Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AndyAML
Jul 24, 2006

HEY BASS WHY MUST I FIGHT YOU WE ARE NOT ENEMIES

the real blah posted:

There was this adventure game from the mid 90s that I found on a mail-order shareware CD from a company called Software USA.

I remember some of the puzzles, but I never ended up finishing it. You started off on a bus going to visit your eccentric uncle/grandfather/something like that. When you get to his house you found some device (a cane?) that allowed you to travel to different dimensions using 4 digit codes. The first place was some fascist state and you had to solve a puzzle in the newspaper to get the prize money to buy another dimensional travel device that was confiscated by the government. At that point you went from dimension to dimension picking up item after item trying to find your uncle or whatever. It was a pretty simple solve puzzle -> get item -> use item to progress to next puzzle -> repeat kind of thing.

There was a pyramid you had to climb by solving riddles, a spider-web bridge that required special shoes to cross, a science museum where you had to solve science themed puzzles, and a monastery themed maze with a ghostly monk following you, trapping you in a corner of the maze, forcing you to reload the dimension to try again.

I think the maze is where I quit, but it bothers me that my younger self never finished it.

Like I said, it was on a shovelware CD from "Software USA." Apparently they released tons of these CDs, and I'm surprised my attempts to find a :spergin: wiki dedicated to list every title ever showcased have come up empty.
This is Uncle Julius and the Anywhere Machine, promising hours of absorbing play for ages 8-104! I remember playing through the demo version of this a long time ago, and was also wondering about the name.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the real blah
Oct 31, 2010

AndyAML posted:

This is Uncle Julius and the Anywhere Machine, promising hours of absorbing play for ages 8-104! I remember playing through the demo version of this a long time ago, and was also wondering about the name.

That's it! Thanks!

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Nut Bunnies posted:

There was this PC game I played as a kid that I cannot for the life of me remember the name of. The main character was a kid with a striped shirt and he had a blue dog. You were looking for this stink beetle & had this rival that was also looking for it. You went through rural areas. It had a really unique art style, too. Ahhh this is killing me!

Holy poo poo no joke I came in here to ask about this exact same game, too. Somewhere in the mid 90s, probably the coolest PC game little kid me got to play. Now that I'm older, I can recognize it as definitely some kind of point-and-click adventure game, and the bug had some crazy weird name, but I can't remember anything else useful :(

Choray
Oct 31, 2009

I've got two that have been bugging me.

The first is a PSX game my brother borrowed at some point. All I'm pretty sure about is that you played as some sort of tank and the levels consisted of various islands. You picked a "team" to play as and then you battled the other teams on their respective levels.

The second is much older, I remember we had it on a floppy. You picked one of three rats named Darwin, Newton and Einstein, I think, and navigated labyrinthine levels in a sort of pod. There was a weapon called the Hellfire Blaster that I always wanted to try but I'm not sure if I ever got that far, I was kinda bad at it at the time. The name on the floppy was in Norwegian, 'Romkrigsrottene', literally 'Space War Rats', but searching for that or anything related has been fruitless. Any ideas?

Sad lions
Sep 3, 2008

Here's one that stumps me...

Way back when I had an NES I got an action platformer that was set in a futuristic utopia where the big computer had gone haywire or something and turned the place to chaos. If I recall correctly you could select stages freely much like Megaman and one had wind turbines in the background while another was set on/around a space shuttle/rocket launch site. The main character looked kind of like Duke Nukem (maybe, he definitely wore shades in the box art) and I think a boomerang was either his main weapon or a common pickup.
I doubt it was particularly popular since I've not seen hide nor hair of it since I had it.

This has been bugging me for ages.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Sad lions posted:

Way back when I had an NES I got an action platformer that was set in a futuristic utopia where the big computer had gone haywire or something and turned the place to chaos. If I recall correctly you could select stages freely much like Megaman and one had wind turbines in the background while another was set on/around a space shuttle/rocket launch site. The main character looked kind of like Duke Nukem (maybe, he definitely wore shades in the box art) and I think a boomerang was either his main weapon or a common pickup.
I doubt it was particularly popular since I've not seen hide nor hair of it since I had it.

Shatterhand?

AndyAML
Jul 24, 2006

HEY BASS WHY MUST I FIGHT YOU WE ARE NOT ENEMIES

Sad lions posted:

It's most likely Power Blade, a surprisingly good action-platformer that didn't get a whole lot of coverage. There was also a sequel, Power Blade 2.

