Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TCD
Nov 13, 2002

Every step, a fucking adventure.

Skandiaavity posted:

I'm intrigued. I've worked helpdesk for ~three years in an older job, so go on...

Why ruin the moment?

;)

At the end of the day, it's a government job with some really interesting/challenging working environments not found in most other government jobs (particularly IT).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skandiaavity
Apr 20, 2005
See, this is the answer I approve of. Thats why I look forward to it & the challenges one can possibly face.

Vilerat
May 11, 2002

Skandiaavity posted:

Ah, OK. How does the insurance work out on that? Is there a flat fee for non-complication birth or? I'm sure it varies, especially by country? You can e-mail me if you'd like, but I'm just overall curious.

( & Thanks TCD. Some quality care there! :D )

edit from what i mean, is that I hear a few different things re: plans, like you don't pay overseas costs, but do pay if you're stateside?

Ok this is how it works. You have US medical insurance, we use foreign service benefits plan (Coventry). You get billed directly for any issue and submit the bills to your insurance company and while you pay out of pocket, you get reimbursed quickly.

The big difference is if you are admitted for more than 24 hours. A fund cite is generated and you give your medical bills to HR who then pays the bills directly and your insurance checks are given to them for reimbursement. It actually works out better because they cover copays when this occurs. It really is easy though and if you have specific questions I've been through this 3 times now (not kids, just extended medical stays) with state.

Skandiaavity
Apr 20, 2005
Uh, go on about that - that's actually quite a new system. Making sure I'm getting you right:

So basically, there's a two-tier (Healthcare Provider and Coventry) system? if she has a kid, it's logical to assume she'll be in the hospital for more than 24 hours. (Or if she's sick or whatever may come up). In that case, I inform H.R. and they generate a fund cite / take care of everything/deal with all the medical bills directly?

For any E.R. or regular visit to see a doc, I have to pay the full costs myself then submit that for reimbursement? (but the reimbursement is quick)

TCD
Nov 13, 2002

Skandiaavity posted:

Uh, go on about that - that's actually quite a new system. Making sure I'm getting you right:

So basically, there's a two-tier (Healthcare Provider and Coventry) system? if she has a kid, it's logical to assume she'll be in the hospital for more than 24 hours. (Or if she's sick or whatever may come up). In that case, I inform H.R. and they generate a fund cite / take care of everything/deal with all the medical bills directly?

For any E.R. or regular visit to see a doc, I have to pay the full costs myself then submit that for reimbursement? (but the reimbursement is quick)

No, it's Med that deals with that.

If you are hospitalized overseas for more than 24 hours, they'll (MED) provide the fundcite to cover your or your EFM's stay. You will then be given the bills of the hospital stay. You submit them to your insurance plan. You then sign over any money that the insurance plan covers back to the U.S.G. to recoup the money that they advanced for you. I think the only thing that you might be responsible for is your deductable if applicable.

If you are doing out patient, or otherwise not in the hospital for over 24 hours, you are responsible (usually) for costs up front to be paid to the provider/doctor/hospital/clinic and have to submit the claims to your insurance plan. Some insurance plans are better when overseas than others...

Edit:
If you have your kid back home in the States, then it's whatever your insurance plan covers (I think). It will still count as a medevac, so the airfare for the mom is covered (but not fathers or non pregnant spouse) and there is some per diem involved as well.

TCD fucked around with this message at 16:39 on Mar 13, 2012

Zoots
Apr 19, 2007

No passport for you.

TCD posted:

No, it's Med that deals with that.

If you are hospitalized overseas for more than 24 hours, they'll (MED) provide the fundcite to cover your or your EFM's stay. You will then be given the bills of the hospital stay. You submit them to your insurance plan. You then sign over any money that the insurance plan covers back to the U.S.G. to recoup the money that they advanced for you. I think the only thing that you might be responsible for is your deductable if applicable.

If you are doing out patient, or otherwise not in the hospital for over 24 hours, you are responsible (usually) for costs up front to be paid to the provider/doctor/hospital/clinic and have to submit the claims to your insurance plan. Some insurance plans are better when overseas than others...

Since I'm currently on medevac, I can throw in my two cents. I'm currently assigned to Rome, if that makes any difference.

While in-country, I was responsible for paying all outpatient services up front. I then submitted the claim via fax with all the necessary receipts and I was reimbursed from BCBS within a week or two. I think the delay is a result of them needing to translate the Italian.

When overnight stays were required, the Health Unit handled all the bills and dealt with my insurance claims. Any copays or deductibles I paid directly to the Embassy cashier. I usually got a bill from them after a month or two. It was really quite (har!) painless.

