Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Synonamess Botch
Jun 5, 2006

dicks are for my cat
I hit level 36 or something with my vanguard and I'm just accumulating points. What the gently caress am I supposed to put these into. I already maxed charge, nova, fitness, and training. Should I just save them and wait for a bonus power in NG+? Is there a bonus power worth getting as a VG? I'm playing on insanity and there is nothing I can't kill already

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZombyDog
Jul 11, 2001

Ere to fix yer gubbinz

Chib posted:

I'm a femShep engineer. I feel very ... special.
My engineer playthrough was a blast, spamming chain overload at everything - I did find the drone & turret really underwhelming though.

doo doo thief
Jun 5, 2007

by Fistgrrl

Synonamess Botch posted:

I hit level 36 or something with my vanguard and I'm just accumulating points. What the gently caress am I supposed to put these into. I already maxed charge, nova, fitness, and training. Should I just save them and wait for a bonus power in NG+? Is there a bonus power worth getting as a VG? I'm playing on insanity and there is nothing I can't kill already

You probably want to get a bonus power to better deal with armor as the later game's banshees and brutes are kinda tough for Vanguard (at least judging from my VG multiplayer experience). So talk up Garrus or Vega for AP Ammo or Carnage respectively.

Energy Drain from Tali's conversations could also be nice for stripping cerberus shields and giving you a second shield restoring ability or maybe one of the fortification abilities to stay alive and A.B.C. errrday.

I think I got the bonus power : character matchups correct, but someone feel free to tell me I'm wrong and or stupid.

Tezzeract
Dec 25, 2007

Think I took a wrong turn...

Zedd posted:

Charge at him and punch him in the face, It will both help with his stupidity and teach him how to play the class.

Heavy melee is the best thing. Ever since ME1's Kaiden biotic kicked someone so hard that they died, I've always wanted to play a cinematic style biotic.

Jack is a vanguard right guys?

DoYouHasaRabbit
Oct 8, 2007
For the Unwavering achievement which is "Finish all multiplayer maps on Gold or all single-player missions on Insanity." Does that mean I need to finish all the Cerberus missions or what? I really don't feel like doing Grunt's mission with the Rachni queen. I hate those things that shoot out missiles. They cut down my shields with one shot.

DoYouHasaRabbit fucked around with this message at 02:26 on Mar 18, 2012

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.

doo doo thief posted:

You probably want to get a bonus power to better deal with armor as the later game's banshees and brutes are kinda tough for Vanguard (at least judging from my VG multiplayer experience). So talk up Garrus or Vega for AP Ammo or Carnage respectively.

Energy Drain from Tali's conversations could also be nice for stripping cerberus shields and giving you a second shield restoring ability or maybe one of the fortification abilities to stay alive and A.B.C. errrday.

I think I got the bonus power : character matchups correct, but someone feel free to tell me I'm wrong and or stupid.

AP ammo ability gives you more damage, and the penetration mod 'for free' for all guns--you can shoot through a meter of cover at high levels! Really useful for sniper and scoped guns, and gently caress guardians.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

ZombyDog posted:

My engineer playthrough was a blast, spamming chain overload at everything - I did find the drone & turret really underwhelming though.

Yeah, singleplayer Engineer just max Incinerate, Overload and Alliance Training first, then put exactly one point in Drone or Turret until you've also maxed Cryo Blast.

Engineer was the best class before, and now they're even better.

edit: Yeah, and take AP Ammo for your bonus, at least at first.

Hentai Tentacle Demon
Apr 12, 2002

Spacy Spicy Love

DoYouHasaRabbit posted:

For the Unwavering achievement which is "Finish all multiplayer maps on Gold or all single-player missions on Insanity." Does that mean I need to finish all the Cerberus missions or what? I really don't feel like doing Grunt's mission with the Rachni queen. I hate those things that shoot out missiles. They cut down my shields with one shot.

Yes it is every mission in the game.

