Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TheSpiritFox
Jan 4, 2009

I'm just a memory, I can't give you any new information.

Zedd posted:

People are stupid everywhere.
Pure soldier is boring as hell imo, all jokes over my vanguard obsession aside I enjoy every class that isn't a pure soldier. It's an RPG (don't derail this into a debate) so why would I go for "dude that shoots a gun" over space wizards and engineers and stuff.

I enjoy them all, personally. Every playstyle is distinct and the soldier playstyle is definitely fun. ME2 gave you ample motivation to switch up weapons, which gave you reason to move around the battle field.

My first ME3 playthrough was sentinel and now I'm going engineer, but I definitely plan to do at least 1 insanity with each class.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skoolmunkee
Jun 27, 2004

Tell your friends we're coming for them

Chib posted:

I read through this entire thread, carefully avoiding spoilers, in order to figure out who voices Primarch Victus. I swear to god it's Alec Baldwin. His VA isn't mentioned anywhere online, though.

This isn't great quality, but here's a video of him speaking:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-6GkFi6CyEQ

He sounds a bit like like Varric to me. Varric's impression of Alec Baldwin.

MadRhetoric
Feb 18, 2011

I POSSESS QUESTIONABLE TASTE IN TOUHOU GAMES
Thinking of going through on a Meta-Shep run sometime, I've unlocked every bonus power outside of Kaidan's because gently caress Kaidan and was wondering what'd be best to take on Hardcore/Insanity. Played as an Adept (guddamn Double Throw is nasty sounding).

I have a couple of ideas: Infiltrator + Energy Drain for shields or Fortification to pop and Sneak Attack people, Vanguard + anything and learn my ABCs, or Soldier + Stasis and be master of time.

Bean
Sep 9, 2001
All of you who actually like Vega must not be playing ChickShep. God damnit, no, you can NOT call me Lola, I did NOT come to the cargo bay just to 'watch', and if you tell me one more time that I fill out a uniform nicely I will right hook you in the cajones, pendejo. I Virmire'd Kaiden for less horse poo poo than this, I will drop you off at the next vorcha colony before you can say "mmmm grizzlies".

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

The Conrad Verner mission is definitely my favourite part of the game so far. Particularly the line "I'm sorry if I ever accused you of pointing a gun at me when you didn't actually do that. I was really stressed out." (spoilered because it really made me laugh)

bunky
Aug 29, 2004

Ok, I tried to browse through the thread and search the best I could, but I didn't see any glaring fixes to my problem. I bought the Digital Deluxe PC version, and lately 9 times out of 10 can't connect to the servers to verify my DLC. I feel like I've wasted 80 bucks at this point and would just like to play. I see people in Google searches with similar problems, but no concrete solutions. Anyone know what I can do to fix this poo poo?

doo doo thief
Jun 5, 2007

by Fistgrrl
I enjoyed solider initially but I really wish you could change class at the start of a new game plus to mix things up and still retain your bonuses for beating the game.

I started a new game plus on insanity and a few hours in it's already pretty boring playing as solider again especially since having that superior-to-everything grenade rifle from the very start means you basically use the same gun forever unless you purposefully gimp yourself.

Anyone have like an adept or infiltrator clear game save for ME3 they'd upload to share with those of us wanting a NG+ in a different class?

e: Previous choices and alignment don't matter 'cause the story's a train ride anyway, I just wanna blast hard dudes with cool space magic starting at level 50 + cash/guns.

doo doo thief fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Mar 17, 2012

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

Internet Kraken posted:

I don't think Kai Leng would have been improved if he was a quarian.
I might have bought him as an asari matriarch though.

---

Which one should I put on my Black Widow, the damage mod or the piercing mod? (I love the concentration mod too much, and I've found that I usually won't need the ammo mod)

The Quake
Nov 1, 2006

TheSpiritFox posted:

Haha this reminds me, we need a new Thread Spiral. Anyone want to kick start Meer vs Hale: The ME3 Version?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PZ7bsIpEKIg

Do not watch that unless you've beaten the game and want to discuss the indoctrination theory, but I think there's a decent bit of merit to the whole thing. I want to believe too.

I feel retarded for trying to rationalize this in order to fulfill my desire of Bioware to actually be competent. Anyways...while it's all wild desperate speculation, the "everything up until this part is real" is where I disagree. Basically what I'm arguing is that everything after you get owned by Harbinger isn't real as well.

