Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
HenessyHero
Mar 4, 2008

"I thought we had something, Shepard. Something real."
:qq:

Xachariah posted:

I may be in the minority here, but I liked the ending. I chose synthesis, and it's very transhumanist, with synthetics and organics living in harmony in the end.

Edit: The best part about getting to the ending is no longer having to avoid the spoiler tags.

I thought the ending was alright myself. I interpreted the majority of the game as being relevent to its 'epilogue' though, it would very hard to do anything more lengthy at the game's actual end because there's so many different ways things could have gone. I think people would've even settled for a massive DA:O-style text epilogue given the general reaction to the game's ending though, at least for the Destroy and Control endings. Or, at the absolute least, an alternate setting for the final choice far from Reaper children. Synthesis already works as it is for extremely open ended conclusion option. The ending cinematic sequence we got could have been re-cut way better though.

Either way, imho, we already get the gist from talking to people like Tali about how well the Geth-Quarians would co-exist if you got them to make nice, or you got a sense how well the rehabitation was going if you sided with Tali. (I assume the Geth, if you sided with them, would continue to wish for peaceful isolation but I don't know). Same with the Krogan situation stuff, depending on who you leave in charge. I also assume the clip of Shep surviving was intended more as an easter egg for people who extensively played the multiplayer, rather than confirmation that Shep having ridiculously big war assets determines whether he could survive the synthetics obliteration.

It would have been nice if we had more explicit stuff about Pavalen, Thessia, Sur'Kesh and the fate of the multi-species Armanda above Earth, either during the game or post-game, so we could figure out how their lives ended up as a result of Shep's actions (for destroy and control anyway, those endings are equivalent to them). Sur'Kesh seemed fine. Pavalen and Thessia looked only as bad as Earth, so its fair to assume they could get back on their feet but we really don't know about their situations. I think the fleet above Earth should be okay, using conventional FTL a ship could go from the extreme one end of the milky way to the extreme other in ~22-28 years and most species don't have to go nearly that far. The tricky part would be plotting a course back that allows them to pick up fuel, food and convienent discharge points as they go. Vessels would probably need to be overhauled into Quarian-style liveships and fuel tankers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

The price of meat has just gone up, and your old lady has just gone down

RBA Starblade posted:

Yeah. Singleplayer feels like a gently caress you to vanguards half the time. But I'm also hitting a lot of bugs here too.

In general, while I know the intended synergy is with shotguns, I end up going at it differently. If you can be sure to stay in ammo, packing the automatic sniper rifle and a very very light SMG for backup, with a weapon power's added ammo capacity, longer range encounters where you are unable to really play to the Vanguard strengths become much less of a chore. Sort of turns you into a mini-soldier for those instances, but with Pull! And the rest of the time you can human ping-pong all you want. Either the SMG or the auto sniper are killer up close, shooting from the hip.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.

exquisite tea posted:

I'm glad they referenced that for Conrad's appearance in ME3. "I'm sorry if I accused you of pulling a gun on me, even if you didn't. I was under a lot of stress at the time."

That whole exchange was really funny - I laughed at a video game's attempt at humor, and that never happens. Does Conrad get shot for real if you didn't help that girl at Chora's Den? That seemed like a really random insert.

Yep. He does.

Hezzy
Dec 4, 2004

Pillbug
From the Mass Effect facebook page;

quote:

We are aware that there are concerns about a recent post from this account regarding the ending of the game. In this post it was stated that at this time we do not have plans to change the ending.

We would like to clarify that we are actively and seriously taking all player feedback into consideration and have ruled nothing out. At this time we are still collecting and considering your feedback and have not made a decision regarding requests to change the ending.

Your feedback and opinions are of the utmost importance to us. We apologize for any confusion this has caused. Our top priority regarding this discussion is to keep communication with you, our loyal fans, open and productive.

GruntyThrst
Oct 9, 2007

*clang*

Hezzy posted:

"In other words, we're still not changing anything but we're going to limit bad press by saying we're 'taking player feedback into consideration' "

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
What happens if the Normandy runs out of fuel when you are flying to different systems?

HenessyHero
Mar 4, 2008

"I thought we had something, Shepard. Something real."
:qq:

Spacebump posted:

What happens if the Normandy runs out of fuel when you are flying to different systems?

Nothing too bad. EDI just turns the ship back towards the system with nearest relay and you coast there on your last ounce of fuel. You have no control over it.

Boofy
Sep 11, 2001

Spacebump posted:

You automatically fly back to the system with a mass relay with no penalty.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.

Spacebump posted:

You appear in the system with the mass relay with 0 fuel.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Dan Didio posted:

Yep. He does.

In a game released the same year as Whitney Houston's death, no less.

9-Volt Assault
Jan 27, 2007

Beter twee tetten in de hand dan tien op de vlucht.

