Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

This reasoning is possible for forums user idonotlikepeas!
I have been having a pretty lovely week, and this news really brightened things up. Good luck, Tom! Let us know how we can help.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

weavernaut
Sep 12, 2007

i'm so glad to have made such an interesting new friend
Just popping in to offer my congratulations and support -- you deserve nothing but the best of luck with this, Tea-san.

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

The bonds of blood transcend all others.
But no blood runs stronger than that of Sanguinius
Grimey Drawer
Wow, this is exciting news. I'll definitely buy a shirt once I'm not broke off my rear end.

I'm really looking forward to the next several pages. It's already very interesting to see such resemblance between Annie and Anthony.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Well poo poo, now I have to buy a bunch of stuff. :saddowns:

No, seriously, hearing that a creator of something I like is relying on their work while becoming or remaining independent of the parasitical publishing industries is the number one way to make my wallet fly open. Enjoy all my money, Tea-San. :)

Cannonballoon
Jul 25, 2007

Welp, time to help turn Tom's spiders into money. Shirts ahoy!

Matlock Birthmark
Sep 24, 2005

I wanted this to happen!!
Soiled Meat
Congratulations Tom. I'll try and get a method of donating to you as quickly as I can.

.Z.
Jan 12, 2008

@idonotlikepeas

I took

Also, yay my prints are finally framed and hung up.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Oops I tripped and fell on my computer and oops accidentally went to topatoco and entered in my credit card number whoops just clicked a bunch of gunnerkrigg stuff uh oh now I've bought it clumsy me.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Someone send help, I am drowning in shirts :(

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

I really hope this works well for you, Tom!

In related news, I seem to have made another Responsible Financial Decision™ at TopatoCo.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005
Congratulations, and good luck. You deserve it, Tom.

ABOUT DRUGS posted:

What merchandise is the most profitable for you? I know Topatoco is the best site to use, but do you see more from shirts or books?

It would probably be a good idea to put the answers to this and similar questions on the website, so fans who don't happen to read this thread know the best ways to support the comic.

Don lluvia
Mar 27, 2010
This is really cool and I wish you the best of luck!

Will probably be buying the available volumes soon.

derailed
Apr 3, 2004

As seen in your dreams!
I plan to get a Coyote shirt to go with the Court shirt I already have but my size is currently out of stock, so I sent a donation in the meantime.

I think I missed the message box that goes (used to go?) with donations so I'll just leave it here:

Congratulations and best of luck!

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary
This is excellent news. I bought 2 shirts to commemorate it.

Meanwhile, in the comic. Tom, if you made a wallpaper of panel 1 and charged like 2 USD for the ability to download it, I would totally pay those 2 dollars, because it is an adorable image :3:

voting third party
Sep 5, 2006
~
Your stuff is all really great, I'm sure you'll be very successful.

Lemony
Jul 27, 2010

Now With Fresh Citrus Scent!
Whelp, was thinking about getting one of the shirts since I already own the books. Guess that decision just got easier.

If this doesn't work out for you, there's no justice in the world.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

Tea-san posted:

That said, please don't feel you HAVE to get them from Topatoco! Wanting to buy my books at all is just great, and you can probably find them cheaper elsewhere; bookstores, Amazon, other places too, and all books sold let the companies know that people want to buy them, which might even help me in the long run.

I sincerely hope that in future releases you manage to negotiate a better contract with them on the basis of your earlier volume sales. Because dang.

Agreeable Employer
Apr 28, 2008
You deserve the best, Tom. :)

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

Zorak posted:

I sincerely hope that in future releases you manage to negotiate a better contract with them on the basis of your earlier volume sales. Because dang.

Has any new author in the history of the universe ever negotiated a good contract with a publisher?

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER
I recently became gainfully employed. I just got paid today. The first thing I bought was the court symbol shirt. :3:
Tom, you're the best.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

Fighting Trousers posted:

:toot: Go Tom go! :toot:

And suddenly, just like that, Tony Carver is human after all. I knew Tom wouldn't let him be some one-dimensional Bad Dad.

Next we'll learn how he subjected Brinnie to a campaign of abuse and bullying until she left the school, ensuring she would never again bother him.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Claimed an avatar from the repository post to celebrate Tom's freedom!

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten
Got myself an avatar too.

Heliotrope
Aug 17, 2007

You're fucking subhuman
Congratulations Tom! I'll look into buying the second book (didn't have a job until just recently or I would have bought it sooner) and I am perfectly willing to just hand you money for this.

Torgover
Sep 2, 2006

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
This is really fantastic news. As tempting as it is to buy all the shirts and prints from the TopatoCo store, I'm waiting until Monday to see if there will be an announcement of more new and exciting ways to give money to the comic.

I'm so, so happy for you Tea-San, though I am a bit disappointed that I can't point to you as the model of a fantastic artist with a day job anymore.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
Just popped in to say GO TOM GO.

I'm simultaneously very jealous and a bit :ohdear:

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

:siren: :siren: :siren:
AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE
:siren: :siren: :siren:

Roger Explosion posted:

Living off your art is every artist's dream, Tom. Congrats!

Living off your art and getting good praise is indeed utopic. Here's to Tom and his future ventures.

Fighting Trousers
May 17, 2011

Does this excite you, girl?

Fangz posted:

Next we'll learn how he subjected Brinnie to a campaign of abuse and bullying until she left the school, ensuring she would never again bother him.

:arghfist::( Aw, why you gotta be like that?

Krabkolash
Dec 7, 2006

With this hand I rolled 8d20

AND GOT 160.
Super stoked to hear about you doing this full time, like I was when I heard Randy from SomPos did it ages ago. When I get my tax refund in, expect some book purchases and possibly a donation!

Congrats again!

Diet Conan Doyle
Jan 15, 2010

Watch as I pluck the moon from the very sky!
Way to go, Tom! I wish you all the best. If anyone deserves to make money on a webcomic it's you.

And I love Anthony in this update. UNACCEPTABLE.

Soylentbits
Apr 2, 2007

im worried that theyre setting her up to be jotaros future wife or something.

Ghoulish Sandwich posted:

Well, he's at it full-time now. I hope he makes enough from this comic to get by... :ohdear:

If this isn't a sign for me to buy the books, I don't know what is.

Maybe he should get a guy to run the business side of the comic for him. It worked for Penny Arcade though that guy worked for free for a while.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Look at all these Gunnerkrigg avatars on this page. :allears:

This is very exciting news! Looking forward to the announcement on Monday to find out the details.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

The Walker posted:

Wow, this is exciting news. I'll definitely buy a shirt once I'm not broke off my rear end.

I'm really looking forward to the next several pages. It's already very interesting to see such resemblance between Annie and Anthony.
The best resemblance between Annie and Tony?

Minimalist Angry Face™

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
If I had a valkyrie macking up on me, I'd think it was pretty awkward and wouldn't know what to do either.

Daktar
Aug 19, 2008

I done turned 'er head into a slug an' now she's a-stucked!
Excellent news, Tom. I hope it all goes well for you.

As an aside, I started reading Irredeemable the other day, and the superhero turned bad featured in it is called the Plutonian, often referred to as Tony. Seeing Anthony referred to by that name as well caused me a brief moment of confusion.

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

The bonds of blood transcend all others.
But no blood runs stronger than that of Sanguinius
Grimey Drawer

1stGear posted:

If I had a valkyrie macking up on me, I'd think it was pretty awkward and wouldn't know what to do either.

I would either be extraordinarily awkward or think it was the most absolutely amazing thing in the world. Most likely the former.

Robo Pope
Jul 17, 2004

I AM THE POPE, DO AS I SAY.
This is great news!

I was planning on going on a Topatoco spree once I got my next paycheck and now I have even more incentive to do so! Planning on getting a Coyote, Court symbol, and City Face shirt.

As for the comic, I'm guessing this is taking place at least a couple years after the picture was taken. Brinnie, Don, and Tony all look a bit older, and none of them are wearing the school uniforms, so it looks to me like this is them in 11th grade or whatever that translates into for the way high school is done in Britain? At least the same grade Parley is in now, which I can't remember right now.

Pyroclastic
Jan 4, 2010

I'm still waiting for you to put those unsold paintings on ebay, Tea-san.
I occasionally spend too much on original art at a charity auction in April, and I'd love to be able to try to spend too much on those.

spooky attic
Jun 17, 2009

Ineffective at haunting cartridges.
This is both wonderful news and a wonderful time to stock up on merchandise from the store.

I wish for nothing but the best for you Tom and I am probably going to buy some books for some friends who read the comic.

(also I can't wait until volume 4 and I can't wait until I can find volume 2 ANYWHERE)

P.S. I hope this means that one day you visit Toronto for TCAF and I get to throw money at your in person.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ephphatha
Dec 18, 2009

Fighting Trousers posted:

Your avatar and custom title combo are brilliant.

Tom: What would it take to actually get volume 2 reprinted? I really want to buy all three in hardcover but... here's what volume 2 costs on Amazon currently. Plus Amazon tend to be dicks when it comes to shipping things to Australia.