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender
Formerly Diplomaticus/SWATJester
Does your CLO have a list of tour guides for the Vatican? Because we'll be in Rome later this year -- hook a brother up.

Zoots
Apr 19, 2007

No passport for you.

Diplomaticus posted:

Does your CLO have a list of tour guides for the Vatican? Because we'll be in Rome later this year -- hook a brother up.

Since I'm still stuck in limbo here in the US, I don't have access to that info. That said, check the Rome intranet for the Veneto Views newsletter. The CLO is pretty good about listing that stuff. If you can't find what you're looking for, I'll try to hook you up once I return to post in a couple weeks.

And hey, shoot me a message when you've got your plans nailed down. I'd love to meet up and take you out for some grub.

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender
We'll see if we can make it happen -- we're only going to be in town for a day (med cruise stopping in Rome/Civitavecchia) so maybe a lunch might be doable.

Also totally didn't realize I can browse other posts intranets. I'll just do that.

TCD
Nov 13, 2002

Diplomaticus posted:

Also totally didn't realize I can browse other posts intranets. I'll just do that.

haha... insert officer joke here.

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender
True story -- from an -01: "can you put pictures in an email?"

Skandiaavity
Apr 20, 2005
Ah, that clears it up. Thanks! A little different from dealing with typical health insurance but otherwise less of a hassle.

Can't wait.

TCD
Nov 13, 2002

Skandiaavity posted:

Ah, that clears it up. Thanks! A little different from dealing with typical health insurance but otherwise less of a hassle.

Can't wait.

Eh, not one you get a TPS report type email from 5 different people asking for re-payment of 9,000 or they'll be looking at your wages.

I'm just saying, don't romanticize the job, or the perks. Keep expectations low and you'll do a lot better than some people who had/have high expectations only to be let down.

Skandiaavity
Apr 20, 2005
That's what I do... Go in, expect nothing. Learn everything as I go. Makes you appreciate things more!

HelpDesk taught me that, because no matter how low or how high you can set the bar, there's always something else.

TCD
Nov 13, 2002

Oh god, my first time using e2 travel...

AKA Pseudonym
May 16, 2004

A dashing and sophisticated young man
Doctor Rope
It's really not all that bad if you go into with all the stuff you need. The new version is a huge improvement.

Zoots
Apr 19, 2007

No passport for you.

Diplomaticus posted:

We'll see if we can make it happen -- we're only going to be in town for a day (med cruise stopping in Rome/Civitavecchia) so maybe a lunch might be doable.

Ah, Civitavecchia. That's like an hour and a half away with traffic. I'd say lunch is doable for you. Just don't get pickpocketed on the way, okay? :v:

Skandiaavity
Apr 20, 2005

Zoots posted:

Just don't get pickpocketed on the way, okay? :v:

but, but, all those juicy markstourists.. Surely you could help the Italian economy just a tiny bit, yes? :v:

Zoots
Apr 19, 2007

No passport for you.
Were any of you guys bidding this time around? Looks like the winter cycle assignments have just started coming out and the "mom blogs" are awash with both delight and despair.

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender
Not on Winter, but I'm bidding upcoming Summer cycle.

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009

Zoots posted:

"mom blogs" are awash with both delight and despair.

This sounds entertaining and informative, could you link to a recent one?

Also, I watched a National Geographic program on the US Foreign Service on Netflix last week, have any of you seen it? What's your take on it?

Zoots
Apr 19, 2007

No passport for you.

Jedi Knight Luigi posted:

This sounds entertaining and informative, could you link to a recent one?

A colleague set up this Google Reader bundle - check it out here.

Homie S
Aug 6, 2001

This is what it means
http://www.state.gov/m/ds/

quote:

The Special Agent application period is expected to open on March 16th and close on March 30th. Please check back periodically for updates.

little heads up for anyone interested.

nadocollin
Feb 14, 2012
Out of curiosity, anybody know how big Embassy Prague is? How many FSOs there?

Business of Ferrets
Mar 2, 2008

Good to see that everything is back to normal.

Also, I watched a National Geographic program on the US Foreign Service on Netflix last week, have any of you seen it? What's your take on it?

Is that the one about ambassadors? I thought it was pretty good, but kind of missed the point by focusing on the ambassadors instead of the rest of the mission (where the work gets done).

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009

Business of Ferrets posted:

Is that the one about ambassadors? I thought it was pretty good, but kind of missed the point by focusing on the ambassadors instead of the rest of the mission (where the work gets done).

Yeah, they mostly focused on this really old man with a southern accent who was ambassador to Japan, as well as a lady who was assigned to Pakistan right before 9/11. Other than that there was maybe 30 seconds of a guy talking about stamping passports all day.

