Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MartingaleJack
Aug 26, 2004

I'll split you open and I don't even like coconuts.

Maytag posted:

Don't listen to that guy.

If book two didn't grab you, that's because it was the weakest book. Read book three.

It's not like you're gonna read one more book and die (probably). Read Way of Kings after.

I just read your posts in this thread BananaNutkins, your favorite DT book is Wizard and Glass. The correct order is 1 2 3 4 7 6 5

Alloy of Law was kinda mediocre.

I unapologetically love character focused fantasy. Using that as a measuring stick, I think you can see why Wizard and Glass was my favorite DT book, and why I liked Mistborn 1 the most, followed by 2, followed by 3.

All the good character arcs are completed by the end of 2, after which its just silly magic system/lore conflicts and Matrix: Revolutions inspired fight scenes. I have a lot of problems with the Elend and Spook arcs that the third book focuses on. Vin is almost interesting in book two, until she chooses the most boriing love interest character development-wise.

And the correct Dark Tower book order is as follows:

4 2 go blow yourselves other books in the series, you sucked.

MartingaleJack fucked around with this message at 15:21 on Mar 17, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Subvisual Haze
Nov 22, 2003

The building was on fire and it wasn't my fault.
I'd say Spook's character arc in book 3 was one of my favorite parts of the trilogy.

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
Just finished the Mistborn trilogy and am close to finishing Alloy of Law. I really like Alloy of Law. It's like reading Robert Downey Jr.'s Sherlock Holmes.

edit: But with, you know, more magic.

Professor Wayne fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Mar 17, 2012

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

keiran_helcyan posted:

I'd say Spook's character arc in book 3 was one of my favorite parts of the trilogy.

Yeah, I got pissed off in 3 whenever I was in the middle of a Spook section and it switched to someone else.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

muscles like this? posted:

Yeah, I got pissed off in 3 whenever I was in the middle of a Spook section and it switched to someone else.

The last bits of the Spook arc when he starts hearing Kelsier's voice AFTER he pulled out the pewter-granting spike had me choked up for a bit.

It was that awesome.

pakman
Jun 27, 2011

I really liked the Spook arc in the 3rd book as well. I thought it showed him trying to emulate Vin and Kelsier to such a degree that he ended up hurting himself, and was also being manipulated by ruin. I thought he had great character development in the series and came into his own as an allomancer.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I also agree that Spook's arc was a great part of the series, one of my favourites at least.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

I just re read the first Mistborn book and holy poo poo is there foreshadowing everywhere. I don't know how I didn't catch some of this stuff.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Democratic Pirate posted:

I just re read the first Mistborn book and holy poo poo is there foreshadowing everywhere. I don't know how I didn't catch some of this stuff.

Wait till we get to book 10 of Stormlight Archive.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice

Democratic Pirate posted:

"I am, unfortunately, the Hero of Ages" is one of the greatest spoilers ever.

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

I finished Alloy of Law last night, and I have to say I really prefer this book to the original Mistborn trilogy. I'm really looking forward to more in this time period with Wax, and if the rumors about a modern trilogy are true I think that could be incredible too.

arioch posted:

Maybe I'm just completely dense, but until just near the end, I was quite sure that was Vin writing those parts.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice

Casao posted:

Maybe I'm just completely dense, but until just near the end, I was quite sure that was

That's why it's so good.

quote:

Vin writing those parts.

Too unlikely a person, she never kept a journal to begin with, and her voice was completely different.

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

arioch posted:

Too unlikely a person, she never kept a journal to begin with, and her voice was completely different.

I went straight from 2 to 3, and the much more solemn tone seemed to fit the whole "Well, I majorly hosed up and doomed everything by releasing Ruin." thing.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

arioch posted:

The Audiobook version pretty much ruins this. The reader has a specific voice for each character and it makes it completely obvious who is talking. It's something you can puzzle out from word choice and such but still.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Take a look at what this ninth grader made for his school book report on The Way of Kings. :3:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=QkjLqKVp5yg

This kid is cool in my book and deserves an A+ for the year.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Cartoon Man posted:

Take a look at what this ninth grader made for his school book report on The Way of Kings. :3:

Who was Howie Mandell with a sword supposed to be?

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

IRQ posted:

Who was Howie Mandell with a sword supposed to be?

I think Szeth in his white truthless getup or whatever.

MartingaleJack
Aug 26, 2004

I'll split you open and I don't even like coconuts.
The part with the bread and jelly had me cracking up.

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender

Cartoon Man posted:

MPAA rating screen posted:

Violence, drinking, language, blood and gore, some thematic elements, stylized action sequences, and a scene of rape

Uh, either I'm forgetting something here or he read a different book than I did.

subx
Jan 12, 2003

If we hit that bullseye, the rest of the dominoes should fall like a house of cards. Checkmate.

Kreeblah posted:

Uh, either I'm forgetting something here or he read a different book than I did.

