Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

Cannot Find Server posted:

I've never been frustrated by running poorly. The only time I go "gently caress this game" is when lobbies start freezing left and right; when I run like poo poo, I actually relax a bit more, because fighting for the lead is honestly really goddamn stressful to me, especially as I'm absolutely awful at safely passing in this game (I was good at it in 3; no idea what happened). More than 2 or 3 races where I'm fighting for a win and I'm mentally worn out. It's one of the reasons I don't do endurance races anymore.
This is a lot like me. I do sometimes get bummed that I'm not so fast, but I know that the one way I will really lose it and cook every corner and bounce off walls and poo poo is when I am trying to get too aggressive. It's counter-productive for me.
Also, I decided years ago that I was going to do without assists of any kind, so it's harder for me to perform well; but when I do, when things gel and I feel like I'm in the zone and grooving with a car, then it's really really rewarding.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

Weren't we supposed to get cars for just competing in the last King of the Track, or is that just for VIPs?

GentlemanofLeisure
Aug 27, 2008

silverbullitt850 posted:

Supposed to be funny... Another internet communication fail.

As for Spec Miata, I don't think that's ever happening again, and it's my fault. I'd love to do it again, but after lapping all but 3rd (2nd?) place on Suzuka last time out, people weren't too thrilled.
That was one of my favorite races I've run with you guys...those Miatas are awesome.

I don't know how everyone else feels, but personally, as long as I'm not getting shunted off every few laps, I don't care if someone faster laps me 20 times. I've gotten a LOT faster just from racing against you guys and putting in time, but I'm not consistent enough to contest for 1st, yet I felt last night I could have placed top 3 if it weren't for some incidents.

Basically I'm saying I'd be down for Spec Miata on a medium length track with some good twisties.

General Probe
Dec 28, 2004
Has this been done before?
Soiled Meat

Deeters posted:

Weren't we supposed to get cars for just competing in the last King of the Track, or is that just for VIPs?

Everyone (who bought that months DLC) was meant to get the new DLC R18, hasn't happned yet though.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!
Oh Country Squire, you are the best. :allears:

Most predictable drift car ever.

VERTiG0
Jul 11, 2001

go move over bro

silverbullitt850 posted:

As for Spec Miata, I don't think that's ever happening again, and it's my fault. I'd love to do it again, but after lapping all but 3rd (2nd?) place on Suzuka last time out, people weren't too thrilled.

I'm sorry for mangling the poo poo out of your car last night, it truly was a fuckup on my end and absolutely not on purpose. Anybody who races with me on a regular basis will attest that I am not the kind of person to do that. My engine and trans got knackered bad enough that I had to limp back to the pit immediately anyway.

silverbullitt850
Mar 6, 2012

Hey you guys like to troll? I've got some pretty sick trolling skills. Just don't expect me to read anything.

-Colon Cowboy

VERTiG0 posted:

I'm sorry for mangling the poo poo out of your car last night, it truly was a fuckup on my end and absolutely not on purpose. Anybody who races with me on a regular basis will attest that I am not the kind of person to do that. My engine and trans got knackered bad enough that I had to limp back to the pit immediately anyway.

Yeah man, it's fine. I just got really angry because I thought it was on purpose- had NO clue who did it. Had I seen that it was you I would've figured it wasn't on purpose. All worked out in the end (sorry boaz)

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

silverbullitt850 posted:

Yeah man, it's fine. I just got really angry because I thought it was on purpose- had NO clue who did it. Had I seen that it was you I would've figured it wasn't on purpose. All worked out in the end (sorry boaz)

Hey, Pope's raping of my car was a freak occurrence. Then I went and over-drove myself and rolled my car like a 'tard. No one to blame but myself...

...and Pope.

Dukket
Apr 28, 2007
So I says to her, I says “LADY, that ain't OIL, its DIRT!!”
My best lap is improving, but my overall time is increasing :(

Pinky the Cube
Jul 21, 2010
Ugh, King of the Track is killing me. There's no homestretch for me. Even if I am well ahead I will always blow it on that run to the finish line. It's like ice. I can't figure out what I'm doing wrong.

