Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Erwin Tuwonwon
Oct 30, 2011

Gutcruncher posted:

Arino should really play Metal Wolf Chaos. Its the best US President Simulator of all time.

If Arino plays ANY modern game, it has to be this one. I have this image of Arino shouting out every line the president says. RIIIIIIIIIIIICHAAAAAARD! WEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jimmy Colorado
Apr 16, 2010
It's an xbox exclusive, so I wonder if you could get it to work with that giant gently caress-off Steel Battalion controller.

NBHS
Mar 2, 2012

"I'm here for you. To make children smile, to make profits rise, I am the subservient of the network.

"... did we get all that on tape?"
I realize it'd probably be licensing hell, but I've always wanted to see Arino take on some of those awesome Disney/Capcom games. Especially if it's some kind of "USA Exclusive" challenge.

Hell, go into full torture mode and make him play TaleSpin.

rdbbb
Jul 26, 2011

Jimmy Colorado posted:

It's an xbox exclusive, so I wonder if you could get it to work with that giant gently caress-off Steel Battalion controller.

Nah, it's a pretty straightforward action game.

zari-gani
Sep 6, 2004

How much do you want it? ;-*
My boyfriend and I came across Arino's favourite (?) Game & Watch, "Helmet." It was only $50! We couldn't leave it alone so we added it to our collection of GCCX-related games. It's surprisingly fun to play and makes for cool decoration, too.

joek0
Oct 13, 2011

zari-gani posted:

My boyfriend and I came across Arino's favourite (?) Game & Watch, "Helmet." It was only $50! We couldn't leave it alone so we added it to our collection of GCCX-related games. It's surprisingly fun to play and makes for cool decoration, too.

I am a huge fan of the game & watch games. My favorite which did not make it to the G&W segment is Donkey Kong Jr.

I just started playing the PC port of Ninja Spirit which ports the arcade version. Unlike the PC Engine version which Arino plays, the Arcade version is much harder. I get 1 hit instead of 5 per life. Hope to beat the game soon. Got to the end of stage 2.

joek0 fucked around with this message at 01:47 on Mar 18, 2012

Snackmar
Feb 23, 2005

I'M PROGRAMMED TO LOVE THIS CHOCOLATY CAKE... MY CIRCUITS LIGHT UP FOR THAT FUDGY ICING.

zari-gani posted:

Speaking of Game & Watch, does anyone here have one of the colour "panorama" G&W titles? I didn't even know that they existed until whichever episode it was that showed some:

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

When I was growing up a friend had the Popeye panorama, along with a flip open Zelda one. I bought Zelda off him and played the hell out of it but it got trashed at some point.

I actually picked up Donkey Kong Jr. from the DSiWare shop on my 3DS not long ago. It's fun but I wish they had put more of them up.

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

techknight posted:

Speaking of Game & Watch, does anyone here have one of the colour "panorama" G&W titles?

I have Donkey Kong Jr.

Inferior Third Season
Jan 15, 2005

techknight posted:

Speaking of Game & Watch, does anyone here have one of the colour "panorama" G&W titles? I didn't even know that they existed until whichever episode it was that showed some:
Unless it's shown more than once, it is in the episode where Arino comes back from the hospital (the short SMB and Dr. Mario challenge).

That episode also has a segment at the end where they are sitting around picking out the next game to do. Director Fujimoto personally recommended Deadly Towers, but Nakayama vetoed it because it had "no sense of thrill". Now, there are lots of things wrong with that game that I can understand Nakayama wanting to veto it, seeing as he'd be responsible for getting to the end scene (the player constantly gets "trapped in a pattern" or gets knocked off a ledge by enemy attacks, which makes any hit a potential game over; invisible dungeon entrances; power-ups necessary to advance are hidden in places that are nearly impossible to stumble upon; only one sword can be on screen at a time, making the player incredibly weak until more than halfway through the game; etc.). For someone playing this game, these flaws are infuriating. For viewers of Game Center CX, this could easily have been the best episode ever.

drat you, Nakayama! :argh:

zari-gani
Sep 6, 2004

I think Random Stranger said something about Nakayama not making the greatest game picks...

Uznare
Jul 15, 2010

It's not animation, but the real stories!

zari-gani posted:

I think Random Stranger said something about Nakayama not making the greatest game picks...

If it was up to him entirely we'd probably have episodes dedicated to Art of Fighting, KoF '94, World Heroes, Samurai Shodown, Last Blade and whatnot. This is both good and really bad.

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

Uznare posted:

If it was up to him entirely we'd probably have episodes dedicated to Art of Fighting, KoF '94, World Heroes, Samurai Shodown, Last Blade and whatnot. This is both good and really bad.