First of all, why would the beam take you and Anderson to seemingly different parts of the Citadel, if this WAS the main form of transportation from Earth to the now reaper controlled Citadel? It's just some random hallway with corpses strewn about. Considering how organized the Collectors in regards to harvesting humans, having just a ton of corpses strewn about in giant piles is more reminiscent of a nightmare than actuality. Do they just throw Humans into the beam and the Keepers (The only things you see playing around up there) somehow kill/harvest them? Doesn't make sense.

Expanding on this, why is there no resistance of any form from the Reapers once you arrive on the Citadel? They literally don't care that you're about to seemingly destroy them, just like "Welp Shepard's up there now oh well...". There's also the fact that it transports you super conveniently to like a stone's throw away from the controls you need to get to complete your plan. Thanks Reapers!

Secondly, if Anderson didn't come in the way you came, how the gently caress did he get to that platform before you. There's no path to that platform other than the way you came, if he was in front of you, you would have seen him/heard him way before you arrived at that platform. There's literally one path to the area, and his comment on how "The walls are shifting" can't really apply because I'm pretty sure he's remarking on those pieces in the chasm that just go up and down. Either way, how is it that only Anderson, old and arguably not in tip-top shape anymore, is the only other person to make it on with you? OF all the people that could have made it into the beam, somehow it's Anderson.

Thirdly, TIM shows up out of nowhere as well, once again with no other way to get to that magic platform except the way you came. Apparently he has a previously unknown penchant for being sneaky. You think he would have some Cerberus with him or some controlled Reapers to help him no? Nope, he was counting on one of you to have a gun so he could make you kill each other.

Overall the whole thing is hinging on way too many lucky breaks and coincidences to be real, everything just falls into place magically. Not to mention the ton of inconsistencies but you can probably just chalk all of this up to bad writing.

LOTS OF SPECULATION BY EVERYONE ME. :byodood:

TheSpiritFox
Jan 4, 2009

I'm just a memory, I can't give you any new information.

Grey Fox V2 posted:

Isn't all of this completely disproved by having the middle synthesis choice?

Sorry for length here.

Not if you assume that the choices are actually a hallucination and that any choice other than destroy synthetics is Shepard accepting the necessity of synthetic life, proving the point of those who decided the reaper cycle was necessary, and thus being indoctrinated and dooming the galaxy.

Controlling the reapers means you are making the same mistakes that lead to the reaper cycle, trying to control synthetics which leads to "chaos". Synthesis means you are choosing the same thing that those who created the reaper cycle did, that a hybrid of meat and machine as the ultimate form of life is preferable to allowing war between the two factions. Only the destroy choice indicates that Shepard's resolve is such that the cycle must end and no other compromise or middle ground can or will be accepted.

After all, they state directly that AI will rise again at some point, and there will be no reapers to stop it.

The destroy choice represents the ultimate resistance. From an indoctrination point of view you could say that only the destroy choice represents complete resistance to the reapers goals, plans, and values, which is why it's the only ending with the Shepard waking up scene at the end.

Another thing, someone else brought up that Shepard showed no other signs of indoctrination, no complaining about headaches and such. It makes sense that they have tried and failed to indoctrinate Shepard, but because of the amount of exposure Shep has had to reaper tech and indoctrination that doesn't leave him immune, rather he's more vulnerable than most people would be and simply also more resistant and resolved than most people because Shep's just a badass like that.

I still wonder about the kid. The video I linked pointed out that no one except Shepard seems to see the kid. I mean, a child struggling to climb on a shuttle and no one helps him? Standing there staring at a reaper and no one grabs him and tries to shove him aboard? Everyone is grabbing everyone else and rushing to escape, but everyone ignores a kid standing there?

If you think about the kid as the attempts for indoctrination though, it makes sense.

When you first meet him, he tells Shepard that Shep can't help him. Then he gets on a shuttle and gets blown up. He immediately becomes a representation of hopelessness to Shep, a vision of the ultimate inability for Shepard to save even one small child. The dreams continue this, and then the guardian.

Here's my little addition to this theory.

The guardian, same as the reapers, took notice. They really don't notice organics or give them any significance except Shepard. Shep is not just a symbol to the people he/she's trying to save, Shep's a symbol to the reapers too, to whatever intelligence controls them. A symbol of resistance.

I mean, why did they blast two shuttles out of the air and ignore the normandy? The destroyer at the start of the game logically could have ended everything right then and right there. Blast the shuttles, then shep, then the completely ineffectual ground forces. The Normandy was right there for the destroying and they did not.

If you think about it as the reapers recognizing resistance and seeking to crush the actual resistance, it kinda makes sense. As much as it can be, it's personal both ways. They want to break Shepard, because you break shepard and you break everything Shep stands for, everything Shep has done becomes nothing.

