Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.

ANIME AKBAR posted:

I also definitely did that but Shepard never mentioned Kai Leng and she still died. Must be a bug.

I think it's missing the dossier that gets most people, or doing it out of order. Not saying that's what happened, and a lot of quests are definitely bugged, but...

...well, it's something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

ANIME AKBAR posted:

Yeah I played ME1 and ME2 both twice, but that was worthwhile because both times I had missed a decent amount of stuff on my first playthroughs and went back to do a completionist run. This time I did pretty much everything (except From Ashes), so I'm not sure a second playthrough would really add anything.

Playing as a vanguard or sentinel does seem interesting. Throwing out armies of combat drones and turrets as an engineer was fun sometimes but got kind of dull later on.

And is there any confirmation of any substantial DLC coming soon? Because if so I may wait for that.

The From Ashes companion is worth a new playthrough I'd say.

Urdnot Fire posted:

That it is. Bring him along for every mission, he has plenty to say, especially on Thessia.
Yes, and go talk to him after each mission.

Kurtofan fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Mar 18, 2012

Urdnot Fire
Feb 13, 2012

Kurtofan posted:

The From Ashes companion is worth a new playthrough I'd say.

That it is. Bring him along for every mission, he has plenty to say, especially on Thessia.

ANIME AKBAR
Jan 25, 2007

afu~

Dan Didio posted:

I think it's missing the dossier that gets most people, or doing it out of order. Not saying that's what happened, and a lot of quests are definitely bugged, but...

...well, it's something.

I actually remember stuff the dossier said though... something about him faking his age to join the alliance at 16, then murdering someone for some reason. I definitely read it. And Miranda was definitely loyal, and I gave her the resources.

9-Volt Assault
Jan 27, 2007

Beter twee tetten in de hand dan tien op de vlucht.

ANIME AKBAR posted:

Yeah I played ME1 and ME2 both twice, but that was worthwhile because both times I had missed a decent amount of stuff on my first playthroughs and went back to do a completionist run. This time I did pretty much everything (except From Ashes), so I'm not sure a second playthrough would really add anything.

Playing as a vanguard or sentinel does seem interesting. Throwing out armies of combat drones and turrets as an engineer was fun sometimes but got kind of dull later on.

And is there any confirmation of any substantial DLC coming soon? Because if so I may wait for that.
Im sure a lot of DLC had already been planned. You can bet on there being DLC to take back Omega with/for Aria, and also more DLC for multiplayer.

What will happen now with the whole ending bullshit, who knows.

The Quake
Nov 1, 2006

I hope there's DLC that expands on the battles for Palaven/Thessia/Earth. I felt like yeah you probably had more important things to do than do grunt work on the ground but it would be cool to be in the thick of it.

Urdnot Fire
Feb 13, 2012

The Quake posted:

I hope there's DLC that expands on the battles for Palaven/Thessia/Earth. I felt like yeah you probably had more important things to do than do grunt work on the ground but it would be cool to be in the thick of it.

I would love to play in one of those. Perhaps future DLC/games will indeed expand on those quite a bit.

Sombrerotron
Aug 1, 2004

Release my children! My hat is truly great and mighty.

Charlie Mopps posted:

Im sure a lot of DLC had already been planned. You can bet on there being DLC to take back Omega with/for Aria, and also more DLC for multiplayer.

What will happen now with the whole ending bullshit, who knows.
Yeah, that's a fair bet. I'm a little worried, however, that if they are considering making DLC that changes the ending for the better (unlikely, I know, but hope springs eternal), they might change their mind if whatever other DLC they'll release first fails to sell.

Urdnot Fire
Feb 13, 2012

Sombrerotron posted:

Yeah, that's a fair bet. I'm a little worried, however, that if they are considering making DLC that changes the ending for the better (unlikely, I know, but hope springs eternal), they might change their mind if whatever other DLC they'll release first fails to sell.

We can hope that they release the ending-changing DLC first as damage control.

RickDaedalus
Aug 2, 2009
Origin keeps verifying DLC content (From Ashes specifically) every time the game has to load the main menu. I lost my connection for a bit and I could not load any save that had content from the DLC. Is there any way to get it to not check every time I load the main menu or am I stuck with it? I was under the impression that it only had to verify it once but, apparently that is only for the main game.

oliven
Jan 25, 2006

love all cats
I finished a few days ago but took a while catching up with the thread.

Call me dumb but my main problem with the ending (sillyness aside) was I didn't understand when I chose which one I got. I just saw a big glowy thing in front of me and figured ok, that's where I go and then I'll probably get a popup or something to choose when I get there. I spent most of the cutscene wondering what I had chosen, and it's not like it's very clear until the final bit where the leaves were all circuit board-y.