I wish they'd do a Metal Slug challenge. It makes so much sense given its history with the show.

Joctan
Sep 2, 2011

techknight posted:

I have Mario´s bombs away...

... and this is the rest of my Game and watch collection. :)

pnumoman
Sep 26, 2008

I never get the last word, and it makes me very sad.
Heh, the first thing I thought when I saw those pics of your Game and Watch collection is, "It belongs in a museum!"

Fawf
Nov 5, 2009

It's Me, It's Me, It's DDD

zari-gani posted:

Say what you will but the fewer people who know about Deadly Towers the better.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

zari-gani posted:

He did apologize twice for his game selection on the show (Legacy of the Wizard, Fatal Fury Special).

Mister Chief posted:

I wish they'd do a Metal Slug challenge. It makes so much sense given its history with the show.

I'd like to see Arino play a full game of Metal Slug myself but that's probably better suited for some kind segment than an actual challenge. Since all of the ports offer unlimited continues and completing it without continuing is ludicrous it just wouldn't fit a challenge well.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

I'm glad he picked Legacy of the Wizard at least though, because I really liked the music v:shobon:v

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Ledneh posted:

I'm glad he picked Legacy of the Wizard at least though, because I really liked the music v:shobon:v

Oh yeah, that guy is a fuckin' genius. I can never remember his name, though, the syllables just aren't as striking or phonetically weird as Ryuji Sasai, I guess. Still, I love the guy's music. He has that pop groove down. Hell, the man made popsome classical music for Actraiser, but I suppose that's a bit more Star Warsey classical music above anything else.

JamMasterJim
Mar 27, 2010
While I would appreciate Arino struggling at fighting games while he is getting a healthy dose of KOKO DESU KA or Guile walking forward and doing Flashkicks, the beatdowns can get even more repetitive than quest of Ki

Kerfuffle
Aug 16, 2007

The sky calls to us~
More quiz and puzzle games. :h:

Also dating sims, those episodes probably made me laugh the hardest.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

JamMasterJim posted:

While I would appreciate Arino struggling at fighting games while he is getting a healthy dose of KOKO DESU KA or Guile walking forward and doing Flashkicks, the beatdowns can get even more repetitive than quest of Ki

Fortunately for Ki,

was confined entirely to the live episode. And I think Ki was a great game for the series both as a tricky platformer with puzzle elements and a somewhat obscure game.

Ki is also pretty neat to play though the fact that you can easily warp through the first sixty stages wasn't a good design decision.

Davzz
Jul 31, 2008

Kerfuffle posted:

Also dating sims, those episodes probably made me laugh the hardest.

Sadly, I don't think they did any more after Tokimeki.

Speaking of that, I find the more interesting episodes to be the ones where Arino uses his brain rather than his reflexes (Mega man sort of counts because using weapons optimally is a good part of the game). It's just more interesting to see him go "I got a plan" and execute it rather than "After 30 tries I finally got the muscle memory to beat the boss's pattern"

The second kind that I like is those that sort of allow him to interact with the game simulation wise despite the fact that technically they are just pre-written bits of code and graphics. Something like Actraiser's village raising part or Tokimeki Memorial. I thought a train simulator would be boring to watch but the way Arino interacts with the game just cracks me up.

pnumoman
Sep 26, 2008

I never get the last word, and it makes me very sad.

Davzz posted:

The second kind that I like is those that sort of allow him to interact with the game simulation wise despite the fact that technically they are just pre-written bits of code and graphics. Something like Actraiser's village raising part or Tokimeki Memorial. I thought a train simulator would be boring to watch but the way Arino interacts with the game just cracks me up.

One of my all time favorite moments on the show is when the staff starts getting exasperated at Arino because he won't stop playing the sim part of Actraiser.

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Much like with everything else in life, the Euros seem to have more sense on how to do things in a fun atmosphere without sucking the soul out of the event.

Random Stranger posted:

Fortunately for Ki,

was confined entirely to the live episode. And I think Ki was a great game for the series both as a tricky platformer with puzzle elements and a somewhat obscure game.

Ki is also pretty neat to play though the fact that you can easily warp through the first sixty stages wasn't a good design decision.

I think it was a good idea given that they clearly designed the game in two halves and pretty much said "here's the first 60, use this for practice because the last 40 are hell". As someone who played through and completed the game, it would have been very punishing to essentially double the number of stages you had to play through. 50ish stages was just right for that game.

Drzava
Feb 13, 2012
Agree. There are a couple of soul damaging stages but all in all it was really fun to beat.

zari-gani
Sep 6, 2004

I still want to see him play Ecco the Dolphin. Can't Kibe force the challenge on him? Imagine the photoshopped Arino-head bumper image for that.

zari-gani fucked around with this message at 00:22 on Mar 19, 2012

NBHS
Mar 2, 2012

"I'm here for you. To make children smile, to make profits rise, I am the subservient of the network.

"... did we get all that on tape?"

zari-gani posted:

I still want to see him play Ecco the Dolphin. Can't Kibe force the challenge on him? Imagine the photoshopped Arino-head bumper image for that.

I realize it'd be terribly boring as a challenge, but now I kinda want to see Arino-head Q-Bert.

*#@$!, indeed.

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

zari-gani posted:

You should send them some sort of horrifying Arino-Dolphin hybrid fan art as encouragement.

Silentman0
Jul 11, 2005

I have a new neighbor. Heard he comes from far away

zari-gani posted:

"A dolphin fighting against Giger aliens while traveling through time? Man, western games are so weird!"

Bocc Kob
Oct 26, 2010
What? Seriously? I've never played Ecco the Dolphin. :stare:

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Bocc Kob posted:

What? Seriously? I've never played Ecco the Dolphin. :stare:

That entire series is just plain nuts. Especially the Dreamcast/PS2 game, Defender of The Future. They got David Brin (who had written sci-fi about dolphins before) to script it, and it was time-travel all over the place. Just to top it off, they got Tom Baker - the trippiest of all the Dr Who's - to narrate it.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!

Fawf posted:

Say what you will but the fewer people who know about Deadly Towers the better.

"Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it." And then we'd get a Deadly Towers remake that would be terrible as well. Although I'd rather play Deadly Towers than Rise of the Robots any day.

rdbbb
Jul 26, 2011

I hate the Ecco games, but I agree they'd be great on the show.

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Why, yes, I do like Kirby games.
The Sega CD versions of the first two Ecco games had an awesome soundtrack by Spencer Nilsen. They were also a lot of fun, at least most of the time (the forced-scroll stages were... unpleasant. 'Welcome to the Machine', I'm looking at you.) I agree that they'd make good episodes, though.

Kaitouace
Sep 9, 2011
I was thrilled to find out they did Legacy of the Wizard. I rented that game ages ago and had NO idea what was going on in it. It was satisfying to see Arino go through it just to fulfill my curiosity about the game after all this time.

zari-gani
Sep 6, 2004

Ecco the Dolphin is mercilessly difficult (seriously, the entire game is one long underwater level and he still has to take breaths of air or else he dies?) and has some puzzle elements. I can picture Arino freaking out over the dinosaurs and aliens. "But I'm just a dolphin!"

Here's a playthrough of the whole thing for those who haven't seen it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=It_eOIPgCdE

Kerfuffle
Aug 16, 2007

The sky calls to us~

zari-gani posted:

Ecco the Dolphin is mercilessly difficult (seriously, the entire game is one long underwater level and he still has to take breaths of air or else he dies?) and has some puzzle elements. I can picture Arino freaking out over the dinosaurs and aliens. "But I'm just a dolphin!"

Here's a playthrough of the whole thing for those who haven't seen it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=It_eOIPgCdE

Well at least it gets points for accuracy. :shobon:

I've never played the game, but watching the long play, it's kind of creepy.

Looking at the related vids, Arino needs to play power rangers.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Kaitouace posted:

I was thrilled to find out they did Legacy of the Wizard. I rented that game ages ago and had NO idea what was going on in it. It was satisfying to see Arino go through it just to fulfill my curiosity about the game after all this time.

Honestly I kind of want to play it a little for myself just to see if it's as... obtuse as it seems from the episode.

That and like I said I dig the music :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!

Kerfuffle posted:

Well at least it gets points for accuracy. :shobon:

I've never played the game, but watching the long play, it's kind of creepy.

Looking at the related vids, Arino needs to play power rangers.

Ecco is literally one of the most atmospheric and creepy game series' Ive ever played. It was a game about dolphins in the 90s, the height of our Dolphin Love phase. Clearly this game is gonna be happy light hearted fun times about how great dolphins are.

HAHA NOPE!

Also anyone who hasnt played it on Sega CD should really give it a try. The soundtrack really helps the atmosphere.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D56v2jyiU7Y

Edit: Frustrated by Welcome to the Machine before? Imagine doing it when you are constantly ending up offscreen!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oraECJKJqR0

Gutcruncher fucked around with this message at 05:48 on Mar 19, 2012