Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

myron cope
Apr 21, 2009

I think you can do that without an extension? Settings -> Under the Hood -> Content Settings... and then you can "Block sites from setting any data and "Manage Exceptions..."

Although I don't manage cookies like that so I don't know if that's good enough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kabuki Shipoopi
Jun 22, 2007

If I fall, you don't get the head, right? If you lose the head, you're fucked!

Coming from Opera to see what all the hype was about and so far I really like chrome, though I have run into a few issues.

I've installed the recommended extensions in the OP but I still can't see any image on SA. Avatars, smilies, thread tags, nothing.

The only extensions I have installed are the two somethingawful related ones in the OP.

MrHyde
Dec 17, 2002

Hello, Ladies

The Third Man posted:

Any recommendations for a cookie management extension? I'd like something that I can whitelist cookies from regular sites that I visit like SA and either block or remove anything else whenever I close my browser.

I use Vanilla but I'm not blown away by it. It gets the job done well enough.

syphon
Jan 1, 2001

syphon posted:

The Windows version of Chrome puts user-specific shortcuts on my desktop (so my girlfriend can start her user in Chrome just by double clicking that). Does the OSX version have a similar feature? I can't find any way other than starting Chrome and THEN choosing your user.
Bumping in hopes someone knows the answer.

dont skimp on the shrimp
Apr 23, 2008

:coffee:

myron cope posted:

I think you can do that without an extension? Settings -> Under the Hood -> Content Settings... and then you can "Block sites from setting any data and "Manage Exceptions..."

Although I don't manage cookies like that so I don't know if that's good enough.
Yeah, you can set the primary rule to either don't allow cookies at all or allow them to be kept until you close your browser. Then you can add exceptions for each site you want to be able to set cookies and also set how those cookies will be stored (block, allow for session or allow).

I think it's pretty decent. :)

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

syphon posted:

Bumping in hopes someone knows the answer.

Not that I know of, all I know about using multiple users is that it puts a colorful icon in the top right. Looking through the settings I don't see anything about desktop icons, I'm sorry.

Also I'm pissed about Google's new "Google Play" thing, not because I think it's a stupid name (you don't "play" books or apps) but because now Google Music and the Android Market have the same stupid favicon in my address bar.

More related, if they don't roll up the Chrome web store in the Google Play...market, whatever, well. That's dumb and I completely expect it.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.
I have a weird problem with these forums. Certain threads will just kill a tab. I'll open them, they load, and I can't do anything. No scrolling, mouse icon doesn't change when hovering over a link, nothing. The page locks up completely. However, I can close the tab normally and Chrome continues on it's merry way. This happens extremely infrequently, and the only two threads that come to mind it happens is the Lulzsec thread in GBS from today and one page of the STALKER Call of Pripyat thread in Gaming. I tried them in IE, they work fine. Go to Chrome and disable SALR and Fancier SA Forums, they still lock up.

Also, quoting people and previewing posts really screws up urls (the link itself disappears leaving just [url][/url] in its place, and maybe bbcode (I don't post much so I honestly don't remember on that one).

syphon
Jan 1, 2001

Manky posted:

Not that I know of, all I know about using multiple users is that it puts a colorful icon in the top right. Looking through the settings I don't see anything about desktop icons, I'm sorry.
Yeah, the Windows version of Chrome automatically placed those shortcuts on my desktop (which normally annoys me, but was useful this time). I don't know of any way to do it manually... for either OS.

crestfallen
Aug 2, 2009

Hi.
Chrome stable. Mac OSX 10.7. Pin a tab. Close the browser--doesn't matter how you close it. Reopen Chrome. No pinned tabs.

I can't make this work. I've tried every combination of pinning, having pinned/non-pinned tabs, the various methods of closing/quitting/exiting the browser, the home page options in the preferences. I tried completely uninstalling, downloading a new stable copy, not setting ANY options, and pinning a tab. Won't stay. Pinned tabs just won't stay.

For reference I can DL a fresh copy of stable Chrome on a windows PC, open it, do absolutely nothing except pin a tab, close Chrome, reopen it and the pinned tab works as expected.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

dpbjinc posted:

My bad; my script had a typo, and now Chrome is calling me out on my poo poo. Use this until Anal adds it back in to the general extension.

From way back, but: This seemingly still hasn't been added to the webkit fix, and now the link's down. Could you rehost it?

Cpt.Wacky
Apr 17, 2005
Looks like someone scored $60k for a full chrome exploit, new stable version is out already.

http://googlechromereleases.blogspot.com/2012/03/chrome-stable-channel-update.html

quote:

[Ch-ch-ch-ch-ching!!! $60,000] [117226] [117230] Critical CVE-2011-3046: UXSS and bad history navigation. Credit to Sergey Glazunov.

wanda
Dec 8, 2010

Just switched back from Nightly to Chromium, now that the download bar can be switched off in about :flags. Maravilloso.

Now, how long until we can fully reconfigure the interface?

Gorilla Salsa
Dec 4, 2007

Post Post Post.

Cpt.Wacky posted:

Looks like someone scored $60k for a full chrome exploit, new stable version is out already.

http://googlechromereleases.blogspot.com/2012/03/chrome-stable-channel-update.html

That guy is always getting money for chrome exploits. I don't even think that guy has a real job anymore.

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?

Gorilla Salsa posted:

That guy is always getting money for chrome exploits. I don't even think that guy has a real job anymore.

He basically netted a similar amount from finding bugs during the Chromium project. Definitely a talented guy.

unruly
May 12, 2002

YES!!!

wanda posted:

Just switched back from Nightly to Chromium, now that the download bar can be switched off in about :flags. Maravilloso.

Now, how long until we can fully reconfigure the interface?
Is there a good version of Chromium to download? I'd like to stay near the stable versions of Chrome, as I'm not looking to be bleeding edge. I guess getting the FreeSMUG Build might be my best bet. Or I guess I could try my luck in Chromatic.

Choices...

wanda
Dec 8, 2010

unruly posted:

Is there a good version of Chromium to download? I'd like to stay near the stable versions of Chrome, as I'm not looking to be bleeding edge. I guess getting the FreeSMUG Build might be my best bet. Or I guess I could try my luck in Chromatic.

Choices...
I have not tried any stable Chromium builds, so I cannot vouch for either of those. There's no real reason to switch from Chrome to Chromium unless you want to be bleeding edge.

Or unless you're afraid of the Google botnet, in which case your best bet would be to just try out various open source builds and hope for the best, I guess.

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Ships were made for sinking;
Whiskey made for drinking;
If we were made of cellophane
We'd all get stinking drunk much faster!
In case you're not following the QCS thread, there's a better extension to fix timgs and text alignment in Chrome. It apparently fixes timgs that users have incorrectly wrapped in URLs as well.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

dpbjinc posted:

In case you're not following the QCS thread, there's a better extension to fix timgs and text alignment in Chrome. It apparently fixes timgs that users have incorrectly wrapped in URLs as well.

So it looks like this opens the image in a new tab, which is what it does in Firefox?

Anyway, I installed this extension a while ago, that shows full size images on mouse over on all sorts of places. It works on imgur, Facebook, Google+, and whole bunch of other places. If the image is too big for the screen, it just fills the screen instead of table breaking.

Meat Recital
Mar 26, 2009

by zen death robot
Could anyone recommend a good, in browser IRC extension?

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Meat Recital posted:

As far as I know the only good IRC programs are standalone. Any reason why it has to be in-browser?

RickoniX
Dec 4, 2005

A human or elf?

NO NOT A BADGER YOU GOON

Meat Recital posted:

What's your e-mail address? I will send you an IRCCloud invite (I have 3 if anyone else wants one)

Meat Recital
Mar 26, 2009

by zen death robot

flatluigi posted:

As far as I know the only good IRC programs are standalone. Any reason why it has to be in-browser?

Purely convenience.

RickoniX posted:

What's your e-mail address? I will send you an IRCCloud invite (I have 3 if anyone else wants one)

Thank you.

Meat Recital fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Mar 11, 2012

TVGM
Mar 17, 2005

"It is not moral, it is not acceptable, and it is not sustainable that the top one-tenth of 1 percent now owns almost as much wealth as the bottom 90 percent"

Yam Slacker

RickoniX posted:

I'd like to try this out.

Edit: Thank you!

TVGM fucked around with this message at 17:32 on Mar 11, 2012

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

Checked last couple of pages, no results.

