Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

AxeManiac posted:

I remember people on the forums freaked the gently caress out, thinking it hacked their outlook or was scanning their contact lists and learning and planning to over throw them.

Peter thinks of a lot of good things, but I think he just gets side tracked too much. Wish somebody could reel him in and force him to make great games instead of just treating him like the video game George Lucas.

Apparently there's a Molyjam incoming, in which a bunch of dudes get together to make minigames that actually fulfill little tidbits of what Moly promised over the years:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AhmSHS9S3JZvdGFqS1lvRVA4VGotU3ItSUZMZ1JmTXc&pli=1#gid=0

Black and White was so promising, and then I finished the first level, and it became a dull RTS where the AI cheated.

vvv I stand corrected.

doctorfrog fucked around with this message at 08:58 on Mar 16, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

doctorfrog posted:

Apparently there's a Molyjam incoming, in which a bunch of dudes get together to make minigames that actually fulfill little tidbits of what Moly promised over the years

...no that isn't. That's people signing up to make game ideas based off of the tweets of the parody "Peter Molydeux" account.

Prawned
Oct 25, 2010

God drat Black and White 2, I think I spent more time in that game trying to throw fireballs at far-away towns than anything else.

I miss my awesome spiral-road skyscraper cities of doom and darkness, but I wish they'd kept the creature combat from B&W1.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Prawned posted:

God drat Black and White 2, I think I spent more time in that game trying to throw fireballs at far-away towns than anything else.

I miss my awesome spiral-road skyscraper cities of doom and darkness, but I wish they'd kept the creature combat from B&W1.

Few games have disappointed me more than Black and White 2. For all of Black and White's flaws, it uniquely grasped what it meant to be a god game. The advisors were awesome. The minimalist UI was awesome and ahead of its time.

Then Black and White 2 turned the strategy into literally an RTS and the pet management into The Sims.

A Black and White 3 that actually made you a God would be awesome. Also the ability to speed up time if you need to.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

ymgve posted:

It might just be nostalgia blurring my memory, but I remember this game as being less buggy. So far I've encountered quite a few bugs I don't remember from ten years ago - like in the middle of the combat training, it suddenly started playing the cut scene from the first "fight" again.
That happened to me too. I eventually got stuck on top of the world and had to reload an earlier save. Restarting the game fixed it for me.

doctorfrog posted:

You can hold down CTRL to speed through the combat animations, but the menu-battler style is still something you'll have to click through. Takes the edge off. (Many of the combat animations are worth watching a few times, though.)
Also, backslash (\) key = turbo mode. Have to run all the way back to turn in a quest? Hold backslash and you are there in 10 seconds.

Prawned
Oct 25, 2010

Alchenar posted:

Few games have disappointed me more than Black and White 2. For all of Black and White's flaws, it uniquely grasped what it meant to be a god game. The advisors were awesome. The minimalist UI was awesome and ahead of its time.

Then Black and White 2 turned the strategy into literally an RTS and the pet management into The Sims.

A Black and White 3 that actually made you a God would be awesome. Also the ability to speed up time if you need to.

Hmm you're probably right, they tried to flesh out ideas to give you more control over your people, but ended up losing sight of the little things which made B&W1 great. I'd be lying if I said I didn't have a blast though (pun pun pun).

Back on the track of awesome games, Mech 2 Mercenaries and Discworld 2 pretty please. I hated pretty much all quest games growing up, except for Discworld and Full Throttle; and that awesome Mech2 mission on the space-icecube/asteroid will forever be embedded in my memory.

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

Seconding Mech2 and also Mech3. I don't know if the rights are in as much of a clusterfuck as with System Shock but I'd love to own both games and their expansions.

Bart Fargo
Mar 24, 2005

Il Raggio Infernale

Zeether posted:

Seconding Mech2 and also Mech3. I don't know if the rights are in as much of a clusterfuck as with System Shock but I'd love to own both games and their expansions.

If they do MechWarrior 2 they had better include a soundtrack. I used to play that thing in my CD player almost as much as my PC.

http://youtu.be/GM3MwpkVYKQ
http://youtu.be/aboOgJSkrrw
http://youtu.be/5V5Ssig2rQo
http://youtu.be/rJ0LAs9KiXc
http://youtu.be/RB0oxICsbOI - The sound I hear in my head whenever I hear "BattleTech"

Jesus there's a bunch of these. Better quit or I'll lose the whole day here.

Prawned
Oct 25, 2010

Bart Fargo posted:

If they do MechWarrior 2 they had better include a soundtrack. I used to play that thing in my CD player almost as much as my PC.

http://youtu.be/GM3MwpkVYKQ
http://youtu.be/aboOgJSkrrw
http://youtu.be/5V5Ssig2rQo
http://youtu.be/rJ0LAs9KiXc
http://youtu.be/RB0oxICsbOI - The sound I hear in my head whenever I hear "BattleTech"

Jesus there's a bunch of these. Better quit or I'll lose the whole day here.

Oh god yes, I completely forgot about that. I recorded all the sweet-rear end music to cassettes and blasted it all hours of the day!

pixelbaron
Mar 18, 2009

~ Notice me, Shempai! ~
I am not ashamed to say that I played Mechwarrior 2 in my stereo system more than I played the game. :colbert:

I would also like to see Mechwarrior 2 eventually made available on GoG, mainly because my CD doesn't play nice with that virtual machine that's out there.

BeanBandit
Mar 15, 2001

Beanbandit?
Son of a bitch!
Mechwarrior 2 is my favorite game of all time, and I would kill to see it on GOG.

I'm not kidding. I would come to your house in the dead of night and murder you.

Bats
Sep 6, 2003

With great power comes great responsiblity...TO ROCK OUT!
oh man, the Mechwarrior 2 soundtrack, that was from back in the days you could pop the cd into your cd player and it'd just play the soundtrack. I used to keep this and the Quake 2 CD with me all the time because of this. Amazing music. I still have them stored as MP3s somewhere. Still hasn't gotten old.

I also looove the computer voice in that game.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NCmrp38KjYg

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
First thing's first: Today's weekend promo is Apogee shooters!

Second, not exactly GOG but it's related: DotEmu are bringing The Last Express and Little Big Adventure to iOS! (LBA is also coming to Android)

Sombrerotron
Aug 1, 2004

Release my children! My hat is truly great and mighty.

Galaga Galaxian posted:

B&W 1/2 would be cool to see on GoG.

OOhhhh we've got the notion that we'd quite like to sail the ocean. :suicide:
The first time I heard this, it was actually in Dutch.

The horror. The horror.

Bats posted:

I also looove the computer voice in that game.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NCmrp38KjYg
You and me both.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

AxeManiac posted:

I still say the first three levels of that game are awesome. Then they take away your pet and the rest of the game becomes some dumb struggle against poor design choices.

But the honeymoon period of that game is great, the pet stuff was awesome and the game had a poo poo ton of cool features, gestures, the graphics, the humor was great. But I can't ever, ever replay it until they add an option to skip the intro and that stupid sailing song.

Every single thing in this post is correct.

Sombrerotron posted:

The first time I heard this, it was actually in Dutch.

The horror. The horror.

The dutch version of B&W ruled, what are you talking about? :colbert:

(really glad that language patch came out... which took ages for me to download because it was a whopping 80mb (if I remember correctly))

Dissapointed Owl fucked around with this message at 18:41 on Mar 16, 2012

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:
e:double post

Geop
Oct 26, 2007

Can't run Anachronox on my Laptop due to some stupid crash when I launch it. atioglxx.dll related, but a complete clean-slate reinstallation, admin-mode, and compatibility-mode testing hasn't fixed it. I still get the same ol' abort.

No other folks dealing with it on the forums, so time to contact GOG :sigh: My desktop doesn't like RAGE, laptop hates Anachronox... Haven't had issues running games in years prior to these two jerks :arghfist:

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat
I wanted to start playing Ultima Underworld 2 but something is bothering me: the way the mouse "sticks" to UI elements and makes it hard to move the cursor away. This was in Ultima Underworld 1 as well but for some reason it was only mildly annoying there, probably some difference between my laptop and my desktop. Do any of you know how to fix this?

Athletic Footjob
Sep 24, 2005
Grimey Drawer
The Journeyman Project 3 is now on GOG for $5.99.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Blodskur posted:

Anyone know if this is a good game? I remember being really impressed by the pre-rendered 3D panoramas at the time and I always wanted to play it, but it was basically impossible to find anywhere.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Hakkesshu posted:

Anyone know if this is a good game? I remember being really impressed by the pre-rendered 3D panoramas at the time and I always wanted to play it, but it was basically impossible to find anywhere.

I think this is actually demoed on Riven's installation disk. I seem to remember one the Journeyman games being on that.

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'

Hakkesshu posted:

The Journeyman series is probably my absolute all-time favorite series of games. I say that knowing that there's some rose-tinted nostalgia going on, but objectively they are a solid set of adventure games that I think can easily compete with Myst, Broken Sword, The Longest Journey, etc.

I personally think JMP2 (Buried in Time) is the best of the series (and its also on GOG), but JMP3 is still a great game.

Basically the differences from previous titles are the panoramic view you mentioned, a streamlined inventory, the game now remembers where you were in each time zone when you jump back and forth, and also they took out the ability to die. (Previous ones had death screens, though usually you had to be pretty stupid to get them.)

While the acting quality is pretty questionable from most of the cast, there's a really great AI partner you have that provides commentary and (if you ask for them) puzzle hints. I think he's the highlight of the series, personally.

The story for it is pretty heavily tied to the second game, though. You can still figure out the overall gist of what's going on, but you'll be missing out on some context if you don't at least play Buried in Time first. (Playing the first game isn't really necessary because the 2nd game sums most of it up in its starter area.)

An additional perk of the GOG version.. and I haven't bought it yet so I can't confirm, is that it LOOKS from the description and filesize like they're using the DVD version of the game, which had higher-res cutscenes and panoramas.

TLDR: Buy it if you like classic adventure games. In fact, buy Buried in Time too.

macnbc fucked around with this message at 13:45 on Mar 20, 2012

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.

Blodskur posted:

Oh man, I have been watching digital distributors for, I think, five years now for this; possibly longer. One of my three most sought after adventure titles that just stopped working on my PC one day for some reason, before I lost the discs in a carboard box in storage somewhere.

Purchased immediately.

Bad Seafood fucked around with this message at 17:45 on Mar 22, 2012

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Hakkesshu posted:

Looks good, great B-movie-feel plot and acting, amusing sidekick. The puzzles are a bit easy but still fun.

Buried in Time and Rama are the games that convinced me to give point-and-click puzzle games another shot after Myst kicked my rear end as a kid.

Athletic Footjob
Sep 24, 2005
Grimey Drawer
Looks like a new site and Machinarium is happening in about 9 hours.

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'

Blodskur posted:

Also they've got a walrus mascot now. That is the most important thing, and must not be understated.

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled
Machinarium is a great game. Maybe a little bit on the short side but it's a fun adventure game.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

havenwaters posted:

Machinarium is a great game. Maybe a little bit on the short side but it's a fun adventure game.

It's also one of those games that you should check to make sure you don't already own because it's appeared on like every indie bundle.

old beast lunatic
Nov 3, 2004

by Hand Knit

Bats posted:

oh man, the Mechwarrior 2 soundtrack, that was from back in the days you could pop the cd into your cd player and it'd just play the soundtrack. I used to keep this and the Quake 2 CD with me all the time because of this. Amazing music.

Same, also add the total annihilation CD to the list of game cd's in the cd booklet in my car. :v:

Maybe its because i haven't played a jrpg since the playstation days but I'm really enjoying Anachronox. It also made me realize it not the jrpg combat I hate about jrpgs, its everything else.

kuddles
Jul 16, 2006

Like a fist wrapped in blood...
So I'm thinking about picking up Freespace 2 (and that source code package) because I've actually never played a game like that and have been going through a rut in gaming lately. Does it play acceptably well with a mouse and/or controller? I know a joystick is ideal but I don't feel like making that kind of hardware investment for a genre I don't even know if I would enjoy yet.

GoldenNugget
Mar 27, 2008
:dukedog:

kuddles posted:

So I'm thinking about picking up Freespace 2 (and that source code package) because I've actually never played a game like that and have been going through a rut in gaming lately. Does it play acceptably well with a mouse and/or controller? I know a joystick is ideal but I don't feel like making that kind of hardware investment for a genre I don't even know if I would enjoy yet.

I beat it with mouse and keyboard a while back no problem.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
I've played it both ways and I'd say the game is just as fun with a gamepad as a joystick, it just comes down to your preference. However, you can get a Logitech Extreme 3D Pro joystick which is what I have for like 20-30 bucks these days.

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul

kuddles posted:

I have a pretty good flight stick and I played FS2 with one (different stick but that's not really important) way back when and when I replayed it recently I found that I just couldn't make it work all that well. I plugged in my xbox 360 controller and fiddled with the configuration a bit and it was MUCH better. I wholeheartedly consider the 360 gamepad to be the best way to play the game at this point.

kuddles
Jul 16, 2006

Like a fist wrapped in blood...
Alright, looks like I'll try it with a mouse and my 360 controller and see which one feels the best. Thanks!

Thompsons
Aug 28, 2008

Ask me about onklunk extraction.

macnbc posted:

Basically the differences from previous titles are the panoramic view you mentioned, a streamlined inventory, the game now remembers where you were in each time zone when you jump back and forth, and also they took out the ability to die.

LAAAAAAAME

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
For those that don't read the Wasteland thread or check the main board often; seorin started an old school CRPG Megathread since the threads for individual games tend to wither away (and the RPG thread is dominated by JRPG talk).

Blodskur posted:

From their twitter:"Oh no! We had to move our new video debut to Friday :( Take a look at the making-of instead: http://bit.ly/MakingOfGOG"

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'

Thompsons posted:

LAAAAAAAME

Yeah, agreed. I remember the first time I played it though I was more frustrated that they took out the Biochips from the inventory. I thought they were one of the cooler parts of the interface in the first two games, but then they just went missing.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

macnbc posted:

The Journeyman series is probably my absolute all-time favorite series of games. I say that knowing that there's some rose-tinted nostalgia going on, but objectively they are a solid set of adventure games that I think can easily compete with Myst, Broken Sword, The Longest Journey, etc.

I personally think JMP2 (Buried in Time) is the best of the series (and its also on GOG), but JMP3 is still a great game.

Basically the differences from previous titles are the panoramic view you mentioned, a streamlined inventory, the game now remembers where you were in each time zone when you jump back and forth, and also they took out the ability to die. (Previous ones had death screens, though usually you had to be pretty stupid to get them.)

While the acting quality is pretty questionable from most of the cast, there's a really great AI partner you have that provides commentary and (if you ask for them) puzzle hints. I think he's the highlight of the series, personally.

The story for it is pretty heavily tied to the second game, though. You can still figure out the overall gist of what's going on, but you'll be missing out on some context if you don't at least play Buried in Time first. (Playing the first game isn't really necessary because the 2nd game sums most of it up in its starter area.)

An additional perk of the GOG version.. and I haven't bought it yet so I can't confirm, is that it LOOKS from the description and filesize like they're using the DVD version of the game, which had higher-res cutscenes and panoramas.

TLDR: Buy it if you like classic adventure games. In fact, buy Buried in Time too.

The Caldoria Heights Observatory is closed, due to the alien procession.

dud root
Mar 30, 2008
Dont forget the original C&C soundtrack. That album has 9/10 great songs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

havenwaters posted:

It's fantastic. I didn't find it to be too short; it seemed about right, and you get to do a lot before you finish the game. Also, the soundtrack is amazing.