Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jenkin
Jan 21, 2003

Piracy is our only option.

dino. posted:

When Puppy and I watched Gentlemen Prefer Blondes, I was squealing with delight. Marilyn Monroe OWNS. She is a goddess. So is Merly Streep, but Marilyn Monroe. Homans. Did you see all those dresses? I could have died! She was absolutely divine.

Some Like It Hot is the best Marilyn movie. The ending is amazing.

This weekend is my brother's wedding and my girlfriend is my plus one. I've never brought a girlfriend to a wedding before. We're sitting with my lesbian cousin and my conservative uncle, so it should be lively if nothing else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
My PID controller is finally stateside from the PRC so I'm planning on having my sous vizzle setup running by the week's end! I'm sad the thread was shuttered but I've read through it many times and am really excited. I am thinking the multi-day short ribs or duck breasts for my first proteins depending on what the CSA delivers this week. If it's asparagus then I'm going steak.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
I went to make Bananas Foster tonight and when I went to light my rum I realized it was only 70 proof and wouldn't flame, so no cool light show with desert. On the bright side, the delay from the liquor confusion had the bonus of causing little bits of toffee to form in my caramel which turned out to be really good.

Anyway, two band updates. I think I've come up with a good idea for a name. And we've been propositioned to open for the Joy Formidable when they come through town, which is pretty good considering that we haven't played a single show together yet. So I guess that means that our sound is at least moving in the right direction.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

You can totally light up 70 proof, you just need to warm it up a bit first.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

SubG posted:

Yeah, I feel the same way about Michael Pollan and mindphlux.

lolé

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

Kenning posted:

You can totally light up 70 proof, you just need to warm it up a bit first.

Yes but I was impatient and I'm not used to having 70 proof around.

snailshell
Aug 26, 2010

I LOVE BIG WET CROROCDILE PUSSYT
Are girl scout cookies supposed to be good? I vaguely remember the shortbreads and shortbread-with-chocolate as being all right, but I started to have a samoa and I couldn't even finish the bite that was in my mouth.

I think it's like the mcrib, artificial scarcity excites the market.

bolo yeung
Apr 23, 2010

snailshell posted:

Are girl scout cookies supposed to be good? I vaguely remember the shortbreads and shortbread-with-chocolate as being all right, but I started to have a samoa and I couldn't even finish the bite that was in my mouth.

I'm down with the samoas and peanut butter patties.

The Macaroni
Dec 20, 2002
...it does nothing.

therattle posted:

She's amazing! Thanks.

Here is a special picture for GWS: the littlest goon with spoon

Squee! A good goon with spoon.

I'm so glad we got on to baby pictures, grammar discussion, and Marilyn Monroe. Things were looking kinda grody here ITT for a bit.

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

tHROW SOME D"s ON THAT BIZNATCH
It's almost dirt candy season. Ramps are coming. Pickles, Pizza, Pesto, OH MY!

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...

snailshell posted:

Thinmints are the best mints :colbert:

Very Strange Things
May 21, 2008
gently caress a Girl Scout Cookie. They manage to raise the price and put slightly fewer cookies in a package every year or two. Those Samoas now have about 12 cookies in the box -they just keep increasing the distance between each cookie partition on the plastic cookie holder thingy.
And yeah, once you have had good cookies it becomes clear that they are not good cookies. I still like to support that organization a little, what with their militant dyke abortionist war on Christmas agenda and whatnot.

Made some shells and cheese sauce yesterday. I always thought that the milk-boiling part of making a bechamel was an unnecessary, fussy, extra step. What a fool I've been.

Happy Hat
Aug 11, 2008

He just wants someone to shake his corks, is that too much to ask??

Very Strange Things posted:

gently caress a Girl Scout Cookie. They manage to raise the price and put slightly fewer cookies in a package every year or two. Those Samoas now have about 12 cookies in the box -they just keep increasing the distance between each cookie partition on the plastic cookie holder thingy.
And yeah, once you have had good cookies it becomes clear that they are not good cookies. I still like to support that organization a little, what with their militant dyke abortionist war on Christmas agenda and whatnot.

Made some shells and cheese sauce yesterday. I always thought that the milk-boiling part of making a bechamel was an unnecessary, fussy, extra step. What a fool I've been.

Doesn't the american scouting organizations have views on homosexuality? I think I heard something about that at some point in time?

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
The boy scouts still hate gays, jews, and (unofficially) black people. The girl scouts are much more progressive, and have been in the news lately because of their more worldly views on religion, gender and sexuality.

Darval
Nov 20, 2007

Shiny.
What the gently caress, really? And here I was, respecting all scouts universally. I was a blue boy scout in Denmark.

The Macaroni
Dec 20, 2002
...it does nothing.
(US) Boy Scouts hate black folks and Jews? Hadn't heard about that.

I was a very unhappy Boy Scout and I wouldn't wish it on my kids. Girl Scouts sounds a lot more fun to me: you get to cook and learn finance!