The small stuff throughout was great though. Mordin's death hit me pretty hard and when I just wanted to go to the Citadel to dick around for a bit after, it hit me with the whole Thane thing and I basically cried like a baby. I know a lot of people didn't think much of Thane but he was one of my favourites in ME2.

Did anyone else catch Garrus probably lost his mum between ME2 and ME3? There was some stuff about it in his dossier in LotSB and now he only ever mentioned his dad and sister, that made me kind of sad anyway.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

The Shadow Broker DLC made a lot of improvements to Liara's arc in the ME2 storyline that was met with fairly widespread criticism when the game was first released, so there's at least some precedence. I don't know how much of LotSB was planned out beforehand, but it feels like at least some changes were made in direct response to the community's wishes.

Sombrerotron
Aug 1, 2004

Urdnot Fire posted:

We can hope that they release the ending-changing DLC first as damage control.
Yes, but the chances of that actually happening are extremely remote I think.

Scuzzywuffit
Feb 5, 2012

HoveringCheesecake posted:

From the last page, but I don't think you understand. The quests were marked as completed after that point and I could not do anything to actually complete them. Unless you were talking about the evidence I missed on the one planet.

Also, everytime I go to that terminal it only shows me 3 Spectre weapons. Am I doing something wrong? Said evidence wouldn't show up there either.

EDIT: Alright this is really going to bug me now that I know about it. You guys are talking about the two terminals in the Spectre office at the Embassies, correct? Which terminal? The one on the left has some stuff that periodically pops up and has a short description and asks me to confirm/deny it. I've done some of those already. The other terminal on the right has the 3 Spectre weapons. Are you telling me that the terminal on the left is supposed to allow me to purchase stuff like the evidence that I missed? Because I went back to that freaking terminal after every mission to see if there was anything new and I never got anything along the lines of "buy this for person x." I'll try it again later today, but I'm starting to think my game is bugged or something.

All right, so I know that this was from awhile back, but since you said it was going to bug you...

Yes, I was talking about the evidence you missed on the one planet. It's the terminal on the right, where you can buy the weapons. I think it's either only for plot missions or only for N7 missions (the ones on the multiplayer maps), and not for the things you can find by scanning planets. If you miss a pickup (things like Cerberus codes, those dog tags, etc) and the quest is still open, you can buy whatever it is for ~1000 credits.

Urdnot Fire
Feb 13, 2012

oliven posted:

The small stuff throughout was great though. Mordin's death hit me pretty hard and when I just wanted to go to the Citadel to dick around for a bit after, it hit me with the whole Thane thing and I basically cried like a baby. I know a lot of people didn't think much of Thane but he was one of my favourites in ME2.

It's okay, he was one of my favorites too. He was a mainstay in my squad in ME2 and was truly my Shepard's bro. Both Thane and Mordin were tough on me, and I even freaked a bit at Grunt's near-death.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Ahaha, there's a poster in the Council Embassies that advertising "colony life!", behind a vending machine, which obscures part of it, which reads "it's not that bad". That's a nice touch.

Grey Fox V2
Nov 14, 2008

Augmented Balls of Titanium!

Ambiguatron posted:

Did your game bug out and make Allers disappear?
Her character model looks like she played Chubby Bunny one too many times. It's super off putting every time I see her.

Dan Didio posted:

To convince The Illusive Man, you need to consistently pick either every Paragon option throughout Mass Effect 3, or every Renegade. One on Mars and one on Thessia are nestled in the left-side, 'investigate' dialogue options.
I used both Paragon and Renegade responses against TIM throughout ME3 and I had both responses available during the finale on the Citadel. I also blew up the Collector's base in ME2 so maybe that was a factor.

oliven
Jan 25, 2006

love all cats

Urdnot Fire posted:

It's okay, he was one of my favorites too. He was a mainstay in my squad in ME2 and was truly my Shepard's bro. Both Thane and Mordin were tough on me, and I even freaked a bit at Grunt's near-death.

Yup, me too. Grunt was always in my squad during my insanity run, so losing him would've sucked. I get too attached to characters :(

CheeseSpawn
Sep 15, 2004
Doctor Rope

ANIME AKBAR posted:

I actually remember stuff the dossier said though... something about him faking his age to join the alliance at 16, then murdering someone for some reason. I definitely read it. And Miranda was definitely loyal, and I gave her the resources.

Was she your LI from ME2 and did you break it off ? If yes, I dont think you can give the dossier to Miranda. Seems like a few other people had this problem. including myself. I can't confirm it because there's no reason to go back through the game.

George Rouncewell
Jul 20, 2007

You think that's illegal? Heh, watch this.
Where the butt is the Volus homeworld? I'm supposed to find a book from there, but there's no such planet as Irune in the galaxy :argh:

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Illegal Username posted:

Where the butt is the Volus homeworld? I'm supposed to find a book from there, but there's no such planet as Irune in the galaxy :argh:

You don't get access to it until the midway point through the game.

evilalien
Jul 29, 2005

Knowledge is born from Curiosity.

