Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

zachol
Feb 13, 2009

Once per turn, you can Tribute 1 WATER monster you control (except this card) to Special Summon 1 WATER monster from your hand. The monster Special Summoned by this effect is destroyed if "Raging Eria" is removed from your side of the field.
Asus usually makes good products. I am super happy with my Transformer, I've got a motherboard from them, and the handful of people I've talked to that have one of their laptops are fans. Personally I'm willing to chalk up the Prime fiasco as "some idiot dictated that they ship it before it was ready."
Although at this point I certainly wouldn't preorder anything from them. I don't preorder stuff anyway, but I extra-special wouldn't preorder from Asus.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!
For at least a decade they were King Dick of PC motherboards, I don't know if they still are because the one I bought from them 3 years ago is still a champ.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Their support (whether RMA, phone support, driver downloads) have always been terrible though. Their download site would routinely be down and always seem to 404 when you needed a driver the most. They finally improved it about a year ago after a decade of being poo poo.

They're still my favorite motherboard even with terrible support.

zachol
Feb 13, 2009

Once per turn, you can Tribute 1 WATER monster you control (except this card) to Special Summon 1 WATER monster from your hand. The monster Special Summoned by this effect is destroyed if "Raging Eria" is removed from your side of the field.

Star War Sex Butt posted:

Their support (whether RMA, phone support, driver downloads) have always been terrible though. Their download site would routinely be down and always seem to 404 when you needed a driver the most. They finally improved it about a year ago after a decade of being poo poo.

They're still my favorite motherboard even with terrible support.

This and the story about the cracked screen are a real bummer to hear.
Like, I'd even be willing to get a Prime if I knew that I could count on a smooth RMA process, but this just sounds... ugh.

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x38: FLOPPY_INTERNAL_ERROR

Duckman2008 posted:

I'd argue Samsung gives them a run for the money.

Honest question: did I miss Asus being a company that makes poor computers? Their PCs always seemed to get good reviews, I liked the ones I used, hence the thought process "oh hey, they might not gently caress up a tablet." I'm agreeing 100% that they did gently caress it up, I just didn't think they had poor support history like Samsung and others do.

Though Samsung tablets don't have nearly as many problems as Asus. Just don't update or you'll lose wifi! :v:

Speaking of:

:saddowns: Actually paid money for a tablet. I picked up an 8.9 LTE for around 365 on eBay after selling my Playbook for $200. Funny how much newer than the iPad 2 it is but still costs the same used.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Rastor posted:

Image persistence on an LCD screen is usually fixable.

Just want to let you know that this worked perfectly! I also did it on my parents' LCD TV that had some burn in going on and got that back to normal too. Thanks for the link, man!

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Great news. How did you solve the problem of needing to fill the whole screen with the image?

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

I made a backup of CM9 then flashed a CM7 rom, did my business, and restored my backup. Voila!

Kynetx
Jan 8, 2003

Full of ignorant tribalism. Kinda sad.

Proteus4994 posted:

To some degree this is true, but companies rarely ever whip out their dick and piss all over your face in quite as much of a brazen way as Asus seems to do.

You're suggesting actual contempt for the customer. I think it's more like galloping ineptitude.

fondue
Jul 14, 2002

zachol posted:

Asus usually makes good products. I am super happy with my Transformer, I've got a motherboard from them, and the handful of people I've talked to that have one of their laptops are fans. Personally I'm willing to chalk up the Prime fiasco as "some idiot dictated that they ship it before it was ready."
Although at this point I certainly wouldn't preorder anything from them. I don't preorder stuff anyway, but I extra-special wouldn't preorder from Asus.
I'm in the same boat; My motherboard is an ASUS, second one I've owned and I've never had a problem with it. I had one of their netbooks, too, and it worked flawlessly for years and I sold it.

I guess I'm one of those magical people whom have never had a problem with their Transformer - it was updated two weeks after I bought it to ICS and runs great! Every update they pushed out seemed to make it run faster.

I wouldn't hesitate to recommend them to a friend or family however I would also caution anyone to wait a bit on the purchase of any ASUS tablet as the launch of the Transformer was poorly done and obviously premature.

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

fondue posted:

I wouldn't hesitate to recommend them to a friend or family however I would also caution anyone to wait a bit on the purchase of any ASUS tablet as the launch of the Transformer was poorly done and obviously premature.

Do you people ever recognize your cognitive dissonance or do you generally need someone to point it out.

fondue
Jul 14, 2002

golgo13sf posted:

Do you people ever recognize your cognitive dissonance or do you generally need someone to point it out.
Maybe you don't know what cognitive dissonance is? It means that someone is holding two conflicting beliefs.

So I posted that I've used ASUS products for nearly a decade and only have read that the Transformer Prime I purchased has had a poor experience with some users. Do you invalidate all Apple products because some users had signal issues with the iPhone 4? No, other than that they've had a pretty good track record. The same with ASUS, they've had a good track record with their products but this recent incident with the Transformer seems to be the exception.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

fondue posted:

Maybe you don't know what cognitive dissonance is? It means that someone is holding two conflicting beliefs.

So I posted that I've used ASUS products for nearly a decade and only have read that the Transformer Prime I purchased has had a poor experience with some users. Do you invalidate all Apple products because some users had signal issues with the iPhone 4? No, other than that they've had a pretty good track record. The same with ASUS, they've had a good track record with their products but this recent incident with the Transformer seems to be the exception.

I've had a dozen of their motherboards (one died after 4 years because of bad capacitors, which plagued ALL manufacturers for a while), a netbook that's been dropped and been around the world with me, and their laptops are pretty well built. They just don't seem to have their poo poo together with the tablets. I'm certainly not writing them off as a company, but their RMA process has always been terrible, and support non-existent.

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

fondue posted:

My mistake, I read that as recommending an Asus tablet but cautioning against buying an Asus tablet.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

golgo13sf posted:

My mistake, I read that as recommending an Asus tablet but cautioning against buying an Asus tablet.
I think it was meant to recommend Asus as a company, but not their tablets. Is it that hard to understand?

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007

sharkytm posted:

I've had a dozen of their motherboards (one died after 4 years because of bad capacitors, which plagued ALL manufacturers for a while), a netbook that's been dropped and been around the world with me, and their laptops are pretty well built. They just don't seem to have their poo poo together with the tablets. I'm certainly not writing them off as a company, but their RMA process has always been terrible, and support non-existent.

This, the thing is that when they just made motherboards nobody cared that RMAs sucked and support didn't exist because the same thing was/is true for every motherboard manufacturer. With most of them, you're lucky if the manual that came with it was even parseable. It seems like this is still true across the board, look at the comments for just about every computer component sold on Newegg for validation of it.

"Turns out people buying whole devices like netbooks and tablets have different standards, who knew?"
:Asussay:/

golgo13sf posted:

What is this "you people" poo poo?

Frozen Peach
Aug 25, 2004

garbage man from a garbage can
I've had a Transformer Prime since January now and haven't had a single problem with it. I won't excuse their lovely customer service, which has always been lovely, or the fact that some people apparently have lemons, but for my own purposes I have nothing to complain about hardware-wise. The only problem I had was my own goddamn fault because I dropped my first Prime and shattered the screen. I bought a second one and am just as happy with it as my first one.

ASUS has made some really stupid and inexcusable mistakes early on with the tablet, but after a shaky start and a handful of buggy updates I couldn't be more happy with my Prime. It's up to a 402 hour uptime, lasts several days on a charge with moderate use, and the keyboard is absolutely awesome for when I'm doing something typing intensive. I wouldn't hesitate to buy another one, or even another ASUS tablet.

But nothing excuses their awful customer support. It's been poo poo for years. It's such poo poo that if I buy an ASUS product I don't rely on the Manufacturer's warranty for anything. Even something as simple as replacing a power cable is a frustrating experience to the point that it's easier to just buy the part off their website and be done with it rather than dealing with RMA.

Codiusprime
Mar 17, 2006

Splizwarf posted:

What is this "you people" poo poo?

We are inferior because we like Android and Android products. Have you seriously not gotten this vibe from every single YOSPOS idiot to stumble into this thread in hopes of enlightening us?

It's hilarious really. Though I must say the thread becomes much more enjoyable and informative when you just block all the rear end hats.

Edit: It's hilarious because who gives a poo poo what other people buy and enjoy. I know they do it because it's funny to them (oh wait, excuse me, they are just making sure that anyone reading the thread knows how poo poo Android tablets are because everyone who frequents the thread is a raging fan boy who can't find any faults in Android ever) but how sad of a person do you have to be to not only care what a random internet person buys, but care enough to poo poo on it for funsies.

Codiusprime fucked around with this message at 14:57 on Mar 16, 2012

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007

Codiusprime posted:

Have you seriously not gotten this vibe from every single YOSPOS idiot to stumble into this thread in hopes of enlightening us?

No, because I have no idea which people are from YOSPOS and which ones are just normal goons (because if I don't like it when they come here, why the hell would I go there?).

A registry of YOSPOS regulars would really help; there's gotta be a tasteless Megan's Law joke here. :bigtran:

(USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST)

Codiusprime
Mar 17, 2006

Splizwarf posted:

No, because I have no idea which people are from YOSPOS and which ones are just normal goons (because if I don't like it when they come here, why the hell would I go there?).

A registry of YOSPOS regulars would really help; there's gotta be a tasteless Megan's Law joke here. :bigtran:

I'm in favor of both lists and camps. That's just me though. Also maybe crimson Y (or Apple logo) on their sleeve so the general populace can know to ignore them at best and spit on them at worst.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

I'm already getting burn in coming back on my Kindle after fixing it. I'm pretty bummed that the screen on this is so iffy. I should probably flash a ROM that doesn't have a persistent notification bar on the screen. :smith:

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

Frozen-Solid posted:

I've had a Transformer Prime since January now and haven't had a single problem with it.

Had mine since dec 30th. No issues whatsoever. According to this thread it should spontaneously erupt into a fireball of glass and metal shrapnel any day now though.

I wouldn't be surprised if 4.0.4 lands (currently .0.3) by the end of the month. There's been 4 firmware updates since launch, including an update to ICS. ASUS is pushing out updates incredibly fast.

Still waiting for any news on the amtel active pen though. Pressure sensitive pen for drawing apps? Hurry up and take my money.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Had my Transformer Prime since January 5, been loving it the entire time.

If anybody is interested in entering to win one (with the keyboard dock, too), nVidia is giving a bunch away through the various tech news blogs and Android fan sites:

Engadget

Slashgear

Ubergizmo

IntoMobile

Droid Gamers

Phandroid

Android Police

Droid-Life

Android Central

Android And Me

Android Community

Vagrancy
Oct 15, 2005
Master of procrastination
More Nexus tablet rumors from Androidandme:

quote:

The ASUS MeMo 370T that was revealed at CES has been scrapped after Google contracted with ASUS to produce their “Nexus tablet.” Earlier reports said the device would retail for $249-199, but we are now told the target price is $149-199. The quad-core Tegra 3 version that was previously leaked is no more. Other than the 7-inch display, no additional information has been provided on the specs.

http://androidandme.com/2012/03/opinions/rumor-nexus-tablet-is-a-done-deal-to-retail-for-as-low-as-149/

nickhimself
Jul 16, 2007

I GIVE YOU MY INFO YOU LOG IN AND PUT IN BUILD I PAY YOU 3 BLESSINGS
Ditch a good processor and lower the price to "It's cheap enough that I'll buy it!" territory so more people can think Android is a terrible system because it's displayed on garbage hardware? SOUNDS GOOD GUYS LET'S DO MORE OF THAT!

Android is to Tablets what Aldi is to Poor People Grocery Stores

edit: I like Android, I'm not trying to troll here. I'm sad the system keeps being sold on poo poo hardware just because it can be. Apple sells their tablets for a premium, with good hardware. Why won't a company take a chance at making a high end Android tablet that really showcases the system? Other than the Transformer, I mean, since that's had myriad problems since day 1.

nickhimself fucked around with this message at 17:42 on Mar 16, 2012

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

I can't see a $149 tablet being any good. I hope the reason it won't have a Tegra3 is because they're staying with TI and using an OMAP5 or something.

Toady
Jan 12, 2009

Codiusprime posted:

We are inferior because we like Android and Android products. Have you seriously not gotten this vibe from every single YOSPOS idiot to stumble into this thread in hopes of enlightening us?

The YOSPOS thread mocks folks who justify poor-quality products and poor customer service, exert inordinate amounts of effort trying to fix something that's broken, or avoid obviously superior alternatives in pursuit of an imagined "freedom" utopia. When there are products that cost several hundred dollars with advertised features that don't work, or they have docks that weaken the glass screen until the slightest pressure cracks it, watching people rationalize it can be mind-blowing. Also, it's healthy not to take yourself or the things you like too seriously. :)

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Rastor posted:

Had my Transformer Prime since January 5, been loving it the entire time.

If anybody is interested in entering to win one (with the keyboard dock, too), nVidia is giving a bunch away through the various tech news blogs and Android fan sites:

Thanks! :cheers:

I entered into all of these. I like those odds! not really

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Hey better odds than the super lotto.

One more here:
http://www.asustechout.com/

Vagrancy
Oct 15, 2005
Master of procrastination

nickhimself posted:

Ditch a good processor and lower the price to "It's cheap enough that I'll buy it!" territory so more people can think Android is a terrible system because it's displayed on garbage hardware? SOUNDS GOOD GUYS LET'S DO MORE OF THAT!

Eh, the verdict on Tegra 3 seems to be that it's somewhat underpowered benchmark wise despite the cores, and that this years dual-cores from Qualcomm etc outperform it. Something like the dual core OMAP 4 would still be perfectly adequate for that screen size.

quote:

edit: I like Android, I'm not trying to troll here. I'm sad the system keeps being sold on poo poo hardware just because it can be.

I think a large part of what makes cheap badlets bad is actually the lack of optimization on the driver side. That diminishes as an issue with Google on board, so it's just a matter of ASUS finding the cheapest working parts, which seems to be one of its core competencies.

It's a delicate balancing act, but if they pull off a good device at that price point it will be disruptive. The Kindle Fire already came close to that ideal, but the UI/UX had issues and going by reviews it had unnatural touch response (the most important part of the device) so either they skimped too much on the touch panel or something went wrong with the touch drivers.

quote:

Why won't a company take a chance at making a high end Android tablet that really showcases the system? Other than the Transformer, I mean, since that's had myriad problems since day 1.

That's pretty much the story of last year. Aside from HC itself being terrible, the big issue is that nobody will develop tablet-optimized UI's if there's no market for Android tablets, and they'll be no market for Android tablets if there's no showcase of tablet-optimized UI's or unique features.

What the 7' seems to be aiming for is getting the ecosystem itself out of life support, which subsequently increases the value of other Android tablets.

Doctor rear end in a top hat posted:

I can't see a $149 tablet being any good. I hope the reason it won't have a Tegra3 is because they're staying with TI and using an OMAP5 or something.

I'm more worried about ASUS pulling another Prime than the specs. Though I guess since Google has a heavy part in the hardware design of Nexus devices, that threats mitigated somewhat.

Dodoman
Feb 26, 2009

A moment of laxity
A lifetime of regret
Lipstick Apathy
My ignore list grows day by day thanks to this thread. Codiusprime got banned for a poo poo post? Just because he was more direct doesn't make his post any more lovely than the majority of posts here.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

Vagrancy posted:

I'm more worried about ASUS pulling another Prime than the specs. Though I guess since Google has a heavy part in the hardware design of Nexus devices, that threats mitigated somewhat.

One of my main concerns about the price is that lowering costs might result in a lovely display running at 1024x600. If they can put a nice IPS panel at 1280x800 and a decent enough SoC to drive all those pixels then they're well on their way to a decent tablet.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

Doctor rear end in a top hat posted:

One of my main concerns about the price is that lowering costs might result in a lovely display running at 1024x600. If they can put a nice IPS panel at 1280x800 and a decent enough SoC to drive all those pixels then they're well on their way to a decent tablet.

I agree about not sacrificing resolution, but to be quiet honest I'm fine with a non-IPS LCD if its going to keep the prices down significantly.

e. Also leave the useless rear camera off. Even if its a good one (which it usually isn't) its an unecessary and stupid feature.

dissss fucked around with this message at 22:45 on Mar 16, 2012

lamentable dustman
Apr 13, 2007

ðŸÂ†ðŸÂ†ðŸÂ†

They could be going with the new Intel processor. Intel wants to get into the tablet/phone game badly but has a problem because they are trying to move x86 into a field that ARM obviously has a death grip on. They also need a strong platform to force developers to compile their native code in x86. I could see them help subsidize the price to get a strong foothold.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

dissss posted:

e. Also leave the useless rear camera off. Even if its a good one (which it usually isn't) its an unecessary and stupid feature.

This has always confused me on tablets - why not put that fancy 5MP camera facing the user for videochat-style goings-on? The only time I've seen someone taking a picture with a tablet are those lol-moron macros when someones holding an iPad up at a gig to snap a pic.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

Cakefool posted:

This has always confused me on tablets - why not put that fancy 5MP camera facing the user for videochat-style goings-on? The only time I've seen someone taking a picture with a tablet are those lol-moron macros when someones holding an iPad up at a gig to snap a pic.
That's not a bad idea... I've never taken a picture with my tablet, but I've used the video chat before on Skype.

Kynetx
Jan 8, 2003

I'd really appreciate a good rear-facing camera. I use my TF-101 at work with Evernote and taking pictures of things is often the fastest way to gather information, especially text. 5MP isn't enough pixel density for this in some cases. I usually end up using the camera in my phone which is excellent.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

After the phone with a projector built-in someone in the android laff factory thread joked about the next samsung tablet coming with a scanner, sounds like that'd suit you :v:

Kynetx
Jan 8, 2003

Dear god, it'd be huge. My SGSII's camera is all the scanner I need.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CAPS LOCK BROKEN
Feb 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

nickhimself posted:

Android is to Tablets what Aldi is to Poor People Grocery Stores

Hey now, this besmirches the good name of Aldi grocery stores everywhere :colbert: