Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

Happy Hat posted:

With regards to the dangling stuff, it leaves me limp.

Edit: I may mean limb, but I cannot hear the difference between the two!

Does it help to know that the last consonant of each is the same lip movement, but one is voiced and one is not? "Limp" ends with the sound of the lips moving apart, "limb" ends with that sound plus your actual voice. If I had bothered to actually learn IPA I could probably explain this better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

Hawkgirl posted:

Does it help to know that the last consonant of each is the same lip movement, but one is voiced and one is not? "Limp" ends with the sound of the lips moving apart, "limb" ends with that sound plus your actual voice. If I had bothered to actually learn IPA I could probably explain this better.

Actually "limb" ends with the bilabial nasal. The "b" is silent just as it is in "lamb." "Limp" ends with an aspirated voiceless bilabial plosive.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer

Drink and Fight posted:

Every girl has nipple hair. It's just usually almost invisible.

[siren] Yeti-nips spotted! [\siren]

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

So, I need a dessert that will feature eggs, but I don't really want to do a custard unless I have to. Any other ideas?

Happy Hat
Aug 11, 2008

He just wants someone to shake his corks, is that too much to ask??

bartolimu posted:

Actually "limb" ends with the bilabial nasal.

Yes - I can imagine that when you're limb you have to place your nose against both labia for some time to avoid leaving her frustrated.

Force de Fappe
Nov 7, 2008

i shoot friendlies posted:

Here is a fun exercise: Emphasize each word differently in this sentence to change the meaning:

"I didn't say he stole the money."

Each emphasis completely changes the meaning of the sentence.

Pragmatics is fun. Now try doing the same thing in Mandarin, without the aid of pitch accents. :suicide: (Of course it's possible - anything that can be conveyed in one language can be translated into another, with a bit of hammerwork and some industrial lube).

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Casu Marzu posted:

So, I need a dessert that will feature eggs, but I don't really want to do a custard unless I have to. Any other ideas?
Lemon or lime tart using a curd. Why no custard? (it'll help with answers; making a curd might be too similar).

breakfall87
Apr 22, 2004
ABunch7587's little bitch
Making a curd is far quicker and easier than a custard. Instead of waiting by a water bath, you can combine all ingredients, put it over medium heat, and stir it, making sure you get the bottom so it doesn't burn. As soon as you see a bubble come up like it's going to boil, strain it and it's done. If you want it smoother, wait til that point to add the butter in, instead of combining it at first, then strain it. If you want it smoother still, you can let it cool down just a smidge (still steaming) and mount it with the butter, and then strain it.

Dane
Jun 18, 2003

mmm... creamy.
I love this forum. I saw 90 posts since last read, skimmed the first few and thought, 'Ah, that explains it, they're talking about titties and sex'. But no, it was dangling participles and bilabials plosives.

This thread is like a box of chocolates, etc etc.

wheatpuppy
Apr 25, 2008

YOU HAVE MY POST!

Dane posted:

'Ah, that explains it, they're talking about titties and sex'.

breakfall87 posted:

[...] and mount it with the butter[...].
Are you 100% sure that isn't still the topic of conversation?

Happy Hat
Aug 11, 2008

He just wants someone to shake his corks, is that too much to ask??
Food and sex are not that far apart - after all - besides food, what other thing does people allow someone else to put in their body (paraphrasing Heat).

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

therattle posted:

Lemon or lime tart using a curd. Why no custard? (it'll help with answers; making a curd might be too similar).

I'm bored of custards.

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

bartolimu posted:

Actually "limb" ends with the bilabial nasal. The "b" is silent just as it is in "lamb." "Limp" ends with an aspirated voiceless bilabial plosive.

See, if I had bothered to learn IPA I'd be able to explain it better, or in this case, correctly :)

Casu Marzu posted:

I'm bored of custards.

Out of pure helpfulness I googled "egg yolk desserts" and here's one of the first recipes I got: http://www.cooks.com/rec/doc/0,1813,155176-228198,00.html

edit: But for a serious answer, how about some sort of dessert bread with an eggy glaze? Does that feature eggs enough to count?

