Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Doc Hawkins posted:

It shouldn't surprise me that someone capable of such astoundingly worthless analysis would misunderstand the relative value of various creative projects.

Or how using Kickstarter for companies that already have the infrastructure and staffing to make projects actually makes sense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

inscrutable horse
May 20, 2010

Parsing sage, rotating time

SenseLess posted:

Some other games mentioned in this thread such as Burntime or Road War 2000 did bring back some great memories, i hope we see some kind of revival of those classic game mechanics with maybe a little more polish and some fresh ideas. Looking forward to that....

Oh man, Burntime 2 is another game I'd donate a lot to, if it were on Kickstarter. Dad bought it for me once he was in Germany on a business trip, and I played the everloving poo poo out of it for years :allears: I wish I still had the original box+game, but I lost it during a flood :(

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Fintilgin posted:

I believe Master of Magic is owned by Atari. So... don't count on it.

:smith:

Yeah unless it changed hands again it is, and Atari's pretty bad these days. Here's hoping if/when Atari goes over a cliff the MoM IP gets bought up by someone that isn't EA or Activision.

Been trying to replay the first game and I just have no idea what the hell I'm doing, what stats affect what skills and how, or anything else. I also started the game in true post-apocalyptic fashion by immediately running to a radiation-saturated area to the north and dying before I knew what was what. At least I'm using a team I made myself and loaded up with extra bullets from the generics I deleted. :toot:

Dissapointed Owl posted:

Honestly, I don't think he knew what he was getting himself into with that statement. And if he doesn't want his game to become a schizophrenic clusterfuck he'll ignore the majority of the (mostly white noise) suggestions and threats (yes, they're already threatening to do this/that if this/that isn't implemented or some such) and just make the game he wants to make.

He's not new to game development and would be fully aware of what happens when you ask for player feedback and how much of it needs to be ignored completely to remain sane(ish).

The article is as bad as the site's layout. Jesus what a terrible amount of poorly conceived :qq:

Denzer
May 15, 2009
I think the people who are getting upset about the recent big kickstarter projects are drastically underestimating the net gain to the smaller projects from the influx of new people and expanded awareness of kickstarter.

I had not even heard of kickstarter before the doublefine thing, that got me into funding the Wasteland 2 project, and I will continue to fund any small projects that I find now that I am aware of the site. I think overall this is going to be positive for even the really small four-five figure projects. It's a great model.

One question, that black gate guy says in his post that Amazon takes 10%? I thought it was only 5%?

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Denzer posted:

I think the people who are getting upset about the recent big kickstarter projects are drastically underestimating the net gain to the smaller projects from the influx of new people and expanded awareness of kickstarter.

I had not even heard of kickstarter before the doublefine thing, that got me into funding the Wasteland 2 project, and I will continue to fund any small projects that I find now that I am aware of the site. I think overall this is going to be positive for even the really small four-five figure projects. It's a great model.

One question, that black gate guy says in his post that Amazon takes 10%? I thought it was only 5%?

Kickstarter takes 5, Amazon takes 5. Then you have to account for unfulfilled pledges/renegers.

edit: He seems to be under the impression that Amazon owns Kickstarter, but I can't find any evidence of this.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 02:51 on Mar 18, 2012

bonds0097
Oct 23, 2010

I would cry but I don't think I can spare the moisture.
Pillbug
So, I'm no Quarex but as a huge Fallout 1/2 Fan who's never played Wasteland, I'm considering running a video Let's Play from a new player's perspective and posting it.

My main question is this: I'd like to create a custom band of Rangers but would like some sort of theme behind it and was wondering if anyone had any good ideas?

Also, I was going to play some suitably post-apocalyptic music in the background so that it wouldn't just be my voice and nothing else. Sound reasonable? I've never actually done a Let's Play before and I imagine running one for Wasteland would take quite a while.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

precision posted:

If I had Steve Jackson's email, I would pester him nonstop about getting up a Kickstarter for an online INWO game. gently caress, I'd play it even if it was a drat Facebook app.

This would be awesome. There's no INWO that I'm aware of, but the non-collectible version has a VASSAL module.

