Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

The Clit Avoider posted:

I know you're already familiar with Eucharist, A Canorous Quintet, Gates of Ishtar etc, so I'll skip the obvious.

Eh, try early material from The Elysian Fields (plenty of gay interludes and additional keyboards for you too!), Ceremonial Oath, definitely Embracing, Eternal Autumn, Fatal Embrace, Gardenian, Miscreant, Sacrilege (not really unknown at all, but hardly anyone mentions them these days), Thirdmoon, Withered Beauty. The Moaning are possibly worth a visit. Same for A Mind Confused.

And since gothenburg is the topic at hand I'm not missing the opportunity to link the only song on youtube with the words "suicide silence" worth listening to.
Great recommendations, I'm really digging this Sacrilege album. I'm really surprised I never heard of them, given the Daniel Svensson thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fappenmeister
Nov 19, 2004

My hand wields the might

Misogynist posted:

Great recommendations, I'm really digging this Sacrilege album. I'm really surprised I never heard of them, given the Daniel Svensson thing.

For some reason I thought you guys were discussing this band

Killsion
Feb 16, 2011

Templars Rock.

fappenmeister posted:

For some reason I thought you guys were discussing this band

They were at their best when they were crusty as hell thrash. http://youtu.be/M_vw63fEc28 That record tears poo poo apart.

RHTITE
Dec 26, 2008

Killsion posted:

Because they are pretty much the only worthwhile innovative death metal band any more, not counting bands influenced by them or by Deathspell Omega of course. Mr. Avoider seems to love the old school and the bands which revive it, which is nice and all, but hasn't metal moved beyond this yet? Metal needs to move forward, to change its sound. Not rehash the same bloody thing over and over again like it has been doing.

So when I see a new trend actually doing new things, it is pleasing to my ears most of the time. Mr. Avoider seems to hate Neige and would rather listen to The Jesus and Mary Chain, which is fine and all, I love Psychocandy myself, but I still like Neige's take on it, since it is actually something different in this context and well, who doesn't like Audrey's vocals?

I'm rambling though, you guys hate Deathspell Omega, and Portal, I get it. It is unfortunate that you do, you are welcome to like what you like, but so am I.

Neither Portal nor Deathspell Omega actually innovate anything though, other than maybe putting a new tweak on how it's presented; the surface treatment. Innovation != simplistic novelty, and it's gonna seem lovely to read and might get your back up, but your opinion basically disqualifies you from being taken seriously in a discussion of good music. It's not a matter of someone trying to flex on you and be elitist (although if I did, it would end up the same), but you either haven't or can't show very much ability to critically look at music. Put it this way, Immolation on piano is still eternally beautiful music, Orion played on a couple of acoustic guitars is still eternally beautiful music, Suffocation's Pierced From Within played on harmonica is still eternally beautiful music(and I'm heartbroken that nobody has done this). Portal and DSO played in any other way would still be the same old mediocre stuff. The aesthetics are irrelevant. Even if this wasn't true, and you still think that they are the best thing since sliced bread, you won't in 5 years anyway because as you've said yourself, you seem to ride the waves of trends. That's hardly the mark of a great, innovative, leader of the pack type band. But all the same, I'm glad they make you happy :)

The Clit Avoider
Aug 11, 2002

El Profesional
I've got to admit I personally love love love posts calling Morbid Florist a trve kvlt warrior and elitist/purist/whatever. How the tide has turned.

Killsion
Feb 16, 2011

Templars Rock.

