Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Salami Surgeon
Jan 21, 2001

Don't close. Don't close.

Nap Ghost

mod sassinator posted:

Yeah the wheel lock style is a cylinder shaft with half cylinders bumping out a few sides in random places. (external spline seems to be the term) I think I could hammer on a socket and see what happens.

Careful, it's easy to scratch the paint

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Loan Dusty Road
Feb 27, 2007
Any suggestions on an ODBii scanner to use with my iPhone? Are there any bluetooth ones that work now, or is it all still wifi ones? Most of the info I found searching the internet was on forums from around 2009 and haven't found much if things have changed. I'd rather not spend $150 just on the scanner, like this one.

http://www.plxkiwi.com/kiwiwifi/hardware.html

And these are all around $250. http://www.devtoaster.com/products/rev/

Also, what iPhone apps do you recommend? Rev seems like a big one out there, but does it actually do everything it says? I'm mostly interested in diagnostic type stuff rather than performance monitoring, though both would be great and I'm sure in many instances related.

Loan Dusty Road fucked around with this message at 09:19 on Feb 23, 2012

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you
I picked up the HF brake caliper kit yesterday since it's only 39 bucks right now. Hell of a deal and it worked well too

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
Picked up a Dewalt Cordless Li-ion impact a few days back, it works amazingly well and ripped off a Honda crank bolt and a Nissan Crank bolt without much issue. Just a bit of heat first. I'm very happy with it.

camino
Feb 23, 2006

Hashal posted:

Any suggestions on an ODBii scanner to use with my iPhone? Are there any bluetooth ones that work now, or is it all still wifi ones? Most of the info I found searching the internet was on forums from around 2009 and haven't found much if things have changed. I'd rather not spend $150 just on the scanner, like this one.

Also, what iPhone apps do you recommend? Rev seems like a big one out there, but does it actually do everything it says? I'm mostly interested in diagnostic type stuff rather than performance monitoring, though both would be great and I'm sure in many instances related.

I bought the iPhone scanner from Innovate, and it was an utter piece of poo poo.

Eventually after weighing the options, I bought a lovely Android phone and Bluetooth adapter from eBay. Total cost was $60, and it runs Torque flawlessly.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

Hashal posted:

iOS devices have very limited Bluetooth capabilities. No serial over bluetooth means no cheap OBDII adapters because you're stuck using the few wifi ones available.That's one case where Android wins.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!
I need to cut several tires in quarters for a project. What's the best tool for it? I'll need to go through belts. I'm thinking Wiss aviation shears. Sawzall's not easily available but if it's perfect I know where I can get one.

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003
A grinder with cutoff wheel and a VERY open area.

EDIT:\/\/\/ Yeah, the smell and fumes are going to be awful.

Sockington fucked around with this message at 17:07 on Feb 28, 2012

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

Sockington posted:

A grinder with cutoff wheel and a VERY open area.

And a respirator.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
Heh, looking to make a bit less of a mess; don't care if it takes a little longer.

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003
Unless you stiffen up the tire, you're going to be fighting with the tire flexing as you cut with a traditional saw-type device.

I figured the grinder would work a touch better as it's burning through the rubber and steel bands at the same time without shaking/sawing them too much. Give you a nicer melted edge on the tire vs. jagged wires hanging out.

Or get a big gently caress-off bandsaw and have at it.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
steel or nylon belts?

nylon: get a decent utility knife and have at it. Cut the steel wire in the beads with a large pair of dikes (that you don't really care about, that poo poo is super tough and will dent or chip the blades.)

steel: you are in for a party. I'd use a sawzall, shears are going to take quite a while and the wire in the beads will tear them up pretty bad.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007

Sockington posted:

Unless you stiffen up the tire, you're going to be fighting with the tire flexing as you cut with a traditional saw-type device.

I figured the grinder would work a touch better as it's burning through the rubber and steel bands at the same time without shaking/sawing them too much. Give you a nicer melted edge on the tire vs. jagged wires hanging out.

Or get a big gently caress-off bandsaw and have at it.

I have helping hands available so I figured someone would be pulling on each side. The melted edge is tempting but I really don't have the space for the mess. These won't have people contacting them after it's built.

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

Splizwarf posted:

I have helping hands available so I figured someone would be pulling on each side. The melted edge is tempting but I really don't have the space for the mess. These won't have people contacting them after it's built.

You could get a cordless grinder and go to an empty parking lot on a Sunday morning... :ssh:

Colonel K
Jun 29, 2009
Last time I had to cut some tyre rubber I used a 9" grinder, it worked pretty well, was quite messy but not ridiculous.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
Had a think about this over lunch and I don't need to cut the bead wire, I can just cut the sidewall above the bead all the way around and drop it off. :3: I need the rubber, not the metal.