Denzer
May 15, 2009

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

Kickstarter takes 5, Amazon takes 5. Then you have to account for unfulfilled pledges/renegers.
Ahh ok I see, I was thinking of Amazon/Kickstarter as one entity.

Denzer
May 15, 2009
Does anyone know if Ubisoft owns the rights to the old SSI Gold Box D&D games?

Cousin Todd
Jul 3, 2007
Grimey Drawer

bonds0097 posted:

My main question is this: I'd like to create a custom band of Rangers but would like some sort of theme behind it and was wondering if anyone had any good ideas?

Four horsemen of the post-apocalypse.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA

Denzer posted:

Agreed. I certainly knew what Kickstarter was, and I had a vague awareness that the Double Fine thing was going on, but I also was never actually interested enough in anything I heard about via Kickstarter to actually care until I logged into Twitter for the first time in six months on March 5 and saw Ken St. Andre say "welp, Brian Fargo hired me for Wasteland 2" and my head literally exploded. Literally.

bonds0097 posted:

So, I'm no Quarex but as a huge Fallout 1/2 Fan who's never played Wasteland, I'm considering running a video Let's Play from a new player's perspective and posting it.

Also, I was going to play some suitably post-apocalyptic music in the background so that it wouldn't just be my voice and nothing else. Sound reasonable? I've never actually done a Let's Play before and I imagine running one for Wasteland would take quite a while.
Being "no Quarex" is particularly helpful if the way we differ is that you have enough time to do this justice. It would be a particularly interesting experience hearing someone who had never done it before--though you should be prepared for the possibility that you realize after about six hours that you cannot actually get accustomed to the old-style game (but your annoyance could still be funny).

Mordaedil's advice about posting a test-something in the Sandcastle would probably be helpful for you to make sure you had things figured out (I guess anyway, that was the first I had heard of the Sandcastle).

Playing Fallout music while doing your Let's Play might seem like the obvious choice, but could I humbly suggest you play Juno Reactor's "Luciana" and go a completely different horrifying route? It worked great for my horror/post-apocalypse tabletop game!

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

bonds0097 posted:

I'd like to create a custom band of Rangers but would like some sort of theme behind it and was wondering if anyone had any good ideas?

Prison guard and three ex-cons. They hate each other but they've got bigger problems now.

Cousin Todd
Jul 3, 2007
Grimey Drawer
Party consisting of republican primary candidates.

Seashell Salesman
Aug 4, 2005

Holy wow! That "Literally A Person" sure is a cool and good poster. He's smart and witty and he smells like a pure mountain stream. I posted in his thread and I got a FANCY NEW AVATAR!!!!
Gay Mormon and his three husbands.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

Spanish boy band (the mature one, the goatee'd one, etc)

Cousin Todd
Jul 3, 2007
Grimey Drawer
Entire party of Daves.

bonds0097
Oct 23, 2010

Pillbug
These are some awesome ideas, thanks guys.

I'm not too worried about getting frustrated by the interface. I learned to read thanks to playing King's Quest III when I was 3.

EDIT: Ooh, forgot I bought FO1 and 2 from GoG ages ago and they come with the soundtracks.

bonds0097 fucked around with this message at 04:09 on Mar 18, 2012

seorin
May 23, 2005

2 Sun's Dusk (Day 78)
Of the Seven Visions of Seven Trials of the Incarnate, I have now fulfilled the Fifth Trial.

Quarex posted:

Between the comments I have gotten about doing a Let's Play in this thread and in private messages, I am feeling increasingly like a Bad Wasteland 2ian. I promise I am weighing my real life not-getting-kicked-out-of-school obligations versus the possibility of beginning one before the Kickstarter ends and some crucial momentum is lost.

Not that I want you to jeopardize your education or anything, but I really, really want to see an informative screenshot LP of Wasteland, where you show all of us how the hell the game works and how to break it in half. I will raise my donation from $30 to $75 if you get the LP started before the kickstarter ends. Beta access would be cool, but I feel like I'd appreciate it more and be a much better tester if I had a good understanding of the original game first, so your LP would literally make it worth it to me.