RHTITE posted:

Neither Portal nor Deathspell Omega actually innovate anything though, other than maybe putting a new tweak on how it's presented; the surface treatment. Innovation != simplistic novelty, and it's gonna seem lovely to read and might get your back up, but your opinion basically disqualifies you from being taken seriously in a discussion of good music. It's not a matter of someone trying to flex on you and be elitist (although if I did, it would end up the same), but you either haven't or can't show very much ability to critically look at music. Put it this way, Immolation on piano is still eternally beautiful music, Orion played on a couple of acoustic guitars is still eternally beautiful music, Suffocation's Pierced From Within played on harmonica is still eternally beautiful music(and I'm heartbroken that nobody has done this). Portal and DSO played in any other way would still be the same old mediocre stuff. The aesthetics are irrelevant. Even if this wasn't true, and you still think that they are the best thing since sliced bread, you won't in 5 years anyway because as you've said yourself, you seem to ride the waves of trends. That's hardly the mark of a great, innovative, leader of the pack type band. But all the same, I'm glad they make you happy :)

That Immolation piano is even better than the original track, pretty drat cool. If we were to take most music and strip it of all amplification or pedal tricks though, not much would be left. Lets take shoegaze for instance. The distortion and Kevin Shields guitar trickery is what makes Loveless such an amazing album, not the notes being played. If Loveless were just a piano piece, it wouldn't nearly be as fascinating. The actual music in terms of the notes being played only goes so far, and means only so much in the grand scheme. Shoegaze lives off of the effects used. So does this mean shoegaze bands are bad music because they rely on distortion and tons of pedals? I certainly don't think so.

Even giving Deathspell Omega the same treatment though, I think you'd find much like that Immolation track, it will stand quite well on its own, regardless of instrumentation used. Portal, like shoegaze, relies on the distortion to create their atmosphere. Their extremely technical playing, combined with their murky distorted sound is what creates this. The end result is notes not sounding like individual notes, but an amorphous mass. If that means Portal is bad to you, welp, oh well.

As for the trend riding, I really don't think of it that way and highly doubt I'll suddenly look at my Portal or Deathspell Omega vinyl in disgust and sell it. I look it as being accepting of new non-traditional concepts. Why listen to just norsecore #435352535315 when I can listen to something from Italy like Fides Inversa or Spite Extreme Wing?

Speaking of which, Spite Extreme Wing, really good band if you guys haven't heard them.

http://youtu.be/QejP-e0MEv0

Weaponized Cum
Aug 31, 2004

This post brought to you by the finest Miami cocaine money can buy ----->

Killsion posted:

Also Immolation haven't released a good album since 2000.

I'm going to go to your house and murder you, fucker.

Bagsack
Mar 29, 2007

I'm a fucking lobster
Here's a interesting cover of Slipknot's The Heretic's Anthem by Periphery
(or at least most of the current members of Periphery contributed)

It's really surprising how much Spencer Sotelo can sound like Corey Taylor at times. It's especially noticeable in the chorus.

Killsion
Feb 16, 2011

Templars Rock.

Weaponized Cum posted:

I'm going to go to your house and murder you, fucker.

Ok, I'll be a bit more lenient. Their albums have been spotty since 2000.

Ein
Feb 27, 2002

Feast of Burden posted:

They put out some incredibly rad stuff. I JUST got into them about the last month or so since I'm catching up on all the music I've forgotten to look in to, which is a lot. On that note, does anybody know where I can find anything similar to Crotchduster? I've been playing their only release NONSTOP for about a week since I found them (or him?), and I'm fiending for whatever this comedy / avant-garde / ??? metal this is.

You should check out Zimmer's Hole maybe? They're a skilled and plays a sort of comedy metal about metal.
You have This is Metal released in -97 when Power Metal was really exploding in popularity, later they had The Death of the Resurrection of the Death of Metal.

Here's a track from their latest album.

Bound by Fire(I think?) was the first time I was proto-goatsed.

A TURGID FATSO
Jan 27, 2004

Here's to ya, JACKASS

Killsion posted:

Ok, I'll be a bit more lenient. Their albums have been spotty since 2000.

I am going to come to your house and poo poo in your mouth, you mother fucker.

I don't mean to break up the textual slap fighting, but I would like to bring your attention to a brutal death/grind band from Sacramento, CA called Plague Widow. They play a style of discordant brutal death metal that is sometime reminiscent of Wormed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AUNHufICeJ4

They released their debut EP a couple of weeks ago and I have been playing it non-stop. You can buy the EP for $2, which is a drat good deal.

Killsion
Feb 16, 2011

Templars Rock.

