Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Looks like someone forgot his hardhat...

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

Double Fine hit a million in 20 hours, IIRC, so this isn't really on track for that, but who knows if different audiences mean different donation trends. It's already starting very differently with a ton of huge 10k+ donations

That's the trend I imagine that'll go one; fewer but larger donations as the guys and gals who remembered playing this back in the day can now afford more than someone who played Grim Fandango 15 years ago.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:
Wait, remind me. What's keeping the original off GOG?

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

You don't need thumbs for revenge

Dissapointed Owl posted:

EA has the rights to it still and won't budge. I dunno why, I'm pretty sure some of the other older EA titles are on GOG.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Fargo's Twitter posted:

We are leaning towards isometric but we want to show some screens in our forum for fan feedback. You guys are my new boss after all.

I hope we get isometric with a really good tactical combat system. Crouching and cover and maybe some light terrain destruction. Silent Storm style, maybe.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Dissapointed Owl posted:

EA. They retained the rights to the original.

Icept
Jul 11, 2001

GhostDog posted:

I think people should temper their expectations somewhat, otherwise this will only end in a huge backlash. For every 5 games you support this way, only 1 will be really great, 3 will be okay and 1 will be crap.

I'd rather play an "okay" game that challenges the status quo than a game that is considered good but I've played a hundred times already.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA

TheAgent posted:

If only I could pledge $10k since I probably live a few blocks from where the party could happen. Maybe I can crash it Paparazzi style.
Well you had better hurry, only two of the eight $10,000 rewards are left!

Fintilgin posted:

I hope we get isometric with a really good tactical combat system. Crouching and cover and maybe some light terrain destruction. Silent Storm style, maybe.
Several people on the official forums are all JAGGED ALLIANCE 2 COMBAT ENGINE DUPLICATED and then some others like me are like "hey, we loved Jagged Alliance 2 too, but do you really want every combat to take hours to resolve in an RPG?"

RagingBoner
Jan 10, 2006

Real Wood Pencil
Yahoo! is taking notice of Kickstarter as a funding platform, if in a rather crappy way:

http://games.yahoo.com/blogs/plugged-in/millionaire-hits-gamers-fund-game-idea-184034258.html

Edit: dude looks a little Downs'ey, or is it me?

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.

Icept posted:

I'd rather play an "okay" game that challenges the status quo than a game that is considered good but I've played a hundred times already.

Yes, that's why I continued

quote:

The reason to support them anyway is that all of them will be of a genre/type/whatever no big publisher would ever touch, so even the okay ones are a net win.

I just hope people don't expect every single one of their donations to be turned into a life-affirming experience. Because that could kill this thing faster than anything else.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!
/\/\/\ What, you mean more then they do with their 12$ Minecraft purchase or Mass Effect 3 preorder?

Quarex posted:

Well you had better hurry, only two of the eight $10,000 rewards are left!

Several people on the official forums are all JAGGED ALLIANCE 2 COMBAT ENGINE DUPLICATED and then some others like me are like "hey, we loved Jagged Alliance 2 too, but do you really want every combat to take hours to resolve in an RPG?"

The way I've always thought it should be done in a turn-based RPG like this is have LESS COMBAT that was MORE MEANINGFUL. So you probably spend around the same amount of time fighting as you would if combat played faster but there was more of it.

Ideally you wouldn't have any/many random combat encounters at all. Every combat scenario would be pre-designed.

Of course in a game this style (Fallout), the vast majority if not all should be avoidable in some manner.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting

Quarex posted:

Hexes!

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

RagingBoner posted:

Yahoo! is taking notice of Kickstarter as a funding platform, if in a rather crappy way:

http://games.yahoo.com/blogs/plugged-in/millionaire-hits-gamers-fund-game-idea-184034258.html

Edit: dude looks a little Downs'ey, or is it me?

You're a multi-millionaire. What the hell do you need other people's money for? :psyduck:

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Fintilgin posted:

I hope they rip off the new XCOM for combat. One movement, one action, shooting from cover, when it's several enemies in the row in the initiative order they all move at the same time to speed things up.

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.

Fintilgin posted:

What, you mean more then they do with their 12$ Minecraft purchase or Mass Effect 3 preorder?

Now I'm scared.

RagingBoner
Jan 10, 2006

Real Wood Pencil

Dissapointed Owl posted:

You're a multi-millionaire. What the hell do you need other people's money for? :psyduck:

All I can guess is it is some sort of interest check, which will (obviously) fail.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Fintilgin posted:

OH GOD.