HondaCivet
Oct 16, 2005

And then it falls
And then I fall
And then I know

As much as I want to see a Quarex LP, it sounds like he has RL poo poo to take care of first, and I would like Quarex to not fail at RL. Wasteland 2 won't be coming for awhile so I don't see why he has to get it done right away. Plus I'd like to see bonds0097 take a swing at an LP. He can fumble through the game and all the geezers can come in and help and I can vicariously live through him/her as another person who didn't get to play the game when it was new!

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy

Quarex posted:

SenseLess, thanks for your donation. I hope you do get access to the beta; maybe betas can avoid the rating system? Probably not.

YAAAAAY! That is the spirit.

Between the comments I have gotten about doing a Let's Play in this thread and in private messages, I am feeling increasingly like a Bad Wasteland 2ian. I promise I am weighing my real life not-getting-kicked-out-of-school obligations versus the possibility of beginning one before the Kickstarter ends and some crucial momentum is lost.

No 'forums reputation' is worth putting your future at risk for man, LPing is for those dudes with too much free time.

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!

bonds0097 posted:

EDIT: Ooh, forgot I bought FO1 and 2 from GoG ages ago and they come with the soundtracks.

You can get a remastered version of both soundtracks for free here if you'd like.

seorin
May 23, 2005

2 Sun's Dusk (Day 78)
Of the Seven Visions of Seven Trials of the Incarnate, I have now fulfilled the Fifth Trial.

HondaCivet posted:

Plus I'd like to see bonds0097 take a swing at an LP.

There aren't any problems with multiple LPs for the same game, even at the same time - especially if they're a different format (video vs. screenshot, for example). There's also no rule on how fast or slow an LP has to be, so even if Quarex only has time for an update once every week or two, it wouldn't even be the slowest LP around.

Quarex: I've done several screenshot LPs of some very long games, including while taking a very heavy course load at college, so if you decide you want to go for it, feel free to PM me any questions, test posts, etc. and I'll try to give you any advice I can. :)

God Of Paradise
Jan 23, 2012
You know, I'd be less worried about my 16 year old daughter dating a successful 40 year old cartoonist than dating a 16 year old loser.

I mean, Jesus, kid, at least date a motherfucker with abortion money and house to have sex at where your mother and I don't have to hear it. Also, if he treats her poorly, boom, that asshole's gonna catch a statch charge.

Please, John K. Date my daughter... Save her from dating smelly dropouts who wanna-be Soundcloud rappers.

bonds0097 posted:

These are some awesome ideas, thanks guys.

I'm not too worried about getting frustrated by the interface. I learned to read thanks to playing King's Quest III when I was 3.

I recommend Einstruzende Neubauten albums.

They are quite simply, the most post apocalpytic sounding band in existence.

Tarquinn
Jul 3, 2007

I know I’ve made some very poor decisions recently, but I can give you
my complete assurance that my work will be back to normal.
Hell Gem

God Of Paradise posted:

I recommend Einstruzende Neubauten albums.

They are quite simply, the most post apocalpytic sounding band in existence.

Einstürzende Neubauten

Makes googling easier.

CrookedB
Jun 27, 2011

Stupid newbee
Einstürzende Neubauten, mmm. Thanks for bringing up that band. They are indeed as post-apoc as it gets.

And the W2 Kickstarter is now at >$1.3 mil!

RagingBoner
Jan 10, 2006

Real Wood Pencil

Quarex posted:

You want a new avatar? Pick one and it's your's: http://www.ailis.de/~k/apps/wlanims/

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009
Just found this interview between GameBanshee and Brian Fargo. Posted last night, didn't see it here yet. It gives some more information about development and what they're shooting for.

quote:

GB: And I have to ask... what are the chances we'll ever see a continuation of the party-based Bard's Tale series many of us fell in love with 25 years ago? If Wasteland 2 is successful, would you ever consider using Kickstarter to fund a return expedition to Skara Brae?

Brian: What do you think? ;)
:q:

communism bitch fucked around with this message at 14:48 on Mar 18, 2012

AgentHaiTo
Feb 7, 2003

Well, isn't this a coincidence? So, um, how you doing? You're busy, I know and I don't want to distract you, please, don't let me interrupt you.