And that's what leads us into the final choice in the ending they presented us. Do you submit to the ideas and ideals that lead to the reaper cycle? Or do you follow your convictions and end the cycle no matter what you have to sacrifice.

The Quake posted:

I feel retarded for trying to rationalize this in order to fulfill my desire of Bioware to actually be competent. Anyways...while it's all wild desperate speculation, the "everything up until this part is real" is where I disagree. Basically what I'm arguing is that everything after you get owned by Harbinger isn't real as well.

I agree with this. The "wakes up in rubble" scene absolutely implies that shep got blasted and then Harbinger tried to indoctrinate him/her while she was unconscious. I thought everything including Anderson somehow having beaten Shep onto the station made zero sense, unless it's all not real.

Honestly, what I'm kind of expecting is that you wake up in the DLC and the reaper threat isn't over, and you then go about finishing the game. They said the DLC is going to be called "the truth".

I don't know how I feel about this. If they didn't sell us a complete game... but at the same time they delayed the release and everything right up until the end is loving amazing in every way. I can't say how I feel about meeting a release date and finishing the game afterward and forcing people to spend more money on it.

Is thinking that they might release a great ending to this series and do it for free using all the money people have spent on multiplayer stuff to fund it dumber than thinking that they'd release a great ending in the first place?

Probably. If they do a good ending I'll definitely buy it and I know they're probably counting on that. But then, before the ending turned out to be poo poo I was already going to buy every piece of DLC they released just like I did for ME2

TheSpiritFox fucked around with this message at 22:50 on Mar 17, 2012

bunky
Aug 29, 2004

bunky posted:

Ok, I tried to browse through the thread and search the best I could, but I didn't see any glaring fixes to my problem. I bought the Digital Deluxe PC version, and lately 9 times out of 10 can't connect to the servers to verify my DLC. I feel like I've wasted 80 bucks at this point and would just like to play. I see people in Google searches with similar problems, but no concrete solutions. Anyone know what I can do to fix this poo poo?

Hah gently caress. EA Live Chat wants me to disable my virus protection and firewall to fix this. Holy potatoes, what is wrong with this company?

Chalupa Picada
Jan 13, 2009

Internet Kraken posted:

I don't think Kai Leng would have been improved if he was a quarian.

Pretty sure the Asari are space elves; super long lives, most advanced civilization, total disdain for every other race in the galaxy...

doo doo thief
Jun 5, 2007

by Fistgrrl

bunky posted:

Hah gently caress. EA Live Chat wants me to disable my virus protection and firewall to fix this. Holy potatoes, what is wrong with this company?

If your firewall is blocking connections on the ports they use to verify the dlc that's a pretty common and likely effective suggestion assuming they mean to disable it just long enough to verify your stuff then restart everything.

The insidious legion of China's botnet isn't going to turn your computer into a bomb if you have your firewall off for 5 minutes.

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

and what kind of world would it be? HUH?!
I think people are putting way more stock in bioware being able to pull off an ending like the one you're describing.

Scuzzywuffit
Feb 5, 2012

TheSpiritFox posted:

Honestly, what I'm kind of expecting is that you wake up in the DLC and the reaper threat isn't over, and you then go about finishing the game. They said the DLC is going to be called "the truth".

I don't know how I feel about this. If they didn't sell us a complete game... but at the same time they delayed the release and everything right up until the end is loving amazing in every way. I can't say how I feel about meeting a release date and finishing the game afterward and forcing people to spend more money on it.

The same source that said it would be called "The Truth" also said that it would be free, which does make me a little bit less angry about the whole "selling an unfinished game and then charging more to finish it," thing. And I guess changing the ending because it leaked does kind of make sense? Kind of?

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Yasser Arafatwa posted:

Pretty sure the Asari are space elves; super long lives, most advanced civilization, total disdain for every other race in the galaxy...

They also used to live in forested areas and their basic unit of organisation was groups of canny biotic (elf magic) hunters. Also they all seem to be beautiful without exception.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.
Actually the Asari love everybody else. Pureblood Asari can actually get discriminated against. For example, (Shadow Broker)Vasir calling Liara "Pureblood bitch"

Sombrerotron
Aug 1, 2004

Release my children! My hat is truly great and mighty.

Sultan Tarquin posted:

I think people are putting way more stock in bioware being able to pull off an ending like the one you're describing.
I like to think they did a good job of ME1 and ME2's endings, so I don't see why they couldn't do it a third time. BG2:ToB, NWN:HotU and DA:O (and quite possibly JE and DA2 as well, but I've never played those) also provided perfectly satisfactory epilogues for your party members and the world at large. They should definitely be capable of it, it's more of a question whether they're willing to do so at this point.