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!

Pinky the Cube posted:

Ugh, King of the Track is killing me. There's no homestretch for me. Even if I am well ahead I will always blow it on that run to the finish line. It's like ice. I can't figure out what I'm doing wrong.

That square right before you join the main oval (forget the turn numbers), put the hammer down and keep it there.

When you merge onto the oval, there is a bump like right where you'd be if you took the 'middle line'. If you hit it, it'll upset your car and you'll crash. If you go high, you'll be slow for the rest of the lap. Try to stay below the bump if you can (essentially get as close to the cones on the right without actually hitting them).

Use as much of the track as you can and get right up against that outside wall. You want to try to set it up so you get as low of a line as possible through "Brickyard 1". Don't touch the grass. DO NOT Touch the grass. STAY OFF THE loving LAWN! It's all sticky grass below that white line.

If you nail it right, you won't have to let off the gas and you should come out of the corner inches from the wall. If you're a little high, or if your entry was off you may have to come of the throttle a bit, but be able to keep it about 85% or more. If you take a mid to high line you'll have to back off the throttle and you've just hosed yourself. Also, this is why the entry is so very important.

Do this right and essentially you'll take the last three corners at full throttle all the way to the finish. A good measure is that you should be in 5th or ready to shift into 5th as you go into the last corner. At least, this is what has worked for me, I've managed to beat most of my rivals in this section of track where I can't keep up as well in the rest of it.

silverbullitt850
Mar 6, 2012

Hey you guys like to troll? I've got some pretty sick trolling skills. Just don't expect me to read anything.

-Colon Cowboy

YF19pilot posted:

That square right before you join the main oval (forget the turn numbers), put the hammer down and keep it there.

When you merge onto the oval, there is a bump like right where you'd be if you took the 'middle line'. If you hit it, it'll upset your car and you'll crash. If you go high, you'll be slow for the rest of the lap. Try to stay below the bump if you can (essentially get as close to the cones on the right without actually hitting them).

Use as much of the track as you can and get right up against that outside wall. You want to try to set it up so you get as low of a line as possible through "Brickyard 1". Don't touch the grass. DO NOT Touch the grass. STAY OFF THE loving LAWN! It's all sticky grass below that white line.

If you nail it right, you won't have to let off the gas and you should come out of the corner inches from the wall. If you're a little high, or if your entry was off you may have to come of the throttle a bit, but be able to keep it about 85% or more. If you take a mid to high line you'll have to back off the throttle and you've just hosed yourself. Also, this is why the entry is so very important.

Do this right and essentially you'll take the last three corners at full throttle all the way to the finish. A good measure is that you should be in 5th or ready to shift into 5th as you go into the last corner. At least, this is what has worked for me, I've managed to beat most of my rivals in this section of track where I can't keep up as well in the rest of it.

Yeah, that's way faster than I can do that part. Nice work.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!
Sticker dude and I started playing tag. His new paint job is appropriate. :v:

silverbullitt850
Mar 6, 2012

-Colon Cowboy
I actually tied someone just now. Down to the thousandth (I lost... wtf).

speedtek
Nov 26, 2004

Let's make it out, baby.

silverbullitt850 posted:

I actually tied someone just now. Down to the thousandth (I lost... wtf).

He set it first!

the onion wizard
Apr 14, 2004

I got this game about a week ago and have only been able to join a single multiplayer game? Is the multiplayer completely broken for anyone else?

Does not having DLC cars installed manifest as connection failure or something?

Irish Legend
Aug 12, 2011

oval office.exe posted:

I got this game about a week ago and have only been able to join a single multiplayer game? Is the multiplayer completely broken for anyone else?

Does not having DLC cars installed manifest as connection failure or something?

Start with making sure your NAT is open and all that fine jazz. Beyond that, until they complete the title update they are working on, some people have unexplainable issues with connecting to lobbies consistently.