I think he confused GRRM with Sanderson.

eggsovereasy
May 6, 2011

I just finished reading the Mistborn books. I really liked them. The plot was good and I really liked how everything got tied together by the end.

That said, the characters... I didn't really like any of them that much and felt the character development and dialog was a bit forced or hamfisted. Like Sanderson was trying too hard to convey each character's personality.

Either way, I enjoyed it and will probably read more of his other stuff. Is Allow of Law good? I don't really care for the whole steampunk thing, but I might try it anyway.

subx
Jan 12, 2003

If we hit that bullseye, the rest of the dominoes should fall like a house of cards. Checkmate.

eggsovereasy posted:

I just finished reading the Mistborn books. I really liked them. The plot was good and I really liked how everything got tied together by the end.

That said, the characters... I didn't really like any of them that much and felt the character development and dialog was a bit forced or hamfisted. Like Sanderson was trying too hard to convey each character's personality.

Either way, I enjoyed it and will probably read more of his other stuff. Is Allow of Law good? I don't really care for the whole steampunk thing, but I might try it anyway.

Yea, I think he's getting better at this as time goes on though. It shows a bit in way of Kings, even though it's only the first book. He seems genuinely interested in improving his writing, where as a lot of writers kind of have the attitude "if you don't like it too bad."

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

eggsovereasy posted:

Is Allow of Law good? I don't really care for the whole steampunk thing, but I might try it anyway.

Alloy of Law is probably the best Mistborn book.

eggsovereasy
May 6, 2011

subx posted:

Yea, I think he's getting better at this as time goes on though. It shows a bit in way of Kings, even though it's only the first book. He seems genuinely interested in improving his writing, where as a lot of writers kind of have the attitude "if you don't like it too bad."

That's good news, because despite my criticism I did really enjoy the books.

Subvisual Haze
Nov 22, 2003

The building was on fire and it wasn't my fault.
Yeah, I'm a huge Sanderson fan since I've started reading him, and his work does seem to be constantly improving. Elantris had some decent concepts, but many of the characters were very boring to me. Warbreaker also had some great concepts, but it seemed Brandon's writing of a "witty" character could use some fine tuning. Mistborn was epic as all hell in story, but the characters were kind of thin.

His most recent books however have been fantastic, and show real growth on his part as an author. Way of Kings, Towers of Midnight, and Alloy of Law were all 5 star books in my mind. I can't wait to see where Brandon goes from here as an author. The fact that he writes these books so quickly, and seems like such a NICE guy in real life are just the icing on the cake.

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

eggsovereasy posted:

Alloy of Law isn't steam punk. It's set in an industrial era with trains and guns, but there's none of that bullshit magical steam air ships or whatever.

It's a book about a Wild West Sheriff going to an industrial town with guns and shooting up some bitches.

I also find Twinborns a million times more interesting than Mistborns ever were.

Kruller
Feb 20, 2004

It's time to restore dignity to the Farnsworth name!

BananaNutkins posted:

The part with the bread and jelly had me cracking up.

All I could think about every time the bread and jam showed up was how if someone hadn't read the books, how ridiculous those shots would seem.

JayJay
Jun 16, 2005

TEHHHHHH Jetplane!

Sanderson has somehow climbed up near the top of my favorite fantasy author spots, with guys Ive been reading for 10+ years. I found him when he replaced RJ, and have pretty much read everything he's released now. He may not have his greatest strength in characters, but its the overall worlds that he builds that come alive so well that they almost bring the characters to life with them.

As a side note, there were many characters in Mistborn that were incredibly complex and I thought Sanderson got me to care for them over 3 books. Unfortunately, most of those were not "main" characters. He is getting stronger with his character writing though, as can be seen in Stormlight, and the combination is going to make it one killer series.

Honestly at this point I am looking forward to Stormlight 2 more than I am Memory of Light. The first few chapters had me wondering if Sanderson wrote his first flop, and then 1/4th in and I couldn't put the book down until it was finished. Funny enough, it was the same exact way for me with the first WoT book.

JayJay fucked around with this message at 17:13 on Mar 22, 2012

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

Just started reading Warbreaker last night.

The more of Sanderson I read, the more I realize that he uses the same characters in almost every book. Which only makes Way of Kings more impressive, cause despite being similar, they're deep enough that I don't immediately go "Oh look, it's Elend." In fact, aside from the "Prince-type character who bucks tradition in order to do the right thing", it's really a stretch to find any of his usual characters.

I enjoy everything of his I've read. Just kinda samey (in the same way that Eddings was, and he's still one of my favorites).

subx
Jan 12, 2003

Brandon Sanderson posted:

All right. Kelsier and Moiraine are facing each other in the Suvudu cage match next round. Guess I should do a write up.

I think I'll just flip a coin to decide who wins, then write something that makes it seem logical.

Should be pretty cool. I love his silly little things like this.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Casao posted:

Just started reading Warbreaker last night.