Illegal Username posted:

It's in the Aethon Cluster so just wait for it to open up.

ub
Feb 9, 2003

no dont
Pillbug

evilalien posted:

It's in the Aethon Cluster so just wait for it to open up.

Yeah it was a pretty sweet design decision to give you quests before you're able to do them. I loved figuring that out.

Sombrerotron
Aug 1, 2004

RBA Starblade posted:

Ahaha, there's a poster in the Council Embassies that advertising "colony life!", behind a vending machine, which obscures part of it, which reads "it's not that bad". That's a nice touch.
I noticed that too, got a giggle out of me. I like all those little details, or the - sometimes close to fourth-wall-breaking - callbacks, like Shepard calling that one indoctrinated Hanar a big stupid jellyfish, or Jack telling Shepard that everyone knows (s)he can't dance when you invite her up to Purgatory's dance floor.

Urdnot Fire
Feb 13, 2012

Sombrerotron posted:

I noticed that too, got a giggle out of me. I like all those little details, or the - sometimes close to fourth-wall-breaking - callbacks, like Shepard calling that one indoctrinated Hanar a big stupid jellyfish, or Jack telling Shepard that everyone knows (s)he can't dance when you invite her up to Purgatory's dance floor.

Garrus comments on the dancing thing too, and maybe even Joker does too. I love those little in-jokes.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

Holy hell this game's difficulty is a rollercoaster. I didn't get any challenge whatsoever after the Grissom mission, so after a while I moved up from hardcore to insanity, and I still barely had any challenge for the rest of the game.

Then I get to the endgame and the Kai Leng fight was the first pain in the rear end, I won it after a few tries mostly because there seemed to be fewer phantoms/nemesis than usual. Now I'm pretty far into Priority: Earth and it's been great fun, tough but perfectly beatable with good tactics... except now I'm at the point where you get told via radio that your flank is being overrun and you get attacked by a bunch of marauders and two Banshees really close, and it's loving TOUGH. I don't know what the hell those Banshees ate for breakfast but I can't even take down the first one before it gets to my squadmates, and when I revive them there's either a bunch of marauders flanking us or the second Banshee is already in melee range with full barriers still up.

Any tips on this fight? Infiltrator (w/ Energy Drain) with Tali and Ashley as squadmates, so this is the first time I've had trouble with brutes/banshees.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
If it's the fight I'm thinking of I remember hearing something about heavy weapons in the surrounding storefronts.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

Phylodox posted:

If it's the fight I'm thinking of I remember hearing something about heavy weapons in the surrounding storefronts.
There was one, but unfortunately a stupid bug ate it :( I picked it up and dropped it in a more convenient position before the fight began, upon my first death and resume, it was no longer there.

I'd reload, but (a) the last save was TWENTY loving MINUTES AGO (I normally save obsessively, the game had me go twenty minutes of nonstop fighting without a chance to save what-the-gently caress); (b) since I have a Black Widow with piercing mod I've found heavy weapons to rarely be that amazing, most clear example was on Rannoch I lost the 3x Geth Prime fight like three times because I automatically went for the heavy weapons left there; when I decided to stick to my BW I beat it on the first try without much sweat.

HenessyHero
Mar 4, 2008

"I thought we had something, Shepard. Something real."
:qq:

Phylodox posted:

This is correct. Specifically, the building right next to the left flank. I found that out after the fight :mad:.

As far as Tali goes, her drone did nothing to distract Banshees for me so I sicked those guys on the Mauraders. Use grenades liberally and keep the pressure on Banshees, I think their Barriers go up again after a small breather on Insanity, IIRC. There's a road medium way behind the trucks that Banshees have trouble crossing, which also offers cover from Mauraders.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
The storefront also has extra grenades, so yes, liberal sticky grenades helps (and so do Ashley's). Otherwise, remember that cloak lasts a LONG time if you don't break it by firing. Use the time to reposition yourself and line up headshots.

DropsySufferer
Nov 9, 2008

Impractical practicality
How much does the game change if you manage to kill off most of the crew in ME2? In particular removing Mordin, Thane or Legion should make a big difference I'd hope. Yet I have the feeling some stand-in characters would be added so it would make no difference. Another thing, in ME1 it's possible to get Anderson killed if you tell him to go to the docks instead of punching Udina in the face. I bet that was retconned out though.

Urdnot Fire
Feb 13, 2012

DropsySufferer posted:

How much does the game change if you manage to kill off most of the crew in ME2? In particular removing Mordin, Thane or Legion should make a big difference I'd hope. Yet I have the feeling some stand-in characters would be added so it would make no difference. Another thing, in ME1 it's possible to get Anderson killed if you tell him to go to the docks instead of punching Udina in the face. I bet that was retconned out though.

He doesn't get killed, he just gets shot. He's fine by the ending of ME1.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

DropsySufferer posted:

Thane is replaced by Kirrahe, and if he's dead too then you better hope you sabotaged the genophage if you want the salarians' support. Mordin and Legion get off-brand knockoffs who are not without their own unique charm.

skoolmunkee
Jun 27, 2004

Tell your friends we're coming for them

NihilCredo posted:

Any tips on this fight? Infiltrator (w/ Energy Drain) with Tali and Ashley as squadmates, so this is the first time I've had trouble with brutes/banshees.

I think in the end I just left my dead squadmates, cloaked and ran way from wherever the enemies happened to be. I'd kill one or two before I had to run for it again. Repeat til you can push the button. It was very hectic. :]

Ryan-RB
Mar 19, 2006

If we knew the will of God, then we'd all be Gods, wouldn't we?

Urdnot Fire posted:

Me too. When Grunt ordered me to flee the caves while he held off Rachni, I wanted to yell: No. Goddamnit. NOT AGAIN! :(

Synonamess Botch
Jun 5, 2006

dicks are for my cat

NihilCredo posted:

Holy hell this game's difficulty is a rollercoaster. I didn't get any challenge whatsoever after the Grissom mission, so after a while I moved up from hardcore to insanity, and I still barely had any challenge for the rest of the game.

Then I get to the endgame and the Kai Leng fight was the first pain in the rear end, I won it after a few tries mostly because there seemed to be fewer phantoms/nemesis than usual. Now I'm pretty far into Priority: Earth and it's been great fun, tough but perfectly beatable with good tactics... except now I'm at the point where you get told via radio that your flank is being overrun and you get attacked by a bunch of marauders and two Banshees really close, and it's loving TOUGH. I don't know what the hell those Banshees ate for breakfast but I can't even take down the first one before it gets to my squadmates, and when I revive them there's either a bunch of marauders flanking us or the second Banshee is already in melee range with full barriers still up.

Have you had success with these guys against reapers before? Honestly against the reapers I'd have to say that's a pretty weak squad. How are Tali/Ashley specced?

Urdnot Fire
Feb 13, 2012

Ryan-RB posted:

Me too. When Grunt ordered me to flee the caves while he held off Rachni, I wanted to yell: No. Goddamnit. NOT AGAIN! :(

I was freaking out when he started beating the rachni with a rachni leg. I kept waiting for him to be overcome, and then he disappeared over the cliff. But then "Anyone have any food?" :swoon:

reagan
Apr 29, 2008

by Lowtax

ub posted:

Yeah it was a pretty sweet design decision to give you quests before you're able to do them. I loved figuring that out.

This poo poo. This poo poo is just one of the many awful things. Also, everyone is craning their necks in horrible directions. That happened a few times in ME2 but it is way more prevalent here. Getting the backwards/pure white eye movement too. AAA title right here guys!

Also, thanks for answering my question. Weird that nothing will show up at that particular terminal. I ended up reloading the save and redoing the missions. Really glad they made those dogtags on that evidence mission so easy to find!

Tezzeract
Dec 25, 2007

Think I took a wrong turn...

3Romeo posted:

What bothers me is that the whole thing is fundamentally flawed, and it's representative of the worst of the game--where poo poo happens just because it's "cool" or "different" or, god forbid, meant to spark lots of speculation. Like Kai Lang and the ending itself, it's poo poo from outside the Mass Effect games shoehorned into the Mass Effect games. It comes off like every other self-referential event in every game ever: it takes you out of the story and makes you question the writers.

This poo poo works in literature but it doesn't work well in games because too often games are flawed in accidental ways and so we can't ever be sure if it's intended or not (see: the model in the kid's hand at the beginning of the game).

It's somehow worse than the trickle of pop culture references that became a raging torrent and ruined warcraft.

It's not like cyborg ninjas is an original idea - it's been a cyberpunk thing for a while.

The Mass Effect series is basically a huge sci-fi pop culture mash-up. Summoning threshermaw using thumpers is reminiscent of sandworms from Dune. Using a flamethrower to burn alien eggs and meet up with the Rachni was just like the end of Aliens. TIM could be the smoking man from X-Files and the death scene when he says "I wish you can see it like I do Shepard" is reminiscent of Blade Runner. The entire Crucible scene was basically from 2001: A Space Odyssey. The list goes on and on.

Originality is overrated anyway. The Dresden Files author says that writing well is about execution, not how good an idea is. As part of a bet, he took ideas directly Pokemon and the Lost Roman Legions and still managed to write a respectable series.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.

r1ngwthszzors posted:

As part of a bet, he took ideas directly Pokemon and the Lost Roman Legions and still managed to write a respectable series.

This sounds interesting. What's it called?

• Locked thread