Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
If you want to take a shot at me get in line, line
1 2 3!
Baby, I've had all my shots and I'm fine

HalloKitty posted:

Apparently the internet is some kind of hearty but extremely trippy layered cake:

Where did that bar on the left come from?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

Golbez posted:

Where did that bar on the left come from?

Ah, this is using the Tilt 3D addon, not the built in FF functionality.

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

thrawn527 posted:

Are you sure? I just upgraded to Firefox 11, and I don't see that anywhere. Here's what I see after clicking Inspect Element:

Where am I missing a 3D button?

Selavi posted:

I don't see the 3d button either, and I have 11.0.

Maybe your graphics cards don't support WebGL

pipes!
Jul 10, 2001
Nap Ghost

Golbez posted:

So, on a modern PC, would we really gain any performance by streamlining these pages? Or is it simply a matter of making it more maintainable in general, getting away from the horror of nested tables?

Yes and yes. Optimized pages are more semantic, render faster, save on bandwidth, and help performance, especially when taking tabbed browsing into consideration.

HalloKitty posted:

:psyduck:

pipes! fucked around with this message at 16:18 on Mar 15, 2012

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
1 2 3!

butts! posted:

:psyduck:

What is really intriguing me is the top four large layers are all very gridded. Those aren't individual layers, they're made up of dozens of bricks.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
Apparently Ghostery is telling me that it doesn't like working with BeefTaco, and can cause lock ups.

That may explain why very rarely my FF would crash on shut down.

Dice Dice Baby
Aug 30, 2004
I like "faggots"

butts! posted:

Plus, it just looks cool.

This cannot be emphasized enough

And seeing the document structure represent in 3 dimensions is also a great tool :shobon:

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Have you ever wondered what it would look like to be inside your computer and see the back of your web browser? Now you can find out!

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
If I could be bothered taking screenshots from within 3D view (the imgur extension has spoiled me!) then we could play a game of Guess The Website. It's strange how websites look when tipped on their sides, Google's search box and Install Chrome button are like skyscrapers!

Zhentar
Sep 28, 2003

Brilliant Master Genius

Golbez posted:

So, on a modern PC, would we really gain any performance by streamlining these pages?

Calculating the page layout can be a pretty significant part of page loading performance. The layout rules are really complicated, with elements affecting the size of their contents and the size of their contents affecting the elements and elements affecting other elements and it's all so complicated sometimes I'm not sure how browsers manage to achieve a layout at all, much less as quickly as they do.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
I thought I'd like to mention that there is an option in about:config to turn off the context menu item of "inspect this element" and such, for those of you that never need to use any of that stuff.

I had a user turn it on earlier today and freaked the gently caress out about it since they primarily use a web-based application for most of their day to day activities. They totally thought they had malware.

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice

Golbez posted:

So, on a modern PC, would we really gain any performance by streamlining these pages? Or is it simply a matter of making it more maintainable in general, getting away from the horror of nested tables?
Page design absolutely makes a huge difference in load time, memory usage, and other performance factors. I'm no web developer or anything, but basically the browser will progressively render content as it downloads/parses it, but it's possible (and probably likely) that later content will affect the rendering of earlier content, requiring the browser to do what's called a "reflow" and re-render the page. Hypothetically, if a page has to reflow four times at 25%, 50%, 75%, and 100% (obviously pretty contrived), you're looking at a total render time of ~250%. It's easy to say that the base render time should be very small on a modern PC, but that is stacking with an AV program that slows page load by 2-4X, maybe the user has IE, and maybe they're actually on a netbook, cellphone, or other device with a slow processor. Add in some slight packet loss or latency due to a wireless or mobile connection and you have a recipe for painfully slow page loads.

Google has done a lot of public work on improving web performance. You might find the following links useful:

Google PageSpeed family of tools
Web Performance Best Practices
Let's Make The Web Faster
LMTWF Tools page, including Google and third-party tools

NOTinuyasha
Oct 17, 2006

The Great Twist

HalloKitty posted:

Had a similar experience. Our current (and new, I should add) helpdesk system is a clusterfuck of tables on tables with tables inside tables with single cell tables inside that, and so on.

It looks like a factory block. Want to see it? No? Tough; here it is:

Post hot div pics and the tablest ticketing systems u got

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
1 2 3!