Vilerat
May 11, 2002
Just had an OMS ask me to install a classnet printer to her opennet terminal.

Morning folks!

TCD
Nov 13, 2002

Vilerat posted:

Just had an OMS ask me to install a classnet printer to her opennet terminal.

Morning folks!

How many times did you have to tell her no?

Zoots
Apr 19, 2007

No passport for you.

Yeah, they mostly focused on this really old man with a southern accent who was ambassador to Japan, as well as a lady who was assigned to Pakistan right before 9/11. Other than that there was maybe 30 seconds of a guy talking about stamping passports all day.

There was also a more recent special featuring the Secretary and the Ops Center. It did a pretty good job of showing what goes into making these visits happen - and it was hilariously awesome seeing past coworkers on screen. I may or may not have ribbed a few after seeing it.

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender
I watched the Ops Center one that was cool.

In other news, one of my friends just passed her FSOA in Econ. See folks, it CAN be done.

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender
Aha, another thread Homie S has not defiled yet by beating me to the punch.

quote:

UNCLASSIFIED STATE 00025237
VZCZCXYZ0000
RR RUEHWEB
DE RUEHC #5237 0742313
ZNR UUUUU ZZH
R 142313Z MAR 12
FM SECSTATE WASHDC
TO ALL DIPLOMATIC AND CONSULAR POSTS COLLECTIVE
RUEHTRO/AMEMBASSY TRIPOLI 2372
BT
UNCLAS STATE 025237

E.O. 13526: N/A
TAGS: APER, AMGT, KSEP
SUBJECT: VACANCY ANNOUNCEMENT - FOREIGN SERVICE
DIPLOMATIC SECURITY SPECIAL AGENT

1. This is to alert posts that a vacancy announcement
for Foreign Service Diplomatic Security Special Agents
will open on March 16, 2012. It will close on March 30,
2012. The announcement is available on
https://www.careers.state.gov.

2. MINIMIZE CONSIDERED.
CLINTON
BT

TCD
Nov 13, 2002

Diplomaticus posted:

I watched the Ops Center one that was cool.

In other news, one of my friends just passed her FSOA in Econ. See folks, it CAN be done.
People also win the lottery...

Vilerat
May 11, 2002

Diplomaticus posted:

Up 8 posts friend!

TCD
Nov 13, 2002

nadocollin posted:

Out of curiosity, anybody know how big Embassy Prague is? How many FSOs there?

I don't think you're going to see anybody get into details of staffing at a particular post here on the internet.

Homie S
Aug 6, 2001

This is what it means

Diplomaticus posted:

It's cool bro :cool::respek::cool:

1of7
Jan 30, 2011
Well, today ended fairly bad. But, I guess I'll have to console myself with the fact that I'll be in Bangkok in less the 48hrs. :D Looking forward to seeing the sun & some blue skies again.

Beria
Nov 13, 2011
Whats up foreign service folks!

I have some questions about applying to be an FSO, preferably the Political track.

I am currently active duty military, enlisted. Since I have been in, I managed to finish my B.S. in Poli Sci from my old school (with a less than stellar g.p.a.) and am working on my M.S. from an online college for military types.

It seems pretty tought to get into the foreign service right now, from what I've seen in this thread. My question is: just how much does military experience count?

Zoots
Apr 19, 2007

No passport for you.

Beria posted:

I have some questions about applying to be an FSO, preferably the Political track.

I am currently active duty military, enlisted. Since I have been in, I managed to finish my B.S. in Poli Sci from my old school (with a less than stellar g.p.a.) and am working on my M.S. from an online college for military types.

It seems pretty tought to get into the foreign service right now, from what I've seen in this thread. My question is: just how much does military experience count?

If you pass the Orals, they add your veteran's points to your score and that will boost your spot on the register.

In terms of how your military experience will look to the BEX - that's up to you. Anecdotally speaking, there were several people who were former military in my A-100, not to mention a couple reservists who had to log their time prior to departing to post. You should be able to demonstrate how your skills and background fit into each of the 13 dimensions, not to mention however you choose to answer your personal narrative questions on the application.

In other words, :argh: IT DEPENDS. :argh:

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender

Beria posted:

I was former enlisted Army infantry, got my B.S. in PoliSci as well.

Military experience is worth both bonus points on your score for having 5 or 10 point preference (0.175 for 5 point, I don't know what 10 point is worth off top of my head), and it gives you something to put in your personal narratives.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bellum
Jun 3, 2011

All war is deception.
Have any of you in State worked with military attaché? What is that like, seen from the outside?