Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

B4Ctom1
Oct 5, 2003

OVERWORKED COCK
Slippery Tilde

PainterofCrap posted:

Once you got it into a vise, it finally realized that you were serious.

Close one!
http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=b1f_1331686373

past close and into horrible territory
http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=ffc_1331759904

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suniikaa
Jul 4, 2004

Johnny Walker Wisdom

B4Ctom1 posted:

Close one!
http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=b1f_1331686373

past close and into horrible territory
http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=ffc_1331759904

Whoever was running that dyno should have been paying attention and killed it before it got to that point. You can obviously hear and see something is wrong before it explodes.

PhotoKirk
Jul 2, 2007

insert witty text here

I cringed every time his shirt got close to those belts and pulleys. :cripes:

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

Suniikaa posted:

Whoever was running that dyno should have been paying attention and killed it before it got to that point. You can obviously hear and see something is wrong before it explodes.

yeah... I would have cut it when it started laboring a bit and I think I saw a couple puffs of smoke come out from around the area of the head. That says to me "gently caress! Something isn't sealing and is about to come unglued!"

Paul Boz_
Dec 21, 2003

Sin City

kastein posted:

yeah... I would have cut it when it started laboring a bit and I think I saw a couple puffs of smoke come out from around the area of the head. That says to me "gently caress! Something isn't sealing and is about to come unglued!"

There is black smoke shooting straight out of the turbo outlet and clear knocking before the throttle is even opened up. That looks intentional (all be it stupid).

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug

Dr 14 INCH DICK Md posted:

VW poo poo

Holy poo poo, that is the exact same setup as my friends '98 Audi A6. I've been there.

Right side we were able to hammer out with an air hammer, left side we could turn out ever so slowly (even though the "hole" isn't threaded). But that wasnt' until we'd used penetrating oil, fire, and a BFH which only served to bend the thingamajig the bolt sits in.

We replaced both sides with stainless bolts.

The head-off-pull-it-out-by-the-threads is genius!

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Dielectric posted:

Do go on. The idea of a pickup that can handle intrigues me. I started looking and it seemed like more people are interested in bro lifts than re-creating an El Camino.

not to derail this thread or anything but...
the ranger is about 3000lbs WET
the weight distribution is horrid but it's a truck.
roush swaybar kits are cheap
good shocks are also cheap-ish (I put Edelbrock performer IAS' on there, not great but cheap)
good springs are impossible to find so that's a minus but you can still get 1-2" lowering springs.
swap in an explorer axle to drop the rear a couple inches (might require you to chop the swaybar links)
cheap NAPA camber kit
Aero wheels and some 235/65 tires

^^it will surprise you and it will be fun, and you will hate railroad tracks.

If you feel like getting really ricey, you can always work on reducing unsprung weight. Tubular control arms, decent leaf springs, etc...

Back on topic:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_vBWtq_uacs&t=1m19s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_vBWtq_uacs

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.
Horrible entomological failure.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

:stare:

Holy gently caress, are those bees or wasps?

Philip J Fry
Apr 25, 2007

go outside and have a blast
Yellow jackets from hell.

'55 Chevy apparently? What'd the owner do, park it in the garage with the window down in '57 and then die in their sleep for some poor soul to stumble upon?

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
After a certain point I'd just let 'em have the car, which is what I imagine he did.

Lord Gaga
May 9, 2010

Dr 14 INCH DICK Md posted:

After a certain point I'd just let 'em have the car, which is what I imagine he did.

Some way some how you will convince yourself what a great idea it is to buy that car.

Brigdh
Nov 23, 2007

That's not an oil leak. That's the automatic oil change and chassis protection feature.

Lord Gaga posted:

Some way some how you will convince yourself what a great idea it is to buy that car.

needs to be cleansed with a gas fire first

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5

Holy poo poo. What if it sucked his hand in??

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Ziploc posted:

It would probably shut down before it got to the elbow.

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

What this sausage party needs is a big dollop of ketchup! Too bad I didn't make any. :(

Ziploc posted:

Yeah, hand anywhere near a runaway detroit is a pretty idiotic thing to do. This is why you keep something large and slightly rubbery nearby.

