Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DJ Turbo Punch
Feb 3, 2006

WAKE UP

Has anyone ever dealt with really weird or compulsive behavior in dogs? My pug has this problem with constantly licking his lips or the roof of his mouth. By constantly I mean he will do this poo poo for hours if you let him. He's been doing this pretty much ever since I got him a couple of years ago. Most people think it's really cute when they see it but it's been getting on my nerves and I don't think it's healthy behavior.

I checked the roof and inside of his mouth and there doesn't seem to be anything wrong with it. I've tried everything I can think of to get him to stop. I've tried giving him constant exercise to the point where he's dead tired by the end of the day. I've also tried giving him a firm "NO!" when he does it, but he doesn't seem to make the connection between "NO!" and his lip licking, even if I do it consistently. I'm sort of at a loss as to how to deal with this annoying and weird doggie compulsion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kerfuffle
Aug 16, 2007

The sky calls to us~

DJ Turbo Punch posted:

Has anyone ever dealt with really weird or compulsive behavior in dogs? My pug has this problem with constantly licking his lips or the roof of his mouth. By constantly I mean he will do this poo poo for hours if you let him. He's been doing this pretty much ever since I got him a couple of years ago. Most people think it's really cute when they see it but it's been getting on my nerves and I don't think it's healthy behavior.

I checked the roof and inside of his mouth and there doesn't seem to be anything wrong with it. I've tried everything I can think of to get him to stop. I've tried giving him constant exercise to the point where he's dead tired by the end of the day. I've also tried giving him a firm "NO!" when he does it, but he doesn't seem to make the connection between "NO!" and his lip licking, even if I do it consistently. I'm sort of at a loss as to how to deal with this annoying and weird doggie compulsion.

Have you asked your vet about it? Pretty sure licking like that is usually a stress signal. It might just be a quirk, but ruling out a medical issue should be your first step.

uptown
May 16, 2009

drat Bananas posted:

Does anyone here hire a dog walker for the middle of the day?

We hired one for $100/month - $50 on the 15th, and $50 on the last day of the month. It was a budget crunch but we're managing. The girl is 20 years old and we found her on sittercity.com (requires a membership - $35 for one month). She had a little icon that said something like "background check available" so I just assumed she was a good choice.

She's been coming on weekdays at lunch since Feb 27th. Every day she sends me a text saying she's with Roger, or she just saw Roger, or twice she has sent a picture of him at the end of the leash sniffing around.

But this week, things don't seem right. I left her money in an envelope right under the leash on Thursday. Got home, and it was still there. I figured "Well, maybe she wasn't sure that was for her. When in doubt, I wouldn't take money from my employers house either". So I wrote her name on it yesterday. Got home, and it was still there. There was poop upstairs. She did send me texts that she was with him both days. I'm wondering if she's lying about coming every day - after all, there's no way we'd know. But on the other hand, maybe she just let him out into the back yard these couple days and skipped the walk. (We just told her all we want is for him to potty before she leaves)

I don't want to be accusing... but... evidence... How should I address this? Is it normal for dog walkers to have some sort of check-in system? (Was thinking dry-erase board next to the leash, she'd put an X next to each day or something). I don't want to upset the girl whose services I *really* need, don't want to pay for another membership to the website, and she has a key to my house. I didn't expect something like this to happen :/

My employer asks me to clock in every day when I come to work, then clock out when I leave. You are this girl's employer, or at least one of them, so you are well within your rights to ask for proof however you would like. I think the best plan of attack would be the dry-erase board, because if the weather is consistent in your area, she could just take a bunch of pictures in one day and use those as "proof" for a week.

You could also just write her a note that clearly required a reply, something like "Hey, Anne, we are going to be working late on Thursday so we were wondering if you could come in at lunchtime as well as around 6pm?" but this of course only accounts for one day where she may have showed up...

Topoisomerase
Apr 12, 2007

CULTURE OF VICIOUSNESS

uptown posted:

My employer asks me to clock in every day when I come to work, then clock out when I leave. You are this girl's employer, or at least one of them, so you are well within your rights to ask for proof however you would like. I think the best plan of attack would be the dry-erase board, because if the weather is consistent in your area, she could just take a bunch of pictures in one day and use those as "proof" for a week.

I was thinking the same thing. Why would you be hesitant to make her accountable for actually showing up every day? If she's actually coming, putting an X on the dry erase board won't really be much of an inconvenience for her..