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Well as you may know Macaroni, the us boy scouts have more recently been taken over by the mormons, so I don't know if that makes them more or less progressive. I was just going off their devoutly christian leaning, and the fact that at the two troops I checked out when I was kid, I heard scout leaders saying racist things. I never joined because of that.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

It depends on your locality. Here, there's only Mormon troops. But when I grew up (as a Scout), the troops were run by rocket scientists and aerospace engineers, so while we never once talked about God or social issues, we did spend a lot of time watching napalm strikes at test ranges and being an unsanctioned Air Explorers unit.

pnumoman
Sep 26, 2008

I never get the last word, and it makes me very sad.
I wanted to join the boy scouts once. Went to some meetings to see what it was like; all they did was sit in a church meeting room and eat fig newtons and drink ice tea. Also, the scout leader was this creepy looking dude who read out of this boy scout manual and mumbled a lot.

My mom was on a 'no quitting' policy so she demanded I keep with it after I told her my initial impressions. Then she learned that I'd have to get a uniform and that we'd have to pay for it, so after a quick price check on those things, I was given full license to never attend one of those meetings again.

The Macaroni
Dec 20, 2002
...it does nothing.

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

Well as you may know Macaroni, the us boy scouts have more recently been taken over by the mormons, so I don't know if that makes them more or less progressive. I was just going off their devoutly christian leaning, and the fact that at the two troops I checked out when I was kid, I heard scout leaders saying racist things. I never joined because of that.
Ah. Boy scouts are definitely anti-gay, but they're inclusive of other races, and definitely inclusive of other religions when they're not a church-sponsored troop. I actually got the Hindu religion badge when I was a Cub scout, or something like it.

But yeah, they've definitely been co-opted by the LDS church in the West. Which is a pity. I like Mr. Wiggles' experience and it's what I was hoping to get from Boy Scouts. (Result was much different. Edit: not in a religious way. I had a really awesome Cub scout troop leader who was like what Wiggles described--then he had a tragic accident, and the guy who took over was a huge douchebag who thought the troop should be a kind of junior ROTC.)

The Macaroni fucked around with this message at 17:54 on Mar 19, 2012

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.
I loved Some Like it Hot. I thought Ms. Monroe was absolutely charming in it. Unlike in Gentlemen Prefer Blondes, she didn't quite steal the show, but provided a nice backdrop, which was lovely, I think. I don't know; I guess that even though I preferred her /range/ in Some Like it Hot, I really adored how they dolled her up in Gentlemen Prefer Blondes. How could you not fall in love with an actress who has the audience captivated with such poise and glamour?

I wish I'd discovered her films earlier. It would have given me something to look up to as a kid. I didn't watch them sooner, because I thought she played a sultry sex symbol, rather than a comedy role. She had the whole package: looks, personality, and a gorgeous voice. And those dresses. :sigh: So beautiful.

@Jury & TheRattle: Funny thing is that I've always been the same level of ... fabulous, and yet my dad was still shocked when I came out to him at the age of 25. Seriously, dude. You've spent hours a day with me. How could you /not/ know?

The Macaroni
Dec 20, 2002
...it does nothing.
Is your family cool with you and your husband, dino? My Jewish family cut me off for marrying a non-Jew. Couldn't imagine if I'd had to come out to them. :(

Phummus
Aug 4, 2006

If I get ten spare bucks, it's going for a 30-pack of Schlitz.
In my home town, the boy scouts were a way for the dads to all get together and hang out while the boys ostensibly learned something. What I learned is that boy scouting sucked.

Also, there is a gorilla lose in the zoo in my town. SWAT teams on site.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

all boy scouts have always already been taken over by their insane bored powertripping parents who just want to pretend they're in their teens again and live vicariously through their sons in the weirdest way possible. even before taking religion and dumb political views into account, boy scouting is pretty much doomed to the worst kind of failure.

I was never involved as a kid, despite my parents really wanting me to be. They got to my two younger brothers before they were old enough to say 'no way', so I saw the insane poo poo they had to go through. crazy, crazy people are 'den leaders', and the sort of racist, classist, insane dramabomb fudgepipes that are squabbles between parents are enough to drive a kid to madness.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
in before 'mindphlux was raped by the boyscouts'

Phummus
Aug 4, 2006

And the list of things that mindphlux hates grows longer and longer.

Edit: If you had a quart of raw milk, what would you make with it?

Phummus fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Mar 19, 2012

CuddleChunks
Sep 18, 2004

I lucked out and had a bunch of ex-military folks for Scout leaders. Our hikes were a bit more brutal than others, but we had ready access to spiffy combat boots, drinks and smokes thanks to the older brothers of the guys in the troop. Whole lotta learning went on while the leaders went off to bed.

I mostly learned that Tang is *not* a substitute for orange juice as a mixer.

I learned that you must pace yourself when combining liquor and tobacco or you'll be sick as hell.

Finally, I learned the lyrics to a half dozen Iron Maiden songs that we'd shout out while hiking.

:unsmith: Good times.

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

I had a good boy scouting experience. We did a lot of camping, toured an Air Force base once, learned a lot of little quality-of-civic-life things that nobody teaches like how to retire a worn out flag, proper distance between latrine and campfire, and how to prepare a whole meal using nothing but a pocket knife, aluminum foil, and a magnifying glass. We did a two week stint in the Boundary Waters carrying everything on our backs, which was a hell of a lot of fun. Also having Eagle Scout in my resume is apparently some kind of magical gets-things-done endorsement to a lot of HR people.