Loan Dusty Road
Feb 27, 2007

eddiewalker posted:

iOS devices have very limited Bluetooth capabilities. No serial over bluetooth means no cheap OBDII adapters because you're stuck using the few wifi ones available.That's one case where Android wins.

I was able to find a wifi OBDII at a reasonable price and ordered this.

Neewer WiFi WLAN Wireless OBD OBD2 Diagnostic Interface For PC for $68.

The iPhone app I'm look at is called Rev and is $40. I have the free version currently, and will make sure it works with the adapter before purchasing the full version, though the Amazon reviews mentioned people using the adapter successfully with Rev.

http://www.devtoaster.com/products/rev/

The adapter should be showing up Friday, so I'll post a trip report for anyone else that is interested.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

Hashal posted:

I was able to find a wifi OBDII at a reasonable price and ordered this.

Neewer WiFi WLAN Wireless OBD OBD2 Diagnostic Interface For PC for $68.

The iPhone app I'm look at is called Rev and is $40. I have the free version currently, and will make sure it works with the adapter before purchasing the full version, though the Amazon reviews mentioned people using the adapter successfully with Rev.

http://www.devtoaster.com/products/rev/

The adapter should be showing up Friday, so I'll post a trip report for anyone else that is interested.

Jesus, you could buy an Android phone and BT adapter+Torque for less than that package.

Loan Dusty Road
Feb 27, 2007

sharkytm posted:

Jesus, you could buy an Android phone and BT adapter+Torque for less than that package.

This was already talked about on this same page. The only real price difference is the cost of the app, and there are tons of different ones for the iphone. Rev is just the most popular, but I'll be looking at other ones.

The wifi also works on pretty much any device that has wifi, including android devices, laptops, and even a PSP. I'll pay a few extra bucks for that alone.

Suniikaa
Jul 4, 2004

Johnny Walker Wisdom
If your iphone is jailbroken, there are bluetooth drivers on cydia that allow it to work with bluetooth obd2 readers with some obd2 software.

Loan Dusty Road
Feb 27, 2007
Actually, I had dismissed my Kindle Fire earlier since it doesn't have bluetooth, but I can use Torque over wifi on it.

hunter x az
Oct 28, 2003
Any real reason to buy an air impact wrench and compressor if you don't have a habit of taking wheels off cars frequently?

Lord Gaga
May 9, 2010

hunter x az posted:

Any real reason to buy an air impact wrench and compressor if you don't have a habit of taking wheels off cars frequently?

Theyre really good for removing frame and suspension components. Air impacts get into spaces electric impacts can't.

kmcormick9
Feb 2, 2004
Magenta Alert
They take up a lot of space but having the compressor opens a lot of doors. Air your tires up, run an impact, nailgun, paint

Colonel K
Jun 29, 2009
Air tools tend to be a bit lighter too. Air drills can be really nice to use if you've got a lot to do. I've got a new compressor hopefully being delivered next week to feed my air respirator and hopefully it'll have enough puff to run a sandblaster.

The air impact is a tool I never really thought I needed, until I got one. They just make some jobs that would be a bit of a pain very simple. Especially under the vehicle in tricky spots.

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003
Sometimes a man just has things to divide.

blindjoe
Jan 10, 2001
I hope you are going to use all those to weld together and make some sort of super compass.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Anybody have any first hand use with this? Living in an apartment makes air or electric tools impossible.

HF cordless 18V 1/2" impact, 211 Ft-lbs rated

http://www.harborfreight.com/18-volt-12-cordless-impact-wrench-67845.html

Edit: ended up buying it. Will report back.

Edit 2: strong enough to take off my lug nuts (6 per wheel, 100 ft-lbs) and start them back on before final torquing. Did all 4 wheels and put them back on and it was fine on a single charge, seemed like it had plenty left in it as well.

Suburban Dad fucked around with this message at 00:40 on Mar 13, 2012

porkfriedrice
May 23, 2010
I purchased this impact wrench to help with some repairs I'll be doing soon:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0002SRM3I/ref=oh_o02_s00_i00_details

I'm new to air tools, and the instructions that came with the wrench aren't very helpful. Googling is somewhat helpful, but I'd trust the people that have experience here more. So here are a couple questions that I had before I start using the thing.

What do I set the compressor's air regulator to? (Can't believe the instructions didn't even have this)

As far as oil, how much does the wrench need before I use it? A few drops?

The instructions say to use an in line air filter, is this really necessary?

How about the power settings? Would setting it to five break bolts or something?

They really need to have better instructions included. Thank you.