Damn Bananas
Jul 1, 2007

You humans bore me

Topoisomerase posted:

I was thinking the same thing. Why would you be hesitant to make her accountable for actually showing up every day? If she's actually coming, putting an X on the dry erase board won't really be much of an inconvenience for her..
I'm not hesitant to make her accountable for showing up, I'm hesitant to sound all "Yeah I don't believe you've actually been coming, at all. You've lost my trust." if she's really been coming all along. It's entirely possible she's just been sitting on the patio while he's doing his thing in the back yard.

Just trying to figure out the least abrasive way to approach it.

e: and filming someone without their knowledge may be legal, but I don't feel ethical doing it. Perhaps a piece of tape across the front door or something, but setting up a webcam is kind of creepy.

CyO
Oct 11, 2007
Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana!
I use a dog walker during the day. I smear some pumpkin on / in puzzle toys in the morning and throw them in the freezer. I've asked the dog walker to please give the dog the toys when she leaves, to help keep him busy during the afternoon until I get home. This a) actually keeps him occupied during the afternoon and b) helps me make sure she's coming. You could say your dog has started barking or being destructive in the afternoons and now he needs a kong / bully stick / whatever when she leaves to occupy him?

Topoisomerase
Apr 12, 2007

CULTURE OF VICIOUSNESS
CyO's idea is actually a really good one if you want to be non-confrontational, but if she hasn't picked up money and the dog poo poo in the house, you have every right to be questioning her and it doesn't do anyone any good to ignore it. She works for you, you pay her.

I do agree that filming is a bit much though.

a life less
Jul 12, 2009

We are healthy only to the extent that our ideas are humane.

Also, I know you said your budget is already stretched really thin, but $100/month for a dog walker to visit every work day is pretty cheap, even for quick visits. This may be one of those "get what you pay for" type situations.

You could try to approach a local dog training school. I know at mine loads of trainers walk dogs during the day. And if you go through them you're probably more likely to find someone with a good reputation in the field.

Damn Bananas
Jul 1, 2007

You humans bore me

a life less posted:

Also, I know you said your budget is already stretched really thin, but $100/month for a dog walker to visit every work day is pretty cheap, even for quick visits. This may be one of those "get what you pay for" type situations.

You could try to approach a local dog training school. I know at mine loads of trainers walk dogs during the day. And if you go through them you're probably more likely to find someone with a good reputation in the field.

Probably so... When I posted the job on that site, I got like 4 applications in 2 days and she seemed best. One was from a lady at training school who said she charged $16/day - in a month that's more than all my utilities and cable combined!

I didn't think about asking her to give him a frozen something-or-other... We already give him a frozen PB Kong in the morning and ask that she give him a Greenie when she leaves - I could just switch those around. Might open the door for "Oh I forgot today"s though. Will probably just go with the dry-erase board. "I forgot"s will happen a lot less if pay depends on the number of Xs on the board.

Bananaquiter
Aug 20, 2008

Ron's not here.

I recently had a stray dog dumped off on me. His veterinary outpatient report says suspect otitis and DTD. I gather otitis is an ear infection, what does DTD stand for?

The trizultra+keto they gave me doesn't seem to be helping, his ears are getting flakier/bumpier.

Dr. Chaco
Mar 30, 2005
Could it be DJD? That would be degenerative joint disease/arthritis. Depends how bad this particular doctor's handwriting is.

Bananaquiter
Aug 20, 2008

Ron's not here.

Chaco posted:

Could it be DJD? That would be degenerative joint disease/arthritis. Depends how bad this particular doctor's handwriting is.

That'd be it. Thanks!

DJ Turbo Punch
Feb 3, 2006

WAKE UP

Kerfuffle posted:

Have you asked your vet about it? Pretty sure licking like that is usually a stress signal. It might just be a quirk, but ruling out a medical issue should be your first step.

I'll be sure to ask next time we go! I'm not really too worried about it because he's in good shape otherwise; it's just really annoying to have to hear it all day.

Silver Nitrate
Oct 17, 2005

WHAT

drat Bananas posted:

How should I address this? Is it normal for dog walkers to have some sort of check-in system? (Was thinking dry-erase board next to the leash, she'd put an X next to each day or something). I don't want to upset the girl whose services I *really* need, don't want to pay for another membership to the website, and she has a key to my house. I didn't expect something like this to happen :/

I had a walker do this to me. I figured it out when one day I left the leash in a weird place on accident and he didn't call/text to ask where it was. The second day, I put a note on top of the leash and it didn't move either. So, I fired his stupid lazy rear end and got one of my neighbor's kids to do it, which worked out great. There's tons of people who can walk a dog out there, so there's no need to have someone you can't rely on. :)

You could just put a note on the leash that says something benign, like, "Dog has upset stomach, no treats please." If the leash gets moved, the note will get moved too.