Hezzy posted:

If they still think they need more feedback on what people want i do not know what the gently caress they are waiting for. THe people who like the ending to finally start posting? :psyduck:

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

Those who are meh/indifferent about the ending = liked the ending. So bioware is only seeing those peoples posts, apparently.

Rape Jake.
Feb 23, 2012

by T. Mascis
So, I don't remember getting an option to persuade the Illusive Man on Mars. Hell, the only time I got a persuade option was with the gay man and I was scared of choosing it in case it locked me into a homosexual relationship. Does that mean I'm poo poo out of luck wrt getting him to put a cap in he own dome?

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

Rape Jake. posted:

So, I don't remember getting an option to persuade the Illusive Man on Mars. Hell, the only time I got a persuade option was with the gay man and I was scared of choosing it in case it locked me into a homosexual relationship. Does that mean I'm poo poo out of luck wrt getting him to put a cap in he own dome?

Sorry, Rape Jake., it's too late, by failing to persuade TIM on Mars on you have now been locked into a very gay relationship with the very gay man who doesn't have a name and is extremely gay.

Rape Jake.
Feb 23, 2012

by T. Mascis

Dan Didio posted:

Sorry, Rape Jake., it's too late, by failing to persuade TIM on Mars on you have now been locked into a very gay relationship with the very gay man who doesn't have a name and is extremely gay.

You fell for my trap. I'm actually a femshep and that post was a joke. :c00lbutt:

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.
I'm starting to get annoyed by all the bits of exposition that are shoehorned in for the ME2 DLC. They feel like a "gently caress you for not buying it" whilst simultaneously spoiling the whole lot of it so you'll not actually want to buy it either.

Take Miranda for example. It almost like her entire character was stripped out of the game just so she could reference the ME2 DLC before appearing in a major mission towards the end.

It's not even subtle. You might as well just have the dialog option be "tell me about the DLC Bioware".

Urdnot Fire
Feb 13, 2012

Kin posted:

I'm starting to get annoyed by all the bits of exposition that are shoehorned in for the ME2 DLC. They feel like a "gently caress you for not buying it" whilst simultaneously spoiling the whole lot of it so you'll not actually want to buy it either.

Take Miranda for example. It almost like her entire character was stripped out of the game just so she could reference the ME2 DLC before appearing in a major mission towards the end.

It's not even subtle. You might as well just have the dialog option be "tell me about the DLC Bioware".

When was this? I legitimately can't remember it.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

Yeah, I can't remember a single time that Miranda referenced a piece of Mass Effect 2 DLC.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
I mean, I guess she talked about Shepard being in prison after Arrival, but that gets referenced pretty heavily in the game, and isn't actually part of the DLC itself. It's a bit of a stretch.

BHB
Aug 28, 2011
Something I just noticed while perusing the codex, On the section for 'extinct races -> protheans' it shows a picture of the cthulhu-monsters that you see statues of on Ilos. Does that change if you have the Javik DLC? Neat little touch if it does.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Watuhboy posted:

Something I just noticed while perusing the codex, On the section for 'extinct races -> protheans' it shows a picture of the cthulhu-monsters that you see statues of on Ilos. Does that change if you have the Javik DLC? Neat little touch if it does.

It's the same either way.

Paul Revere 3000
Dec 8, 2007

So like a pimp I'm pimpin'
I got a boat to eat shrimp in
Nothing wrong with my leg
I'm just B-boy limpin'

Charlie Mopps posted:

If they still think they need more feedback on what people want i do not know what the gently caress they are waiting for. THe people who like the ending to finally start posting? :psyduck:

They're stalling. Bioware hopes that the Retake Mass Effect 3 people will eventually just give up and accept the poo poo ending, although they're forgetting that a lot of hardcore Mass Effect fans are kinda crazy.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Charlie Mopps posted:

Uh, don't you think redoing the entire end sequence of ME3 would take considerable programming, artwork, VO work, money, etc. that requires a little bit more planning than "people on the Internet are unhappy, avert course immediately!" I mean good on them if they respond to player feedback but it ain't gonna happen tomorrow.

Attention Horse
Jan 5, 2012

Yo man, you are out of step with Imhotep!
I hope that they never fix the ending, that would be ridiculous. Mass Effect ends this way, period. I don't like it and most fans also don't like it, but adding or replacing the ending doesn't change anything, cause the old one would still be the "real one", the "first one". Besides, did anyone ever heard of a game company changing the ending of the game because the fans don't like it? That would be just insane.

Fans don't make Mass Effect - Bioware does. That's why they should make whatever ending they like, even if it's terrible from our perspective. Changing the ending would just feel wrong and dirty.

Aristobulus
Mar 20, 2007

Slap omni-gel on
everything.

These avatars paid for Lowtax new boat.