Turn based Silent Storm in an 80s style post-apocalyptic wasteland.

I would never stop playing :fap:

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Der Shovel posted:

OH GOD.

Turn based Silent Storm in an 80s style post-apocalyptic wasteland.

I would never stop playing :fap:

I figure post-apoc architecture is already beat to poo poo, so it ought to fall apart nicely under heavy weapon fire.

It may be a technical challenge too far for a project of this scope, though.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Fintilgin posted:

I figure post-apoc architecture is already beat to poo poo, so it ought to fall apart nicely under heavy weapon fire.

It may be a technical challenge too far for a project of this scope, though.

Scenery that falls apart with a modelled physics model (ie. individual bullets knock off pieces), yeah. But it's easy as piss to have a wall tile which can take X amount of damage before being replaced by a busted version.

ShankyMcStabber
Mar 9, 2012

I spend way too much money on computer parts.

Al! posted:

I would claim that image brings back memories, except I am looking at an Apple IIe version of The Bards Tale and Deathlord in that exact same package style.

One thing I always liked about the early EA folio releases. They stood nice on a bookshelf and could be easily identified without taking up silly amounts of space like Centauri Alliance did (look it up).

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA

ShankyMcStabber posted:

silly amounts of space like Centauri Alliance did (look it up).

signalnoise posted:

Hexes!
!!!

That is kind of awesome, though; I think Centauri Alliance slipped through my "identify and track down every MS-DOS CRPG" efforts from a few years ago. Yep, I just checked my list, and it did--I guess I must have thought it was like Space Civilization or something. I was probably confusing its name with that other game whose name is kind of like it.

Sputnik
Jul 21, 2003

I felt like a ninja, and my kung-fu was strong.

I impulse-donated before watching the video. Now, after hearing that MARK loving MORGAN is on board, I'm going back to double my amount.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
If anyone changed their Kickstart pledge after they noticed they needed to pledge an extra $15 for international shipping, you may want to check your authorized payments on the Amazon Pyaments website.

I changed my pledge to add in the the extra amount for shipping, but then Amazon Payments showed I now had pledged twice to the project; the original amount, and the new higher amount. If you have that, you need to go in and cancel the first authorized payment, or I believe you'll get charged twice when the Kickstarter ends.

Carver
Jan 14, 2003

Even if it was cheesy I enjoyed how half the pitch video is dedicated to mocking modern gaming.

I don't have hands on experience with Wasteland and I didn't know much about Fargo, but just like Schafer I feel like he's pretty passionate about making this work good.

Didn't plan on backing this but reading the thread and watching the video made me think otherwise!

Yor Fizzlebeef
Nov 7, 2010

Can you feel it?
Well that's 65 bucks thrown in for a boxed copy of the game! Have not played the original Wasteland, but I adore Fallout 1 and 2. I think that we are long overdue for a quality old-school isometric RPG.

This is truly a wonderful thing that is happening!

cool new Metroid game
Oct 7, 2009

hail satan

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

If anyone changed their Kickstart pledge after they noticed they needed to pledge an extra $15 for international shipping, you may want to check your authorized payments on the Amazon Pyaments website.

I changed my pledge to add in the the extra amount for shipping, but then Amazon Payments showed I now had pledged twice to the project; the original amount, and the new higher amount. If you have that, you need to go in and cancel the first authorized payment, or I believe you'll get charged twice when the Kickstarter ends.
Just checked and I had two authorised payments for the same thing. Thanks for the heads up.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA

Sputnik posted:

I impulse-donated before watching the video. Now, after hearing that MARK loving MORGAN is on board, I'm going back to double my amount.
Yeah, it is funny, a lot of the things that people who played Fallout but not Wasteland want to see in the game are causing arguments with the Wasteland fans, but pretty much nobody has anything bad to say about having Mark Morgan in charge of everything audio. It is hard to deny how utterly amazing his work is for the genre, apparently.

Carver posted:

Didn't plan on backing this but reading the thread and watching the video made me think otherwise!
I am glad to hear it. You will be pleased to know that 80s metal band-icons like Vic Rattlehead and Eddie definitely would not have been out of place with the general vibe from Wasteland.

cool new Metroid game
Oct 7, 2009

hail satan

Razer CEO ponies up $10K to fund Wasteland 2

Razer sells overpriced, stupid gaming peripherals (and that weird handheld PC console thing, that was WTF) but loving 10k pledge! Awesome.

null_user01013
Nov 13, 2000

Drink up comrades
Oh dear, this was on Brian Fargo's twitter:

"I do plan on doing an iama on reddit soon.... I'll need to be ready for anything there I hear."

