Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zoe
Jan 19, 2007
Hair Elf
I just got two emails saying someone had requested a password reset for my account, should I be concerned y/n?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MeccaPrime
May 11, 2010

I would be... sounds like its about time to change your password. Maybe send an email about it to Mojang.

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice

MeccaPrime posted:

I would be... sounds like its about time to change your password. Maybe send an email about it to Mojang.

Definitely change your password. I wouldn't worry about email because it could be a case of someone putting in a similar email to yours and just fat fingering the email address and wondering what's going on.

I also doubt Mojang has a department to handle that stuff.

MeccaPrime
May 11, 2010

poemdexter posted:

I also doubt Mojang has a department to handle that stuff.

True... I guess potentially losing your account is just another part of that Indie Charmtm.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa
The "Indie Charm" meme should be probatable, it hasn't been funny since 2009. And you know that you can ask just about any service, like Something Awful forums, to send you an e-mail for resetting your password.

MeccaPrime
May 11, 2010

I am quite aware that Mojang and the Something Awful Forums as well as hundreds of other reputable sites have services in place to reset your password, my comment was more in regards to the possibility of a company that has made millions selling a game requiring a login/password not having at least one dude at a computer to handle possible stolen accounts.

I have no defense for the indie charm comment.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Nenonen posted:

The "Indie Charm" meme should be probatable, it hasn't been funny since 2009.

I agree, but I don't think Notch has an account.

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

What this sausage party needs is a big dollop of ketchup! Too bad I didn't make any. :(

MeccaPrime posted:

I am quite aware that Mojang and the Something Awful Forums as well as hundreds of other reputable sites have services in place to reset your password, my comment was more in regards to the possibility of a company that has made millions selling a game requiring a login/password not having at least one dude at a computer to handle possible stolen accounts.

I have no defense for the indie charm comment.

A tiny indie game company that has made millions really isn't much different from a tiny indie game company that has made a few thousand, except that the company making millions is higher profile and all that comes with being a tiny lovely indie game company is in the lovely, lovely limelight.

ruro
Apr 30, 2003

Hypnolobster posted:

A tiny indie game company that has made millions really isn't much different from a tiny indie game company that has made a few thousand, except that the company making millions is higher profile and all that comes with being a tiny lovely indie game company is in the lovely, lovely limelight.
Typically a tiny indie company doesn't have people to look after their customers because they can't afford it. Mojang can definitely afford it...

Norton
Feb 18, 2006

Nenonen posted:

The "Indie Charm" meme should be probatable, it hasn't been funny since 2009. And you know that you can ask just about any service, like Something Awful forums, to send you an e-mail for resetting your password.

I like the indie charm meme. :colbert:

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!

Schwarzwald posted:

I agree, but I don't think Notch has an account.

He does, but he's not using it :ssh:

Ignimbrite
Jan 5, 2010

BALLS BALLS BALLS
Dinosaur Gum

Zoe posted:

I just got two emails saying someone had requested a password reset for my account, should I be concerned y/n?

It could have also been some 12-year old kid thinking himself a big bad hacker for wandering across your e-mail somewhere, typing it in the password recovery box and wondering why his mad hacking ability didn't get you his password. Change your password anyway.

Tobaccrow
Jan 21, 2008

Don't smoke, kids... Unless you have to.
And don't use the links in the e-mail you got just in case it's somehow a very convincing phishing scheme.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Is there a program or website that you can type a seed into and see what kind of map you would get? I'm about to restart the world on my server soon, and I wanted to find something like an ocean worlds with lots of medium sized islands. I basically want to have one island for the spawn world, and then let my users venture out and claim islands for themselves. I figured if I could find a way to have a program or something take a seed and generate a ton of chunks out so I can see if it would work, or if I just have a seed with one small island, and not too far away is some continent that defeats the purpose.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

IUG posted:

Is there a program or website that you can type a seed into and see what kind of map you would get? I'm about to restart the world on my server soon, and I wanted to find something like an ocean worlds with lots of medium sized islands. I basically want to have one island for the spawn world, and then let my users venture out and claim islands for themselves. I figured if I could find a way to have a program or something take a seed and generate a ton of chunks out so I can see if it would work, or if I just have a seed with one small island, and not too far away is some continent that defeats the purpose.
Doesn't the seed just, well, seed the random number generator? I don't think there's any service that would be faster than just doing it yourself, unless you had a particularly slow computer.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Elysiume posted:

Doesn't the seed just, well, seed the random number generator? I don't think there's any service that would be faster than just doing it yourself, unless you had a particularly slow computer.

Yeah, but then I would have to make the seed, fly around a long time for it to generate the map, then use some other program to render it. I was wondering if there was a way to skip the "fly around" part.

vv That's nice, but it really shows you the spawn area. I want to make sure when my members branch out they don't run into a mega continent too easily or too close to spawn.

IUG fucked around with this message at 05:31 on Mar 16, 2012

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~
the 'Kwisatz Haderach' mod automated generating worlds out to a certain radius, but I'm not sure if it's still being maintained.

If you're just looking for a cool seed, why go to the bother of finding one yourself when there's sites dedicated to sharing nice ones?

http://www.minecraftseeds.info/

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

IUG posted:

AMIDST will let you enter any seed and generate a map showing you a broad distant biome/water view of the world with villages and strongholds marked.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 10:31 on Mar 16, 2012

prahanormal
Mar 8, 2011

heya /

IUG posted:

If you put in the seed "Middle Earth" it gives you something exactly like this.

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

That's just the way he rolls.
The other day the power went out, and when I got it back and reloaded Minecraft, it seems almost as if the light effects have changed.

Let's say I'm in an underground room with almost enough light to see all 4 walls. If I place a torch in the middle of the room, the middle of the room becomes brighter, but the areas away from the torch are now so dark the walls are pitch black making it HARDER to see.

