Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009
We're all rooting for you, Tom! I'll be picking up Volume 2 and putting up a donation as soon as I get my PayPal account straightened out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zeekner
Jul 14, 2007

hahahahahaha

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Tea-san posted:

Oh, Zim and Gams are back in the next chapter.

'Zim and Gams' has forever altered my perception of those characters, I hope you know.

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

The bonds of blood transcend all others.
But no blood runs stronger than that of Sanguinius
Grimey Drawer
Those last two panels :shobon:

Fecha
Nov 4, 2006

Did I... did I miss anything important?
Pssh, Annie isn't the sort to wait for a boy to ask her out. First she'll throw his gift in his face and insult him behind his back.

.Z.
Jan 12, 2008

Whoo, wallpaper donations. Donated the money I saved buying the books off Amazon instead of TopatoCo.

Also, finally took a look at Tea-san's tumblr.

1. Please make the halloween costume picture a print.
2. Dear god I want the tall coyote in his less defined form print.

Mitsuo
Jul 4, 2007
What does this box do?
I remember first reading this maybe in 2006? 2007? I didn't use RSS or anything, and I wasn't paying attention to how consistent updates were. I think I ended up accidentally skipping a bit too much and eventually dropped it.

Then I picked it up again a week ago due to recommendations, and holy poo poo this is my #1 webcomic now. Cucumber Quest and Zebra Girl might be 2 and 3, but GC has both amazingly good art and plot and is consistently updated.

AKA pretty much the best possible comic for someone to try and make a full-time living off of.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

HelloIAmYourHeart posted:

I find it slightly worrying that Tom draws himself as a Zimmy-esque person.

Pretty sure he's been doing that since before Gunnerkrigg, so it's more he draws Zimmy as a self-portrait-esque person.

a boxing teahorse
May 17, 2010
Man, the expressions on this page are great.

Which is super weird, because most of them are from Anthony, Antimony, and Donald aka the stone-faced ultra brigade.

ephphatha
Dec 18, 2009

Geekner posted:

hahahahahaha

So great.

I also chucked some money Toms way to make up for buying off Amazon, but that was before the wallpaper went up. What resolutions does it come in? May need to find an excuse to give more money.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Well played, Tommy Siddel, well played. :golfclap:

Man, the story how Anthony somehow managed to get together with Surma is going to be worth waiting for.

Roger Explosion
Jan 26, 2006

THAT'S SPECTACULAR.
Can I run a suggestion by Tom and anyone here with regards to the whole donate => get wallpaper thing? How about conducting it like a donation drive? As in, have a set amount of donations and if/when it reaches that amount, release the full size wallpaper for everyone. Get one of those thermometer things to show everyone how far along we are until glorious artwork. I don't know how successful the current way of doing it is, but this suggestion may stop your stuff from showing up on 4chan or something as soon as you send if to someone. If it works, it'd be a good source of fairly consistent income.

Also dear god that banner is loving horrifying goddamn.

Revolver Bunker
May 12, 2004

「この一撃にかけるっ!」
Super excited for you Tom. I wish you the best of luck. Once you're ready to start up commissions I'm definitely shooting you a request.

Tea-san
Nov 6, 2003

I realise all the wallpapers have probably been posted to 4chan already, but I'm not really losing any money there. If people aren't willing to spend literally 1c on the thing (there is no lower limit on the donation) then I wasn't going to get their support anyway. I'll probably make older wallpapers free as I do more anyway.

I thought about having a drive type thing, and I might do that for extra comics in the future. The main difference is that it sets an upper limit for earnings instead of the potential to earn a smaller amount over a longer time.

SHAOLIN FUCKFIEND
Jan 21, 2008

Geekner posted:

hahahahahaha

How can I not wish you all the best luck, when I get to see such beauty? :allears:

Krabkolash
Dec 7, 2006

With this hand I rolled 8d20

AND GOT 160.
A drive only sets an upper limit to earnings if you go absolutely dry for ideas for potential rewards as your top goal is met.

Either way, threw some money in your way because your comic is about the only one left I look forward to updating every time.

Good luck!

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

Ephphatha posted:

So great.

I also chucked some money Toms way to make up for buying off Amazon, but that was before the wallpaper went up. What resolutions does it come in? May need to find an excuse to give more money.
Resolutions:
1280x800, 1280x1024, 1600x1200, 1920x1080, 1920x1200

This is a really nice wallpaper.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL
Tom, congrats on the move and best of luck to you!

Also, let me know when you start taking commissions, because I've been itching for a Coyote quarter-sleeve tattoo for a while now. :D

Geomancing
Jan 8, 2004

I am not an egghead. I am well-read.
I noticed this morning that Book 1 finally went back into stock on the Topataco site, so I immediately purchased it. My sister has flipped through my Book 3, and she said while it looked good it's a bit of a gap to work around, not knowing who any of these characters are.