Was that the string of I DO THIS PEOPLE THINK THIS bullshit that was going around? Old memes... looks like we are going back to Fallout 2.

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

I don't think she likes the special sauce, Rick.

Not quite Axe, if I understand right, it's basically an "ask me anything" thread, but with...less asking, and more telling? Maybe? I don't know.

edit: And I threw in for $30 as soon as I saw Mark Morgan's name - gotta get that soundtrack.

Squiggle fucked around with this message at 23:58 on Mar 14, 2012

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.

Quarex posted:

Yeah, it is funny, a lot of the things that people who played Fallout but not Wasteland want to see in the game are causing arguments with the Wasteland fans, but pretty much nobody has anything bad to say about having Mark Morgan in charge of everything audio. It is hard to deny how utterly amazing his work is for the genre, apparently.

It's me. I'm the Wasteland fan that wants to chase the "I want Van Buren!" crowd back to NMA.

Edit: /\/\/\ It's basically Reddit's own version of our Ask forum but with people like Neil deGrasse Tyson popping in to do threads from time to time. With Reddit's awful interface and userbase.

Peas and Rice fucked around with this message at 00:00 on Mar 15, 2012

inscrutable horse
May 20, 2010

Parsing sage, rotating time

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Hey, thanks for the notice! While I'd love to donate 215 bucks to the cause, it's a tad more than I can afford :)

Cousin Todd
Jul 3, 2007
Grimey Drawer

Peas and Rice posted:

Edit: /\/\/\ It's basically Reddit's own version of our Ask forum but with people like Neil deGrasse Tyson popping in to do threads from time to time. With Reddit's awful interface and userbase.

This is pretty much this. As a positive though, they have to prove who they are to a mod in order to post threads there. Otherwise it would be all... I'm zach braff, ask me anything!

Tezzeract
Dec 25, 2007

Think I took a wrong turn...
Tangentially related, it sounds like Obsidian is having a tough time financially. The owners weren't paid for 6-7 months and it sounds like the only project they have in store is the South Park game.

Not good.

null_user01013
Nov 13, 2000

Drink up comrades

r1ngwthszzors posted:

Tangentially related, it sounds like Obsidian is having a tough time financially. The owners weren't paid for 6-7 months and it sounds like the only project they have in store is the South Park game.

Not good.

It seems kind of silly for any company to claim financial hardship when people are lined up to throw money at anyone suggesting anything close to whatever game they want to play.

cool new Metroid game
Oct 7, 2009

hail satan

AxeManiac posted:

It seems kind of silly for any company to claim financial hardship when people are lined up to throw money at anyone suggesting anything close to whatever game they want to play.
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3472378
Having a game in development cancelled and having to lay off a bunch of staff (including guys that have been there for years) suggests otherwise. (and not being paid for months)

PSI-5
Aug 21, 2007

The servolator is fried.

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Good pickup there, BH. I also had the same problem.

Edit: Actually, after reading the email from the cancelled payment I'm not sure anymore ...

Amazon Payments posted:

The total amount for all transactions cannot be greater than the maximum amount you authorized.

So, I initially pledged $100 and then changed the pledge to $115.

In my Amazon payments I had one transaction with a maximum authorised amout of $100 and then a second transaction with a maximum of $115.

I take this to mean that I would only get charged a maximum of $115, even though the transaction total was $215.

But don't quote me on that.

PSI-5 fucked around with this message at 00:40 on Mar 15, 2012

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

AxeManiac posted:

In fairness, both DF Adventure and Wasteland 2 are probably going to have teams of like 10-12 people for a year. Wikipedia says Obsidian has 10 times that many in staff, not sure if that's before or after the layoffs.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Fintilgin posted:

In fairness, both DF Adventure and Wasteland 2 are probably going to have teams of like 10-12 people for a year. Wikipedia says Obsidian has 10 times that many in staff, not sure if that's before or after the layoffs.

I think they've had like 140 before the layoffs and it's around 100 now.

fookolt
Mar 13, 2012

Where there is power
There is resistance

AxeManiac posted:

The bigger a studio is, the easier it is for them to falter when they don't have a hot IP lined up or a publisher to back them up (or worse, when the publisher backs out) because they already have so much overhead :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cousin Todd
Jul 3, 2007
Grimey Drawer
I hope ropekid still has his job...

• Locked thread