Kerfuffle
Aug 16, 2007

The sky calls to us~

DJ Turbo Punch posted:

I'll be sure to ask next time we go! I'm not really too worried about it because he's in good shape otherwise; it's just really annoying to have to hear it all day.

You know what I just remembered

another pug has a licking problem

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_lBQWUR3u7U

With their dog at least, he is just a dumb pug.

Damn Bananas
Jul 1, 2007

You humans bore me

Silver Nitrate posted:

I had a walker do this to me. I figured it out when one day I left the leash in a weird place on accident and he didn't call/text to ask where it was. The second day, I put a note on top of the leash and it didn't move either. So, I fired his stupid lazy rear end and got one of my neighbor's kids to do it, which worked out great. There's tons of people who can walk a dog out there, so there's no need to have someone you can't rely on. :)

You could just put a note on the leash that says something benign, like, "Dog has upset stomach, no treats please." If the leash gets moved, the note will get moved too.
Guess I don't need a solution anymore... got a text from her this morning (Day #2 of checking in) saying that she's getting a divorce and can't continue pet sitting. She says she can keep walking Roger until her ex takes her off the bank account (I don't understand - I pay in cash) but I should start looking.

Bummer. Anyone in DFW need an easy but crappily paid job? :/

e: My sittercity.com membership literally expired yesterday. YAY! Ugh.

Damn Bananas fucked around with this message at 14:48 on Mar 20, 2012

Andrias Scheuchzeri
Mar 6, 2010

They're very good and intelligent, these tapa-boys...
How do PI folks feel about cat grass? My rescue group is going to have a table at the farmer's market this summer and there's been some talk of selling cat grass tubs.

I've never been big on giving my cats grass to chew up and then puke, but I guess some cats are into it and it's pretty much harmless, right? As long as they're not eating the tough pointy seed part? Is there a compelling reason not to sell people cat grass? (Besides that it's another thing for me to deal with?)

sierramike76
Mar 27, 2010

Our dog isn't eating as much as he normally does. He is actually eating about half the amount. I checked his teeth and mouth, nothing is broken or bleeding. My husband did just leave last week for a deployment, but Levi has always been fine when he's gone on shorter TDYs. Do you guys think he's just missing his favorite person, or do you think it be something else? I really feel bad for him.

Veruca Salt
Jul 19, 2004

i want to lock it all up in my pocket it's my bar of chocolate
Is it like, not okay to foster for more than one rescue group...? I've been fostering for two rescue groups for a couple years without incident. I currently have a dog in my possession from one of them, and the other one emailed me today and said she may have found a Dane that needs a foster. I said I was currently fostering another dog but that I would always have room for a Dane if she had one. She flipped out and wanted to know who else I was fostering for and then went on a big rant about how the other rescue is always "stealing" fosters from her. And this was all after I said YES I can take the dog, I didn't even say no... did I break some kind of unwritten rule or is this lady crazy?

Kerfuffle
Aug 16, 2007

The sky calls to us~

Veruca Salt posted:

Is it like, not okay to foster for more than one rescue group...? I've been fostering for two rescue groups for a couple years without incident. I currently have a dog in my possession from one of them, and the other one emailed me today and said she may have found a Dane that needs a foster. I said I was currently fostering another dog but that I would always have room for a Dane if she had one. She flipped out and wanted to know who else I was fostering for and then went on a big rant about how the other rescue is always "stealing" fosters from her. And this was all after I said YES I can take the dog, I didn't even say no... did I break some kind of unwritten rule or is this lady crazy?

Sounds like typical neurotic foster/shelter worker talk to me.

Andrias Scheuchzeri
Mar 6, 2010

Veruca Salt posted:

She's crazy. Lots of the people I know who foster animals have done so with more than one group, sometimes simultaneously.