Turk February posted:

I don't mean to break up the textual slap fighting, but I would like to bring your attention to a brutal death/grind band from Sacramento, CA called Plague Widow. They play a style of discordant brutal death metal that is sometime reminiscent of Wormed.

They released their debut EP a couple of weeks ago and I have been playing it non-stop. You can buy the EP for $2, which is a drat good deal.

I was gonna just dismiss this but you said Wormed. Not bad, but I heard not a lick of grind in there which was disappointing.

goatse.cx haver
Oct 17, 2010

precious metals

The Clit Avoider posted:

I know you're already familiar with Eucharist, A Canorous Quintet, Gates of Ishtar etc, so I'll skip the obvious.

Eh, try early material from The Elysian Fields (plenty of gay interludes and additional keyboards for you too!), Ceremonial Oath, definitely Embracing, Eternal Autumn, Fatal Embrace, Gardenian, Miscreant, Sacrilege (not really unknown at all, but hardly anyone mentions them these days), Thirdmoon, Withered Beauty. The Moaning are possibly worth a visit. Same for A Mind Confused.

And since gothenburg is the topic at hand I'm not missing the opportunity to link the only song on youtube with the words "suicide silence" worth listening to.

I just have to quote this and say that this is why I make sure I check out this thread on a regular basis. I don't know how much metal you have to listen to on a daily basis to know all this, but man you seem like you know every loving band ever. Your recommendations are awesome.

Also please keep arguing so that I may be introduced to yet more quality metal.

Monkeytime
Mar 20, 2010

Turk February posted:

Plague Widow are loving great. This is supposed to get pressed to vinyl next month, the same label that did the CD version is doing it.

Morbid Florist
Oct 22, 2002

and most importantly, I am free in all the ways that you are not.

The Clit Avoider posted:

I've got to admit I personally love love love posts calling Morbid Florist a trve kvlt warrior and elitist/purist/whatever. How the tide has turned.

Hey people can change :black101:

RHTITE posted:

Immolation on piano

I loving love metal played on piano. poo poo like this made me start recalling the lessons I had to take as a kid. So far I can only play No Dreams Breed In Breathless Sleep, but after 20 years of not touching a keyboard I'm impressing myself

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4s88vxHjWrs
This guy is filthy

Stay Safe
Sep 1, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Bagsack
Mar 29, 2007

I'm a fucking lobster

Morbid Florist posted:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4s88vxHjWrs
This guy is filthy

Thanks for sharing this! That gave me goosebumps.

And that picture of Mastodon and Barney (+Friends) made my day, but Brent Hinds needs to turn that frown upside-down.

Weaponized Cum
Aug 31, 2004

This post brought to you by the finest Miami cocaine money can buy ----->
DEATH To All Tour!

Sickdrummer.com posted:

Sick Drummer Magazine and Perseverance Holdings Ltd. introduce DEATH TO ALL 2012 – In benefit of Sweet Relief. This 5 city tour will feature a majority of DEATH's amazing musicians, as well as special guests. This tour is to celebrate the life and music of Chuck Schuldiner, as well as to raise awareness of Sweet Relief Musicians Fund – a charity that provides financial assistance to career musicians faced with illness, disability or age-related problems.

This tour will kick off in San Francisco, CA and work its way to Orlando, FL - stopping in Los Angeles, Chicago
and New York along the way.

The drums will be handled by Gene Hoglan (Individual Thought Patterns/Symbolic) and Sean Reinert (Human).
On bass will be Steve DiGiorgio (Human/Individual Thought Patterns) and Scott Clendenin (The Sound of
Perseverance). Guitar duties will be shared by Paul Masvidal (Human), Shannon Hamm (The Sound of
Perseverance) and Bobby Koelble (Symbolic).

To keep up with the tour details as they unfold and to find out about VIP or General Admission ticketing, please send an email to: ticketing[at]deathtoall.info.

Additionally, you can keep your eye on the following websites for updates: https://www.deathtoall.info or https://www.facebook.com/DeathToAllTour

For more information on SweetRelief and how you can help, please visit their website here. If you would like to find out about sponsoring the DEATH To All Tour, please email: sponsor[at]deathtoall.info.