Has anyone having weird issues with adblock? I have EasyList and EasyPrivacy loaded but I've noticed in the past couple of days that ads have been showing up that had previously been blocked before. Not sure if this started happening before or after that quick update Google released for their 0-day exploit.

ILikeVoltron
May 17, 2003

I <3 spyderbyte!

Strong Sauce posted:

Checked last couple of pages, no results.

Has anyone having weird issues with adblock? I have EasyList and EasyPrivacy loaded but I've noticed in the past couple of days that ads have been showing up that had previously been blocked before. Not sure if this started happening before or after that quick update Google released for their 0-day exploit.

I noticed this in a few places, tried to update my filters and still noticed a few ads. I'm sure the devs will get it sorted out soon enough.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

RickoniX posted:

I'd like to try this out to, if you have an invites left! I'm currently using mibbit and while it's generally good this looks even slicker.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
A quick Chrome question: does flash crash constantly for anyone else, especially on gmail? I can't go 12 hours without it crashing at some point/having to reload the tab.

18.0.1025.54 beta

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:
Neat poo poo coming up in Chrome: http://www.chromium.org/developers/meet-the-web-platform-companion

Mostly nerd poo poo for web developers, but what's cool for all users:
  • Web Intents - standardizes APIs for web apps. This makes it easier for web apps to communicate between each other. For example, with there being 5000 Dropbox competitors now, in the future they'll all be able to share one "Save" API that web apps can use to save to your web storage.
  • Push notifications
  • WebCam support in native HTML! One of the last big holdouts for Flash.
  • Motherfucking GamePad support. No, seriously. There's gonna a Draft Recommendation and everything: https://wiki.mozilla.org/GamepadAPI

something original
Sep 9, 2011
Googled it but no dice, does anyone know what these "allow" tick boxes are for?

TwoKnives
Dec 25, 2004

Horrible, horrible shoes!
Could it be the "Allow in Incognito" option, but with some of the text getting cut off?

something original
Sep 9, 2011
Well, Flash works fine in incognito without "allowing" it. When I disable Flash it doesn't make Flash work in incognito either.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Maybe it's to allow outdated plugins to run anyway without bugging you?

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
For me it says "Always allowed." My guess is it has something to do with getting asked to run a plugin. I never get aksed for Flash, but whenever something tries to run Java, Chrome asks me to run this once, or always allow on this site. I bet if I checked the box for Java it would always just run it without asking me.

Not sure why Flash runs though, since the flash box isn't checked.

Cheese Bridge Area
Jan 27, 2008
Is anybody else getting an error message with Adblock Plus 1.2.

I keep getting "This extension failed to modify a network request because the modification conflicted with another extension." The only extension that I think could conflict with it is ghostery.

It doesn't crash the browser or anything but it's annoying to have the error symbol pop up on the wrench all the time.

other people
Jun 27, 2004
Associate Christ
I am using "Version 19.0.1068.1 dev" on my PC and just today Chrome has started telling me that there is a "Sync error: update sync passphrase". I have no idea how it forgot my sync passphrase, but it is very adamant that the password I am offering it is wrong.

It started doing this on my FREE Chromebook two days ago as well, but the wife has been hogging it so I have not looked into it much.

I am 99.9999% sure I am using the correct password. Is this some weird fluke? If I delete my sync data and start over again, will I lose anything?

Prize Loser
Nov 28, 2005

It's casual Friday! Pants are optional!

Bioalchemist posted:

Is anybody else getting an error message with Adblock Plus 1.2.

I keep getting "This extension failed to modify a network request because the modification conflicted with another extension." The only extension that I think could conflict with it is ghostery.

It doesn't crash the browser or anything but it's annoying to have the error symbol pop up on the wrench all the time.

It's caused by Ghostery and Adblock attempting to block the same thing at the same time. I get the error on Ghostery all the time (whichever runs second should get the error). The only solution is to disable one or the other. Hopefully soonish the Ghostery devs and the Adblock dev will figure out a way to avoid the error, but for now it's not harming anything.

Kaluza-Klein posted:

I am using "Version 19.0.1068.1 dev" on my PC and just today Chrome has started telling me that there is a "Sync error: update sync passphrase". I have no idea how it forgot my sync passphrase, but it is very adamant that the password I am offering it is wrong.

It started doing this on my FREE Chromebook two days ago as well, but the wife has been hogging it so I have not looked into it much.