I think I'll get a Court Symbol shirt too, it's nice and simple.

weavernaut
Sep 12, 2007

i'm so glad to have made such an interesting new friend

idonotlikepeas posted:

:can:

Well, Tom hasn't fully explained that yet, and I'm not sure how much he'll ever get into it, but we do know a few things:

1. She is in some measure or to some degree a human being. She is not literally a demon or an otherworldly monster.
2. She has magical delusions that alter the way she sees reality. In extreme cases, she can bring people into the altered versions of reality with her, and the delusions can have lasting effects.
3. There are intelligences which exist in her altered reality, some of which want to escape.
4. The altered states of reality are not precisely bound by her current time - she may see representations of past or future events.
5. She cannot control these abilities to any great degree, only suppress them through some effort of will.
6. Gamma (and to a lesser degree Annie) can cancel out the delusions as long as they aren't fooled by them.
7. When it rains, the ethereal energy (more unanswered questions there) temporarily allows her relief from her abilities.
8. Being in a library offers some degree of protection as well.
9. Zimmy and Gamma can communicate with each other telepathically. They don't actually speak a common language.
10. The horrible mental landscape she goes to is a nightmare version of Birmingham. She's said she'll die there one day.
11. She can tell when she is being watched, and hates it.
12. The black crust around her eyes is mostly symbolic rather than literal.

Things that aren't totally clear:

1. Do the delusions have true physical effects, or are they purely mental/magical constructs?
2. What do libraries have in common with rain and Gamma and Annie?
3. Why are so many of the negative things seemingly associated with spiders?
4. Where do these abilities come from?
5. What will happen with them long term? Is she getting worse or better?

There's probably more stuff, too; I imagine other people have other perspectives on this.

My theory is that Zimmy suffered something really awful in Birmingham, probably somehow related to the etheric energies and it's gotten her somehow ... mentally stuck in Birmingham. Like it's magic PTSD and her altered reality is like a flashback.

I dunno, Zimmy's general demeanour screams "serious trauma" to me.

That or I'm massively projecting my own issues onto an elemental-descendent/demonic teenager. :v:

Tea-san posted:

This is it. I hope this first week goes well.

Oh, Zim and Gams are back in the next chapter.

Best of luck! You deserve it so much.

Also, good. They're my favourites.

EDIT: The donation wallpaper is gorgeous, but is there any chance of getting one in 1680 x 1050? :shobon: I realise that's probably not a common resolution, so it's cool if I don't get it, I'll just use one of the larger ones.

weavernaut fucked around with this message at 15:06 on Mar 19, 2012

Fighting Trousers
May 17, 2011

Does this excite you, girl?
I move for a thread title change. The Finer Arts > Batman's Shameful Secret > Gunnerkrigg Court (Tea-San Appreciation Station)

cultureulterior
Jan 27, 2004
I'm all about the oil paintings. As soon as Tom offers them again, I'll be all over that.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER
Once I get my own place I will be all over those oil paintings.

RickoniX
Dec 4, 2005

A human or elf?

NO NOT A BADGER YOU GOON
I'd totally buy a black velvet Ysengrin

Cavatica
Nov 2, 2010

I would donate an entire limb for some sweet android/iPhone wallpapers. Also, volume 1 should be here any day now! :dance:

Tubgirl Cosplay
Jan 10, 2011

by Ion Helmet
Oh poo poo oil paintings i want 20

Ironic Twist posted:

So she's made of bismuth?

I'm still not really clear on where the whole metal/alchemical theme is going, but crystal seeding (what you'd do with Bismuth) is the introduction to an unstable solution of a nucleus around which it rapidly begins organizing, imitating its pattern and structure

Think Ice-9.

weavernaut posted:

My theory is that Zimmy suffered something really awful in Birmingham, probably somehow related to the etheric energies and it's gotten her somehow ... mentally stuck in Birmingham. Like it's magic PTSD and her altered reality is like a flashback.

I dunno, Zimmy's general demeanour screams "serious trauma" to me.

That or I'm massively projecting my own issues onto an elemental-descendent/demonic teenager. :v:

Where'd you get the Birmingham thing from? I assumed because of Gamma she was retrieved in Poland, and just happens to speak English because she also knows it/is a creepy magical demon child

Mr. Vile
Nov 25, 2009

And, where there is treasure, there will be Air Pirates.

Tubgirl Cosplay posted:

Oh poo poo oil paintings i want 20

I'm still not really clear on where the whole metal/alchemical theme is going, but crystal seeding (what you'd do with Bismuth) is the introduction to an unstable solution of a nucleus around which it rapidly begins organizing, imitating its pattern and structure

Think Ice-9.