TyroneGoldstein
Mar 30, 2005
I guess its worth a shot:

It was an NES game from the late 80's. You played as some sort of Commando style army dude that has to make his way through a country (No, I'm not talking about Ikari Warriors). I want to say it was side scrolling on foot shooter platformer action in a country that looked surprisingly Vietnam like, but there were structures, big ones if I remember right.

The striking part I remember is the map. There was a map of the entire game and I want to say you could choose paths as you went through the game.

I've had a couple stills of this game locked in my head for over 20 years, but I can't remember the drat name for the life of me.

Sad lions
Sep 3, 2008

AndyAML posted:

It's most likely Power Blade, a surprisingly good action-platformer that didn't get a whole lot of coverage. There was also a sequel, Power Blade 2.

Hot drat, that's exactly it! Thank you so much.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

TyroneGoldstein posted:

It was an NES game from the late 80's. You played as some sort of Commando style army dude that has to make his way through a country (No, I'm not talking about Ikari Warriors). I want to say it was side scrolling on foot shooter platformer action in a country that looked surprisingly Vietnam like, but there were structures, big ones if I remember right.

The striking part I remember is the map. There was a map of the entire game and I want to say you could choose paths as you went through the game.

I've had a couple stills of this game locked in my head for over 20 years, but I can't remember the drat name for the life of me.

Platoon? Or Green Beret maybe (for the structures, if you didn't mean the huts)

TyroneGoldstein
Mar 30, 2005

baka kaba posted:

Platoon? Or Green Beret maybe (for the structures, if you didn't mean the huts)

Nah, owned and played both Platoon and Rush N' Attack. It was similar to RnA, now that I think about it. It wasn't Rambo either. Oh God that game was tough.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

TyroneGoldstein posted:

I think you might be thinking of Code Name: Viper.

TyroneGoldstein
Mar 30, 2005

JordanKai posted:

I think you might be thinking of Code Name: Viper.

Oh my lawdy lawd, you figured it out! I just looked it up on Youtube and that's it, map of south america and all!

Thank you so so much! :D

Twitch
Apr 15, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

LvK posted:

Something that's been bugging me lately: Windows 95-98 game, I don't remember gameplay or anything but I think you played as a pre-rendered pyramid and everything else was pre-rendered pyramids with different colors/behaviors. I'm not even sure if I remember liking it, I'm just curious and I seriously think it had a simple name.

I don't know if it was what you were thinking of, but the game I mentioned that your post made me think about is Icebreaker http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r9DJ3TuASvs

Kissing Dad
May 27, 2004

Got two, pretty sure these are real games and I wasn't just dreaming about them. Both of these are really old.

First one, all I really remember is being up in space I think on a ship or a space station, and there was six floors to this place. There was a robot of some sort that went level to level looking for you while you did your thing(I don't know what). And you could set off alarms I believe that made him come after you.

Second one was text based game with some pictures on the left side of the screen. All I can remember is the first room which was your apartment and you had to set your garbage on fire.

Well there goes my terrible descriptions that may or may not have been dreams as a kid.

Cidrick
Jun 10, 2001

Praise the siamese

Kissing Dad posted:

First one, all I really remember is being up in space I think on a ship or a space station, and there was six floors to this place. There was a robot of some sort that went level to level looking for you while you did your thing(I don't know what). And you could set off alarms I believe that made him come after you.

This was asked rather recently, and sounds like Iron Helix

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go
Okay, i'm trying to remember the name of this educational game for the computer from the late 90s or early 2000s. All I can remember is playing this jeopardy style game where you have to identify animal tracks and scat for points.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Kissing Dad posted:

Second one was text based game with some pictures on the left side of the screen. All I can remember is the first room which was your apartment and you had to set your garbage on fire.

Sounds like a Legend game... Spellcasting 101?

Periodiko
Jan 30, 2005
Uh.
Okay here's two ones I'll be really amazed if anyone can ID from my half-assed descriptions. They're both for an old black and white Mac.

The first was an old TADS-style text adventure game. I vividly remember the opening scenario: you are strapped to a table in a mad doctor's lair, who is preparing to vivisect you with a scalpel. If you don't do anything, he eventually kills you. To escape, you have to loosen your bonds enough to grab the scalpel, at which point you can free yourself and kill the doctor. From there, I remember the game being a bit of a dungeon crawler, with D&D-style equipment (chainmail etc.)

The second was probably even more obscure, a top-down game where you move your character on a grid in the style of roguelike. It's a modern day setting, and the name was something like "Gang War". You're a lone guy, and you basically fight guys and take their stuff, but that stuff includes things like guns and flamethrowers.