And also why every single detroit should have the "oh poo poo" lever on it that's designed specifically to stop that.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Hypnolobster posted:

Yeah, hand anywhere near a runaway detroit is a pretty idiotic thing to do. This is why you keep something large and slightly rubbery nearby.

We used to keep something red and full of compressed carbon dioxide nearby. Works a treat, and you don't need to touch it or even get particularly close.

Friar Zucchini
Aug 6, 2010

What causes diesels to runaway like that? If you're driving, can you just shift to a high gear and pop the clutch to kill it?

Urit
Oct 22, 2010

Friar Zucchini posted:

What causes diesels to runaway like that? If you're driving, can you just shift to a high gear and pop the clutch to kill it?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diesel_engine_runaway

Basically, it starts burning its own oil for fuel instead of the real fuel.

And yes, as per that article: "and in a vehicle with a manual transmission it is possible to stop the engine by engaging a high gear (ie 4th, 5th, 6th etc), with foot brake & parking brake fully applied, and letting out the clutch quickly to slow the engine RPM to a stop, without moving the vehicle."

Urit fucked around with this message at 02:07 on Mar 17, 2012

stone soup
Jul 8, 2004

Friar Zucchini posted:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AG1MnXkHhlM

This one is doing it on its own oil, supposedly. Im not sure if thats always the case though

The link is to a couple guys intentionally causing the runaway with a giant motor thats just bouncing around the ground for the most part.

Edit; It was posted here a while back.

stone soup fucked around with this message at 02:07 on Mar 17, 2012

Opensourcepirate
Aug 1, 2004

Except Wednesdays
Diesels can run away for different reasons. One of the common ones on turbocharged vehicles is that the turbo starts leaking oil, and the engine runs on the oil. You hope that dropping the clutch in 5th gear will kill it, but it's no guarantee. Cutting off the air supply is your best bet if you have time/access.

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
My Mom's old Volvo did that once...turns out it had no coolant.

The head gasket was completely gone. I'm amazed she made it back after driving 30+ miles.

e: It wasn't a diesel.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Plinkey posted:

My Mom's old Volvo did that once...turns out it had no coolant.
e: It wasn't a diesel.

No it didn't.

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

some texas redneck posted:

No it didn't.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dieseling

I was referring to running when the ignition was off. Of course it couldn't run away because there was no power to the injectors/pump.

I wasn't very clear, sorry.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

I remember reading a story a while back -- maybe even in A/T on this forum, I dunno -- from a guy working the oil fields. Apparently there can be so much oil in the air around a rig that the trucks will occasionally run for a while with the fuel supply cut off. Literally the only way to shut them off then is to block the intake with whatever you have at hand. I remember the story had an ending something like:

"Well, that day we discovered that not only will an industrial truck run on diesel fuel, its own crankcase and turbo oil, and a suspended mist of fresh crude...it will also run quite happily on newspapers, shop rags, and an entire set of workman's coveralls."

DocCynical
Jan 9, 2003

That is not possible just now
I know in Alberta any diesel engine is required to have a positive air shutoff on the intake. And here at least it isn't because of suspended oil, but natural gas.

I'm wondering in the 3 generators on the rig I am building have them.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Sagebrush posted:

I remember reading a story a while back -- maybe even in A/T on this forum, I dunno -- from a guy working the oil fields. Apparently there can be so much oil in the air around a rig that the trucks will occasionally run for a while with the fuel supply cut off. Literally the only way to shut them off then is to block the intake with whatever you have at hand. I remember the story had an ending something like:

"Well, that day we discovered that not only will an industrial truck run on diesel fuel, its own crankcase and turbo oil, and a suspended mist of fresh crude...it will also run quite happily on newspapers, shop rags, and an entire set of workman's coveralls."

I've heard tell of a phone book being sucked into the intake. No idea how much truth there is to that.

Sir Cornelius
Oct 30, 2011

nm posted:

You may want to see what the VW tool costs.

The VW/Audi Dual Ball Joint Extractor tools are Klann 0250-40 ($500) and Klann 0250-402 ($100).

