Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MrBigglesworth
Mar 26, 2005

Lover of Fuzzy Meatloaf
In..loving...sane.

How many billions of market cap is Apple growing on a daily basis?

+$18/share at 932,370,000 shares outstanding is showing their market cap to have increased today alone by $16,782,660,000.

This is madness.

Edit=AAPL up $20.72/share = $19,318,706,400. So in just a few short hours even, Apple market cap increased $2.5Billion.

Edid=Just touched $590. $600 by Friday I bet.

MrBigglesworth fucked around with this message at 18:19 on Mar 14, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Turkeybone
Dec 9, 2006

:chef: :eng99:

MrBigglesworth posted:

In..loving...sane.

How many billions of market cap is Apple growing on a daily basis?

+$18/share at 932,370,000 shares outstanding is showing their market cap to have increased today alone by $16,782,660,000.

This is madness.

THIS

IS

APPLE!!!

588... yeah when I said on the train to 600 I didn't mean in one day.

I mean it's been riding the upper bollinger band but today we're going wayy fast. At least like, QCOM has a reasonable recent base that makes me okay with its movement. AAPL pauses like 3 days at a time and thats it.

Turkeybone fucked around with this message at 18:15 on Mar 14, 2012

The Welper
Nov 27, 2007
Don't... Touch... The Case.

Turkeybone posted:

THIS

IS

APPLE!!!

588... yeah when I said on the train to 600 I didn't mean in one day.

$593 anyone?

I regret not buying into a handful of shares when it breached $400 a while back. Who'd have thought this would be what happens?

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007

The Welper posted:

$593 anyone?

I regret not buying into a handful of shares when it breached $400 a while back. Who'd have thought this would be what happens?

I might sell when it's about to hit 600 because I'm sure it's going to fall like 20-30 points before going back up again... but... I love watching this ride.

e: May have estimated it wrongly, looks like massive selloffs occuring before 598~ territory.

Shmoogy fucked around with this message at 18:43 on Mar 14, 2012

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Shmoogy posted:

I might sell when it's about to hit 600

So what, 50 minutes, an hour?

e: I jinxed it!

Doc Hawkins fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Mar 14, 2012

Dolphin
Dec 5, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I'm sure there's a lesson to be learned here... I'm just not sure what it is yet.

idolmind86
Jun 13, 2003

It's better to burn out than to fade away.

It's even better to work out, numbnuts.
What's the goon consensus on the GLD?

I have a loss in it right now so I don't know if I should sell. I feel like if the market continues to make gains that gold is going to continue to fall.

Should I dump it now at a slight loss or risk it going down even further. It's had bad performance ever since I bought it.

Pappyland
Jun 17, 2004

There's no limit to your imagination!
College Slice
What might be some good triggers to place on AAPL at this point?

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

The Welper posted:

$593 anyone?

As his dying gesture, Steve Jobs gave us the first $1 trillion market cap.

Hobologist
May 4, 2007

We'll have one entire section labelled "for degenerates"
Do you all honestly think that one out of every fifty dollars earned by the entirety of corporate America will be earned by Apple?

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007

Hobologist posted:

Do you all honestly think that one out of every fifty dollars earned by the entirety of corporate America will be earned by Apple?

Potentially- They bought components for 50M new iPads, maintaining iPad2s for educational / businesses who want to roll them out, merging macbook air + pro to potentially offer more variety/cheaper options in smaller sizes/better battery life, refreshing Mac Pro with the new Sandy Bridge Xeons, apple TV doing better than expected with components for 5M TVs being negotiated/dealt with, 7 inch iPad, new iPhone. They're also doing quite well in China now which is a huge market with a lot of spending power.

They've definitely got the potential to hit $800/share unless they abysmally gently caress something up.

Shmoogy fucked around with this message at 22:53 on Mar 14, 2012

Inverse Icarus
Dec 4, 2003

I run SyncRPG, and produce original, digital content for the Pathfinder RPG, designed from the ground up to be played online.

Inverse Icarus posted:

Pulled the trigger on ARR after the drop on Friday.