DebonaireD
May 7, 2007

I'm trying to remember a very old DOS game that I think came out in the mid-80s. All I can remember is that I think it was a international spy theme and there was a large map of the world or part of the world in dark blue. This would have been EGA or maybe even CGA graphics. But it was mostly text-based, and I think the parser and text was on the left hand side of the screen, and the graphics would be on the right.

This game might have come out with a game/application pack that had the really old Digger game on it. This pack had a main screen that was in CGA and had a sort of office with tennis rackets and desk calendars selection image. I think everything was in that ugly CGA light magenta color. If anybody knows the name of this combo pack either I would really appreciate it!

HoldYourFire
Oct 16, 2006

What's the time? It's DEFCON 1!

DebonaireD posted:

I'm trying to remember a very old DOS game that I think came out in the mid-80s. All I can remember is that I think it was a international spy theme and there was a large map of the world or part of the world in dark blue. This would have been EGA or maybe even CGA graphics. But it was mostly text-based, and I think the parser and text was on the left hand side of the screen, and the graphics would be on the right.

Sid Meier's Covert Action doesn't seem to fit perfectly but you could give that a go.

MikeDM92
May 24, 2005
I remember playing this futuristic 3D RTS game where all of your units were robot like things and you could take control of any of your units and drive/walk around and shoot with them in the first person. I remember the default color it started you out as was red and one of the buildings was just a giant dome. If you went inside the dome in first person mode, it was a wide open space with grated floors. The only map I remember was just generic grey/brown crumbled canyons.

I've been trying to find out the name of this game for years now. If anyone could help out that would be amazing!

Edit: I remember one of the units was some kind of spider walker that shot lasers.

DebonaireD
May 7, 2007

HoldYourFire posted:

Sid Meier's Covert Action doesn't seem to fit perfectly but you could give that a go.

That's a good guess but it's not it. The game I'm looking for was a little older and more primitive looking than this, and I don't think it had a big name like Sid Meier attached to it. The airport map in Covert Action looks like the most familiar thing to compare to the game I'm looking for, but I don't recognize the rest of the graphics.

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.
Okay, for sheer nostalgia sake:

PC Racing game, probably late 80's, early 90's, EGA era, set in US 1950's. You built your car in the garage, then went to the diner and arranged races with other drivers. You could race for money or pink slips.

The view in the garage was a 2D graphic, the racing was polygonal roads with a sprite overlay for the car interior. Think Stunts in terms of graphical quality.

E: Never mind, I found it myself with 2 minutes Google in the form of the awesome Street Rod.

Man with Hat
Dec 26, 2007

Open up your Dethday present
It's a box of fucking nothing

Exciting Lemon

MikeDM92 posted:

I remember playing this futuristic 3D RTS game where all of your units were robot like things and you could take control of any of your units and drive/walk around and shoot with them in the first person. I remember the default color it started you out as was red and one of the buildings was just a giant dome. If you went inside the dome in first person mode, it was a wide open space with grated floors. The only map I remember was just generic grey/brown crumbled canyons.

I've been trying to find out the name of this game for years now. If anyone could help out that would be amazing!

Edit: I remember one of the units was some kind of spider walker that shot lasers.

I googled a bit, and Battlezone looks like what you're describing.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Shockeh posted:

Okay, for sheer nostalgia sake:

PC Racing game, probably late 80's, early 90's, EGA era, set in US 1950's. You built your car in the garage, then went to the diner and arranged races with other drivers. You could race for money or pink slips.

The view in the garage was a 2D graphic, the racing was polygonal roads with a sprite overlay for the car interior. Think Stunts in terms of graphical quality.

E: Never mind, I found it myself with 2 minutes Google in the form of the awesome Street Rod.

That game is amazing. It has a sequel too.

I just wish it had some modern equivalent, because the driving is probably the most dated thing.

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.

Mordaedil posted:

That game is amazing. It has a sequel too.

I just wish it had some modern equivalent, because the driving is probably the most dated thing.

Best post avatar combo. The updated version is SR3!

Prenton
Feb 17, 2011

Ner nerr-nerrr ner

DebonaireD posted:

This game might have come out with a game/application pack that had the really old Digger game on it. This pack had a main screen that was in CGA and had a sort of office with tennis rackets and desk calendars selection image. I think everything was in that ugly CGA light magenta color. If anybody knows the name of this combo pack either I would really appreciate it!

