Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

Ephphatha posted:

Your avatar and custom title combo are brilliant.

Tom: What would it take to actually get volume 2 reprinted? I really want to buy all three in hardcover but... here's what volume 2 costs on Amazon currently. Plus Amazon tend to be dicks when it comes to shipping things to Australia.

:stare:
How does a company place a book at that high a value?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Wrist Watch posted:

Apparently some sellers have a thing that's set to determine the price automatically based on what the other sellers are using. This can and has resulted in hilarious feedback loops that just keep raising the price until someone notices and stops it.

DreamtShadow
Aug 21, 2010

Wrist Watch posted:

Of course, even at that price, they can't afford to give you free shipping, can they?

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.

idonotlikepeas posted:

This great news seems like as good an excuse as any to get rid of my Stupid Newbie avatar. Thanks idontlikepeas for the av (and thanks Tom for the great comic).

Buff Skeleton
Oct 24, 2005

So how long until the entity of Gunnerkrigg Court is displayed via forum avatars? :v:

(Then everyone has to post in order)

....and back to the actual topic, I'm excited for Monday both to see if the update schedule increases in frequency AND to see where the story is going with Carver. I'm glad to see some more humanizing details about him, even if he's still a kid in this flashback.

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

This reasoning is possible for forums user idonotlikepeas!
I'd guess Tom will start doing other stuff more often, like short stories, art commissions, etc. I think he said before he'd prefer to do that than increase GC's update schedule.

Nondevor
Jun 1, 2011

catposting

idonotlikepeas posted:

I'd guess Tom will start doing other stuff more often, like short stories, art commissions, etc. I think he said before he'd prefer to do that than increase GC's update schedule.

I certainly wouldn't mind if he made more canvases like those City Face and Coyote ones. I imagine those would sell like hotcakes.

Fighting Trousers
May 17, 2011

Does this excite you, girl?

Ephphatha posted:

Your avatar and custom title combo are brilliant.

The avatar fairy is the best fairy of all. :3: (Sorry, Red)

Kojiro
Aug 11, 2003

LET'S GET TO THE TOP!

idonotlikepeas posted:

It would make more financial sense, which is what full timers have to look at, really. You also get all the fun of designing new merch!

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

Waffnuffly posted:

....and back to the actual topic, I'm excited for Monday both to see if the update schedule increases in frequency AND to see where the story is going with Carver. I'm glad to see some more humanizing details about him, even if he's still a kid in this flashback.

I wonder if Donald is humanizing Carver in order to make Annie feel less afraid/intimidated by him. We don't know if Donald is telling the truth or what he wishes the truth to be, after all.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

I just realized I never gave Gunnerkrigg an Adblock whitelisting :ohdear: I'm sorry Tom! I just fixed it!

...and also apparently just accidentally made my girlfriend start reading it. She has stuff to do next week dammit I'm a bad boyfriend :saddowns:

Heliotrope
Aug 17, 2007

You're fucking subhuman

Shugojin posted:

...and also apparently just accidentally made my girlfriend start reading it. She has stuff to do next week dammit I'm a bad boyfriend :saddowns:

I'm pretty sure introducing your boy/girlfriend to GC makes you a good partner!

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

Shugojin posted:

I just realized I never gave Gunnerkrigg an Adblock whitelisting :ohdear: I'm sorry Tom! I just fixed it!

My adblock doesn't obey whitelisting for some reason. I have no idea why. I hit the hotkey to whitelist on gunnerkrigg.com and accepted, but no ads.

ephphatha
Dec 18, 2009

Amazon must've heard me bitching about the books being out of print because about three hours after posting that they started selling volume 2 again.
code:
1	 "Gunnerkrigg Court Volume 2: Research"
Thomas Siddell; Hardcover; $17.79
Usually ships in 7 to 9 days
   Sold by: Amazon.com
1	 "Gunnerkrigg Court, Vol. 3: Reason"
Siddell, Thomas; Hardcover; $17.01
In Stock
1	 "Gunnerkrigg Court, Vol. 1: Orientation"
In Stock
At least if I start to get buyers remorse I can just crack open a book and lose myself for the next 5 hours.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Shugojin posted:

Oh poo poo, me too. Sorry. I just added it to the whitelist.

Shavnir
Apr 5, 2005

A MAN'S DREAM CAN NEVER DIE
I realize this is probably a niche that nobody else would be interested in but I really wish there were collared shirts with the court logo embroidered on them or something like that. Having to go slightly fancier than t-shirt for work makes me wish for merch I could wear everyday.

Mahlertov Cocktail
Mar 1, 2010

I ate your Mahler avatar! Hahahaha!

Ephphatha posted:

Amazon must've heard me bitching about the books being out of print because about three hours after posting that they started selling volume 2 again.
code:
1	 "Gunnerkrigg Court Volume 2: Research"
Usually ships in 7 to 9 days
1	 "Gunnerkrigg Court, Vol. 3: Reason"
Siddell, Thomas; Hardcover; $17.01
In Stock
1	 "Gunnerkrigg Court, Vol. 1: Orientation"
In Stock
At least if I start to get buyers remorse I can just crack open a book and lose myself for the next 5 hours.