Lord Gaga
May 9, 2010

porkfriedrice posted:

I purchased this impact wrench to help with some repairs I'll be doing soon:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0002SRM3I/ref=oh_o02_s00_i00_details

I'm new to air tools, and the instructions that came with the wrench aren't very helpful. Googling is somewhat helpful, but I'd trust the people that have experience here more. So here are a couple questions that I had before I start using the thing.

1- What do I set the compressor's air regulator to? (Can't believe the instructions didn't even have this)

2- As far as oil, how much does the wrench need before I use it? A few drops?

3- The instructions say to use an in line air filter, is this really necessary?

4- How about the power settings? Would setting it to five break bolts or something?

They really need to have better instructions included. Thank you.

1- Usually when they give air ratings it'll be x.x CFM at YY psi. In any event 80psi is a good place to start.

2- Yes a few drops.

3- Yes and no. You should have an air dryer in the line. If you're in Florida like me you can have TONs of water in your lines. Our compressor was near a drainage ditch behind the building at the old machine ship and you could straight up freeze your hand in the middle of summer there was so much moisture blowing through it.

4- Probably not break bolts. It is definitely possible to cross thread an aluminum casting on removal, but not that common. Threading stuff back IN however it is downright easy with a good impact. Check out harbor freights torque limiting sticks. Out of the 4 settings on my impact, I only use 1 and 4.

Also consider hearing protection. Ear muffs are cheap, your hearing is not. 99dB regularly can cause hearing problems.

porkfriedrice
May 23, 2010

Lord Gaga posted:

1- Usually when they give air ratings it'll be x.x CFM at YY psi. In any event 80psi is a good place to start.

2- Yes a few drops.

3- Yes and no. You should have an air dryer in the line. If you're in Florida like me you can have TONs of water in your lines. Our compressor was near a drainage ditch behind the building at the old machine ship and you could straight up freeze your hand in the middle of summer there was so much moisture blowing through it.

4- Probably not break bolts. It is definitely possible to cross thread an aluminum casting on removal, but not that common. Threading stuff back IN however it is downright easy with a good impact. Check out harbor freights torque limiting sticks. Out of the 4 settings on my impact, I only use 1 and 4.

Also consider hearing protection. Ear muffs are cheap, your hearing is not. 99dB regularly can cause hearing problems.

Hey thanks a lot, that really helps.

Lowclock
Oct 26, 2005
So someone please tell me why I don't have these baller devices in my fuckin' toolbox already?

Super access flexy ratchet thing, and cranky speed wrench ratchet combo guy.

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW
:circlefap::circlefap::circlefap:

Lowclock posted:

So someone please tell me why I don't have these baller devices in my fuckin' toolbox already?

Super access flexy ratchet thing,
It's near impossible to get any torque whatsoever out of something like that without the linkages flopping all over the place and the socket twisting off the nut. Don't waste your money. If you have a job that you absolutely can't get any other way, get wobble extensions or something like this instead. You'll find any universal joints difficult to use in practice, though.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
I have that HF 3-piece set. A tip: wrap the u-joint in tape to limit it's floppiness.

PitViper
May 25, 2003

Welcome and thank you for shopping at Wal-Mart!
I love you!
is the HF 3/4" breaker bar any good? I snapped my Craftsman 1/2", and while I'm getting it replaced, I think I should step up to a 3/4" drive and sockets for axle nuts. I normally have a 4' cheater pipe for stubborn stuff, which is how the 1/2" met its demise.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007

I had one of these for a good long time and it was loving great. Just keep in mind that the crank handle part can't take a lot of torque, you want to use the stiff handle to break a bolt free and then spin it out with the crank. It's an amazing tool if you're trying to move a lot of bolts in a place an impact won't fit and you don't have much of a wrench arc (ie most of them).

I should get another. Broke mine by putting a shitload of grunt on the crank like a retard. Luckily it's also pretty cheap! Thanks for reminding me about them.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal
Have you guys seen the Tite-Reach extension wrench?

I assume it's just a bunch of gears inside, but holy poo poo the applications, especially if you can use gearing to increase the torque at the end. I want several.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
Or perhaps a chain?

Lyesh
Apr 9, 2003

CornHolio posted:

Have you guys seen the Tite-Reach extension wrench?

I assume it's just a bunch of gears inside, but holy poo poo the applications, especially if you can use gearing to increase the torque at the end. I want several.

Way to be a huge marketing tool dude.

(I just bought one)

Edit: aww dammit, I am DEFINITELY using a impact wrench on this thing. There goes $50 instead of $15 :ohdear:

Lyesh fucked around with this message at 16:56 on Mar 19, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
wow, if that holds up like they claim it will, it is awesome and I wish I had one.