See what shakes out.

aaaaaaag

Cheesemaster200
Feb 11, 2004

Guard of the Citadel

Shmoogy posted:

Potentially- They bought components for 50M new iPads, maintaining iPad2s for educational / businesses who want to roll them out, merging macbook air + pro to potentially offer more variety/cheaper options in smaller sizes/better battery life, refreshing Mac Pro with the new Sandy Bridge Xeons, apple TV doing better than expected with components for 5M TVs being negotiated/dealt with, 7 inch iPad, new iPhone. They're also doing quite well in China now which is a huge market with a lot of spending power.

They've definitely got the potential to hit $800/share unless they abysmally gently caress something up.

I think actual competition is what will bring Apple down. There is simply nobody else who can match their products right now. Eventually someone will.

abagofcheetos
Oct 29, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Hobologist posted:

antishock
Aug 19, 2003

MrBigglesworth posted:

Yeah, ARR is on my hit list as well, it was oversold today and is recovering a bit, buy my time with them is now on the short clock.

Mine stopped out today. Even with the dividend I just broke even. To much risk. More capital just sitting on the side until this Fed / ECB / EU induced bubble bursts.

Apple pie anyone? Get it, because its 3/14? Pi day. Yeah okay ... I guess I'll keep my day job.

edit: that graph is very deceiving ... its comparing AAPL global versus just the US retail sector. Not that I'm defending AAPL's current valuation. Hell, I only own AAPL through mutual funds.

antishock fucked around with this message at 03:43 on Mar 15, 2012

Jack
Jan 19, 2001
APPL is interesting because there are compelling reasons why it actually should trade where it is right now if not higher, but on the other hand it is quite clear that this stock is being used almost single handedly to 'prop up' both the SPY and Nasdaq (with IBM being responsible for the DOW).

The other interesting thing is APPL is one of the few stocks out there that actually has capital behind it. It did about $30 billion in dollar volume today which more than accounts for the market cap increase, but still it only traded about 5% of its total market cap. Given the fact the stock dropped $25 in an hour it still remains to be seen how much capital will really back it should all the hedge funds decide to finally take profits.

I would say I sure wouldn't want to be in the stock the day it has some sort of surprise negative news though.

What is more surprising today is that the intraday close actually happened to be lower than the intraday open for only the third time this year, and the SPY closed red (although marginally) for only I believe the 5th time this year. At this point any sort of real market sell off is going to be deep and fast as they've forgone selling for almost half a year now. You just have to look at treasuries the past few days and realize that market dwarves the size of the equity market to get a glimpse of what I'm talking about.

Turkeybone
Dec 9, 2006

:chef: :eng99:
For once I agree -- the breadth is getting thin.. what really went up today besides aapl? I mean gently caress my calls tripled between monday and today. People took profits AND more people got in.. its pretty crazy.

MrBigglesworth
Mar 26, 2005

Lover of Fuzzy Meatloaf
Pre-market for Apple is butting up against $599.30 right now. We should hit $780 by lunch. :f5:

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

It touched 600.01, then dove to 584. Could the magic number have triggered lots of sells? Looks like it's recovering now.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
I read that retail investors are starting to panic into the market, and they are probably buying 50% APPL so ride the train to 1000.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Ola posted:

It touched 600.01, then dove to 584. Could the magic number have triggered lots of sells? Looks like it's recovering now.
I guarantee it was automated selling.

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007

Josh Lyman posted:

I guarantee it was automated selling.

And that it's going to happen once or twice more if it can actually climb back up quickly enough. I tried selling and by the time I clicked preview order the stock price had fallen to 591. It took seconds.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Shmoogy posted:

And that it's going to happen once or twice more if it can actually climb back up quickly enough. I tried selling and by the time I clicked preview order the stock price had fallen to 591. It took seconds.
Yeah, when the high of the day is $600.01, you know you have no chance as a retail investor.

greasyhands
Oct 28, 2006

Best quality posts,
freshly delivered
Buying NOK when it dips below $5 has really been working well for months now. I'm still a big believer that this one could be $7-8 by the end of the year.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".
Sold off XLS today with a small gain. I didnt really want the defense part. Holding on to ITT and XLY for a bit longer at least.

Bought in to DAKT.

lightpole fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Mar 15, 2012

duckslut
Aug 13, 2003

What do y'all think about AMD? It's gone up a lot lately.

duckslut
Aug 13, 2003

greasyhands posted:

Buying NOK when it dips below $5 has really been working well for months now. I'm still a big believer that this one could be $7-8 by the end of the year.

