characters themselves. You think of pretty much any standard JRPG, and most of the time the story is some incidental external problem that the cast gets roped into because destiny says so. This wasn't the case in P2, and I really felt it added a much needed layer of personality and direct involvement on the part of you, the player. And this was just the first game, EP followed it up with a nearly fully adult cast (!) which closed it out in a really neat way.

The only character bit they dropped the ball on was keeping a silent protagonist, in EP especially it made no sense at all.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

I'm kind of bitter over P2 because the English PSX release of P2:EP has the ending of the first game spoiled on the first page of the manual (kind of out of necessity I guess but still, lovely move). Considering I know what happens at the end of IS is it still worth playing at all?

Authorman
Mar 5, 2007

slamcat

Ryoshi posted:

I'm kind of bitter over P2 because the English PSX release of P2:EP has the ending of the first game spoiled on the first page of the manual (kind of out of necessity I guess but still, lovely move). Considering I know what happens at the end of IS is it still worth playing at all?

IS isn't worth playing even if you don't know the ending. Just find the plot scenes on youtube and if you really want the full experience do something tedious and repetitive for four hours in between watching each video. I would suggest capitalizing/lowercasing all of the folders on your computer one at a time using a poorly calibrated Wii remote and an onscreen keyboard. If that turns out to be too much fun for you, you could always read azure_horizons interminably wrong opinions on persona games, but that is probably best left to the experts.

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene

Authorman posted:

IS isn't worth playing even if you don't know the ending. Just find the plot scenes on youtube and if you really want the full experience do something tedious and repetitive for four hours in between watching each video. I would suggest capitalizing/lowercasing all of the folders on your computer one at a time using a poorly calibrated Wii remote and an onscreen keyboard. If that turns out to be too much fun for you, you could always read azure_horizons interminably wrong opinions on persona games, but that is probably best left to the experts.

Interminably wrong? A lot of people enjoy P2 over the later Persona games.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Haha, what?

Anyway, the collective Persona 2 experience is probably my favorite SMT title(s), or at least extremely close to the top. One of my all-time favorite PSX JRPG titles. Yes I would say it's worth it, just know you're getting into a more grindy PSX-era JRPG sort of game.

As for playing IS with its ending spoiled, there are some people in this thread (or the previous one?) who insisted that it was actually better to play IS after EP. I think that's mostly because that's just how they played it personally since EP of course came out "first" in the states, but it might add an interesting perspective none the less.

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche
How can you guys bear grinding for those tarot cards? I hated that part about P1/2 and still can't get over it.

Dogbutt
Nov 26, 2011

Look at my face.

Krad posted:

How can you guys bear grinding for those tarot cards? I hated that part about P1/2 and still can't get over it.

That is the one part I despised about 2. I never really grinded for cards because I generally went through the game with initial and evolved personas because it felt cooler. I'm serious. The only personas I ever used were Pixie, Pig Guy, and Minotaur. And then everyone's normal, evolved, and ultimate.

MarsDragon
Apr 27, 2010

"You've all learned something very important here: there are things in this world you just can't change!"

Krad posted:

You don't have to because you can coast through pretty much the entire game on what Philemon hands you. Maybe get a Pixie to give to Lisa in the beginning, but other than that you never really need to grind for tarot cards. You can if you want, but seriously. You don't have to.

I keep telling people this and they never seem to get it.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

I didn't mind the negotiation in P2: EP...

...Except for those crazy special negotiations. Those were torturous.

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche

MarsDragon posted:

You don't have to because you can coast through pretty much the entire game on what Philemon hands you. Maybe get a Pixie to give to Lisa in the beginning, but other than that you never really need to grind for tarot cards. You can if you want, but seriously. You don't have to.

But then what's stopping me from just hitting select and auto-battling everything in sight (psp remakes)? Screw it, I'll try it that way anyway.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

Krad posted:

You don't get tarot cards in P1, you get cards that are fused together, which is not unlike every other SMT game with fusion. Except, I guess you don't have a compendium because this was a nineties SMT game.

It's only a problem in P2 is if you try to stock up and horde cards early. I am bad at communicating, so try to bear with me:
Lovers Robin Goodfellow costs 44 Lovers cards to summon. That seems like a lot. The first Lovers demon you come across is Pixie. She'll give you 4 Lovers cards. If you try to grind up cards from her to save up for Robin Goodfellow down the road, then yeah, you're gonna be grinding for a long time. But if you wait until the next Lovers demon comes along (Puck), you'll get 10 cards per contact, so you're already down from having to make eleven contacts to just five. And if you wait until you're running into Robin Goodfellow himself in battle, you'll get 17 cards per contact and you'll only have to make three contacts to be able to afford him.

I think one of the problems is the way the Velvet Room shows personas that are at a far higher level than what you can summon makes people want to start saving up their tarot cards as soon as possible.

MarsDragon posted:

It's worth picking up something that has Photon Cannon for Eikichi later in the game.

MarsDragon
Apr 27, 2010

Krad posted:

But then what's stopping me from just hitting select and auto-battling everything in sight (psp remakes)? Screw it, I'll try it that way anyway.

Nothing, and the PSP remake is easy enough that can probably carry you through the game. Just be sure to get the Customs/Primes/whatever the official name is I forget to get you through Caracol.

TurnipFritter posted:

It's worth picking up something that has Photon Cannon for Eikichi later in the game.

It's worth picking up a few other things too, like Nekomata and something with Estoma, but it's not strictly necessary if you never want to contact with demons at all.

skog
Aug 20, 2009
Just maxed out all my social links on P3P

Rumor around Gekkugan is that Skog's got the dick supreme

U NO WUT IM SAIYAN
Jan 26, 2003

by angerbeet

skog posted:

Just maxed out all my social links on P3P

Rumor around Gekkugan is that Skog's got the dick supreme

Does that come with pico de gallo and sour cream :wink:

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Krad posted:

Tarot card grinding was great since if you balanced it between regular battling you could hang around in a dungeon forever.

For me it was less about getting stronger peronae than it was about getting personae that had specific bonuses. Tech, for example, was always in hot demand, so I tried to balance a team that would constantly boost Tech (as well as offer good Fusion combinations, healing spells, etc.).

I did stop bothering once I got the Greek set though.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
Wow, Devil Survivor 2 does not gently caress around like the first one did. If they had thrown something like the mission with Dubhe on the very first day, I don't know if I would have ever bothered to keep playing. Although I do kind of miss the pacing of the first one. There, it was clear that everyone was still trying to hold onto some remnants of society and civility. Here, you get the rogue demon tamers on the first day.

Pierce
Apr 7, 2007

Fool!

Artix74 posted:

Wow, Devil Survivor 2 does not gently caress around like the first one did.

I had the same reaction. For me the first couple days were tough and then I breezed until the end.

The demon options are awesome. I'm on my 3rd playthrough now and loving the additional fights in NG+.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I'm on day 7 and at this point I'm changing my strategy to Devil Speed + Evil Wave to reach the main enemy. My Phys MC is having a real fun time with all the RF Phys characters and the number of enemy teams with Dragons/Viles(Seriously, gently caress Ronaldo.) Now I'm on the battle with Yamato and even though I can KO most teams in one hit, he is causing me real problems. My main problem is that I cannot grind anywhere. My MC is level 57 but most of the demons are mid to high 40s in free battle.

Also, I missed fate linking three characters fully. Is that going to prevent me from getting a good ending? I am on the Daichi Path