What's going on or am I crazy? :confused:

Umph
Apr 26, 2008

There's this heavily modded pvp faction based goon only server called Keepcraft, and we're doing a recruitment drive. It's a ton of fun and were currently on a new jungle based world (2 days old). Basicly 2 teams build massive castles then duke it out and raid each other, but we need more players as we lost people to spring break and burn out.

Theres good anti grief/cheat mods and the admin has written a bunch of custom bukket scripts. The white list turn around is hourly so come play with us!

Wiki:
http://keepcraft.wikia.com/

Thread for whitelist:
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3450600

PalmTreeFun
Apr 25, 2010

*toot*

Ak Gara posted:

The other day the power went out, and when I got it back and reloaded Minecraft, it seems almost as if the light effects have changed.

Let's say I'm in an underground room with almost enough light to see all 4 walls. If I place a torch in the middle of the room, the middle of the room becomes brighter, but the areas away from the torch are now so dark the walls are pitch black making it HARDER to see.

What's going on or am I crazy? :confused:

Check your options and look to see if your smooth lighting or brightness options were changed. Is any other game affected? Did you fry your graphics card?

Maybe try reinstalling Minecraft first. Back up yours saves folder or something.

SetPhazers2Funk
Jan 27, 2008

Good, bad, I'm the one with the gun.
Is there a mod that gives you, for lack of a better description, x-ray vision? I would love to be able to look down and see any/all underground caves and mineshafts. Sometimes when I'm moving fast and the far landscape is rendering slowly I can see an effect like this, but otherwise no banana.

Laser Spider
Jan 28, 2009

SetPhazers2Funk posted:

Is there a mod that gives you, for lack of a better description, x-ray vision? I would love to be able to look down and see any/all underground caves and mineshafts. Sometimes when I'm moving fast and the far landscape is rendering slowly I can see an effect like this, but otherwise no banana.

X-ray texture packs have existed for a while and are a staple of Minecraft griefing. As I understand them, they replace the default textures of most mundane blocks with transparent or mostly transparent ones, so you can look down and see diamonds or gold or whatever you're looking for.

I have no idea where to find them, though. I've never gone looking for them.

dipple
Oct 22, 2008
Zombe mod has an x-ray mode.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン

SetPhazers2Funk posted:

There's a way to build an x-ray machine in vanilla minecraft. Basically, you stand in a 2 deep hole, and very carefully wire two pistons to push tnt into you. You won't take suffocation damage, and you'll be able to see through walls.
e: Glowstone does it too, I guess any transparent block will.

muike fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Mar 17, 2012

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die

Pretentious Turtle posted:

Basically, you stand in a 2 deep hole, and very carefully wire two pistons to push tnt into you. You won't take suffocation damage, and you'll be able to see through walls.

As a side note, this method also works in real life, it's not just a Minecraft thing.

The Rubberbandit
Jan 14, 2008
Where's your condom now?!
Is there a resource somewhere that gives greater detail than the minecraft wiki? For instance, how much health a regeneration potion gives, or how much "projectile/explosion protection" actually protects you?

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

:derp:   :kayak:                                     
the deobfuscated code

The Rubberbandit
Jan 14, 2008
Where's your condom now?!
See, I wouldn't be able to decipher anything from that. If nobody has spent the time to figure these things out that's fine, I was just wondering.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe
Is there something I should be doing to prevent endermen from teleporting into my home?

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
Other than making the ceilings 2-high, there's not really much you can do to stop that, I think. You might be able to stop it by making the floor half slabs but I don't know whether they can teleport onto those or not.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Google "X-Ray Pack 1.2.3.zip"

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
Make your floor lava and just stand on a block in the middle of it

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Jamesman posted:

Is there something I should be doing to prevent endermen from teleporting into my home?
Play on peaceful and just ignore the tedious combat and unfun monsters that have been slowly added to the game. :v:

Norton
Feb 18, 2006

I've got a seed request. Does anyone have a seed that starts you on a smallish jungle island in a mostly water filled world?

Howmuch
Apr 29, 2008
New list of bugs from SethBling.

46 Minecraft bugs in 3 minutes.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o74FHoM0Lo4

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe

Asimo posted:

Play on peaceful and just ignore the tedious combat and unfun monsters that have been slowly added to the game. :v:

I'm starting to feel that way too. The new pathing is annoying because enemies can detect you through dozens of blocks without sight, and just wander around as close as they can get and make annoying noises forever. It's really dumb to be 12+ blocks underground and have mobs marching across the grass screeching at you.

But I never had a problem with Endermen teleporting into my rooms before 1.2, so that might also be a new pathing AI thing. They're not coming in to attack me or anything. They're just wandering around the overworld and then zapping themselves underground into my completely sealed-off home and leaving their poo poo around while going BRROP BRROP BRROOOP because they're dumb.

Halibut Barn
May 30, 2005

help

Jamesman posted:

But I never had a problem with Endermen teleporting into my rooms before 1.2, so that might also be a new pathing AI thing. They're not coming in to attack me or anything. They're just wandering around the overworld and then zapping themselves underground into my completely sealed-off home and leaving their poo poo around while going BRROP BRROP BRROOOP because they're dumb.

I've seen it happen before, but it was mainly caused by rain. They start rapidly teleporting around the map because the rain damages them and invokes the teleport-away response, and once in a while they wind up inside your house and no longer get rain damage, so they continue to hang out for a while.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vinigre
Feb 18, 2011

Prepare your bladder for imminent release!
I really can't stop making little gadgets and crap. Specifically, here's how you can light certain blocks on fire, and extinguish them.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oD85KRfsBi4
Now I wanna hook this up to the villager day/night sensor.