NOTinuyasha posted:

:stare:

Mother of god.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

So, how long before someone intentionally makes an exact replica of the New York skyline with this? Bonus points if it's a somewhat working website.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

NOTinuyasha posted:

I'll add to this again, with a surprisingly simple looking page:

But what horrors lay beneath?

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
1 2 3!
What's really interesting is to look at the huge professional public-facing sites: MSNBC, CNN, etc. The towers are almost all blue divs, nary a red table to be found. (Looks like the tables tend to either be for actual tabular data, or for third party advertisements)

The bedrock of Gmail is *21* nested divs.

unruly
May 12, 2002

YES!!!
OWA is a towering landscape of divs too.

Though, it's a vast improvement over the old version...

Only registered members can see post attachments!

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice
Welp, now that the official release version is 11, one very nagging problem I've had across 3-4 installs (laptops, desktops, work, home, etc.) is that SA tabs tend to load up with a -1 index saying that a particular forum or thread cannot be found in the live forums.

I had this issue when I tried using the Nightly 64-bit builds so I backed off and started using older 32-bit release versions, but now it's in full force in the release version.

Any ideas?

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

arioch posted:

Welp, now that the official release version is 11, one very nagging problem I've had across 3-4 installs (laptops, desktops, work, home, etc.) is that SA tabs tend to load up with a -1 index saying that a particular forum or thread cannot be found in the live forums.

Nope, had this since forever. I think it's more of an SA bug with a piece of JS code firing on the wrong event type. The JS code makes assumptions about the values of variables that aren't true after a session restore, so you get '-1' instead.

The firefox bug part of this is that a page load happens without creating a 'back' event, which is stupid.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice
I haven't actually had this happen until I started using the post-10 nightlies, which is why I dropped back to 8-ish, but now that we're on 11, it's ... yeah. Very annoying. Since it ONLY happens on SA I was already sure it's pretty much a SA specific issue, though, but not having the back event is painful.

Doc V
Mar 20, 2010
:megaman:

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

College Slice

arioch posted:

I haven't actually had this happen until I started using the post-10 nightlies, which is why I dropped back to 8-ish, but now that we're on 11, it's ... yeah. Very annoying. Since it ONLY happens on SA I was already sure it's pretty much a SA specific issue, though, but not having the back event is painful.
For what it's worth I haven't seen this on the Aurora channel except when I try to use expired links (eg, middle-clicking a "go to last read post" link from the user CP, then doing it again before new posts have happened). I do have NoAds and use AdblockPlus to block the Quantserve, Indieclick, and Google Analytics scripts on SA.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Here I was, totally impressed with Firefox' completely silent update process during the last year. Turns out, that was because it didn't update at all, despite the settings!

When going to 'About Firefox', it just displayed the running version (6) and a button labeled 'Apply update'. When clicked, Firefox would restart without any noticable effect.

I downloaded the current version (11) and applied the update manually, which worked, but the problem remains. It doesn't check for a new version, just shows the Apply update button, which does nothing but restart Firefox.

I'm not too bothered about this, but if anyone knows what's up with that, that would be cool.

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

College Slice

Flipperwaldt posted:

Here I was, totally impressed with Firefox' completely silent update process during the last year. Turns out, that was because it didn't update at all, despite the settings!
I'm thinking you have some sort of permissions issue. What version of Windows are you using, and do you have Firefox installed somewhere non-standard?

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Alereon posted:

I'm thinking you have some sort of permissions issue. What version of Windows are you using, and do you have Firefox installed somewhere non-standard?
Windows 7 Home Premium x86. It's in C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\, which I'm guessing is standard. The profile is under C:\Users\%username%\AppData\Local\Mozilla\Firefox\, which is also what I would expect.

I do everything from a non-administrator account with the idea that that is best in case I should ever get hit by malware or something. So when I install or update Firefox manually, it asks me for the Administrator password, which I would give. Don't know if that matters, I would expect Firefox to know how to deal with that and ask me for elevation if needed or report a failure to update.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice

Alereon posted:

For what it's worth I haven't seen this on the Aurora channel except when I try to use expired links (eg, middle-clicking a "go to last read post" link from the user CP, then doing it again before new posts have happened). I do have NoAds and use AdblockPlus to block the Quantserve, Indieclick, and Google Analytics scripts on SA.