Attention Horse posted:

I hope that they never fix the ending, that would be ridiculous. Mass Effect ends this way, period. I don't like it and most fans also don't like it, but adding or replacing the ending doesn't change anything, cause the old one would still be the "real one", the "first one". Besides, did anyone ever heard of a game company changing the ending of the game because the fans don't like it? That would be just insane.

Fans don't make Mass Effect - Bioware does. That's why they should make whatever ending they like, even if it's terrible from our perspective. Changing the ending would just feel wrong and dirty.

You're kidding, right? Endings have been changed before. Ever heard of Broken Steel for Fallout? And books/movies get their ending changed all the time.

Aside from that, they don't even have to get rid of, or change, the existing endings to solve this. They can keep it exactly the same, except a dlc adds in a 4th option for Shepard to refuse to take any of the 3 choices presented to him, and that gets a new ending, OR, Shepard can take one of those 3 choices and it proceeds exactly as it does now.

Attention Horse
Jan 5, 2012

Yo man, you are out of step with Imhotep!

Aristobulus posted:

Ever heard of Broken Steel for Fallout?

You're right, forgot about that one. Pretty terrible DLC.

Aristobulus posted:

And books/movies get their ending changed all the time.

They do, but only before the actual release date, not after.

I think adding a new ending would be ok, but they definitely shouldn't change a thing in the current endings.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

Attention Horse posted:

That is an insanely arbitrary distinction to make.

EDIT: Also, it ignores the wealth of books and movies that have had their endings changed post-release with stuff like Director's Cuts, etc. etc.

fivegears4reverse
Apr 4, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Dan Didio posted:

That is an insanely arbitrary distinction to make.

EDIT: Also, it ignores the wealth of books and movies that have had their endings changed post-release with stuff like Director's Cuts, etc. etc.

Dramatic changes to the finales of movies are not as common as people think, but it's not as rare as others think. Many times, the stuff is planned out well in advance, since it's a pretty useful marketing tool for movie distributors looking to get extra mileage out of a film.

Honestly, if this is the way they intended the games to end, then it is what it is. But even as someone who LIKES the general idea of the endings, it'd have been nice if they'd been A) handled better, with greater attention to detail, B) there'd been a lot more options/scenes to enhance the experience long time fans with imported characters for the endings, and C) give the people who wanted a happier ending what they want because I can't think of a time where that has really hurt anyone.

Snicker-Snack
Jul 2, 2010
Yeah, while I didn't care much for the idea of the endings, the terrible execution was what really killed it for me.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Attention Horse posted:

Isn't Broken Steel one of the better Fallout 3 DLCs (along with Point Lookout)?

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

Books can be rewritten after publication too. Tolkien revised parts of The Hobbit to mesh with he story he told in LotR about the discovery of the ring.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Attention Horse posted:

I think adding a new ending would be ok, but they definitely shouldn't change a thing in the current endings.

Yeah because they have focus groups to test endings before they are released. (In some cases movies with smaller releases have their endings changed when it gets a larger release)

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

Noxville posted:

Books can be rewritten after publication too. Tolkien revised parts of The Hobbit to mesh with he story he told in LotR about the discovery of the ring.

In the case of Jack Ketchum's Off Season, publisher requested the ending changed because it was that much of a sledgehammer downer so the first run of the book had the different ending until it went out of print. Ketchum had it re-released with the original ending some years back so both versions are still out there.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

The MSJ posted:

Isn't Broken Steel one of the better Fallout 3 DLCs (along with Point Lookout)?

Sure, if you like awful unbalanced enemies.

CaptainCarrot
Jun 9, 2010

Attention Horse posted:

Fans don't make Mass Effect - Bioware does.
Except Casey Hudson explicitly said fans were as much authors of the saga as Bioware. So basically, everything you said was wrong, and was debunked long before you said it.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

You don't ever romance Cortez do you? That'd be creepy as hell considering he's still mourning his husband but half my dialogue options seem to be like I'm coming on to him.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

RBA Starblade posted:

You don't ever romance Cortez do you? That'd be creepy as hell considering he's still mourning his husband but half my dialogue options seem to be like I'm coming on to him.

He's a romance option for Meer's Shepard. Most of your interactions with him prior to that are about him dealing with his husband's death.

Shirkelton fucked around with this message at 13:16 on Mar 19, 2012

skoolmunkee
Jun 27, 2004

Tell your friends we're coming for them

Dan Didio posted:

He's a romance option for Meer's Shepard. Most of your interactions with him prior to that are about him dealing with his husband's death.

Cortez is ME3's Thane, only more.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

skoolmunkee posted:

Cortez is ME3's Thane, only more.

Of course you'd compare a hispanic man to a fish-man. You humans are all racist.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Wouldn't be the first grieving widow a Bioware protagonist romance. There was Jaheira in Baldur's Gate 2.

• Locked thread