Kharmakazy posted:

Party consisting of republican primary candidates.

I'm stealing your idea for my play thru. It took me a little while to get the attribute scores I wanted.

Jimmy Colorado
Apr 16, 2010

AgentHaiTo posted:

I'm stealing your idea for my play thru. It took me a little while to get the attribute scores I wanted.

I always knew Santorum was an expert with a blade.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Wasteland taught me so much about guns and various ammo types. :allears:

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.

AgentHaiTo posted:

Hmm, not a bad idea...

FlyingCowOfDoom
Aug 1, 2003

let the beat drop

I will, thanks for the link.
edit: finally got rid of stupid newbie after 8 and a half years.

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!

RagingBoner posted:

You want a new avatar? Pick one and it's your's: http://www.ailis.de/~k/apps/wlanims/

Those upscaled antialiased versions are quite nice I have to say! Mmm, new avatar...

a cow
May 6, 2007

friendship is magic
in a pony paradise
don't you judge me
Dropped $15 on this - never heard of Wasteland before, but I can get down for a good old school crpg. I really want to get the boxed version, but I'm having a hard time justifying spending $65 on a game that might not be any good. Have they said anything about how the game will be sold afterwards, just digitally or?

Bloody Wanker
Dec 31, 2008
Just tripped over this on youtube - an interview with Mr Fargo about Wasteland and Fallout: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hp2FsFgd9Uo&feature=related

Also the episodes before and after are about bards tale and the fall of interplay.

AgentHaiTo
Feb 7, 2003

Well, isn't this a coincidence? So, um, how you doing? You're busy, I know and I don't want to distract you, please, don't let me interrupt you.

Jimmy Colorado posted:

I always knew Santorum was an expert with a blade.

Santorum will be my melee expert, strong, agile, lucky but dumb as rocks.

Romney is the all around good at everything and the best shooter.

Gingrich will be the thief of the group and the demo man.

Paul will be the mad scientist, who will get all the high IQ skills.

Just ran thru Highpool and gunned down some kids in the name of the Republican Rangers.

Cousin Todd
Jul 3, 2007
Grimey Drawer

AgentHaiTo posted:

Santorum will be my melee expert, strong, agile, lucky but dumb as rocks.

Romney is the all around good at everything and the best shooter.

Gingrich will be the thief of the group and the demo man.

Paul will be the mad scientist, who will get all the high IQ skills.

Just ran thru Highpool and gunned down some kids in the name of the Republican Rangers.

NOOOOO! The republicans think life begins at erection! You have to have some in character motivation to kill those kids. They must have been secret muslims. They were probably communists...

Masonity
Dec 31, 2007

What, I wonder, does this hidden face of madness reveal of the makers? These K'Chain Che'Malle?

Kharmakazy posted:

NOOOOO! The republicans think life begins at erection! You have to have some in character motivation to kill those kids. They must have been secret muslims. They were probably communists...

Nah it's cool. Pro life ends at birth.

On topic, I managed to be too young for this game, the right age for fallout but was too busy with the baldurs gate and Diablo series and wasn't keen on fallout 3. Still three my 15 in because of other games (bg and planescape) Fargo was involved in. Anticipating a month of delays it'll be a nice 29th birthday present for me when it's released.

bonds0097
Oct 23, 2010

Pillbug
I've decided to go with the Horsemen of the Post-Apocalypse. I'll try to put up the intro video tonight. I actually recorded one last night but due to my newbness with Camtasia Studio managed to lose it in the ether. It was a sad video that included the murder of a boy and his dog... which I can't figure out how to avoid, since I'm not actually trying to kill children.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RedBoot
Jul 12, 2003

The Ass Hand: Evolution's Greatest Triumph

Oberleutnant posted:

Just found this interview between GameBanshee and Brian Fargo. Posted last night, didn't see it here yet. It gives some more information about development and what they're shooting for.

:q:

Oh man...I'm putting $50 into this game because I enjoyed Wasteland, but also because I was hoping it would lead to a new Bard's Tale someday. I would put too much money into a Bard's Tale kickstarter.

• Locked thread