Hm, so I just tried using ABP to block Indieclick and Google Analytics scripts, as well as forums.sa/vb/js and anything else that looked remotely like a javascript in Open blockable items, then I restarted Firefox a few times. Still happens.

edit: then I installed noscript on this machine, and bingo, problem gone. Of course, now I'm missing a bunch of actual functionality, like highlighting spoiler tags.

edit: and, apparently, IMG tags. Groovy.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE fucked around with this message at 01:34 on Mar 18, 2012

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
Is there a way to make the + button in osx behave like Safari/Chrome (ie: resize, not the maximize behavior that it has now) ?

Theler
Aug 8, 2009

arioch posted:

Hm, so I just tried using ABP to block Indieclick and Google Analytics scripts, as well as forums.sa/vb/js and anything else that looked remotely like a javascript in Open blockable items, then I restarted Firefox a few times. Still happens.

edit: then I installed noscript on this machine, and bingo, problem gone. Of course, now I'm missing a bunch of actual functionality, like highlighting spoiler tags.

edit: and, apparently, IMG tags. Groovy.

With noscript just allow somethingawful.com's javascript and that should give you all the functionality. You can still block the tracking scripts.

You should be able to do this in your addon toolbar, by clicking the noscript icon.

Theler fucked around with this message at 03:13 on Mar 18, 2012

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Alereon posted:

It only happens on forums, not threads, and if you have loaded but not interacted with the forum page, it won't happen.

I think I tested it happening as load a forum, middle click on a 'go to last post' link to open it in a new tab, then quit and reload firefox will cause it.

Restore session on startup is turned on, and session manager is installed. I don't think SALR is doing it, but I only tested with it disabled, not uninstalled.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice

Theler posted:

With noscript just allow somethingawful.com's javascript and that should give you all the functionality. You can still block the tracking scripts.

You should be able to do this in your addon toolbar, by clicking the noscript icon.

After flipping that back and forth a bit I'm reasonably sure it's SA's scripts that's actually loving it up.

I wasn't terribly concerned with tracking scripts and google analytics, it's the fact that when I reload a session after restarting Firefox (since FF11) that tabs I have in SA would refresh to a forumid=-1 error page.

Markovnikov
Nov 6, 2010
I'm having the same problems as arioch, but they only started with the last Firefox update. Blocking everything with noscript fixed it, but fucks up SA functionality. Chrome time I guess :/

Dodoman
Feb 26, 2009

A moment of laxity
A lifetime of regret
Lipstick Apathy

Doc V posted:

:megaman:

What site is this? Or did you make it yourself?

This is just awesome.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice
NoRedirect with this as a destination/blocked rule didn't work either:

code:
http://forums\.somethingawful\.com/.*forumid=-1

ICA
Nov 23, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Boo
I have an issue.

I usually don't have this type of problemn but for some reason I've got Babylon search installed on my Firefox. How the eff do I remove this? Had a fiddle about in settings and changed my search to no avail.

TwoKnives
Dec 25, 2004

Horrible, horrible shoes!

ICA posted:

I have an issue.

I usually don't have this type of problemn but for some reason I've got Babylon search installed on my Firefox. How the eff do I remove this? Had a fiddle about in settings and changed my search to no avail.

Have a look for an entry for it in Add/Remove programs.

ICA
Nov 23, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Boo
I hadn't considered that actually, thanks.

Yeah, no avail :(

Doc V
Mar 20, 2010

Dodoman posted:

What site is this? Or did you make it yourself?

This is just awesome.

Made it myself.

TwoKnives
Dec 25, 2004

Horrible, horrible shoes!

ICA posted:

I hadn't considered that actually, thanks.

Yeah, no avail :(

http://support.mozilla.org/en-US/questions/746530

Look through the solutions which detail how to reset the Babylon entries in about :config. That should sort it out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh
Using Aurora 13 - YouTube videos and some other Flash videos don't play. BBC videos seem to play using Flash. Anyone else got this problem?

Edit: Flashblock was causing it. Hope the FB dudes fix that soon.

WattsvilleBlues fucked around with this message at 00:09 on Mar 20, 2012