Pinky the Cube
Jul 21, 2010

YF19pilot posted:

Thanks for this, I'll give it a shot. I've tried setting you as my rival before but your time is completely unobtainable. The loss starts immediately as I am two car lengths behind by the first turn due to the speed you had when you crossed the line.

The need for perfection in your instructions is going to wreck me emotionally. I would so rather have to deal with that at the start of the lap than the end. Oh well, it is what it is I guess.

Must not gently caress it up. Must catch the unicorn. Must have the unicorn. Do not gently caress this up. Do not gently caress LIFE STICKY GRASS.

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!

Pinky the Cube posted:

Thanks for this, I'll give it a shot. I've tried setting you as my rival before but your time is completely unobtainable. The loss starts immediately as I am two car lengths behind by the first turn due to the speed you had when you crossed the line.

The need for perfection in your instructions is going to wreck me emotionally. I would so rather have to deal with that at the start of the lap than the end. Oh well, it is what it is I guess.

Must not gently caress it up. Must catch the unicorn. Must have the unicorn. Do not gently caress this up. Do not gently caress LIFE STICKY GRASS.

The big key points are 1) don't hit the bump in turn 12, and 2) keep low and don't hit the grass. You don't have to be right down on the grass, there is some room for error, but if you take a line that is too high, you'll find yourself backing off the throttle and not getting the speed you need. If you want some practice with taking those corners, just fire up a stocker and take it around the Brickyard Oval a few times until you find where the groove is. It'll be in the same place (just backwards) with the F1 layout.

Otherwise, I'd say getting that 6-7 mess is more difficult than 11-12-13.

Symphoric
Apr 20, 2005

I already have his time beat, but I didn't even know there was a way to avoid the bump on turn 12. That probably would have saved me a lot of time and aggravation!

General Probe
Dec 28, 2004
Soiled Meat

oval office.exe posted:

What Irish said plus the lobbies are pretty broken. We were promised a fix that was supposed to come out the day after it was announced but...
I've also found private lobbies are more reliable than hoppers so make sure you're in a goon club. In any case the aforementioned patch should be released soon.

GOD IS BED
Jun 17, 2010

ALL HAIL GOD MAMMON
:minnie:

College Slice

silverbullitt850 posted:

Oh, sorry about my rude reply then. I enjoy racing with you goons because any accidents are typically unintentional, and that one certainly was.

silverbullitt850
Mar 6, 2012

-Colon Cowboy

speedtek posted:

He set it first!

Yeah, so I saved the replay, and this was the finish:

Ultra-WTF

Day Man
Jul 30, 2007

Champion of the Sun!

Master of karate and friendship...
for everyone!

silverbullitt850 posted:

Yeah, so I saved the replay, and this was the finish:

Ultra-WTF

That's one hell of a finish.

Cute as heck
Nov 6, 2011

:h:Cutie Pie Swag~:h:
Crosspostin' the greatest video ever by the greatest Scatterfold ever! :h:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=drHpLLL9yHg

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I can't decide if my favorite part is the overhead shot with an epic drift where everyone is passing him, or the grinding gears at the end.

speedtek
Nov 26, 2004

Let's make it out, baby.

silverbullitt850 posted:

Ultra-WTF

My bad I thought you were talking about Rivals for some reason :downs:

silverbullitt850
Mar 6, 2012

-Colon Cowboy

Day Man posted:

That's one hell of a finish.

Yeah, so tell me:

a) how that was a tie down to the thousandth (~135mph)
b) how I (in the Renault) LOST?!?

ANAmal.net
Mar 2, 2002

100% digital native web developer

Cute as heck posted:

Why does the car have a roof in the cockpit camera but not in the exterior views. :psyduck:

Dr. Chainsaws PhD
May 21, 2011

ANAmal.net posted:

Why does the car have a roof in the cockpit camera but not in the exterior views. :psyduck:

It's not really a roof, it's just that bit of roof at the top of the windshield is huge.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

silverbullitt850 posted:

Yeah, so tell me:

a) how that was a tie down to the thousandth (~135mph)
b) how I (in the Renault) LOST?!?