SupahCoolX
Jul 2, 2005

sierramike76 posted:

Our dog isn't eating as much as he normally does. He is actually eating about half the amount. I checked his teeth and mouth, nothing is broken or bleeding. My husband did just leave last week for a deployment, but Levi has always been fine when he's gone on shorter TDYs. Do you guys think he's just missing his favorite person, or do you think it be something else? I really feel bad for him.
Sudden changes in eating habits are often a sign of a medical issue. You should probably take him to the vet to be sure.

6-Ethyl Bearcat
Apr 27, 2008

Go out

Veruca Salt posted:

I've fostered for a couple different ones. The only problem is if you foster for two simultaneously, and something happens between the two dogs, working out who pays the medical bills.

Rodent Mortician
Mar 17, 2009

SQUEAK.
A lot of times it also depends on how well another rescue is perceived and what their practices are. We had a foster who had one of our rabbits take in a rabbit from another rescue (without telling us). They didn't do quarantines on their rabbits because it was never a problem (it's SOP for us). A week later our rabbit is at the e-vet, racks up over 1K in bills from the nasty respiratory poo poo it picked up from their (fresh out of a hoarder situation) rabbit, and then ended up dying. The coordinator was heartbroken, she'd had him fostered at her house for nearly two years before that and he was her favorite. We'd picked him because he was so easygoing.

Long story short, I think it's reasonable to tell the rescue beforehand so they can decide for themselves whether they want to take the financial risk that accompanies having a strange animal live with yours. A professional rescue will either tell you "Oh yeah, XXX rescue is awesome, and we can work with this." or "Just not comfortable with that, but if you want to foster for them because they have a greater need we're totally cool, lemme come pick up Fluffy from you and once your new foster is gone maybe we can set you up with someone else."

m0rrin
Dec 30, 2006

Can someone take a look at this ad for a pit pup and tell me that dog's eye doesn't look infected? I don't know a lot about dogs, but is it normal to keep them in that much filth?

http://www.usedvancouver.com/ReportSelectUsedAdPhoto2?used_ad_id=16750931&position=3&hb=6

I wanted to report it to the SPCA here, but wasn't sure if that dog just looks that way. :ohdear:

snail goat
Dec 12, 2006

you shouldnt doubt yourself
you know more about goats than you give yourself credit for
So... my boyfriend and I found a little kitty while we were out walking our dog tonight. S/he is small, so I think s/he's young, and not wearing a collar and super friendly. I brought him/her home so I can try to find the owner and see if s/he's chipped tomorrow. We live in the middle of a large city. The kitty is in the bathroom now and I don't know if I should try to introduce it to my dog, or just let it be. Also should I feed him/her? What do I do about litter? And I guess my biggest question is: did I do the right thing by bringing her/him home or should I just run kitty out to where I found him/her?

(I'll figure out the sex in a sec so I can knock it off with the confused pronouns.)

Enelrahc
Jun 17, 2007

Waddley Hasselhoff posted:

So... my boyfriend and I found a little kitty while we were out walking our dog tonight. S/he is small, so I think s/he's young, and not wearing a collar and super friendly. I brought him/her home so I can try to find the owner and see if s/he's chipped tomorrow. We live in the middle of a large city. The kitty is in the bathroom now and I don't know if I should try to introduce it to my dog, or just let it be. Also should I feed him/her? What do I do about litter? And I guess my biggest question is: did I do the right thing by bringing her/him home or should I just run kitty out to where I found him/her?

(I'll figure out the sex in a sec so I can knock it off with the confused pronouns.)
Yes, you did the right thing. I'd probably keep it separated from your dog for now. If your dog has some wet food, you can give that to the kitten just for the night. Otherwise, run out and get whatever wet/dry kitten food is at the corner store. For litter, you can tear up some newspaper and put it in a tray of some sort. I usually use a disposable cake pan in times of duress. Give him/her some water and a warm place to sleep and deal with it in the morning! Good luck!

ETA: How little is little? Smaller than a beer can?

snail goat
Dec 12, 2006

No, not that small. I don't think she's a kitten. She could be a small adult or a large kid, I think. I'm not really a cat person and kinda going off what I know about my dad's cats. I tried to giver her a little salmon skin, but she doesn't seem interested.

Thanks for the kitty litter idea, we have a great (if large) pan. I'll make a little bed for her.

I let dog and kitty stare at each other for a minute and they pretty much just did that until the dog got a little barky and kitty just hissed from where she (I'm gonna go with she, but I can't tell, she's fluffy) lay in the bathroom. I'll keep em separated for now.