WHY did you link this? You probably just cost about 30 people :20bux:

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
How do I whitelist? :downs:

Sharay
Apr 19, 2008

Tollymain posted:

How do I whitelist? :downs:
That depends on which adblocker you run. In mine, for Chrome, I click the symbol for the extension in the top right and select "Don't run on pages on this domain" and then "Exclude" in the dialog window that appears.

Cozz
Jun 19, 2005

Perhaps you need to... reverse... his polarity? Hack? Do some hacking?
Congrats Tom. You deserve it, and I hope your dream on this page will be a reality.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Sharay posted:

That depends on which adblocker you run. In mine, for Chrome, I click the symbol for the extension in the top right and select "Don't run on pages on this domain" and then "Exclude" in the dialog window that appears.

I'm running Firefox, with adblock 2.0.3

Matlock Birthmark
Sep 24, 2005

I wanted this to happen!!
Soiled Meat
Be on the main site. In the top browser options, go to: Tools > Adblock Plus > Disable on gunnerkrigg.com. Toggle that checked and you're good.

Talorat
Sep 18, 2007

Hahaha! Aw come on, I can't tell you everything right away! That would make for a boring story, don't you think?
Wow congrats Tom! Keep up the good work! The latest pages have been pure gold.

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

:siren: :siren: :siren:
AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE
Welp today I joined a Lichtenauer-style fencing group, the have practices each Saturday in the mornings. Just wanted to know it's all your fault Tom.

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

Ka0 posted:

Welp today I joined a Lichtenauer-style fencing group, the have practices each Saturday in the mornings. Just wanted to know it's all your fault Tom.

Next thing you know you'll be teleporting all over the place, what a nuisance

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

pandaK posted:

Next thing you know you'll be teleporting all over the place, what a nuisance

"So, uh, when do we learn how to teleport and talk to etheric beings?"

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib

Cozz posted:

Congrats Tom. You deserve it, and I hope your dream on this page will be a reality.

I find it slightly worrying that Tom draws himself as a Zimmy-esque person.

I also don't really understand what Zimmy is, so if anyone wants to help out there, I'd appreciate it.

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer

HelloIAmYourHeart posted:

I also don't really understand what Zimmy is, so if anyone wants to help out there, I'd appreciate it.
My favorite part of Tom's self portraits is his nub bone hands.

Soylentbits
Apr 2, 2007

im worried that theyre setting her up to be jotaros future wife or something.

An angsty teenager.

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

This reasoning is possible for forums user idonotlikepeas!

:can:

Well, Tom hasn't fully explained that yet, and I'm not sure how much he'll ever get into it, but we do know a few things:

1. She is in some measure or to some degree a human being. She is not literally a demon or an otherworldly monster.
2. She has magical delusions that alter the way she sees reality. In extreme cases, she can bring people into the altered versions of reality with her, and the delusions can have lasting effects.
3. There are intelligences which exist in her altered reality, some of which want to escape.
4. The altered states of reality are not precisely bound by her current time - she may see representations of past or future events.
5. She cannot control these abilities to any great degree, only suppress them through some effort of will.
6. Gamma (and to a lesser degree Annie) can cancel out the delusions as long as they aren't fooled by them.
7. When it rains, the ethereal energy (more unanswered questions there) temporarily allows her relief from her abilities.
8. Being in a library offers some degree of protection as well.
9. Zimmy and Gamma can communicate with each other telepathically. They don't actually speak a common language.
10. The horrible mental landscape she goes to is a nightmare version of Birmingham. She's said she'll die there one day.
11. She can tell when she is being watched, and hates it.
12. The black crust around her eyes is mostly symbolic rather than literal.

Things that aren't totally clear:

1. Do the delusions have true physical effects, or are they purely mental/magical constructs?
2. What do libraries have in common with rain and Gamma and Annie?
3. Why are so many of the negative things seemingly associated with spiders?
4. Where do these abilities come from?
5. What will happen with them long term? Is she getting worse or better?

There's probably more stuff, too; I imagine other people have other perspectives on this.

Casull
Aug 13, 2005

:catstare: :catstare: :catstare:
We haven't really seen Zimmy/Gamma since Annie came back from the forest, have we? Here's to hoping we'll get a chapter one day about them.

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE

A truly messed-up lifeform.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

A total jabroni.

Ironic Twist
Aug 3, 2008

I'm bokeh, you're bokeh

Someone who donates her hair to Johnny Rockets instead of Locks of Love.

Ironic Twist fucked around with this message at 06:45 on Mar 19, 2012

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

The bonds of blood transcend all others.
But no blood runs stronger than that of Sanguinius
Grimey Drawer

I'm guessing she's the descendant of some sort of elemental.

Tubgirl Cosplay
Jan 10, 2011

by Ion Helmet
Probably the kind of thing something like the Court grows from.

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Tubgirl Cosplay posted:

Probably the kind of thing something like the Court grows from.

I think we may have a winner. That would make so much sense.

Ironic Twist
Aug 3, 2008

I'm bokeh, you're bokeh

The Walker posted:

I think we may have a winner. That would make so much sense.

So she's made of bismuth?

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Ironic Twist posted:

So she's made of bismuth?

Tom has been incredibly vague as to what the Seed Bismuth actually is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tea-san
Nov 6, 2003

This is it. I hope this first week goes well.

Oh, Zim and Gams are back in the next chapter.