The BMW was given the win due to being the more stylin' car.

Don't get me wrong, the Renault is a pretty car, but it's got nothing on the BMW.

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer

Cute as heck posted:

lol you can see my massive wing in the overhead shot, also you need to be a recovery vehicle of some sort

speedtek
Nov 26, 2004

Let's make it out, baby.
So despite vowing to not revisit the ZR1 challenge, I decided to give it another go, and thanks to the tips on the last few pages I managed to improve by a little bit. I actually tied Pope to the thousandth.

My question is, is there a trick to get my guy to turn the wheel more than 10 drat degrees while using the controller? That poo poo is frustrating while going through tight turns.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

speedtek posted:

My question is, is there a trick to get my guy to turn the wheel more than 10 drat degrees while using the controller? That poo poo is frustrating while going through tight turns.

If you're not using sim steering, turn it on. Otherwise, slow down...even with simulation steering, the game still assists you a bit with the controller and won't let you feed in what it considers a useless amount of steering input. If you're pushing straight off the track and cursing that you're not getting more steering input, it's because the game thinks more input won't help, and to an extent it's right. The lack of this feature in iRacing is why I end up with a smoked right front tire in street stocks after four laps :downs:

Whenever you're in that situation, let off the gas and/or tap the brake to get some weight on the front and it should bite.

Cute as heck
Nov 6, 2011

:h:Cutie Pie Swag~:h:

Idiot race posted:

lol you can see my massive wing in the overhead shot, also you need to be a recovery vehicle of some sort

I drift 'till I'm needed :3:

Somebody needs to make me a "Cute As Heck's sideways towing and recovery services" livery

General Probe
Dec 28, 2004
Soiled Meat
Consolation for last months KotT are out which reminds me I forgot to ask: Did anyone here or anywhere get a clean lap but not beat Rampages time and still the Unicorn?

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

General Probe posted:

Consolation for last months KotT are out which reminds me I forgot to ask: Did anyone here or anywhere get a clean lap but not beat Rampages time and still the Unicorn?
Did you mean, "Beat Quinton 'RAMPAGE' Jackson's time but not get a clean lap and still get the Unicorn?"
Because that's the question I am interested in. Anyone?

General Probe
Dec 28, 2004
Soiled Meat
Sorry I meant: Rampage never set a clean time so there was discussion whether beating his time meant

a) Just set a clean lap

b) Just set any faster time

or

c) Haha we hold you to a different standard and you need to beat his time and set a clean lap

T10 never commented on this so the only way to get an answer was to wait til now.

Dukket
Apr 28, 2007
So I says to her, I says “LADY, that ain't OIL, its DIRT!!”
Wow, the Pinto spec King Cobra sounds like B-movie monster stuck in a vacuum cleaner.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scirocco Griffon
Feb 3, 2012

Turn 10 will be giving away stuff during the 12 Hours of Sebring today. Yet another chance for a unicorn car!

Turn 10 posted:

The Return of Turn 10 Track Days
This weekend marks the opening of the 2012 American Le Mans Series season with the running of the 60th Anniversary Mobil 1 Twelve Hours of Sebring on Saturday, March 17. The Turn 10 Community Team will be hanging out in on our official Facebook page (in the Turn 10 Track Day section) while we watch the race live via the ESPN app on Xbox LIVE. We want you to join us! Head to our official Facebook page and find the Turn 10 Track Day app (which will be live before the race begins), click on it, and you can join the chat. One other thing, to use the chat, you'll need a Justin.tv or Twitch.tv account.

In addition to chatting about all the race action, we’ll be giving out prizes, including unicorn cars and DLC codes, and generally just enjoying the race. The green flag drops at 7:15 a.m. PDT and Turn 10 community folks will be popping in throughout the day, so join us for as much of the race as you can! See you on then!

Also, they spotted this which may be on the track at some point:

• Locked thread