I'm wondering if this is her but it's hard to tell since I guessed she was young. She has all her front teeth, too, so maybe not? I'll email anyway. http://seattle.craigslist.org/see/laf/2914879975.html

snail goat
Dec 12, 2006

Here is the kitty in question:

InEscape
Nov 10, 2006

stuck.

Waddley Hasselhoff posted:

No, not that small. I don't think she's a kitten. She could be a small adult or a large kid, I think. I'm not really a cat person and kinda going off what I know about my dad's cats. I tried to giver her a little salmon skin, but she doesn't seem interested.

Thanks for the kitty litter idea, we have a great (if large) pan. I'll make a little bed for her.

I let dog and kitty stare at each other for a minute and they pretty much just did that until the dog got a little barky and kitty just hissed from where she (I'm gonna go with she, but I can't tell, she's fluffy) lay in the bathroom. I'll keep em separated for now.

I'm wondering if this is her but it's hard to tell since I guessed she was young. She has all her front teeth, too, so maybe not? I'll email anyway. http://seattle.craigslist.org/see/laf/2914879975.html

Maine Coons are the largest common cat breed, I think. Even a smaller one should be a pretty hefty sized cat.

snail goat
Dec 12, 2006

Yeah, and her feet aren't really hairy, they're just normal hairy.

I'm not sure if I should be worried, she's REALLY mellow. She lets me paw all over her (I even tried to look at her teeth and she just moved her head, didn't bite or hiss at me.) She hasn't tried to eat anything I've given her. Might she be sick? :ohdear:

Enelrahc
Jun 17, 2007

Oh it's super cute. You should keep it if you can't find the owners! Long haired kitties are the best for snuggling! Doesn't really look lovely and shriveled up enough to be a hyperthyroid old man, but you never know and it's hard to tell from pics anyways!

It might just be a bit stressed and not up for eating. Will probably eat once it's alone with the lights out.

InEscape posted:

Maine Coons are the largest common cat breed, I think. Even a smaller one should be a pretty hefty sized cat.

Most people don't actually have Maine Coons. The average Joe thinks every long haired cat is a Maine Coon....so could be!

snail goat
Dec 12, 2006

Ugh, I just noticed the streaks on the wall in the picture. Please don't think I'm a disgusting slob, our apartment is really old and these streaks appear after every shower and I hadn't gotten around to wiping them up today. Yeah, it's pretty gross.

Kitty news: she's chillin on her little bed. That's about it.

Andrias Scheuchzeri
Mar 6, 2010

Eh, my house is grosser, you're fine!

Did you email/hear back from the folks with the missing cat? It's probably not the same cat but they look close enough that I'd want to get in touch.

ladyweapon
Nov 6, 2010

It reads all over his face,
like he's an Italian.

Andrias Scheuchzeri posted:

Eh, my house is grosser, you're fine!

This isnt a thing you want to announce.

Siochain
May 24, 2005

"can they get rid of any humans who are fans of shitheads like Kanye West, 50 Cent, or any other piece of crap "artist" who thinks they're all that?

And also get rid of anyone who has posted retarded shit on the internet."

2508084 posted:

This isnt a thing you want to announce.

gently caress that. I have the grossest house.
Well, I used to. Now I'm not allowed to have a gross house anymore.

snail goat
Dec 12, 2006

Andrias Scheuchzeri posted:

Did you email/hear back from the folks with the missing cat? It's probably not the same cat but they look close enough that I'd want to get in touch.
No, not yet. I wasn't going to, but you're right, I should. I will when I get back from the vet so at the very least I know its sex.

snail goat
Dec 12, 2006

Sorry for the double post (last one, probably)

Good news! Kitty was chipped and the vet got the owner's number and the number of the shelter she was adopted from! I'm really happy she has a home :)

Bad news! Vet kept her so I don't get to return her. Or know her name :( I completely understand, but I wish I could have been involved. Oh well. They said I could leave my number and they would let me know her name or whatever, but I'm not counting on them calling me back.

Here's the only other picture I took. They pretty much just stared at each other until the dog got too excited and tried to leap up and play. (And kitty would hiss and dog would get frightened and skitter back. Rinse/repeat x10.) I'm actually pretty surprised how well she (the dog) did with a kitty visitor. Maybe once we get a bigger place, a cat could be in our future.

Enelrahc
Jun 17, 2007

Hooray for microchips and people who register them correctly! You did a good thing :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

snail goat
Dec 12, 2006

Thanks, and thanks for all your help :D