Might very well not be worth it. Just stay the gently caress away from wrenching VWs and Audis and you'll be fine and not in the danger zone for spontaneous combustion.

Das Volk
Nov 19, 2002

by Cyrano4747
Speaking of diesels: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kUurXdTPgfg
:hitler:

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Das Volk posted:

I love the exposed rockers.

Interesting how little things have changed since back then, startup is pretty much the same as what I'm used to.

Sir Cornelius
Oct 30, 2011

Das Volk posted:

That thing doesn't have a real wiring harness or any ball joints. Hitler saved the best things for himself and carefully planned to automotively destroy the rest of the world.

thecobra
Aug 9, 2011

by Y Kant Ozma Boo
This is too funny not to post.
http://youtu.be/uwp0K7Huisw

Idiot A drove 12 hours from the US to come to this place in Ontario where Idiot B does all this stupid poo poo with cars and other creations. Idiot A decides he's going to race another guy, but before that takes his Mini out for some hooning, rolls it and pretty well totals out the car. So they pull the car into the shop and backyard it back up to highway condition.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

thecobra posted:

Idiot A drove 12 hours from the US to come to this place in Ontario where Idiot B does all this stupid poo poo with cars and other creations. Idiot A decides he's going to race another guy, but before that takes his Mini out for some hooning, rolls it and pretty well totals out the car. So they pull the car into the shop and backyard it back up to highway condition.

I'm pretty sure I'd be happy to hang out with idiot B. I wouldn't want him touching my poo poo, but I'd definitely get under idiot As car with an oxy torch to "fix" it. As long as there was no photographic proof that I had done so.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

thecobra posted:

This is too funny not to post.
http://youtu.be/uwp0K7Huisw

That is an absolutely astounding bodge-job. I'd never let any of those guys anywhere near any of my vehicles with any kind of tools, not even my bicycle, but I'd sure as hell watch them bodge the hell out of someone else's car.

NoWake
Dec 28, 2008

College Slice
I lost my axle nut somewhere in Tennessee. I live in Northern Ohio.

I'd heard the right front hubcap pop off as I was cruising up I-75 through Tennessee, but I didn't think much of it at the time. As it turns out, that popping noise was the end of the stub axle shearing off at 80mph, it's amazing that my wheel bearing has held up so far! I hadn't touched the nut since replacing the axles 5,000 miles ago. I guess I should either look at the torque specs again, or look for a different supplier for axles.

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING

NoWake posted:

I lost my axle nut somewhere in Tennessee. I live in Northern Ohio.

I'd heard the right front hubcap pop off as I was cruising up I-75 through Tennessee, but I didn't think much of it at the time. As it turns out, that popping noise was the end of the stub axle shearing off at 80mph, it's amazing that my wheel bearing has held up so far! I hadn't touched the nut since replacing the axles 5,000 miles ago. I guess I should either look at the torque specs again, or look for a different supplier for axles.

Your brake disc pressing on the calliper is the only thing keeping that wheel attached....

BeastPussy
Jul 15, 2003

im so mumped up lmao

D C posted:

Your brake disc pressing on the calliper is the only thing keeping that wheel attached....

and the teeny tiny screw holding the rotor to the hub.

Sir Cornelius
Oct 30, 2011

KozmoNaut posted:

That is an absolutely astounding bodge-job. I'd never let any of those guys anywhere near any of my vehicles with any kind of tools, not even my bicycle, but I'd sure as hell watch them bodge the hell out of someone else's car.

Don't be that harsh. I've wrenched your vehicles in an absolutely non-sober just-awoken Sunday state of mind. There's been incidents and accidents.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

NoWake posted:

I hadn't touched the nut since replacing the axles 5,000 miles ago. I guess I should either look at the torque specs again, or look for a different supplier for axles.

Or put the loving cotter pin in like you're supposed to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sadi
Jan 18, 2005
SC - Where there are more rednecks than people

Motronic posted:

Or put the loving cotter pin in like you're supposed to.

No cotter pins on my accord, you had a little valley you are supposed to dent the nut into.