Bring Garrus and Liara with you on that mission to strip shields and stasis bubble the annoying enemies.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.

DoYouHasaRabbit posted:

Ravagers. Shoot their sacs (the fleshy bags) and that keeps their swarmers from spawning. They're a bit tough, but warp, AP/Incendiery ammo, and focus fire take them down fast.

Also, if there's a regular enemy (husk, marauder, etc) next to them you can set up a biotic explosion (pull+warp, warp+throw, singularity+warp/throw, etc) and take a huge chunk of health that way. This technique is really a basic crowd-clearing method that's so brutally effective there's even a datapad describing it in game.

Hentai Tentacle Demon
Apr 12, 2002

Spacy Spicy Love
Also remember that when you tell your teammates to attack a specific target they do almost double damage to it compared to letting them shoot whatever they want.

Pop out of cover and direct both of your teammates onto a ravager, then use your stringest ability on it. They'll die in about 5-6 seconds on insanity.

Directing Garrus and Liara onto the ravager, make garrus use maxed out overload specced to do more damage and double damage to barriers/shields/armor and have liara stasis bubble the ravager. Usually this will catch a swarmer or husk or some poo poo in the bubble too. Pop another biotic ability on that secondary snag while they are in the bubble and the explosion will kill the ravager in one hit.

Ignorant Hick
Mar 26, 2010

OAquinas posted:

Ravagers. Shoot their sacs (the fleshy bags) and that keeps their swarmers from spawning. They're a bit tough, but warp, AP/Incendiery ammo, and focus fire take them down fast.

I thought it was the other way around. I could have sworn that shooting those sacks was what spawned swarmers. Seems counter intuitive to make the dangerous bits huge and easy to pop.

edit: To clarify, making the sacks larger and the thing that spawns swarmers makes sense from a gameplay perspective because it provides a greater challenge to kill a Ravager without hitting its sacks.

Ignorant Hick fucked around with this message at 02:45 on Mar 18, 2012

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Ignorant Hick posted:

I thought it was the other way around. I could have sworn that shooting those sacks was what spawned swarmers. Seems counter intuitive to make the dangerous bits huge and easy to pop.

There's two types, ones that explode and others that spawn swarmers.

Ignorant Hick
Mar 26, 2010

Party Plane Jones posted:

There's two types, ones that explode and others that spawn swarmers.

Any way to tell which does what or is it just a fun surprise?

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

Ignorant Hick posted:

edit: To clarify, making the sacks larger and the thing that spawns swarmers makes sense from a gameplay perspective because it provides a greater challenge to kill a Ravager without hitting its sacks.

Yes and no, the sacs spawn the swarmers but after they die they spawn anyway (sacks explode when they die) so you might as well kill them quicker cause the swarmers will come anyway.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Ignorant Hick posted:

Any way to tell which does what or is it just a fun surprise?

I believe the one that spawns swarmers has a black top. They are visually distinct though but I'm not sure if they are ever located near each other. It could very well be that after you start seeing the black ones the exploding ones aren't in new areas.

Hentai Tentacle Demon
Apr 12, 2002

Spacy Spicy Love
The sacks will continuously generate swarmers until they pop, when you pop them a fixed amount release but will stop coming after you kill those ones.

Popping all 4 sacks on a ravager will instantly kill it as well.

Also if you get up in their face they will purposely pop a swarmer sack and gently caress you up.

Edit: Also the green fluid and gas fog poo poo that comes out of popped sacks/dead ravagers is acidic and will destroy you, don't stay in melee range of them after they die/pop a sack.

Hentai Tentacle Demon fucked around with this message at 02:57 on Mar 18, 2012

Haledjian
May 29, 2008

YOU CAN'T MOVE WITH ME IN THIS DIGITAL SPACE
So when I finish the game and it kicks me back to before the penultimate mission, how do I do a NG+? Do I just do new game and then load that last save?

Rape Jake.
Feb 23, 2012

by T. Mascis

Hentai Tentacle Demon posted:

Also if you get up in their face they will purposely pop a swarmer sack and gently caress you up.

Tell that to the pile of dead Ravagers my Krogan Sentinel is sitting atop.

Ignorant Hick
Mar 26, 2010

Haledjian posted:

So when I finish the game and it kicks me back to before the penultimate mission, how do I do a NG+? Do I just do new game and then load that last save?

Yeah, it creates one autosave per completed game.

rawdog pozfail
Jan 2, 2006

by Ralp
I'm playing through Mass Effect 2 again but I wanted to save Ash instead of Kaiden without playing through ME1, so I got that little interactive DLC comic. I gotta say, I'm really enjoying this stroll through ME1 memory lane as narrated by Jennifer Hale.

DoYouHasaRabbit
Oct 8, 2007
I ended up using Garrus and James on the Rachni mission. I think I started it early and got killed in 2 hits and said gently caress it and came back later in the game. I have 4928 military strength, 54% readiness rating and 2666 effective military strength. So I basically just need to level up in multiplayer to get the synthetic ending?

Haledjian
May 29, 2008

Haha god dammit, I'm doing a NG+ and I can't kill Dr. Eva in the little charge thing. I have a shotgun, the sticky bomb pistol, and that really slow semi-automatic rifle, which takes her down to 1 health bar and then doesn't do any damage. I've died like 10 times now, this is terrible.

Tried it with the shotgun too, once she's down to one health bar she doesn't lose any more health even from direct hits. Is this a bug?

Hentai Tentacle Demon
Apr 12, 2002

Spacy Spicy Love
Shoot her in the head.

Mr. Pumroy
May 20, 2001

I've never used the sticky bomb pistol. Is it just that it doesn't do enough damage in time before she reaches you?

The first time I went through that sequence I tried to switch from the pistol the scene started me with to my shotgun, but the slow-mo weapon switch took so long that by the time I had the shotgun up Eva had knocked me to the ground and stabbed me in the face.

Haledjian
May 29, 2008

Mr. Pumroy posted:

I've never used the sticky bomb pistol. Is it just that it doesn't do enough damage in time before she reaches you?

The first time I went through that sequence I tried to switch from the pistol the scene started me with to my shotgun, but the slow-mo weapon switch took so long that by the time I had the shotgun up Eva had knocked me to the ground and stabbed me in the face.
Yeah, she kills me before the sticky bombs go off.

The AR and the shotgun can get her down to one health bar and then I have time to get off one last shot, which so far has not gotten rid of that last health bar, and then I die.

Mr. Pumroy
May 20, 2001

Man I don't know. Any chance you could find an earlier save prior to a time you pick up a weapon so you can change your loadout to a conventional pistol? That's what I'd try doing.

Hentai Tentacle Demon
Apr 12, 2002

Spacy Spicy Love
Even on insanity you only have to shoot her like 3 times with a pistol before the cut scene triggers, not sure what you are doing. Just use whatever gun is in your hands when the scene starts. In my game it forces a pistol into my hands instead of the AR I was using. You don't actually kill her health bar, it just takes like 2-3 bars off and the cut scene kicks in. Again, try shooting her in the head instead of her body. Every time I've done that part 2-3 shots in the head drops her on insanity.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe
The Mass Effect wikia is slow as gently caress to update with info about Mass Effect 3, and the FAQs on Gamefaqs are lovely and there's only two of 'em. Is there a better site for information? I want to know where the gently caress these side-missions are sending me, so I don't wander for goddamned hours.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Hentai Tentacle Demon posted:

Even on insanity you only have to shoot her like 3 times with a pistol before the cut scene triggers, not sure what you are doing. Just use whatever gun is in your hands when the scene starts. In my game it forces a pistol into my hands instead of the AR I was using. You don't actually kill her health bar, it just takes like 2-3 bars off and the cut scene kicks in. Again, try shooting her in the head instead of her body. Every time I've done that part 2-3 shots in the head drops her on insanity.

The problem is that the pistol people are talking about has a delay before the explosive bullets detonate. The delay is apparently longer than the time you have.

Count Choculitis
Sep 13, 2007

I love you, Shepard. I always have. I want to understand what this is between us... and make it real.

rotinaj posted:

The Mass Effect wikia is slow as gently caress to update with info about Mass Effect 3, and the FAQs on Gamefaqs are lovely and there's only two of 'em. Is there a better site for information? I want to know where the gently caress these side-missions are sending me, so I don't wander for goddamned hours.

There's a list of quests and where to go for most things in the OP. :)

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

ImpAtom posted:

The problem is that the pistol people are talking about has a delay before the explosive bullets detonate. The delay is apparently longer than the time you have.

It could be worse: if you don't have less than a single pistol clip, the game doesn't give you more and you probably won't be able to kill her before she reaches you.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe
I don't see this particular question answered, but how the gently caress do I get to the Hades Nexus? I just did Priority: Citadel II, do I need to do a further mission?

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

rotinaj posted:

I don't see this particular question answered, but how the gently caress do I get to the Hades Nexus? I just did Priority: Citadel II, do I need to do a further mission?

Think so, yeah. The way sidequests and exploration are handled is pretty clunky.

CaptainCarrot
Jun 9, 2010

Holy Calamity! posted:

I'm playing through Mass Effect 2 again but I wanted to save Ash instead of Kaiden without playing through ME1, so I got that little interactive DLC comic. I gotta say, I'm really enjoying this stroll through ME1 memory lane as narrated by Jennifer Hale.

Go to masseffectsaves.com instead. You get to select every choice, including all the little sidequests.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

natetimm posted:

So, I go back and re-do the ending of ME2 so Garrus lives. Jack dies. gently caress. I go back and do it again and everyone lives. Yay. I put in ME3, download the day 1 DLC (gently caress you Bioware) and during the opening segments I accidentally kick my xbox when getting up to take a leak, causing the machine to utterly ruin my disc. Now I have to go back to Best Buy and return it. In a monsoon.

It's just like my dad always told me when I was a young boy: "Don't kick your xbox when getting up to take a leak".

Gordon Shumway
Jan 21, 2008

Dear Bioware,

Please make the next DLC a multiplayer character pack that includes a Hanar vanguard.

Signed, Gordon Shumway

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.
I don't know if it's the muffling from the helmet or the wide-eyes she has going on behind it, but the 'About what?' Hale's Shepard gives Ashley when she asks for a straight answer about Cerberus on Mars is really, really funny.

nixar55
Jul 25, 2003

She packed my bags last night. Pre-flight. Zero hour nine a.m. And I'm gonna be high as a kite by then.
Knowing that all the endings apparently sucked made the final choice pretty easy for me. Because I didn't care. I got... an ending. Not happy, but I enjoyed the rest of the game.

I agonized more over which LI to lock in. I felt like the game really wanted FemShep to be with Kaiden (if he lived) in the beginning. But I stuck to my ME2 choice of Garrus and was really pleased with the romantic exchanges. They were really sweet.

God, Kaiden is such a tool. Does anyone ever pick the human LI? They're usually so boring. Except for Miranda, I guess.

I was pleasantly surprised by Vega and Javik was worth the $10 for his crew interactions alone.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Hey, I got a question regarding ME1: How is it that Anderson knew that the Saren in Shepard's report is the same as the spectre Saren. Granted he knew that Nihilus was familiar with Saren, but it could still have been someone different. It seems rather reckless to go leveling treason accusation unless you know for sure yourself that it's the same guy. I mean, imagine the egg on everyone's faces if instead of going into villain monologue mode, Saren's response was "Goddamnit, this is the 3rd time this cycle! I'm not the only Saren in the galaxy!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thulsa Doom
Jun 20, 2011

Ezekiel 23:20

precision posted:

Every single human in the games is attractive,

Did your game bug out and make Allers disappear?

• Locked thread