The more of Sanderson I read, the more I realize that he uses the same characters in almost every book. Which only makes Way of Kings more impressive, cause despite being similar, they're deep enough that I don't immediately go "Oh look, it's Elend." In fact, aside from the "Prince-type character who bucks tradition in order to do the right thing", it's really a stretch to find any of his usual characters.

I enjoy everything of his I've read. Just kinda samey (in the same way that Eddings was, and he's still one of my favorites).

Yeah, it's pretty easy to spot his tropes. His favorite is the anti-princess; a stubborn, willful noblewoman who's witty and charming and bucks tradition.

There's not just one, but two of those in Way of Kings.

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

Just finished Way of Kings, and I'm super stoked for Stormlight 2. I thought the book was excellent, and you can definitely tell that Sanderson learns from each book how to make the next one better.

Starting Alloy of Law in an hour or so...after that, I'll be out of books again. Time to hit up the recommendation thread, I suppose.

As for Moirainne vs. Kelsier, I'm very torn. I want them to team up and rape the rest of the competition. In the end, I have to give it to Moirainne, though. The OP beats Allomancy. It is pretty amazing that he churned out the write up in like 30 minutes in between all his other projects, though I'm not surprised.

Above Our Own
Jun 24, 2009

by Shine
Hi I enjoy Scott Lynch and Joe Abercrombie! To a lesser extent, I like Rothfuss and GRRM. I don't really much care for Robert Jordan.

Now that you know all about me, do you think I would enjoy The Way of Kings? Someone lent me the book and I want to know what I'm getting into.

subx
Jan 12, 2003

Above Our Own posted:

Hi I enjoy Scott Lynch and Joe Abercrombie! To a lesser extent, I like Rothfuss and GRRM. I don't really much care for Robert Jordan.

Now that you know all about me, do you think I would enjoy The Way of Kings? Someone lent me the book and I want to know what I'm getting into.

Start with one of his smaller books like Mistborn, see if you enjoy that. If you hate his writing in those you might not like Way of Kings. He has a pretty unique style of writing, so disliking RJ doesn't mean you won't like BS.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Way of Kings isn't really his strongest work. It's very very very "this is the start of a 10 book series" and it shows.

Read Mistborn, it's pretty quick and will give you a decent sample of how he writes.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

gently caress that, jump right into Way of Kings!

Speak again the ancient oaths!
LIFE BEFORE DEATH
STRENGTH BEFORE WEAKNESS
JOURNEY BEFORE DESTINATION

and return to men the shards they once bore!
The Knights Radiant must stand again!
:black101:

Yeah, Mistborn is probably the best choice to see if you like his books.

Edit:

So aparently Brandon has a short story he co-authored with a friend of his, Ethan Skarstedt.
http://twitter.com/#!/BrandSanderson/status/183295705002147840/photo/1

From what I can tell, its a collection of stories around the theme of powered armor suits.
Buy it here: http://www.baenebooks.com/chapters/9781451638172/9781451638172.htm?blurb

Cartoon Man fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Mar 23, 2012

Above Our Own
Jun 24, 2009

by Shine
Yeah see that little blurb about the ancient oaths on the back struck me as really, really stupid and unimaginative. Like on the level of self parody.

But you know what gently caress it I'm going to read this book anyway. :cheers:

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

As you read, feel free to post your thoughts here! We are usually really good with spoilers if you let us know where in the book you are at.

wellwhoopdedooo
Nov 23, 2007

Pound Trooper!

Devorum posted:

Just finished Way of Kings, and I'm super stoked for Stormlight 2. I thought the book was excellent, and you can definitely tell that Sanderson learns from each book how to make the next one better.

Starting Alloy of Law in an hour or so...after that, I'll be out of books again. Time to hit up the recommendation thread, I suppose.

As for Moirainne vs. Kelsier, I'm very torn. I want them to team up and rape the rest of the competition. In the end, I have to give it to Moirainne, though. The OP beats Allomancy. It is pretty amazing that he churned out the write up in like 30 minutes in between all his other projects, though I'm not surprised.

Something another poster brought up in the WoT thread: Atium. Prescience is a pretty dang big equalizer, and the interactions between that and Balefire should be sweet as gently caress.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mortanis
Dec 28, 2005

It's your father's lightsaber. This is the weapon of a Jedi Knight.
College Slice

wellwhoopdedooo posted:

Something another poster brought up in the WoT thread: Atium. Prescience is a pretty dang big equalizer, and the interactions between that and Balefire should be sweet as gently caress.

I'll go nerd here, but Atium only matters if Kelsier can hit her. All Moiraine needs to do is throw up a wall of Air around her, and no coins Kelsier shoots will land on her, nor can he approach to ninja her to death. Atium might get him the ability to dodge weaves of Air or Balefire, but a shield of Air just about stops anything he can do cold.

Pending, of course, that Moraine can fight him based on believing him a Darkfriend, of course.