Phummus posted:

Edit: If you had a quart of raw milk, what would you make with it?
Cheese.

Phummus
Aug 4, 2006

bartolimu posted:

Cheese.

Give me more to work with here. I've made cheese with just milk and an acid (Lemon juice or vinegar) before. I've never done a renant cheese. Any suggestions for what kind of cheese would be most desirable?

Drink and Fight
Feb 2, 2003

In Girl Scouts all we ever did was say the Pledge of Allegiance and sing songs about friendship. Also I had to sell a fuckton of cookies. I wanted out on the first day but my mom was on a no-quitting tear too. I was stuck in there once a week for three years, listening to impossibly fat women lecture us on the importance of being kind (of course the minute they thought we weren't listening, it was bitch, bitch, bitch). My dad called the pair of them Thunder Thighs. A couple of times I got sent to camp to drink watered-down Kool-Aid, and on several occasions the other girls filled my sleeping bag with dirt.

I just wanted to stay home and read about dragons. :(

CuddleChunks
Sep 18, 2004

Bart - sounds like you and I had similar Scouting experiences. I got to travel to the vast foreign wilderness of Canada as part of my International Scouting badge and meet cutie pie Canadian girlies and rock out to Rush as we zoomed around with one of the local leader guys. I got to hike Camp Philmont, learn how to construct things, how to be a leader (Brownsea training), what chemicals were most flammable when making bear repellant devices (Off camp spray topped our list), and loads of other odd life skilsl I'd have never gotten through sitting around playing video games.

I had a Mormon leader for a while in Webelos and he was a really awesome guy. He looked like a Norman Rockwell painting of Scouting come to life, was really enthusiastic about working with us and the religion stuff was kept to a bare minimum. He was respectful of other faiths and helped us make a kickass cannon powered by calcium carbide. Hahahah we ruined the sleep of the neighborhood a few times with that thing.

It makes me sad to think that my experiences were the exception rather than the norm. Then again, my dad had a lovely time too - their leader had them do a big fundraiser for new camping gear and then skipped town with the money. The troop disbanded and he never got a chance to get his Eagle. :(

Jenkin
Jan 21, 2003

Piracy is our only option.

dino. posted:

I loved Some Like it Hot. I thought Ms. Monroe was absolutely charming in it. Unlike in Gentlemen Prefer Blondes, she didn't quite steal the show, but provided a nice backdrop, which was lovely, I think. I don't know; I guess that even though I preferred her /range/ in Some Like it Hot, I really adored how they dolled her up in Gentlemen Prefer Blondes. How could you not fall in love with an actress who has the audience captivated with such poise and glamour?

That's very true. I haven't watched Gentlemen for awhile, I'll have to revisit it. part of what I find so awesome is the subversion of the last line of Some Like It Hot and how it got past the censors of the time.

I was in the girl scouts for a long time and it was pretty fun overall. 4-H had better camp though. I still like the trefoil/shortbread cookies, but most of the others never really appealed to me.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through
4-H camp was great!

Learned all about pressure points in first aid so I could inflict pain on everyone I knew*, as well as CPR, swimming, singing, campfires, shooting ranges, hiking nature trails, making a lamp, enormous bubbles, egg races, three-leg races, and other camp games, canoeing, etc.

Ahhh.

*= Not their intended use.

----------------------------------------------

THIS IS NOT HOW HEAT WORKS:

bolo yeung
Apr 23, 2010

Phummus posted:

Give me more to work with here. I've made cheese with just milk and an acid (Lemon juice or vinegar) before. I've never done a renant cheese. Any suggestions for what kind of cheese would be most desirable?

Panela is an awesome fresh cheese made with rennet. When it's freshly made it's really soft and oozing milk and sorta melty. If you let it dry out for a couple of days in your fridge uncovered it loses its meltiness and becomes grillable like haloumi. Panela en salsa verde/roja owns.

Edit: Then you can make requesón with the leftover whey! Tacos dorados/flautas de requesón also happen to own.

Darval
Nov 20, 2007

Shiny.

mediaphage posted:

Of course it works! Just turn the shiny side of the foil outwards! :suicide:

CuddleChunks
Sep 18, 2004

mediaphage posted:

Canadian Thermodynamics.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

CuddleChunks posted:

Canadian Thermodynamics.
How's Canada's space programme,

Safety Engineer
Jun 13, 2008

The scouting program in Utah is...well it's nothing like the one I did with my dad after we first moved back to the states. Tried it out with my son a year ago, I was kind of excited for him to have the fun I did when I was kid.

We both decided not to go back after the first meeting, it was boring as all hell and was basically endless prayer sessions followed by a discussion on how you really should get your Eagle if you plan on doing a mission. I'm not being facetious or sarcastic in the slightest bit either.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Well considering Canada's lack of experience with heat...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CuddleChunks
Sep 18, 2004

therattle posted:

How's Canada's space programme,

Courteous! :canada: