Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Walliard
Dec 29, 2010

Oppan Windfall Style

Randalor posted:

So wait, because someone says that they're from Green Earth and has their troops using surplus Green Earth equipment, that suddenly means that Orange Star is at war with Green Earth? How does Orange Star know that it's not just a CO who went rogue, or someone from Yellow Comet/Blue Moon trying to stir up trouble between the two factions?

Because this game is poorly-written.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

Walliard posted:

Because this game is poorly-written.

No, it's because this is Wars World. Quick battles with hundreds of troops have replaced the handshake as a way of greeting someone.

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

Mission 9: Kanbei Arrives! (or "Makes Andy look like Richard Feynman")

Hi there, I don't suppose we could ask for military access through your fine country? Only...

Like a plague, here comes the Orange Star Army! Not content with their own lands, they've come to steal mine!

Actually, no, we're looking for a guy named Olaf, our Special Forces CO says he was last seen heading this way. You might have seen him: kind of plump, big beard, wears blue a lot, fond of chairs and poorly-balanced armies...

Never, I say! Never! Kanbei's Imperial Forces shall drive them back!

Guess not, then.

Oh well, whatever. Sic 'em, Max.

For some reason, for a really long time I thought this guy's name was "Kanebi". Eventually someone else said his name out loud and I took a good look at how the name was spelled. Boy did I feel dumb.

Day 1

Kanbei's Imperial Forces spotted us before we even crossed the border.
Kanbei's Imperial Forces?
Uh-huh. They're supposed to be the best-trained troops around. The high equipment costs and salaries must make them hard to maintain.
I've heard of 'em before! Kanbei's supposed to be the reason no one messes with that little country. Even so, there's no way he's gonna beat me! Hey, Paul! Let's go get 'em!

Right you are then, Max. There isn't much to say about strategy here. None of Kanbei's units have that little shield icon on them, which means they're all going to come charging at us. If Andy or Sami was our CO here, we'd probably want to hang back behind the mountains and let them come at us. But we've got Max - and his speciality is in open play. So this is basically a straight-up barney between two of the game's toughest COs.

So let's get to work on smashing some rocket launchers up (though to be fair, we'd be smashing these rockets up with Andy or Sami too - they're a threat we need to deal with, and they're nice and exposed). Hmm. 100% damage. I mean, it's good, in fact it's precisely enough to do the job but I'm used to seeing ridiculous numbers when I use a Max medium tank to attack a rocket launcher. The forest tile certainly isn't enough to explain the lack of overkill damage. But something is...

Paul.Power's CO Notes: Kanbei Kanbei's Theme
All of Kanbei's units get a +20% boost to attack and defence. This can make him a tricky CO to deal with, especially in terrtain that boosts his defence even further. His weakness is that his units also cost 20% more: figures that this is a predeployed map. Kanbei's CO Power, Morale Boost, ramps his attack and defence up to crazy levels.

Background/Personality: The Emperor of Yellow Comet is proud, honourable, popular and so dumb he makes Andy look like Richard Feynman. He generally has to rely on his daughter Sonja to be the brains of the Yellow Comet outfit - which can cause problems, since he's also rather overprotective of her. Kanbei's armies are some of the best trained in Wars World, but the extra training and equipment comes at a high price. He's also got one of the game's uglier faces, although at least he doesn't stare into your soul the way Grit does.

Still, even with Kanbei as our opponent, Max has got more than enough firepower to cope. Kinda sad that I didn't get a chance to show what the Yellow Comet rocket launchers look like there, since they're pretty hilarious: YC's units in general have a very old-timey look to them. Oh well, no doubt we'll get another chance. And at least you get to see Kanbei's "unit lost" expressions.

So okay, that's the rockets down. What about all these tanks? Well, our medium tanks can look after themselves for now, because not even a Kanbei tank is going to try attacking a full-health middie. But we definitely don't want to let Kanbei get first strike on our light tanks.

Okay, there's the attack ranges on Kanbei's front tanks. Couple of nice blind spots there...

Let's move into them.

And everyone else moves up.

Unfortunately, Kanbei doesn't have any fun "enemy first turn" things to say to us this battle. So let's see how the opening conversation would have gone if we'd picked Andy or Sami for this mission. The first few lines stay the same, but Max's dialogue would get replaced by (for Andy):

The best trained, huh? This should be fun!
I don't think you'll have any energy left for fun, Andy. C'mon, show me what you can do!

And for Sami:

The best trained, huh? Boy, Sami, you have all the fun! I wish I was going instead of you.
I doubt if this is going to be all that much fun, Andy. Ready, Paul? It's time to get busy!

... well, I guess that's what you get when you put kids in charge of armies...

Day 2

Kanbei moved his tanks up but doesn't actually attack. Hey, maybe he's going to give us military access after all?

Well, no-one's waving a little white parley flag, and we did already kind of destroy some rocket launchers. So I doubt it. And here you get a somewhat fairer assessment of Kanbei's defensive power. Even with Max's indirect attack penalty, we'd expect to be doing more than half damage with a rocket launcher going up against a tank.

Still, better than nothing I guess. And although you can't see the rocket launchers yet, we do have some funny-looking YC light tanks :).

My northern rocket launcher repeats the dose.

And the medium tanks clean up, looking to stay out of range of Kanbei's own middies. Hmm. Our light tanks seem rather exposed.

Not that much we can do about keeping them safe, though. So yeah, after saying I don't want to give Kanbei first strike... I'm giving him first strike. At least with my units sitting on cities, they'll have some defence. And the northern tank has an artillery backing it up.

Well, this isn't good. Saying that, Morale Boost doesn't do that much - it just boosts Kanbei's attack and defence even further. It's also quite an expensive power, too - 50,000G, same price as Eagle's - although because Kanbei's units cost more, they also contribute more to the power meter, allowing it to build faster.

It's not the end of the world - heck, Max's directs get a bigger attack boost day-to-day - but it does mean that Kanbei's essentially hitting these units like they've got no defences at all. If I'd been sitting on plains or roads, this would've been nasty.

Day 3

So yeah, took some damage there.

And Morale Boost makes Kanbei's units even trickier to attack.

But we've got to make the best of what we've got. Rocket takes middie down to 7HP, arty takes tank down to 4HP.

With that bit of softening up done, it's time to send it the tanks.

Does of course leave my northern medium tank sitting in artillery range. But that's better than having Kanbei's medium tank running around loose. At least it's got a city for some protection. I've got my CO Power charged up, but no sense using it now after I've moved most of my tanks.

APC retreats so that my mechs can get to work on a tank.

And my 5HP tank swoops in from behind to finish off.

The other units move up a bit while that's going on. Let's end turn.

That arty did a bit more damage than I was anticipating - I guess that's Kanbei for you. But I'll live.

And in the south, I lose one of my mechs to tank fire.

Day 4

RIP. Anyway, we've got a CO Power charged up, so let's get some use out of it.

My 6HP medium tank rumbles around behind the artillery unit that just attacked it and dishes out some revenge. I attacked from the east because I wanted to get my medium tank as close as possible to the retreating 1HP medium tank, in the hope of finishing it off next turn.

7HP medium tank taking down a 9HP light tank. Pretty good, considering Kanbei's defence.

And my rocket knocks down the other middie to 1HP as well.

Light tanks head north to work on some of Kanbei's forces there.

And my remaining mech gets to avenge its fallen brother by finishing off the southern medium tank.

Movin' on down the line.

Day 5

Yeah, like I said, that medium tank's gone back to a city to heal.

So let's not give it the chance.

Meanwhile my rocket launcher tanks down the 3HP mech.

And my tanks start their assault on these pointlessly capturing infantry.

I mean, what do they even want those cities for? (Actually, given we're deep in Yellow Comet, why are there even neutral cities anyway? Why are there neutral cities in any battle, at least in battles not near a country's borders? Why am I questioning AW logic again? It's just a show, I should really just relax...)

Well, we've got no tanks left to take down this mech - but we'd better, given it's a threat to one of our rocket launchers. 32% damage isn't much though...

Hmm.

I guess the good news is that we've got a fair few footsoldiers of our own to work with.

As a certain J. Stalin Esquire once put it, quantity has a quality all of its own. Certainly I can think of a few COs Not Appearing In This Game who'd agree with that.

Day 6

Finishing off those last two infantry, and done!

So many of Kanbei's forces defeated in such a short time? Withdraw!

With what?

Ah, don't sell yourself short, Max. We took some hits, but it's still an S-Rank and with two days to spare for the "win in 8 days" criterion. So, what's up next?

Fun fact: during my first ever playthrough of AW1 Campaign, this was the mission that I first got really stuck on and had to consult a walkthrough for. The irony? It's a pretty easy mission if you know what you're doing. Oh well, we live and learn. This is a classic mission for demonstrating how to take on a superior force with the help of strategy - Kanbei's got the numbers and the stat boosts, but we've got bases, chokepoints and AI fallibility. It's a mission Max would really struggle with, though: just looking at Turn 1, you'll see that his northern rocket launcher can't hit Kanbei's one.

So yeah, another author veto: you at least get a choice this time, but your choice is Andy or Sami - no Max. Andy's the best choice for this mission, but Sami should do an okay job. Bear in mind that we do have to win within 10 days to keep on the path to those bonus missions, though.

And speaking of author vetos... since I've got to play through Kanbei Arrives! twice more anyway, and I have to deliberately drag it out to 9+ days, and I feel kind of guilty about issuing that veto... would anyone like to see a bonus run of it with, say, Andy? Obviously the priority is getting on with the next mission, but it's something I could do if people want to see it. Thoughts?

Paul.Power fucked around with this message at 13:02 on Mar 16, 2012

Walliard
Dec 29, 2010

Oppan Windfall Style
Sami to keep things interesting (I agree that the next mission is fairly easy), no opinion on veto timeline.

I'm trying to think of an emote that sums up Kanbei. :japan: isn't right at all, but :black101: doesn't really fit either.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Walliard posted:

I'm trying to think of an emote that sums up Kanbei. :japan: isn't right at all, but :black101: doesn't really fit either.

:hist101:?

And Sami.

Manic_Misanthrope
Jul 1, 2010

Holding out chokepoints needs a balanced strategy and free healing so Andy all the way

Eeevil
Oct 28, 2010

Well obviously he didn't see it, or he'd be wearing a hardhat :colbert:
Voting Sami for this mission. I don't care too much about seeing mission 9 with a different CO, since it didn't seem that interesting aside from the time limit.

LordBaxter
Sep 7, 2009

I finally managed to make everybody like me, if only for one day
I hated this mission when I first played it. I picked max because I happened to really like stomping everything into paste and ended up being besieged at the two chokepoints. When I replayed this mission I chose Andy and I managed to do okay so that's why I think he's best here.

I don't think I ever actually chose Sami for a single mission in my first playthrough.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Andy as Sami's strengths (troop movement, property capture) aren't really applicable here.

Agent Interrobang
Mar 27, 2010

sugar & spice & psychoactive mushrooms
Kanbei apparently hit up a style consultant between this game and Advance Wars 2, because here he looks like Midget Hirohito. Compare and contrast:

to

Also, tossin' in a vote for Andy. Save Sami for missions where her strengths come into play.

Arctic Cress
Oct 23, 2010

Andy, better at holding chokepoints then Sami, at least.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
Sami won't be able to use her strengths here. Andy.

Also, how good Kanbei looks varies wildly. He's stylish as all get in AW2, but in AWDS he goes back to derpface.

Eeevil
Oct 28, 2010

Pureauthor posted:

Also, how good Kanbei looks varies wildly. He's stylish as all get in AW2, but in AWDS he goes back to derpface.

He's got the same face in AW2 as he does in AW1, going by the comparison shots above. He just trimmed his mustache a little and got a :krad: cape.

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

Andy, his repair skill is going to be pretty useful here.

KnoxZone
Jan 27, 2007

If I die before I Wake, I pray the Lord my soul to take.
Kanbei's army is cool, so Andy gets the nod.

Alien Arcana
Feb 14, 2012

You're related to soup, Admiral.
Andy, he's the defensive expert and next map is more Sami's speed.

(Fun fact: Max and Kanbei's direct units are precisely evenly matched - 150% damage dealt x 80% damage taken = 120% actual damage.)

SupSuper
Apr 8, 2009

At the Heart of the city is an Alien horror, so vile and so powerful that not even death can claim it.

Eeevil posted:

He's got the same face in AW2 as he does in AW1, going by the comparison shots above. He just trimmed his mustache a little and got a :krad: cape.

AW2 Kanbei is like a satisfying compromise between the two AW1 versions:

Restoring the japanese samurai look with ponytail et all, but preserving the more commanding outfit look.

Then again every CO looked :krad: in AW2 (and then :v: again in AWDS).

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

Here he is in Dual Strike form. Lost the sword and commanding stance. Still doesn't look like a baboon though, so I guess he's still better than he is here.

I vote Andy.

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

I can't help but wonder if the CO designs improved for AW2 because in AW1 you're mostly fighting against them but in AW2 you're fighting as them. Can't have the player looking derpy after all, that's bad PR.

(Ironically I kind of prefer the AW1 designs for the Orange Star COs)

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Andy

Holding chokepoints is his strength with that whole repair ability.

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

Sami forever and ever.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Mzbundifund posted:

Here he is in Dual Strike form. Lost the sword and commanding stance. Still doesn't look like a baboon though, so I guess he's still better than he is here.

I vote Andy.

He has deigned to raise a single Imperial eyebrow in recognition of Lash's latest bullshit.

Oh, and since he's not in the AW:DS campaign, another vote for Andy.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Sami. Always Sami. Those APCs need to be mobile!

Giovanni_Sinclair
Apr 25, 2009

It was on this day that his greatest enemy defeated, the true lord of darkness arose. His name? MARIO.
Voting for Sami.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

I'll vote for Andy. He's a good turtle.

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

Yeah, fair enough on people not wanting to see the Andy go-slow on Kanbei Arrives, as people say, it's not an especially interesting mission and deliberate turtling on it doesn't help.

Still, here's a quick highlights reel:

Kanbei's defence boosts show up rather more obviously against Andy.

YC rockets :3:

Operation Cripple Everything.

Last turn.

Kanbei doesn't express disbelief about how quickly we won this time.

A-Rank due to speed, unsurprisingly.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
Sami is my favorite OS CO, so I'm voting for her every time.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
Sami's transport boost is totally helpful here. :colbert:

Some of the COs might look downright strange, but I still prefer AW1's overall style to the later games. At any rate, he definitely looks much better in this game.

Koorisch
Mar 29, 2009
I love Advance Wars(#4), just wish that they had released Famicom Wars(#1), Super Famicom Wars(#2) and Game Boy Wars(#3) in the west...

It's like the Final Fantasy 2/4 thing! :argh:

e: I vote for Sami.

Koorisch fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Mar 16, 2012

FriskyBoat
Apr 23, 2011
I'm going to vote Andy, since I don't feel like making Paul work too hard.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Looper posted:

Sami's transport boost is totally helpful here. :colbert:

Yeah! Sami can move those APCs into position quicker so that they can be more efficient decoys.

Tendronai
May 7, 2008

My worst nightmare. It's a dream I have. I'm in a square cell, glass walls, just me and a little castle.
A vote for Andy so Yellow Comet and Orange Star can officially determine who has the dumber CO.

Vaos
Dec 30, 2008

Unleash the fiery Armageddon.

Tendronai posted:

A vote for Andy so Yellow Comet and Orange Star can officially determine who has the dumber CO.

One more for Andy.

Eeevil
Oct 28, 2010

What we have to remember here is that no matter what units Andy produces, they're going to be weaker than Kanbei's units. Meanwhile, Sami has an option with equal bonuses to Kanbei's troops: her Mechs, which she can easily produce out of all three of her factories without capturing anything. Also, because the enemy will be coming to her, the Mechs won't have to worry as much about their usual problem of low movement, and because of the enemies' high damage they won't have to worry about their low ammo, and Sami will have access to the boosts from her CO power more frequently.

Basically what I'm saying is that I want Kanbei to drown in a sea of blood and rockets.

Manic_Misanthrope
Jul 1, 2010

fair point.

Changing my vote to Sami
May the RPGs destroy everything in their wake

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

Eeevil posted:

What we have to remember here is that no matter what units Andy produces, they're going to be weaker than Kanbei's units. Meanwhile, Sami has an option with equal bonuses to Kanbei's troops: her Mechs, which she can easily produce out of all three of her factories without capturing anything. Also, because the enemy will be coming to her, the Mechs won't have to worry as much about their usual problem of low movement, and because of the enemies' high damage they won't have to worry about their low ammo, and Sami will have access to the boosts from her CO power more frequently.

Basically what I'm saying is that I want Kanbei to drown in a sea of blood and rockets.
Except for the bit where if I have to mech flood this, then I've already lost. If Kanbei gets on to my island it's very difficult to pull back from that, so the key is to hold him at the chokepoints - and while mechs are happy crossing rivers and mountains, they can't do much with seas. So at these chokepoints they'd be spectacularly useless.

I imagine if I used Sami here, it'd probably be very similar to the strategy for Andy, only with a CO not quite as good at it. I mean, I'm okay with that, but don't expect a mech flood.

Paul.Power fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Mar 16, 2012

SweaterGear
Jan 4, 2010

There's a Monopenguin! :swoon:
Gotta go with Andy on this one.

dont skimp on the shrimp
Apr 23, 2008

:coffee:
Andy seems like the saner choice really.

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

'Nother vote for Andy.

Also, I thought it was "Kanebi" for the longest time, too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

Triskelli posted:

'Nother vote for Andy.

Also, I thought it was "Kanebi" for the longest time, too.
Hehe, glad I'm not the only one. "Kanebi" would be a pretty dumb-sounding name, but then again he's a dumb-looking CO so I guess it fits?

• Locked thread