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

Casu Marzu posted:

I'm bored of custards.

MAKE A SOUFFLE GEEEZ

Wotan
Aug 15, 2009

I am putting myself to the fullest possible use, which is all I think that any conscious entity can ever hope to do.

Happy Hat posted:

Food and sex are not that far apart - after all - besides food, what other thing does people allow someone else to put in their body (paraphrasing Heat).

I find the pastrami to be the most sensual of all the salted cured meats.

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.
I made adai and some veggies for a couple of friends who came over for lunch. One of the ladies took a picture:

http://instagr.am/p/ISL5sOk6f9/

And then she uploaded it. Unlike certain Pilipino boys who come over with their fancy pants cameras and never send me the photos. >:| YOU HAVE MY EMAIL, GRAVI. SEND THEM ALREADY. Or upload them and send me a link or something. Every picture you take is a work of art. <3

Pester
Apr 22, 2008

Casu Marzu posted:

Chinese steamed cakes taste very very eggy to me.

i shoot friendlies
Jun 25, 2007

Casu Marzu posted:

Does angel food cake count as "featuring?" You can do all kinds of fun stuff with that.

Drink and Fight
Feb 2, 2003

bunnielab posted:

[siren] Yeti-nips spotted! [\siren]

No, I'm not showing you my tits.

Very Strange Things
May 21, 2008
Well poo poo. mark Bittman is a terrible public speaker, apparently. But he's right, predictably.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5YkNkscBEp0
Mark Bittman: What's wrong with what we eat[/url]

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
lol

cooked a massive 25 person dinner party with nice rear end expensive local hauty tauty grass fed organic beef (that I corned) yesterday, just out of pocket, because good food is important and worth sharing

tonight, walking home from a bar, I found $67 bux just sitting on the sidewalk, presumably from some drunken st. patricks day partier

karma bitches :)

cyberia
Jun 24, 2011

Do not call me that!
Snuffles was my slave name.
You shall now call me Snowball; because my fur is pretty and white.
Bought a 3lb pork shoulder for $8 today, covered it with garlic and herbs and roasted it. drat it was so tasty; pork is definitely my favourite meat at the moment.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

The swine is the sweetest of the flesh.

i shoot friendlies
Jun 25, 2007

mindphlux posted:

tonight, walking home from a bar, I found $67 bux just sitting on the sidewalk, presumably from some drunken st. patricks day partier

You cannot keep it. That is profiting from misfortune. Found money has to be used charitably, it cannot be kept. If you keep it, it becomes wallet poison, spoiling any money it contacts. If you use it charitably, it goes out and finds other money that has nothing to do, and sends it back to you wallet.

-The Rules according to i shoot friendlies, Volume XXIV, Section VII, Paragraph III.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer

Drink and Fight posted:

No, I'm not showing you my tits.

It's ok, I still love you for your jello shots.

pnumoman
Sep 26, 2008

I never get the last word, and it makes me very sad.

i shoot friendlies posted:

You cannot keep it. That is profiting from misfortune. Found money has to be used charitably, it cannot be kept. If you keep it, it becomes wallet poison, spoiling any money it contacts. If you use it charitably, it goes out and finds other money that has nothing to do, and sends it back to you wallet.

-The Rules according to i shoot friendlies, Volume XXIV, Section VII, Paragraph III.

Charitable use of found money = buy your friends shots.

Force de Fappe
Nov 7, 2008

Now on this bright morning, I look around this room. And brothers and sisters, I see a great many sinners. I see men, fathers of children, with the alcohol whisp of Satan still on their breath! And I see sinful wives and disobedient daughters with the mark of Jezebel on their brows! It's time for Sister Rosetta to shred the stain of Satan from your souls, take it away sister!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ls53x9nybec

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

tHROW SOME D"s ON THAT BIZNATCH
My roommates are still in bed, sleeping it off and I've already worked out, written stuff, and biked to work. gently caress st paddy.

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.
Dear LJ,

Was at a gay wedding last night. Both the men are actors, so they had a showtunes thing going. Ugh. Showtunes. However, the festivities were truly a celebration of life and love. It was a wonderful thing, and I had a fantastic time. We've got another 4 weddings to go to this year. Here's hoping I don't go broke trying to get gifts for all of those people.

wafflesnsegways
Jan 12, 2008
And that's why I was forced to surgically attach your hands to your face.
I didn't watch all 20 minutes of that video, but ever since Mark Bittman switched to advocacy, he's become intolerable. I even agree with him about a lot of things, but all of his proposed solutions are kludgy, heavy-handed policies that are often pretty offensive. For example, his column arguing that people only be allowed to buy healthy food with food stamps.

Jay Carney
Mar 23, 2007

If you do that you will die on the toilet.

dino. posted:

Dear LJ,

Was at a gay wedding last night. Both the men are actors, so they had a showtunes thing going. Ugh. Showtunes. However, the festivities were truly a celebration of life and love. It was a wonderful thing, and I had a fantastic time. We've got another 4 weddings to go to this year. Here's hoping I don't go broke trying to get gifts for all of those people.

Showtunes own. I brought down the house at karaoke last night singing "Diamond's are a girl's best friend."

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

pnumoman posted:

Charitable use of found money = buy your friends shots.

or lots of delicious corned beef!

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Sjurygg posted:

Now on this bright morning, I look around this room. And brothers and sisters, I see a great many sinners. I see men, fathers of children, with the alcohol whisp of Satan still on their breath! And I see sinful wives and disobedient daughters with the mark of Jezebel on their brows! It's time for Sister Rosetta to shred the stain of Satan from your souls, take it away sister!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ls53x9nybec
She's amazing! Thanks.

Here is a special picture for GWS: the littlest goon with spoon

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

Halalelujah posted:

Showtunes own. I brought down the house at karaoke last night singing "Diamond's are a girl's best friend."
When Puppy and I watched Gentlemen Prefer Blondes, I was squealing with delight. Marilyn Monroe OWNS. She is a goddess. So is Merly Streep, but Marilyn Monroe. Homans. Did you see all those dresses? I could have died! She was absolutely divine.

Jay Carney
Mar 23, 2007

If you do that you will die on the toilet.
Yeah, she is the best, though my favorite will always be seven year itch, what a fantastic movie.

Force de Fappe
Nov 7, 2008

therattle posted:

She's amazing! Thanks.

Here is a special picture for GWS: the littlest goon with spoon

Hahaha, the hair. Oh Jesus, I can't stop giggling. How's he growing?

dino. posted:

Marilyn Monroe OWNS. She is a goddess. So is Merly Streep, but Marilyn Monroe. Homans. Did you see all those dresses? I could have died! She was absolutely divine.

I think this must be the most....fabulous...sentence I've ever read.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

wafflesnsegways posted:

I didn't watch all 20 minutes of that video, but ever since Mark Bittman switched to advocacy, he's become intolerable. I even agree with him about a lot of things, but all of his proposed solutions are kludgy, heavy-handed policies that are often pretty offensive. For example, his column arguing that people only be allowed to buy healthy food with food stamps.
Yeah, I feel the same way about Michael Pollan and mindphlux.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

What's the average survival rate for eating a generous portion of fatty brisket every night? I feel like I'm going to die since starting to work at this BBQ restaurant.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Sjurygg posted:

Hahaha, the hair. Oh Jesus, I can't stop giggling. How's he growing?

I think this must be the most....fabulous...sentence I've ever read.
His hair is hilarious. He's growing like a champ; I wish he'd stop, actually, as his babiness is so drat cute. We are just starting him on baby-led weaning. Watching him stuff food into his mouth is adorable.

Your description of dino.'s post is just perfect! (Sorry, dino.!)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Vegetable Melange posted:

My roommates are still in bed, sleeping it off and I've already worked out, written stuff, and biked to work. gently caress st paddy.

I worked today, didn't do anything yesterday since I had to be at work at 5:30 AM. At least it was a slow day. Probably everybody recovering from the booze and all.