I'll try my hardest to make it to the Orlando Date

DEAR RICHARD
Feb 5, 2009

IT'S TIME FOR MY TOOLS
Why can't they come to Portland? :(

Speewah
May 28, 2011
Has anybody heard the Soen album that came out last month? I was curious what peoples opinions are on it.

thepitgoddess
Dec 23, 2009

Even Death Metal Monsters Love Cookies

Weaponized Cum posted:

DEATH To All Tour!

I'll try my hardest to make it to the Orlando Date

Just saw this today too- the website is totally cheap looking, I hope this is a real thing. And I hope I can go and I hope I can afford it, OH GOD, CONTINGENCIES!
e- I will totally be at the Orlando date if this is legitttt.

It seems like someone tries to do this every few years and nothing ever comes of it, so I really want this to happen (and I'm glad Kam Lee is not involved).

Bagsack
Mar 29, 2007

I'm a fucking lobster

Speewah posted:

Has anybody heard the Soen album that came out last month? I was curious what peoples opinions are on it.

I personally really enjoyed it. It's release came as a big surprise to me. I knew Martin Lopez split from Opeth because of health concerns, but in several interviews he stated he wanted to start his own project. I wonder if Soen is really that project he kept talking about. Cognitive has like 3 excellent tracks, 3 good tracks, and the rest is pretty uneventful. I'm only familiar with Lopez and DiGiorgio's work, but the other musicians in Soen seem to be top notch. Naturally, Lopez is on the the drums, so this album has some insanely innovative drum fills and interludes.

edit: Oh, and they sound exactly like Tool, so there's that.

Bagsack fucked around with this message at 06:44 on Mar 16, 2012

Defiant Sally
May 6, 2004

Focus your Orochi.

thepitgoddess posted:

Just saw this today too- the website is totally cheap looking, I hope this is a real thing. And I hope I can go and I hope I can afford it, OH GOD, CONTINGENCIES!
e- I will totally be at the Orlando date if this is legitttt.

It seems like someone tries to do this every few years and nothing ever comes of it, so I really want this to happen (and I'm glad Kam Lee is not involved).

Eric Grief, the manager for Death since forever, posted this on Death's facebook page himself and said that he will on for the whole tour, so yes I imagine this is definitely 100% happening if the musicians dont back out.

thepitgoddess
Dec 23, 2009

Even Death Metal Monsters Love Cookies

Defiant Sally posted:

Eric Grief, the manager for Death since forever, posted this on Death's facebook page himself and said that he will on for the whole tour, so yes I imagine this is definitely 100% happening if the musicians dont back out.

So if five or so of the busiest musicians in music don't have any conflicts...ugh, I'm being a pessimist. I really hope this happens. Please don't let me down, metal gods.

satan is my oppa
Feb 18, 2012
What kind of sucker and fool does not like Deathspell?

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

satan is my oppa posted:

What kind of sucker and fool does not like Deathspell?
The same kind of people who don't like Iced, Symphony or Dream probably

Edit: To be fair, Block is definitely better in Iced than he was in Into

satan is my oppa
Feb 18, 2012

Misogynist posted:

I don't think I could hang out with someone that's never listened to Circumspice in the shower

Edit: Old Circumspice is my favorite cologne

satan is my oppa fucked around with this message at 14:44 on Mar 16, 2012

The Clit Avoider
Aug 11, 2002

El Profesional
For Kunsten Maa Vi Evig Vike is far superior shower music, with the added benefit of containing every good riff in SMRC (other than the ones written by Malign!) in their original context and (superior) composition.

[edit] Misogynist, you should probably check out the first Griffar album (which was technically speaking a demo I'm sure, at least that's what my cassette says).

The Clit Avoider fucked around with this message at 15:20 on Mar 16, 2012

Killsion
Feb 16, 2011

Templars Rock.