Yea me too. I got in around $6 for a long term position and I am having to fight the urge to sell it.

Amun
Oct 16, 2002

Josh Lyman posted:

Yeah, when the high of the day is $600.01, you know you have no chance as a retail investor.

A resting limit order probably would've gotten filled. Us pros may be fast, but we cancel/replace so much that we give up priority on price-time exchanges.

Foma
Oct 1, 2004
Hello, My name is Lip Synch. Right now, I'm making a post that is anti-bush or something Micheal Moore would be proud of because I and the rest of my team lefty friends (koba1t included) need something to circle jerk to.

duckslut posted:

What do y'all think about AMD? It's gone up a lot lately.

Why are people attracted to AMD, what a loser of a company, they have negative quarters much more often then positive ones, put out a poo poo chip, and now are trying to pivot into a new market, after having to buy out of their contract with a spin off that has failed their new singular purpose (making chips). I bought Intel @ 14.70 which was a really good price, I don't think I would even buy Intel at this point.

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007

Foma posted:

Why are people attracted to AMD, what a loser of a company, they have negative quarters much more often then positive ones, put out a poo poo chip, and now are trying to pivot into a new market, after having to buy out of their contract with a spin off that has failed their new singular purpose (making chips). I bought Intel @ 14.70 which was a really good price, I don't think I would even buy Intel at this point.

I agree entirely, especially about AMD- the goods they produce aren't competitive power wise, nor value wise.

tiananman
Feb 6, 2005
Non-Headkins Splatoma

Shmoogy posted:

I agree entirely, especially about AMD- the goods they produce aren't competitive power wise, nor value wise.

And intel is cheaper and pays a 3% dividend. Why even think about AMD right now?

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".

tiananman posted:

And intel is cheaper and pays a 3% dividend. Why even think about AMD right now?

If the rest of the thread is any indication, Goons are nerds and go with what they know.

louis friend
Oct 7, 2005

lightpole posted:

If the rest of the thread is any indication, Goons are nerds and go with what they know.

Shhh don't tell them there are other shares then AAPL available.

Fuschia tude
Dec 26, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

Foma posted:

Yeah -- haven't their latest releases been so bad that they announced they were leaving the consumer market permanently?

scavok
Feb 22, 2005
This has been a great week to own BAC. I should really sell it, but I can't bring myself to do it.

Rurutia
Jun 11, 2009

scavok posted:

This has been a great week to own BAC. I should really sell it, but I can't bring myself to do it.

It's so hard not to just grab the earnings and run. But I'm going to hold on to it for awhile longer...

duckslut
Aug 13, 2003

Shmoogy posted:

I am inclined to agree, just wondering if anyone had an explanation as to why it has almost doubled in the past 3 months.

Rurutia
Jun 11, 2009
Is anyone here in Pandora? Or thinking about it? I really love the company and I think they have an incredible opportunity here, but at the same time the financial strength isn't really there and I'm not seeing as much of the innovation that I think would be necessary to do well. I'm torn between making them my 'fun' stock and just forgetting about it.

Foma
Oct 1, 2004
Hello, My name is Lip Synch. Right now, I'm making a post that is anti-bush or something Micheal Moore would be proud of because I and the rest of my team lefty friends (koba1t included) need something to circle jerk to.

Rurutia posted:

Is anyone here in Pandora? Or thinking about it? I really love the company and I think they have an incredible opportunity here, but at the same time the financial strength isn't really there and I'm not seeing as much of the innovation that I think would be necessary to do well. I'm torn between making them my 'fun' stock and just forgetting about it.

Too risky for my tastes, what sets them apart from a new entry into the market, what locks people into their product, what prevents another company from entering their market?

Actually when I think about those questions the less and less I like the stock.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Luminaflare
Sep 23, 2010

No one man
should have all that
POWER BEYOND MEASURE

Since GAME are going under I've decided buy some shares in it. Thing is I have no idea how to actually buy shares in anything and was wondering if I could get some advice on how to do that?

I don't expect to earn loads of money (Hell I actually expect to lose the money I invest but whatever this is more for my own curiosity) or get in to the stock market game at this point in my life with so little disposable income.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)