CaptainCarrot
Jun 9, 2010

Scuzzywuffit posted:

The same source that said it would be called "The Truth" also said that it would be free, which does make me a little bit less angry about the whole "selling an unfinished game and then charging more to finish it," thing. And I guess changing the ending because it leaked does kind of make sense? Kind of?

Bear in mind that the source was from 4chan ultimately, so just toss it out the window.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Scuzzywuffit posted:

We want to believe, hold the line, yadda yadda. :patriot:

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
If that chart a couple pages ago is even remotely accurate (86% Soldier, 2% Engineer?!) it's no wonder the series is so easy even on "Normal" difficulty because Goddamn, the class that can literally deal with any enemy in the game by themselves is overshadowed FORTY TO ONE by the class that has to actually aim?

edit: holy poo poo Primarch Victus does sound exactly like Alec Baldwin with a Turian Filter, how did I not notice that before

precision fucked around with this message at 23:27 on Mar 17, 2012

Scuzzywuffit
Feb 5, 2012

CaptainCarrot posted:

Bear in mind that the source was from 4chan ultimately, so just toss it out the window.

Well poo poo. All of the articles I saw on it just glossed right on over that part. It seemed like such a non-lovely, reasonable way to go about things, too.

:smith:

bunky
Aug 29, 2004

doo doo thief posted:

If your firewall is blocking connections on the ports they use to verify the dlc that's a pretty common and likely effective suggestion assuming they mean to disable it just long enough to verify your stuff then restart everything.

The insidious legion of China's botnet isn't going to turn your computer into a bomb if you have your firewall off for 5 minutes.

I've been playing the game up to about level 25. It's not like I've never been able to log in. I don't think anyone mentioned China, but thanks for the help!
E: I disabled MSE and Windows Firewall and tried to run the game to no avail. Guess the Red Army wins again?

bunky fucked around with this message at 23:39 on Mar 17, 2012

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

Zedd posted:

People are stupid everywhere.
Pure soldier is boring as hell imo, all jokes over my vanguard obsession aside I enjoy every class that isn't a pure soldier. It's an RPG (don't derail this into a debate) so why would I go for "dude that shoots a gun" over space wizards and engineers and stuff.

Few pages back, but Soldier isn't actually all that gun heavy. :ssh:

Well, in ME1 it was, since it was mainly using the guns abilities, like that reduce heat/increase accuracy boost for Assault Rifles, but in two, it quickly became a more control orientated Infiltrator, and in three, its actually some sort of time controlling melee class.

I kid you not.

With fully specced out Adrenaline Rush/Fortification/Fitness/Combat whatever, I was able to slow down everything to a crawl for a decent amount of time, and during this time, did something like 500% increased melee damage. Which amounts to basic gun punts killing everything up to Brutes/Banshees, and heavy attacks killing those in 1-2 hits.

And if things went bad, I just repopped AR and got my shields back, and more slowmo time to punch people.

I spent the entire game in some sort of quasislowmo, since if you remove all guns but a Heavy Pistol, and grab the cooldown reduction you can keep it up forever ( this felt like a design oversight. ), and just ran around playing Shepard Slaps a Bitch the video game.

You know that rush of brutes near the end in London? I didn't even have to dodge, or shoot a gun at all, I just ran in, popped my AR/Fort, and then punched them to death before I had to recharge anything.

Compared to watching my buddy struggle with these shoddy little glowy things he can throw around that don't seem to do anything to Cerberus, it was a lot more fun.

Tezzeract
Dec 25, 2007

Think I took a wrong turn...

Bean posted:

All of you who actually like Vega must not be playing ChickShep. God damnit, no, you can NOT call me Lola, I did NOT come to the cargo bay just to 'watch', and if you tell me one more time that I fill out a uniform nicely I will right hook you in the cajones, pendejo. I Virmire'd Kaiden for less horse poo poo than this, I will drop you off at the next vorcha colony before you can say "mmmm grizzlies".

Actually, what you said but the opposite. Vega is hilarious especially since he's too much of a tease to do anything. Getting him to back down by through exchanging flirty quips gave me a good laugh.

Basically Vega's the best.

Sultan Tarquin posted:

Pretty much. Bioware is NOT known for subtley.

Tezzeract fucked around with this message at 23:56 on Mar 17, 2012

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Rookersh posted:

I spent the entire game in some sort of quasislowmo, since if you remove all guns but a Heavy Pistol, and grab the cooldown reduction you can keep it up forever ( this felt like a design oversight. ), and just ran around playing Shepard Slaps a Bitch the video game.

Imagine how this must look to a not-timelord POV. Just shepard running around like the flash and pistolwhipping brutes to death...:allears:

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

Android Blues posted:

They also used to live in forested areas and their basic unit of organisation was groups of canny biotic (elf magic) hunters. Also they all seem to be beautiful without exception.

I've always thought they just had a subtly hypnotizing aspect, making everyone see them slightly different and look more like their race, just look at the bachelor party in Mass Effect 2! Hell they might be creepy tentacle aliens for all we know.

Rape Jake.
Feb 23, 2012

by T. Mascis
I just woke up to my non-gamer flatmate playing ME2 and getting utterly loving confused at every dialogue choice screaming that he "just wants to play" and then running into battle with his shockwave specced Vanguard. :stare:

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Davincie posted:

I've always thought they just had a subtly hypnotizing aspect, making everyone see them slightly different and look more like their race, just look at the bachelor party in Mass Effect 2! Hell they might be creepy tentacle aliens for all we know.

...might be? :raise:

That's actually a pretty good theory though.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Rape Jake. posted:

I just woke up to my non-gamer flatmate playing ME2 and getting utterly loving confused at every dialogue choice screaming that he "just wants to play" and then running into battle with his shockwave specced Vanguard. :stare:
Charge at him and punch him in the face, It will both help with his stupidity and teach him how to play the class.

Chib
Nov 20, 2006

precision posted:

If that chart a couple pages ago is even remotely accurate (86% Soldier, 2% Engineer?!) it's no wonder the series is so easy even on "Normal" difficulty because Goddamn, the class that can literally deal with any enemy in the game by themselves is overshadowed FORTY TO ONE by the class that has to actually aim?

I'm a femShep engineer. I feel very ... special.

THE PWNER
Sep 7, 2006

by merry exmarx

Android Blues posted:

There's not a single overweight person in 3 games so that sounds about normal for all the races really. Zaeed and old people not withstanding.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

THE PWNER posted:

There's not a single overweight person in 3 games so that sounds about normal for all the races really. Zaeed and old people not withstanding.

Zaeed is actually pretty guddamn handsome. Every single human in the games is attractive, which clearly proves the genetic superiority of the race.

Count Choculitis
Sep 13, 2007

I love you, Shepard. I always have. I want to understand what this is between us... and make it real.

r1ngwthszzors posted:

Actually, what you said but the opposite. Vega is hilarious especially since he's too much of a tease to do anything. Getting him to back down by through exchanging flirty quips gave me a good laugh.

Basically Vega's the best.

I agree, calling him out and hearing him get all antsy and awkward is hilarious. I was prepared to hate him and wound up loving him - they did a good job making him a cool guy without trying to overpower the other (returning) squadmates.

Mischitary
Oct 9, 2007
Kai Leng is kind of goofy but I dunno...him being such a weird idiot ninja actually made me want to kill him even more so mission accomplished?

nessin
Feb 7, 2010

Rape Jake. posted:

A common enough situation that Bioware went so far as to putting in an option to remove the dialog wheel and let the game select the conversation option for you.

The Quake
Nov 1, 2006

I'm always pretty surprised to find out that most people play games that way, skip every cutscene, fast forward through every dialog, don't read a single goddamn word through the whole game.

It makes me pretty sad.

MadRhetoric
Feb 18, 2011

I POSSESS QUESTIONABLE TASTE IN TOUHOU GAMES

The Quake posted:

I'm always pretty surprised to find out that most people play games that way, skip every cutscene, fast forward through every dialog, don't read a single goddamn word through the whole game.

It makes me pretty sad.

It's not that strange for people playing a video game to want to get to the gameplay part. It is strange that someone playing a talkgame to not want to do the talking part, since that's a part of the gameplay.

Remember: Mass Effect (especially 2 and 3) aren't swinging just with RPGs, they're swinging with cover shooters, where the cutscenes and dialog parts are just window dressing.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

The Quake posted:

I play Kingdom Hearts that way because yeah the gameplay is pretty fun but hooooooooooly poo poo that series is bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound
So, I go back and re-do the ending of ME2 so Garrus lives. Jack dies. gently caress. I go back and do it again and everyone lives. Yay. I put in ME3, download the day 1 DLC (gently caress you Bioware) and during the opening segments I accidentally kick my xbox when getting up to take a leak, causing the machine to utterly ruin my disc. Now I have to go back to Best Buy and return it. In a monsoon.

• Locked thread