Where'd you get the Birmingham thing from? I assumed because of Gamma she was retrieved in Poland, and just happens to speak English because she also knows it/is a creepy magical demon child

http://www.gunnerkrigg.com/archive_page.php?comicID=190

As far as I can tell Zimmy doesn't actually speak Polish and Gamma doesn't speak English, so they can only talk to one another telepathically. Zimmy translates what other people are saying for Gamma, but her translations are, uh, not always entirely accurate.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
Just ordered Volume 1 from Topatoco, gonna have to wait on another paycheck to get Volume 2. Here's hoping this works out Tom!

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

This reasoning is possible for forums user idonotlikepeas!

Tea-san posted:

I thought about having a drive type thing, and I might do that for extra comics in the future. The main difference is that it sets an upper limit for earnings instead of the potential to earn a smaller amount over a longer time.

I think this would be pretty excellent. You could even use a UK kickstarter equivalent (there's one called Crowdfunder that I saw, for instance) and say "when I get to X money, I'll do the story about how Zimmy met Gamma" or whatever it might be.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

Tea-san posted:

Kickstarter-type drives often work very well in this regard, as if you offer [product] to everyone who donates above a certain threshold, anyone who wants said project AND/OR wants to contribute to the net profit is encouraged to donate in the short term. But even after the short-term is completed, you can still sell the product at normal pricing over the long time scale; in other words, the drive operates more as a preorder-drive that makes it so the product can come into being, you know?

Just toss on some higher order "get a painting" type stuff at higher tiers and roll into the bank.

.Z.
Jan 12, 2008

Zorak posted:

Kickstarter-type drives often work very well in this regard, as if you offer [product] to everyone who donates above a certain threshold, anyone who wants said project AND/OR wants to contribute to the net profit is encouraged to donate in the short term. But even after the short-term is completed, you can still sell the product at normal pricing over the long time scale; in other words, the drive operates more as a preorder-drive that makes it so the product can come into being, you know?

Just toss on some higher order "get a painting" type stuff at higher tiers and roll into the bank.

Do this. Do this now Tea-san.

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.
I was talking to a game dev friend over the weekend and he was saying Kickstarter type set ups are really difficult to pull off in the UK because of the way our investment laws work. Essentially every donor to a "kickstarter" would essentially be classified as an investor, with all the attendant crap that entails. It's the reason that no one has been able to just clone Kickstarter for the UK market. I'm sure someone will be able to find some workaround or loophole at some point, but for now it's a bit of a legal minefield

weavernaut
Sep 12, 2007

i'm so glad to have made such an interesting new friend

Tubgirl Cosplay posted:

I think one of the statues in Zimmy's nightmare zone was from Birmingham and I just assumed that yeah, that place is a nightmare Birmingham.

In any case, Zimmy strikes me as British. :shobon: I assumed she had met Gamma in Britain. Polish and other Eastern Bloc immigrants are pretty common on the British Isles, so.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.

weavernaut posted:

I think one of the statues in Zimmy's nightmare zone was from Birmingham and I just assumed that yeah, that place is a nightmare Birmingham.

I dunno, it looks a lot nicer than the real life Birmingham to me

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Fatkraken posted:

I was talking to a game dev friend over the weekend and he was saying Kickstarter type set ups are really difficult to pull off in the UK because of the way our investment laws work. Essentially every donor to a "kickstarter" would essentially be classified as an investor, with all the attendant crap that entails. It's the reason that no one has been able to just clone Kickstarter for the UK market. I'm sure someone will be able to find some workaround or loophole at some point, but for now it's a bit of a legal minefield

Actually....

Bongo Bill posted:

I've done a bit of research to see whether there are similar services that operate in the UK, and it turns out there are, both UK-specific and international. I have no idea if any of these are appropriate for comics, reputable, or otherwise non-useless, but my search turned up Indiegogo, Rockethub, Crowdfunder, Ulule, Wefund, and Wedidthis.

Daius
Sep 10, 2010

weavernaut posted:

My theory is that Zimmy suffered something really awful in Birmingham,

This is called "living in Birmingham" and it has yet to give me any magical abilities, to my chagrin.

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

Tom posted:

Topatoco. I hope to have more things up here now that I can spend the time to think about them. More shirts? Sure! Prints and all that? Yes! Special things such as Coyote plushies, hoodies, more books and anything else I can think of? Heck yes I hope so!

This is the best news.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

.Z. posted:

Do this. Do this now Tea-san.
Kickstarter is US only.
edit: At least I think it is?

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Elysiume posted:

Kickstarter is US only.