I am 99.9999% sure I am using the correct password. Is this some weird fluke? If I delete my sync data and start over again, will I lose anything?

If this is the same issue I've had in the past, this should work. Go to %localappdata%/google/chrome/user data/default (you'll have to hunt for it on OSX and Linux, I don't know exactly where those would be), and open up the Preferences file in a text editor (after you close Chrome and back it up, of course). You'll see something like this somewhere in the file:

code:
   "sync": {
      "acknowledged_types": [ "A bunch of table-breaking crap" ],
      "app_notifications": true,
      "apps": true,
      "autofill": false,
      "autofill_profile": false,
      "bookmarks": false,
      "encryption_bootstrap_token": "This will be a long series of letters and symbols and numbers",
      "extensions": true,
      "has_setup_completed": true,
      "keep_everything_synced": false,
      "last_synced_time": "12976551661069629",
      "max_invalidation_versions": {
         "10": "1332077952192000",
         "11": "1331931110530000",
         "13": "1331990931153000",
         "2": "1329369696484000",
         "3": "1331574642064000",
         "7": "1328884743200000",
         "9": "1331937798501000"
      },
Delete it. Save the file, launch chrome, and set sync up. You should be error-free, now. This won't make you lose any of your syncronized data, either.

As for the Chrome book, the file to edit should be the same, but I don't know how you would get at it if they lock down the console.

other people
Jun 27, 2004
Associate Christ

Prize Loser posted:

If this is the same issue I've had in the past, this should work. Go to %localappdata%/google/chrome/user data/default (you'll have to hunt for it on OSX and Linux, I don't know exactly where those would be), and open up the Preferences file in a text editor (after you close Chrome and back it up, of course). You'll see something like this somewhere in the file:

code:
   "sync": {
      "acknowledged_types": [ "A bunch of table-breaking crap" ],
      "app_notifications": true,
      "apps": true,
      "autofill": false,
      "autofill_profile": false,
      "bookmarks": false,
      "encryption_bootstrap_token": "This will be a long series of letters and symbols and numbers",
      "extensions": true,
      "has_setup_completed": true,
      "keep_everything_synced": false,
      "last_synced_time": "12976551661069629",
      "max_invalidation_versions": {
         "10": "1332077952192000",
         "11": "1331931110530000",
         "13": "1331990931153000",
         "2": "1329369696484000",
         "3": "1331574642064000",
         "7": "1328884743200000",
         "9": "1331937798501000"
      },
Delete it. Save the file, launch chrome, and set sync up. You should be error-free, now. This won't make you lose any of your syncronized data, either.

As for the Chrome book, the file to edit should be the same, but I don't know how you would get at it if they lock down the console.

Woah. That worked perfectly, thank you! The chromebook shouldn't be any trouble to fix, but I'll have to get it away from my wife to try it.

Tapedump
Aug 31, 2007
College Slice
Chrome/Google Sync keeps loving up the order of my bookmark bar bookmarks. :( I am using the latest regular version.

Every two or three days I will open Chrome on one of three PCs it's installed on, and after just a few moments the bookmarks bar will completely re-order itself. I do not find, but have not paid strict attention to, problems in other bookmark folders, except for a few bookmarks that would reappear, doubled or tripled up, again and again.

How can I fix this huge frustration? Googling the issue comes up with far too many varied results.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
I'm not sure if my Chrome has become corrupted somehow or if this is me being a retard. But lately Chrome has been slow. Very very loving slow, and when I checked Windows Task Manager to see if I had some huge programs running, chrome.exe appeared close to a dozen times. I only have 1 window open with maybe 7 tabs, including the forums, hotmail, Aquabid, and a few fish sites.

Should I just reinstall or is there something weird afoot? I do run AVG, Spybot Search and Destroy, and ZoneAlarm.

Also, just now when I went to open an IM window in AIM, Chrome froze, the window turned white save for the address bar, and my cursor went to an hourglass for about twenty seconds.

So in short have I hosed up Chrome somewhere or is it running slow for a reason?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Ships were made for sinking;
Whiskey made for drinking;
If we were made of cellophane
We'd all get stinking drunk much faster!
Chrome normally starts a lot of processes, so that if one page/plugin stops working, it doesn't take the whole browser down. If you have a lot of extensions or plugins, that could cause the issue. Try starting an Incognito window and see if that helps.