The Clit Avoider posted:

For Kunsten Maa Vi Evig Vike is far superior shower music, with the added benefit of containing every good riff in SMRC (other than the ones written by Malign!) in their original context and (superior) composition.

I don't hear any of the Prayer riffs in there... or are those from Malign? I hear the influence, particularly in the kinds of hooks used, and that seems to be a decent album, but it is a far cry from SMRC for sure.

Terra Tenebrosa recently stole my heart after I heard The Tunnels. I know it came out last year, but I'm pretty slow with getting to new stuff. I'm sure Avoider hates it though because they clearly seem to be influenced by Deathspell but I'm curious of other opinions. Everyone else who has heard it seems to love it. Musically it is rather all over the place but that really adds to the charm, and they really push forth a great atmosphere.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gyuPI7GLGdc

I hear they have something new planned for this year so I'm rather excited. 2012 is looking pretty good so far. Also of note is these guys used to be the great metalcore band Breach.

EDIT: "satan is my oppa" is easily the best name I have seen in forever.

Killsion fucked around with this message at 17:55 on Mar 16, 2012

velvet milkman
Feb 13, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Misogynist posted:

This is the most annoying post I have read in awhile. But yeah, I feel like Stu Block does Barlow better than Barlow. He's a really talented guy.

vvvvv
irony (or whatever you call that attempt at humour) can never be irritating, correct

velvet milkman fucked around with this message at 20:04 on Mar 16, 2012

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

Trees and Squids posted:

This is the most annoying post I have read in awhile.

whoosh

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Man 747s just all sound the same these days, loving same recycled noise over and over, it's just so stagnant and boring.

Now, the A380s, I mean at least they're trying something new, not the same old DC10 worship I hear out of all the other jetliners. :smug:

Wyzt
Mar 22, 2007

At the Heart of the Swarm

IRQ posted:

Man 747s just all sound the same these days, loving same recycled noise over and over, it's just so stagnant and boring.

Now, the A380s, I mean at least they're trying something new, not the same old DC10 worship I hear out of all the other jetliners. :smug:

You are obviously just not listening to the 747's correctly, you just dont have the ear for it. Which is obvious cause A380s? Really? Psh. Call me when they try something new thats actually an improvement.

EDIT: VV yea I didnt think it mattered that the 747 and A380 both have 4 engines, since it was a joke, haha.

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒
That's a two-engine plane in the photo dude.

Speewah
May 28, 2011

Bagsack posted:

I personally really enjoyed it. It's release came as a big surprise to me. I knew Martin Lopez split from Opeth because of health concerns, but in several interviews he stated he wanted to start his own project. I wonder if Soen is really that project he kept talking about. Cognitive has like 3 excellent tracks, 3 good tracks, and the rest is pretty uneventful. I'm only familiar with Lopez and DiGiorgio's work, but the other musicians in Soen seem to be top notch. Naturally, Lopez is on the the drums, so this album has some insanely innovative drum fills and interludes.

edit: Oh, and they sound exactly like Tool, so there's that.

Might have to pick it up. Thanks!

Illumination
Jan 26, 2009

Had no idea the new Meshuggah album is coming out this month. I'm listening to one of the new songs now and I'm liking it.

Bagsack
Mar 29, 2007

I'm a fucking lobster

Illumination posted:

Had no idea the new Meshuggah album is coming out this month. I'm listening to one of the new songs now and I'm liking it.

Yea! Koloss is the album I'm most excited about this year. Their last album, Catch 33, was a cool experiment, but I miss the song structures from Chaosphere. I think Catch 33 is impressive but very repetitive and hard to listen to all the way through.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
Did you miss ObZen?

goatse.cx haver
Oct 17, 2010

precious metals

Pretentious Turtle posted:

Did you miss ObZen?

Quite an achievement, what with all the hype you still hear about Bleed being the most bestest song forever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bagsack
Mar 29, 2007

I'm a fucking lobster

Pretentious Turtle posted:

Did you miss ObZen?

Oh wow! You're totally right! obZen is one of the strongest Meshuggah releases too! Combustion is one of those songs that gets me so amped up every time I hear it.