Possibly Hacker/Hacker 2?

crashdome
Jun 28, 2011

FrothyDawg posted:

Yes! I've been waiting for this thread to resurface!

There was this RTS I remember playing back in the late 90's. The game had some sort of medieval setting...and I believe it was developed in the UK. I recall it being pretty entertaining but all I remember from the actual gameplay was that the archers had a really distinct sound to them and the units walked around rather slowly. I know this is vague as gently caress but it's been driving me crazy for a while.

Anybody?

Probably Lords of the Realm series. I remember the units moving insanely slow in those games.

Kissing Dad
May 27, 2004

Jerry Cotton posted:

Sounds like a Legend game... Spellcasting 101?

Looks exactly like it but not the one I remember, this one was based in the future I believe, thanks though.

EDIT: Same company but different game, you led me to it thanks. It was Gateway.

Cidrick posted:

This was asked rather recently, and sounds like Iron Helix

Haha yes! Thanks so much that is awesome, never thought I would see the day.

Kissing Dad fucked around with this message at 04:53 on Mar 20, 2012

MikeDM92
May 24, 2005

Man with Hat posted:

I googled a bit, and Battlezone looks like what you're describing.

It's not Battlezone, the game I'm thinking of looked a little better and you also had the option of playing the game in a top down/birds eye view like a traditional RTS.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

MikeDM92 posted:

It's not Battlezone, the game I'm thinking of looked a little better and you also had the option of playing the game in a top down/birds eye view like a traditional RTS.

The only other FPS-RTS hybrid I can think of is Hostile Waters.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Shockeh posted:

Best post avatar combo. The updated version is SR3!

This is sort of true, but I'd like it if I could go into upgrading my car with a screw driver like I could in Street Rod. :allears:

Thematically, yes, SR3 does come kinda close, now if only I could race pinkslip...

DebonaireD
May 7, 2007

Prenton posted:

Possibly Hacker/Hacker 2?

Cool looking games but I don't think this is it. If anything, the game I'm remembering was even older and more text driven.

Save Russian Jews
Jun 7, 2007

who the fuck is this guy anyway, i can't even see his face

Lipstick Apathy

alejandro posted:

It's probably Black Stone which is a shameless Gauntlet rip off. Pretty rigid. Gameplay here.

This was it. Thanks!

saberwulf
Mar 3, 2009

Pipe rifles and snack cakes.
I'm looking for a shooter game that was being designed by an independent developer. The big draw of the game was that at the load out screen, you could choose to equip pretty much every single gun ever made in history before you went into the game (Modern shotguns, WWII snipers, flintlock rifles, ancient matchlock pistols, etc). I remember it being mentioned on the forums a few months ago, since it had been pulled back out of development hell.

saberwulf fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Mar 22, 2012

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

saberwulf posted:

I'm looking for a shooter game that was being designed by an independent developer. The big draw of the game was that at the load out screen, you could choose to equip pretty much every single gun ever made in history before you went into the game (Modern shotguns, WWII snipers, flintlock rifles, ancient matchlock pistols, etc). I remember it being mentioned on the forums a few months ago, since it had been pulled back out of development hell.

Isn't this what Darkest of Days ended up becoming?

saberwulf
Mar 3, 2009

Pipe rifles and snack cakes.

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Isn't this what Darkest of Days ended up becoming?

No, it didn't have DoD's time travel. There was a video before it got abandoned for the first time- The load out screen had a whole list of weapons and when you clicked them, it gave you a full description including combat specs, ammo, years of use, and I'm pretty sure it also had a world map that highlighted areas of use. The play map used in the video was a somewhat generic middle-eastern city.

dads_work_files
May 14, 2008

important_document.avi

saberwulf posted:

Alliance: The Silent War. What a horrid, generic title for such an awesome-looking game. I had no idea it was being worked on again, I had heard the developers had been put to work making Second Life accessories. I guess now nobody plays Second Life any more they're able to actually make something cool and worthwhile again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shrimp fried rice 4-EVA
Feb 2, 2012

Holding my breath and I'm playing for keeps.
I remember playing a game when I was younger but I have only a very slim memory of it. It was a side scrolling 2d platformer with blob creatures as enemies. Very cartoony. You could drop buckets of other slime on them to kill them.

There may or may not have been books or spelling involved and I think you could pick a boy or a girl as your character.

Extremely limited description but the memory is very faint. I just remember thinking it was the best game ever. This is probably DOS - Windows 95 years if it helps.

shrimp fried rice 4-EVA fucked around with this message at 16:22 on Mar 23, 2012

• Locked thread